Aboushi Could Shorten Jets Wish List

JetNation

NY Jets Helmet

When New York Jets starting LG Brian Winters suffered a season ending torn ACL in the team’s week six loss to the Denver Broncos, it created an opportunity for fellow second year player Oday Aboushi.  Some fans were already calling for Aboushi before the injury occurred as a result of Winters’ sub par performance. After starting the final twelve games of his rookie season and the first six this year, Winters had been struggling mightily before being placed on season ending injured reserve.  According to PFF.com, only one player on the Jets had been less efficient on offense than Winters and that distinction goes to current back up quarterback Geno Smith.  Winters had allowed just one sack through six games but was also credited with sixteen quarterback hurries which was good for last on the team when the injury occurred and Aboushi took over from there.

For a team whose season is over and will be facing an off-season with plenty of holes to fill, Aboushi’s solid play up to this point may wind up offering an in-house solution.  In his first two drafts at General  Manager Idzik has drafted heavily at the guard position selecting four players to fill out the interior of the Jets offensive line.  Of the four, three are converted offensive tackles (Winters, Aboushi, Dakota Dozier) and the fourth, a converted college defensive tackle, William Campbell who is currently a member of the Buffalo Bills practice squad.  Having missed on Campbell and possibly Winters, it appears Aboushi is the first of the group to step up and perform at a high enough level to provide some hope for the future at the position.

Selected by the Jets with the eighth pick in the fifth round out of the University of Virginia, the 6′ 5”/310 lb lineman was considered by some to be a player who had the size and quickness to excel in the NFL, but that his technique would have to be refined before he could be a contributor.  After spending his first 18 games watching from the sidelines and being moved from OT to OG this off-season, it appears he’s heading in the right direction. He has been a significant improvement over Winters who had earned only one positive grade per PFF this season against the Oakland Raiders in the Jets’ home opener.  Aboushi on the other hand has already registered two positive outings each of the last two weeks.  The Jets will undoubtedly be keeping a close eye on Aboushi as they play out the second half and prepare for the off-season in hopes that the emergence of the big offensive lineman will allow them to take one more item off of what appears to be an endless list of needs to be addressed via free agency and the NFL draft.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
RH9gAFtxFT4

View the full article

That would be a pleasant surprise.

Idzik needs all the help he can get from his picks.  Even though one LG wasn't getting it done, being able to put quality young players out there will help his cause.  He can boast about all of the "starters" he's drafted, but that doesn't mean a whole lot If said starters are playing terrible football which was the case with Winters.  Aboushi has been solid thus far.

Totally agree.

The problem is Rex is in job preservation mode, so Colon is going to stay in.

Rex has to realize its over. Its over. They win maybe three more games. 5-11 does not save his job and it would mark his worst record ever.

At least be a good sport and start some of the subs to see what you got. Dozier, Jarrett, Aboushi...lots of opportunities to evaluate some players so this winter we can begin the cull.

LL

Rex has to realize its over. Its over. They win maybe three more games. 5-11 does not save his job and it would mark his worst record ever.

At least be a good sport and start some of the subs to see what you got. Dozier, Jarrett, Aboushi...lots of opportunities to evaluate some players so this winter we can begin the cull.

LL

Put yourself in Rex shoes, would you do that? He needs to win as many games as he can to not only make a case for staying on, but to other teams who will have a vacancy.

The strange thing is how much better he looked than Winters right off the bat. Begs the question why he wasn't starting from the beginning of the year.

Same could be said for quite a few positions up and down the roster. I'm not surprised, Rex has shown zero competency regarding player evaluation going all the way back to cutting Woodhead and recruiting Bart Scott over Ray Lewis.

Same could be said for quite a few positions up and down the roster. I'm not surprised, Rex has shown zero competency regarding player evaluation going all the way back to cutting Woodhead and recruiting Bart Scott over Ray Lewis.

He recruited the hell out of Lewis and as expected, Lewis got a new contract and stayed with the only team he ever played for. There's plenty to blame Rex for, no need to make up new ones.

nice read

my armchair analysis of Oday Aboushi he's got a nice tight pass protection two point stance and decent technique with his hands. His hips get low and he's got the size and foot-speed for guard, maybe even RT one day. Like many rookies he needs to work on his strength and can get over powered by some of the "war daddies" in the league.  But he's not a complete liability like Winters was. Intangibles he seems to be intense but not out of control (like colon). 

It's very interesting to have two Virginia Cavaliers (both from the NY metro area originally) playing next to each other. Same school as Monroe, Albert etc. Side note the Jets 4 OL starters, Brick, Oday, Colon are from NY, Breno from Boston. That's one thing I agree with Idzik about, getting local guys who want to be here. 

Legacy kinda matters with the OL. It's not that surprising that the kid from UVA is better than the kid from Kent State. Or going back two years ago that the kid from Oklahoma (lane johnson) is better than wherever the F Eric Fisher went to school.

I know this is a ripe time to talk about the "legacy" of Stephen Hill and GA Tech WR and no it's not a perfect guide. But BC, Michigan, Nebraska, USC, Penn St there's alot of legacy programs for OL and Virginia is one of em. 

He recruited the hell out of Lewis and as expected, Lewis got a new contract and stayed with the only team he ever played for. There's plenty to blame Rex for, no need to make up new ones.

By all accounts, Rex showed up in the first 3 minutes of free agency in Bart Scott's driveway, not Ray's. There's literally nothing made up about this, it is documented fact. 

