It's about the quarterback, stupid

vincenzo69

I want either Winston or Mariota in this draft.  If we're lucky the Jets  go 2-14 or 3-13 and the only teams with worse records are the Jags and Raiders who already have their young qbs.  Today's NFL is all about the qb.  Compare a list of the top 12 qbs in the nfl to the 12 teams making the playoffs it's almost identical with one exception which is Arizona because they are an incredibly well-coached team.  

Just lose baby.

So you go from defending Idzik to saying Jameis Winston sucks.  You are on a roll there brotha.

I think Winston could give Geno a run for his money as far as their IQ's are concerned.  Can you imagine Winston starting and Geno backing him up. Combined their IQ couldn't match Terry Bradshaw's.  

why ?  not being a smart-ass, I don't watch a lot of college ball

Sorry for the delay, to me he looks like  team leader, quick release, very accurate and at 6'3" 230 pounds he is a decent athlete. I am posting a highlight reel, although I know it's highlights and all of his WR's are NFL calibre just watch his release and the ball placement.

Sorry for the delay, to me he looks like  team leader, quick release, very accurate and at 6'3" 230 pounds he is a decent athlete. I am posting a highlight reel, although I know it's highlights and all of his WR's are NFL calibre just watch his release and the ball placement.

I can't exactly fault the guy for having receivers who are open and throwing it their way when they are. But the reality is there wasn't a single play on that entire highlight video that didn't involve him throwing to his primary receiver. It suggests to me he either hasn't been asked to go through his progressions, out of a lack of necessity, or it suggests that when he does have to go through his progressions it never once ended up being worthy of a highlight-reel.

He may end up being a top-5 NFL QB for all I know about him, which consists of this video and your comments. But it's a legitimate concern I'd have right off the bat unless there's plenty of other such footage that just wasn't included in this compilation.

I can't exactly fault the guy for having receivers who are open and throwing it their way when they are. But the reality is there wasn't a single play on that entire highlight video that didn't involve him throwing to his primary receiver. It suggests to me he either hasn't been asked to go through his progressions, out of a lack of necessity, or it suggests that when he does have to go through his progressions it never once ended up being worthy of a highlight-reel.

He may end up being a top-5 NFL QB for all I know about him, which consists of this video and your comments. But it's a legitimate concern I'd have right off the bat unless there's plenty of other such footage that just wasn't included in this compilation.

It is hard finding video on him other then his WRs being so open. All I can say us watch a Baylor soon. Not only us he legit, the team is real fun to watch.

It is hard finding video on him other then his WRs being so open. All I can say us watch a Baylor soon. Not only us he legit, the team is real fun to watch.

I don't think my point is going over your head, and that you understand what I'm getting at.

What separates good or great QBs from sucky ones whose roster spot is in jeopardy isn't an ability to throw to receivers who are open while the line forms an impenetrable wall around him. It's the ability to move the chains and throw TDs when his primary target is NOT so open and he's under duress in the pocket to boot.  

I don't think my point is going over your head, and that you understand what I'm getting at.

What separates good or great QBs from sucky ones whose roster spot is in jeopardy isn't an ability to throw to receivers who are open while the line forms an impenetrable wall around him. It's the ability to move the chains and throw TDs when his primary target is NOT so open and he's under duress in the pocket to boot.

It wasnt going over my head. I just doubted that you would take my word that he can read a defense and move through his progressions.

It wasnt going over my head. I just doubted that you would take my word that he can read a defense and move through his progressions.

I really wanted to like Petty, but he's such a project at this point that you'd have to be nuts to draft him before the fifth-sixth round. He guesses so much with the ball that you wonder if he even knew what the play call was in the first place. 

I really wanted to like Petty, but he's such a project at this point that you'd have to be nuts to draft him before the fifth-sixth round. He guesses so much with the ball that you wonder if he even knew what the play call was in the first place.

Thats why I sign Locker also. Close to the same type QB. Can work a system around them and not change if it gets to Petty's turn.

Thats why I sign Locker also. Close to the same type QB. Can work a system around them and not change if it gets to Petty's turn.

Yeah, but the reasons Locker failed is why Petty will probably fail: they're better athletes than QBs. If you wanted to bring Petty in as a late-round pick, you have to do it with zero expectation that he'll ever start for you. If the light goes on for him, it's a bonus.

In fairness most NCAA QBs  do that most passing plays. They are gonna take 3-5 step drop, find their primary quickly,or otherwise  look of a mismatch . There isn't gonna be a significant progression.MNothing append in a vacuum. What is it the team expects from him,a nd who is he playing with?  Smith only came to prominence because he was able to play pitch and catch with 4.3 speed Tayvon Austin, something Bradway either didn't pick up on or simply didn;t consider.Smith was throwing to the fastest WR in college so it's not like he had to do much else. 

