It's about the quarterback, stupid

vincenzo69

Sorry for the delay, to me he looks like  team leader, quick release, very accurate and at 6'3" 230 pounds he is a decent athlete. I am posting a highlight reel, although I know it's highlights and all of his WR's are NFL calibre just watch his release and the ball placement.

Nice release BUT....NOT ONE of those throws were made to anyone but the primary target (he stared at one guy and threw to him EVERY TIME)   He never once looked off the first option and went somewhere else.  

I'm not saying he can't, but that video wasn't promising in that regard....

and as we all should know by now - Arm strength, release time, athleticism, accuracy don't mean anything if you can't get to your second, third read....

All these guys have good strong arms and are athletic, the ones that become franchise guys can quickly find open guys that aren't their primary read.

Nice release BUT....NOT ONE of those throws were made to anyone but the primary target (he stared at one guy and threw to him EVERY TIME)   He never once looked off the first option and went somewhere else.  

I'm not saying he can't, but that video wasn't promising in that regard....

and as we all should know by now - Arm strength, release time, athleticism, accuracy don't mean anything if you can't get to your second, third read....

All these guys have good strong arms and are athletic, the ones that become franchise guys can quickly find open guys that aren't their primary read.

I have seena few Baylor games and have seen him run through his progressions. I cant find any video other then highlights to prove it.

I have seena few Baylor games and have seen him run through his progressions. I cant find any video other then highlights to prove it.

I don't watch a lot of college, but if this guy can make fast reads I'm all for taking him over just about anyone else.  I'm tired of gimmick guys, give me a good old fashion tall, drop back QB with a quick release and I'm sold.

If he can, and has, then NFL teams will see this as well and he's not making it to round 2 (maybe not even to overall pick #5). He's not short enough to have guys pass on him because he doesn't fit the prototypical mold (like Wilson).  54 TDs, 6 INTs, and there's video evidence of him zipping through his reads? His mediocre completion %age will get overlooked, particularly if they can point to a higher than average percentage of drops on otherwise solid throws.

Then again, Russell's numbers mirror his (technically slightly better), albeit on far fewer attempts, in the same role. And he's only a soph.

It seems that he's got some talent at receiver at his disposal as well. Not a knock on Petty at all, since his numbers are better than just "ok" with them. 

If one really wanted to read into the numbers, it could be inferred that he doesn't do very well when he's not throwing these high percentage types of throws: even with these easy toss & catches averaged in, he's still under 60% completion.

A lot of the reason for that is that (statistically) it would seem he throws to his backs like never. All of Baylor's backs combined have like 5 catches on the year and I have no evidence to suggest all (or even most) of them were even thrown by Petty.

So with his lower completion percentage, the numbers suggest he's forcing lower percentage passes downfield rather than using his backs and taking the "sure" yardage. Far from incurable, but he doesn't seem to be working his progressions down that far at least. 

Again, understand I haven't seen him play at all other than the 1 clip you posted.

It figures most Jets fans want nothing to do with Jameis Winston.  Most Jets fans are stupid.

Not only is Winston a very good passer who is mobile - he can actually fight off pass rushers the same way Ben Roethlisberger does.  I've seen him make plays for touchdowns with 1-2 275+lb defensive linemen hanging on him and Winston fought them off and threw it in for a score.  But yeah he's not a nice guy so we have to sign Neil O'Donnell 2.0 Brian Hoyer.

It figures most Jets fans want nothing to do with Jameis Winston.  Most Jets fans are stupid.

Not only is Winston a very good passer who is mobile - he can actually fight off pass rushers the same way Ben Roethlisberger does.  I've seen him make plays for touchdowns with 1-2 275+lb defensive linemen hanging on him and Winston fought them off and threw it in for a score.  But yeah he's not a nice guy so we have to sign Neil O'Donnell 2.0 Brian Hoyer.

I agree, and I'm a Canes fan.

He does remind me of Big Ben. In more ways then one.

Actually, from what I've read, he is supposed to be a very likable guy, just makes very stupid decisions off field.

I agree, and I'm a Canes fan.

He does remind me of Big Ben. In more ways then one.

Actually, from what I've read, he is supposed to be a very likable guy, just makes very stupid decisions off field.

From all accounts Winston is a good lockerroom guy and gets along with his teammates.  He's done stupid stuff off the field but so have a lot of players and if he never even got charged with rape then what else do people want?  There are way worse people in the NFL right now - one of them is already on our roster playing QB for us now and most jets fans were raving when we signed his punk ass- coincidentally the same clowns now saying Winston is "100% bust material" "duh-marcus haha".

Sorry for the delay, to me he looks like  team leader, quick release, very accurate and at 6'3" 230 pounds he is a decent athlete. I am posting a highlight reel, although I know it's highlights and all of his WR's are NFL calibre just watch his release and the ball placement.

thanks for the reply.  I'll keep an eye on this kid

his footwork is sloppy.  You can't get away with just slingin it in the NFL.  I'm not saying he can't fix it, but he is not even a polished passer at this point

From all accounts Winston is a good lockerroom guy and gets along with his teammates.  He's done stupid stuff off the field but so have a lot of players and if he never even got charged with rape then what else do people want?  There are way worse people in the NFL right now - one of them is already on our roster playing QB for us now and most jets fans were raving when we signed his punk ass- coincidentally the same clowns now saying Winston is "100% bust material" "duh-marcus haha".

The really interesting thing about this is that Sanchez was actually arrested, and suspended, in his freshman year, also for sexual assault. It also went away.

At the time he was drafted no one had a word to say about it. Now every time Winston's name is mentioned, someone comes up with "rapist".

The other accusations against him, the autograph thing, a top authenticating memorabilia firm that originally was going to market the items, has come out and said it's probably not his signature. Seems like it was a scam.

The point shaving BS was started by Incarcerated Bob. It's just amazing that some media actually ran with it.

So the horrible things he has done boil down to he stole $12 in crab legs, and stood up in the cafeteria and yelled FHITP.

I'm a Canes fan, hate FSU, but what the media is trying to do to this kid is borderline criminal.

Having watched him about 10 times, what I see is is an excellent pro prospect. Some body earlier in the thread said his game is just like Smith's. That ridiculous. It's nothing like Geno's. He is a big guy with an excellent arm. When under pressure, he doesn't run 30 yards in the wrong direction, a usual Smith tactic, he is so strong he frequently just shakes the tackler off, he's similar to Big Ben in that aspect. IMO his main fault is that he has a gun slinger mentality, and over estimates his strong arm, and throws it into slots it doesn't fit. He also frequently throws off his back foot when under pressure.

Could he go bust? Of course. But I think he is the best QB in this draft, and really hope the Jets draft him

At which point you'll be on your 25th new user name. 

Aren't you the guy who raved about this past draft class of ours in the immediate aftermath, when every sentient being on the planet knew it was God-awful?

Jameis will be a terrible NFL player and will set one dumb team back 3-4 years; hopefully it's not the Jets.

Aren't you the guy who raved about this past draft class of ours in the immediate aftermath, when every sentient being on the planet knew it was God-awful?

Jameis will be a terrible NFL player and will set one dumb team back 3-4 years; hopefully it's not the Jets.

I get that feeling as well.  Looking to follow in the footsteps of Leaf, Russell, and Leinart.  I hope we don't pick him.

Archived