Schefter: Rookie Wideouts Living Up To Hype

CrazyCarl40

Amaro is having a nice rookie year.  He is on pace for about 55 catches / 450 yards on limited snaps as Cumberland is still getting more playing time than Jace.  

Over the last 6 years, there have only been two rookie TEs with 50 + catches (Jermaine Gresham in 2010 and Timothy Wright last year)  Jimmy Graham had 31 receptions as a rookie and Gronk had about 40 -- but 10 TDs.  Amaro is being as productive as just about any rookie TE to come out of college in recent years.  Not sayng he will be as good as Graham or Gronk, but I think he will develop into a really nice tight end.

A really nice TE is not as valuable as even a solid #2 WR. The Jets had a huge need at WR in a ridiculously deep WR class, and completely blew it.

Forget the pace Amaro is on, Allen Robinson, taken after Amaro in the second round, already has 48 catches for 548 yards and 2 TDs for the Jaguars!. The fish's Jarvis Landry (also 2nd round after Amaro) has 42 catches for 400 yards and 3 TDs - and is also averaging 8 yards per punt return and 31 yards per kickoff return. These guys are significantly more valuable than any nice TE.

And the Jets obviously recognize they blew it, leading them to trade for Percy Harvin and his inflated contract. That's why you want to hit on WRs in the draft, too. TE's don't make the $10.5M Harvin is scheduled to make next year, the franchise tag number for TEs this year was just over $7M (the lowest tag value outside of punters and kickers). The WR number was over $12.3M. That's why with your high picks, you need to focus on higher value positions. Taking a TE that high is a luxury pick, but the Jets didn't have that kind of luxury at their disposal. Even if Amaro becomes one of the league's better TEs, it's not a smart pick. He needs to be Gronk/Graham for it to come close.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A really nice TE is not as valuable as even a solid #2 WR. The Jets had a huge need at WR in a ridiculously deep WR class, and completely blew it.

Forget the pace Amaro is on, Allen Robinson, taken after Amaro in the second round, already has 48 catches for 548 yards and 2 TDs for the Jaguars!. The fish's Jarvis Landry (also 2nd round after Amaro) has 42 catches for 400 yards and 3 TDs - and is also averaging 8 yards per punt return and 31 yards per kickoff return. These guys are significantly more valuable than any nice TE.

And the Jets obviously recognize they blew it, leading them to trade for Percy Harvin and his inflated contract. That's why you want to hit on WRs in the draft, too. TE's don't make the $10.5M Harvin is scheduled to make next year, the franchise tag number for TEs this year was just over $7M (the lowest tag value outside of punters and kickers). The WR number was over $12.3M. That's why with your high picks, you need to focus on higher value positions. Taking a TE that high is a luxury pick, but the Jets didn't have that kind of luxury at their disposal. Even if Amaro becomes one of the league's better TEs, it's not a smart pick. He needs to be Gronk/Graham for it to come close.

In all fairness, we can't argue they "completely" blew it until we see what Shaq Evans can do. I mean, the WRs drafted around the same time have shown some serious potential, so maybe we'll have a guy there... but to opt for a safety or tight end over any of the top 2 rounds of WRs in this class seems ridiculous in hindsight. This class has effectively reshuffled the deck for impact player rankings in their rookie years. There's almost 10 rookie WRs that have already established themselves as more than flukes. It's unprecedented, really.

What's more valuable: a #2 WR or a run-stuffing DE?

I am not defending the draft in any way.  I agree that we completely blew the draft -- especially given the depth at WR and our need.  The one pick that appears to have been a solid pick is Amaro in the 2nd.  Had we picked Cooks or Benjamin in the first, then I don't think anyone would be complaining about Amaro as a 2nd round pick.  Had we taken Cooks, I agree we never would have had to deal for Harvin. 

Part of my point is that historically it takes rookie TEs longer to develop than it does rookie WRs.  It is not surprising that rookie WRs are outperforming Jace or any other rookie TEs.  Using history as a guide - in 2010, rookie wide receivers Mike WIlliams and Jordan Shipley both had more receptions and yards than rookie TEs Gronk and Graham, but who would you rather have on your team today.  Just because Allen Robinson is putting up better numbers this season than Amaro, does not mean he will be the better player over the long haul.  In my opinion, the big mistake in the draft is that we took an in the box strong safety in the 1st instead of a WR -- not that we took a TE in the 2nd.  We still had good options at WR in the 3rd and passed on them again.  

If we would have taken a receiver in the first round you guys would all cursing the guy would have been calling him a bust by week 7.

Any WR the Jets would have taken would be bad this year.  With the worst QB play in the league it would be very difficult to see him showing signs of greatness.

that's what picking BAP does for you when you stink at evaluating players

that's what picking BAP does for you when you stink at evaluating players

The last BAP pick Idzik made was Sheldon Richardson.