I rarely guarantee hypotheticals, but if we had Ray instead of Bart for those 2 AFCC games, we'd have won one of them.

nice read

Side note the Jets 4 OL starters, Brick, Oday, Colon are from NY, Breno from Boston. That's one thing I agree with Idzik about, getting local guys who want to be here. 

Why? Who gives a flying **** where a player is from?

If the guy can play, he can be Dutch for all I care.

Why? Who gives a flying **** where a player is from?

If the guy can play, he can be Dutch for all I care.

Alot of the time the top NFL players were top recruits in high school. Guys like Jake Matthews for example were not a surprise to scouts. These guys usually go to big schools. 

You don't know if a guy can play before you draft him. The legacy can be a guide. It's not a perfect system. but the results speak for themselves. 

I feel like we're having two different conversations.

Look i don't care if the guy is from Kent State if he can play. The problem is taking those guys in the 3rd round, assuming they can play, and giving them a job (or at least trying to, remember Vlad beat him out last year). Maybe winters should have been the 5th round pick and Aboushi should have been the 3rd round pick. 

put it another way if you needed a lawyer for 1 trial and your life was on the line, would you take the guy from Harvard law or the guy from Albany? Sure in theory the Albany guy could be way better. But you won't really know that for sure until it's too late. 

By all accounts, Rex showed up in the first 3 minutes of free agency in Bart Scott's driveway, not Ray's. There's literally nothing made up about this, it is documented fact.

I rarely guarantee hypotheticals, but if we had Ray instead of Bart for those 2 AFCC games, we'd have won one of them.

Maybe he knew there wasn't any possibility Ray was coming here?

Look i don't care if the guy is from Kent State if he can play. The problem is taking those guys in the 3rd round, assuming they can play, and giving them a job (or at least trying to, remember Vlad beat him out last year). Maybe winters should have been the 5th round pick and Aboushi should have been the 3rd round pick. 

put it another way if you needed a lawyer for 1 trial and your life was on the line, would you take the guy from Harvard law or the guy from Albany? Sure in theory the Albany guy could be way better. But you won't really know that for sure until it's too late.

I'm talking about the part I quoted, where you specifically mentioned "local guys."

The coaching of course deserves serious crap for not getting more out of Woodhead the way other teams have since then, but to act like he was undeservedly cut is revisionist history.  He was worse than useless in his time with the Jets.  Don't get me wrong, your overall point about Rex's idiocy is certainly valid, but Woodhead is an awful example despite how often people try to use it.

The guy was with the Jets for 2 and 1/2 years and did nothing outside of preseason while with them.  The team still gave him a chance and carried him as a 4th RB, which is almost unheard of in today's NFL, ultimately meaning he had to contribute on special teams, where he was an absolute disaster.  Him and Feely were pretty much the whole reason why the Jets lost that friggin' game to the Dolphins on Ginn's 2 return TDs years back.  He was never going to pass any one of Jones, Greene, or Tomlinson on the depth chart so when you're that awful on ST, you're not going to last long.  That's not to mention Woodhead's success in NE was actually greatly overblown simply due to how much the locals fell in love with the concept of a white RB.  He did far more with SD last year than he ever did with NE.

Point being, I think Rex's terrible handling of dipsh*ts like his starting QBs and WRs are far better examples of his incompetency in situations like this than some 4th string RB who just so happen to be one of the Jets' past preseason sweethearts (better known as the Ratliff syndrome) that has done well as a career backup to mediocre RBs on far superior offenses.  Definitely not a topic worth writing this much about, and I'm sure you could not give less of a crap about any of this, but what can I say, I'm bored.

The coaching of course deserves serious crap for not getting more out of Woodhead the way other teams have since then, but to act like he was undeservedly cut is revisionist history.  He was worse than useless in his time with the Jets.  Don't get me wrong, your overall point about Rex's idiocy is certainly valid, but Woodhead is an awful example despite how often people try to use it.

The guy was with the Jets for 2 and 1/2 years and did nothing outside of preseason while with them.  The team still gave him a chance and carried him as a 4th RB, which is almost unheard of in today's NFL, ultimately meaning he had to contribute on special teams, where he was an absolute disaster.  Him and Feely were pretty much the whole reason why the Jets lost that friggin' game to the Dolphins on Ginn's 2 return TDs years back.  He was never going to pass any one of Jones, Greene, or Tomlinson on the depth chart so when you're that awful on ST, you're not going to last long.  That's not to mention Woodhead's success in NE was actually greatly overblown simply due to how much the locals fell in love with the concept of a white RB.  He did far more with SD last year than he ever did with NE.

Point being, I think Rex's terrible handling of dipsh*ts like his starting QBs and WRs are far better examples of his incompetency in situations like this than some 4th string RB who just so happen to be one of the Jets' past preseason sweethearts (better known as the Ratliff syndrome) that has done well as a career backup to mediocre RBs on far superior offenses.  Definitely not a topic worth writing this much about, and I'm sure you could not give less of a crap about any of this, but what can I say, I'm bored.

I was going to respond, it's just easier to use Woodhead as an example than it is to dig up the litany of other examples and explain them long-form.

well our OTs don't have but what 2 years we need to start drafting OTs for those spots. I don't think Colon comes back right?

Correct.  I would get rid of Colon---  need to start drafting  some OT and  swing Guard types who can maybe also play Center .  Milliner cant stay on the field----

so we need a new top CB, also.   Supposed to be quality OT in this DRAFT.

Archived