Jets' Pryor has 'chip' after benching, tardiness

Ken Schroy

Jets' Pryor has 'chip' after benching, tardiness (Dennis Waszak)

Associated Press

November 11, 2014

http://pro32.ap.org/article/jets-pryor-has-chip-after-benching-tardiness

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — Calvin Pryor has two goals for the second half of his rookie season: make more plays — and make meetings on time. The New York Jets safety, the team's first-round draft pick last May, was replaced Sunday in the starting lineup by Jaiquawn Jarrett, who had two interceptions, a sack and a fumble recovery in the Jets' 20-13 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Meanwhile, Pryor played only on special teams and it was revealed that the rookie has missed a few team meetings during the season — an issue that veteran teammates have addressed with him. "I'm pretty sure it's not the first time it happened. Guys have been late," Pryor said after practice Tuesday, downplaying the matter. "Just have to learn from it and move on." It has been a frustrating first season for Pryor, who was expected to come in and make an immediate impact with his hard-hitting style and ball-hawking abilities. Instead, Pryor has had to play more in deep coverage rather than closer to the line of scrimmage — his strength — because of issues at cornerback. "I've got a little chip on my shoulder right now," he said. "Kind of my back is against the wall, so to speak. Because everything, just expectations and just me personally taking it upon myself, I haven't been playing the way I should. That's something I have to look at myself and tell myself to just go do better." When asked how he'll improve, he said simply: "I'll let my actions speak." Pryor declined to comment on why he has been late to some meetings or how many times it has occurred, but he said that he was responsive to chats with teammates. "They just told me they've been there before, and they were in that same situation," he said. "This isn't the first time that it's happened to a player. They just told me the ways to go about it and how to get over it and just become better. Those guys are my big brothers. They want what's best for me." Coach Rex Ryan said Jarrett earned the start Sunday because of his efforts in practice and meetings. The Jets also planned to rotate both Pryor and Jarrett, but Ryan left Jarrett in the entire game because he had such an outstanding performance. "Jarrett had a hot hand, so why not leave him in?" Pryor said. "I wouldn't have taken him out." Ryan also announced Monday that Jarrett would start at safety when the Jets play at Buffalo next weekend after they return from their bye-week break. "I'm fine with that," Pryor said.

can't blame the rookie for being late, the tone was set by rex for shrugging when geno missed the pre-game meeting before SD game completely. lack of discipline is infectious.

Agreed....This is Rex's biggest problem.  Not his lack of focus on offense (although it is a major problem, just not the biggest) but this team lacks discipline in almost every aspect of the game.  In the NFL when talent is really very close (and contrary to most beliefs the Jets have enough talent to win) it often comes down to the little things and this team does all of those things wrong.

Agreed....This is Rex's biggest problem.  Not his lack of focus on offense (although it is a major problem, just not the biggest) but this team lacks discipline in almost every aspect of the game.  In the NFL when talent is really very close (and contrary to most beliefs the Jets have enough talent to win) it often comes down to the little things and this team does all of those things wrong.

Discipline isn't just about punishing players for breaking rules. Discipline is also about learning, or training, within an area of expertise. For instance, I am a creative director, branding is a discipline for me, so is experience design, cross-disciplinary expertise is what allows me to lead my clients and peers. Rex is a head coach, defense is a discipline for him, offense should be too... the fact that it is not is an extension of the comment "this team lacks discipline".

Token? Buses don't take tokens anymore... You can tell Crusher hasn't been skinny enough to fit on a bus for about 20 years. 

Last time I took a bus was from DC to Atlantic City probably in 1998.   It was like taking a field trip for a abnormal psychology class.  Craziest bunch of people I have ever been around.   Horrifying experience.  

Last time I took a bus was from DC to Atlantic City probably in 1998.   It was like taking a field trip for a abnormal psychology class.  Craziest bunch of people I have ever been around.   Horrifying experience.  

This is exactly how I imagine a mafia goodness mixer with all you guys. LOL

just like entitled kids, now that rex starts to enforce the tiniest bit of accountability after too long of ol' uncle boyitellya, the players get a chip on their shoulder over having reasonable consequences to their own behavior. unreal

I  took a bus once in my life and it was a pretty similar experience.  Heard a great line from a comic years ago.  I forget who it was, but he said he took a trip on Greyhound and when he sat in his seat he called Americas Most Wanted to say he'd "found all of them".

As time goes on Rex becomes more and more like John Candy / Uncle Buck.

He is a buffoon completely in over his head.

I thought he would learn on the job but at this rate we are looking at a competency date of 2026 + - 5.

My wife thinks he needs to get fat again, he was a better coach when he was fat...and happy

Lateness to meetings is his fault. Unfortunately he has to be a cover safety because none of the Jets CBs know how to cover wide receivers - Antonio Allen has demonstrated all season that he doesn't even know how to play the position (and that's not a knock on him, he's a decent safety). What Pryor does best is to come up to the line of scrimmage and kick peoples' asses, so let him do that.

Where is the so-called Louisville Slugger we heard so much about? This kid couldn't shove his way to the front of the beer line.

He's in a lot of the outside handouts, just gets there late it seems because our DL finishes the job before we need the extra help. He's "great" in run support for a team that has plenty of run stoppage. His services are almost irrelevant. Not that he's been relevant though. 

Archived