When setting up your board for BAP, you have to take positional value into consideration. A safety and TE should only be rated so high to take them in the first and second rounds if you think they have best in the league potential. And even that's iffy.

When setting up your board for BAP, you have to take positional value into consideration. A safety and TE should only be rated so high to take them in the first and second rounds if you think they have best in the league potential. And even that's iffy.

well BAP versus need is pretty much moot when you stink at evaluating talent as idzik does, is my point

PS so when picks work out you ordain them as "BAP" when they don't they are "need"? It is possible that BAP and need is the same player sometimes, but again what's it matter when your GM is horrid at talent eval.

PS so when picks work out you ordain them as "BAP" when they don't they are "need"? It is possible that BAP and need is the same player sometimes, but again what's it matter when your GM is horrid at talent eval.

PS, no.

The Jets were stocked at DL when they selected Richardson. That was as far from a need pick as the Jets have made in the last two years. Despite it being a strength, they took a great prospect at a high value position. It's not coincidental that it also worked out.

PS, no.

The Jets were stocked at DL when they selected Richardson. That was as far from a need pick as the Jets have made in the last two years. Despite it being a strength, they took a great prospect at a high value position. It's not coincidental that it also worked out.

yeah well maybe pryor was the highest rated guy on the board. just because it didn't work out doesn't make it a "reach on need ignoring BAP"

yeah well maybe pryor was the highest rated guy on the board. just because it didn't work out doesn't make it a "reach on need ignoring BAP"

When slotting players on your board by BAP, positional value has to come into a play. Safety is a lower valued position, and should only make its way into the first round if it's a generational type player. The defensive backfield, too, was obviously an area of great need.

But discussing this with you is kinda fruitless. You don't either just don't get it, or are being purposely obtuse.

When slotting players on your board by BAP, positional value has to come into a play. Safety is a lower valued position, and should only make its way into the first round if it's a generational type player. The defensive backfield, too, was obviously an area of great need.

But discussing this with you is kinda fruitless. You don't either just don't get it, or are being purposely obtuse.

that's an unwarranted personal attack to a very reasonable discussion. i shouldn't have expected better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkyy57iMaB0

Jets PR circulated the rumor that the Jets tried to move up in R2 to get Marquise Lee, after the draft ended with them only taking WRs in the 4th round and later. I'm just rolling with what their saying... like Bradway pounding the table for Wilson. The Jets have become masters of post-draft damage control.

Actually it was during the 2nd round that there were rumors of JETS trying to move up. Idzik was asked about that in the presser after the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the draft and he confirmed they tried to move up in Round 2 but would not specify for which player.

Four safeties were drafted in the first round alone. Seven in the first three rounds. 

that's an unwarranted personal attack to a very reasonable discussion. i shouldn't have expected better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkyy57iMaB0

I love it when the biggest trolls are also the first to cry victim. The predictability helps to keep balance in the universe.

If you can't see that Sheldon Richardson was clearly a BAP selection, while Pryor (and McDougle, for that matter) were just as clearly a response to a serious need in the defensive secondary (which is still amongst the worst in the NFL), there's little reason for me to continue to discuss it.

I love it when the biggest trolls are also the first to cry victim. The predictability helps to keep balance in the universe.

If you can't see that Sheldon Richardson was clearly a BAP selection, while Pryor (and McDougle, for that matter) were just as clearly a response to a serious need in the defensive secondary (which is still amongst the worst in the NFL), there's little reason for me to continue to discuss it.

then dont

Were any of them a better pick than Kelvin Benjamin or Jordan Matthews?

To be honest a lot of people (including me) thought at that point of time that Benjamin did not deserve a first round pick. Now i haven't got to watch him but his stats are outright filthy and I am sure he is getting whole lot of things right on the field. But what he has done has surprised a lot many people.

Jordan Matthews is another story and the JETS with all the picks they had could have easily moved up in the 2nd round to get him.

There is no doubt about it that McDougle was a NEED pick and thge JETS could most likely have got him with a pick down the order. No matter how good he was or can be he did not deserve a third round pick.

Actually it was during the 2nd round that there were rumors of JETS trying to move up. Idzik was asked about that in the presser after the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the draft and he confirmed they tried to move up in Round 2 but would not specify for which player.

Round 2 = R2

That's what I wrote. Idzik was asked about it because the rumor was for Lee, of course Idzik didn't confirm which player it was for.

Round 2 = R2

That's what I wrote. Idzik was asked about it because the rumor was for Lee, of course Idzik didn't confirm which player it was for.

I was focused on the timing of the disclosure. I thought you said it was after the draft and i remember it was right after the end of the 2nd day (2nd and 3rd rounds) of the draft when Idzik admitted he tried to move up in the presser.

Archived