I want either Winston or Mariota in this draft.  If we're lucky the Jets  go 2-14 or 3-13 and the only teams with worse records are the Jags and Raiders who already have their young qbs.  Today's NFL is all about the qb.  Compare a list of the top 12 qbs in the nfl to the 12 teams making the playoffs it's almost identical with one exception which is Arizona because they are an incredibly well-coached team.  

Just lose baby.

Winston sucks. Looks like what Geno looks like here but on a college level which is even worse. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=envzRQfz-A4#t=340

Just lose baby.

Arizona 9-1  Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton = No

New England 8-2  Tom Brady  = yes

Dallas 7-3      Tony Romo = meh, The Best OL in Football and a great running game has improved Romo greatly

Philadelphia 7-3  Nick Foles, Mark Sanchez = No

Denver 7-3 Peyton Manning = yes

KC 7-3       Alex Smith = No

Detroit 7-3   Matt Stafford = Yeah, but it is close

Green Bay 7-3  Aaron Rogers = yes

Bengals 6-3-1  Andy Dalton = No

Pittsburgh 7-4  Big Ben = Yes

Then you get into the 6-4 which include really good QB's like Rivers, Kapernick, Wilson, Tannahill, Flacco, and Hoyer.

If it is all about the Qb then how are Drew Brees, Eli, Cutler 4-6.

Yeah, but the reasons Locker failed is why Petty will probably fail: they're better athletes than QBs. If you wanted to bring Petty in as a late-round pick, you have to do it with zero expectation that he'll ever start for you. If the light goes on for him, it's a bonus.

I have seen him on drafts sites mostly going in the third. I would love him there for the Jets but I am thinkng he will be a draft riser after workouts. I could see him going in the second. I would take a chance on him in those rounds.

Don't doubt your word at all. You've seen him beyond this compilation and I haven't. I was just saying it is at least noteworthy that not even one of these dozens of plays involved the need to go beyond staring down his primary target and throwing it to said primary target, who was usually open by a minimum of 3-5 yards to boot.

It doesn't mean he can't do it or won't do it at the next level. But I take for granted someone (someone who hasn't seen him do it) would naturally be less likely to have that concern if even a single one of those plays involved more than toss & catch plays in live action that weren't significantly more difficult than toss & catch in practice drills with no DBs. Most also involved little to zero pass rush pressure on top of that.

In fairness most NCAA QBs  do that most passing plays. They are gonna take 3-5 step drop, find their primary quickly,or otherwise  look of a mismatch . There isn't gonna be a significant progression.MNothing append in a vacuum. What is it the team expects from him,a nd who is he playing with?  Smith only came to prominence because he was able to play pitch and catch with 4.3 speed Tayvon Austin, something Bradway either didn't pick up on or simply didn;t consider.Smith was throwing to the fastest WR in college so it's not like he had to do much else. 

And most NFL QBs do that most passing plays as well. But that isn't what makes a good QB a good QB.

No doubt that Smith was aided immensely by Austin and Bailey, but Smith did a bit more than that to get rated highly. Just for the sake of highlight clip comparison, I just watched a quick video (first one that came up) of him at WVA. There's certainly the fair share of plays that were ordinary completions that extraordinary receivers turned into something more (looked more like a highlight film for Austin and Bailey). Often they were really good passes but what made it a TD had nothing to do with Smith but rather what these elite college receivers could do against lesser defenders. Just because the pass itself wasn't what directly caused the TD doesn't negate what would otherwise have been just a completed pass for a 1st down.  Even still, there were a lot more passes in tighter coverage in the 1 Smith video I just watched than the 1 Petty video that was posted. Plus there was at least 1 big play in that compilation (one; whoop-dee-do) that involved a big play to a receiver other than Smith's primary read. But there were tightly-covered receivers who caught passes right on the money, in stride, and some good pass-rush avoidance. In other words, while he was clearly aided a LOT by his receivers, that isn't the only reason he was rated highly. 

And to that, whether you're talking Smith or Sanchez or whoever, when they're given wide open receivers and plenty of time, even they have looked like top QBs throwing the ball right on the money. Yet they suck regardless. My point was that it's how they perform when things don't go perfectly that separates them from Erik Ainge (that, and not being junkies). Otherwise one could easily fill up a year of one's life looking at highlights of NFL stiffs from the past decade who were very good or great in college.

I'm not saying Petty is going to be the next Kellen Clemens; he may very well be awesome at the next level. All I'm pointing out is the highlight reel would be much more impressive, and instill much more confidence, if there were many - or even one - play in the video where dozens of lesser QBs couldn't have done what Petty did. 

Archived