Jets QB coach takes some blame

Ken Schroy

Jets QB coach takes some blame (J.P. Pelzman)

The Record

November 12, 2014

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/football/qb-coach-takes-some-blame-1.1131570

FLORHAM PARK – Being benched has led to plenty of soul-searching for Geno Smith recently.

The same holds true for his position coach. "I take it all personal," Jets quarterbacks coach David Lee said Tuesday when asked how much he blames himself for Smith's failure to develop this season. "It isn't easy physically, emotionally or mentally [for me]," Lee added, "because I am the quarterback coach and we want to see [smith] progress and become consistent, use his legs, become more accurate, make better decisions. When he doesn't, it bothers me because you feel like you [either] have done as good of a job with him as you could, or you missed something. I do take it personal." Lee, speaking to reporters for the first time since Aug. 26, said Smith was benched because he was "very inconsistent. You just want a more consistent performance from your quarterback." Lee said that after Smith threw three first-quarter interceptions in a loss to Buffalo on Oct. 26, "we had to do what we did." Which was insert Michael Vick as the new starter. In his first two starts as a Jet, Vick has compiled a passer rating of over 100 each time and has played turnover-free. Vick's "skills are still really good," Lee said. "He is 34, but he has a really young body. … I think the best thing is in these two games that he's been the starter, he's [had] a real look about him in his eyes." The fact that Vick still is a fierce competitor begs the question of why the Jets didn't let him compete with Smith before handing the second-year pro the starting job in the off-season based on the progress the Jets believed Smith had made late in the 2013 season. "I would not look back and do anything differently," Lee said of his input into the quarterback decisions. "I am not going to second-guess anything we have done. I think we have done the right things. There's no looking back here." Looking ahead, the picture is murky. Vick's age and his injury-prone history could make the Jets think twice about re-signing him after the 2014 season, when he will be a free agent. "I like it here, but that's not my decision to make," Vick said of possibly staying with the Jets beyond this season. "I can't predetermine or make a decision on what's going to happen. Because the minute you start setting your sights on something, or you want something too much, then if it doesn't happen for you, then it's a big disappointment." And what about Smith? Lee indicated that Smith must do a better job of translating classroom learning to on-field performance to improve. "He knows everything about this offense so much better than he did a year ago," Lee said. "There is no confusion on his part as to who to read, how do we progress this particular route. He just has to perform when the game is happening at a high level and not play quite as inconsistent as he was playing through the course of this season." But Lee declined to say whether Smith's window of opportunity has closed with the Jets, saying he's worrying about the next game, at Buffalo on Nov. 23. "I don't know," he said. "I'm concerned about Buffalo and getting ready this week. I'm not concerned about the future and what's going to happen next training camp or anything like that."

Crazy that Geno's first audition with a full arsenal including Harvin resulted in the worst outing of his career.

with geno it wasn't about who he was throwing to, even the casual fan could see that he just didn't have "it"

The thing with Rex is he makes up his mind and that's it; Geno Smith is going to start he is light years ahead of Vick I think was the meme they used. How is it that we all pretty much knew that the Jets only shot this year was if Vick was the starter and they didn't? Go back and read the pre-season threads on this stuff-it came out almost exactly the way we called it; Geno wouldn't be starting by Thanksgiving and Vick would be coming on too late of course.

The thing with Rex is he makes up his mind and that's it; Geno Smith is going to start he is light years ahead of Vick I think was the meme they used. How is it that we all pretty much knew that the Jets only shot this year was if Vick was the starter and they didn't? Go back and read the pre-season threads on this stuff-it came out almost exactly the way we called it; Geno wouldn't be starting by Thanksgiving and Vick would be coming on too late of course.

Why do you give Rex get all the blame for this?  I am pretty sure that Idzik went on record as saying he was part of the decision and was pro-Geno.

Why do you give Rex get all the blame for this?  I am pretty sure that Idzik went on record as saying he was part of the decision and was pro-Geno.

Because it was Rex being quoted all spring and summer Dom, I don't recall reading word one from Idziot's mouth on the subject

This is the first time I've heard of this guy... Fire his ass too

you know this is a big part of the problem with the Jets under this owner. He always does things in piece meal, fire the GM, keep the coach, fire the coaches keep the head coach and get a new GM but still keep the scouting department. No GM or head coach has had the free rein to make all of his own hirings, maybe Parcells was the only one up front but that's what Woody was paying him for anyway-to help build the team structure

"I am not going to second-guess anything we have done. I think we have done the right things. There's no looking back here." 

that is what everyone says when they get their ass fired!

MM and this douche have been holding us hostage with Geno because they have been convincing everyone they can "fix him" 

A pig in makeup is still a pig.

Absolutely correct 

over 100 passer rating for vick. oh how things would be different if he started from week 1

Not really. It was the vaunted defense that let the Packers go 90-plus yards before halftime, and then again to start the second half. The Bears was the same deal basically as was Detroit. Yeah Geno threw a few picks - as usual - but I doubt Vick would have been "prepared" to go in that early in the season considering how much the Jets put into putting Smith in charge.

Archived