Michael Vick should provide path for Jets QB of the future

Connor_J_Hughes

For those that are interested, each Saturday at NYJets.about.com we run a weekly feature. These are normally centered around a human interest story, a column or things of that nature. 

This week's is focused on Michael Vick. While he most likely won't be leading the team in five years, he should be in 2015. 

(Column): Michael Vick should provide path for Jets QB of the future 

Good article and thoughts. I don't think the issue with signing Vick will be dollars, but years. Vick needs one last payday, and (I guess) will want a 3 year deal in the $5 mil per rabye. They've gotta decide if his mentorship is worth that, or if it's just more economical to give Jason Campbell or Ryan Fitzpatrick a one year deal.

Old, injury prone, habit of turning the ball over via fumbles/picks, difficulty putting up points in the red zone, got it.

Bringing Vick back next year sets us back.  Time to jettison Rex; Idzik; their lame coordinators, coaches, and scouts; Vick; CJ2K (where?); Babin; lots of the other scrubs; and anyone else from this putrid regime.  Now is the time to build this team for the long term, not next year.  I'm even cool with Geno staying on as a backup as long as he must earn his spot in training camp.

Vick literally brings nothing to the table to be worth paying to keep around, other than not being Geno.

There's plenty of stopgap, journeyman types we can let turn the ball over 20 times for us next year for less money.

I think Vick is legitimately respected by a large swath of players in the league, especially Harvin. You can keep him around in a Chauncey Billups capacity.

A lot depends on how Vick ends the season.

If he ends the season  with an above average performance something the fanbase has not seen from the QB position for about 6 plus years and given the fact that after the backlash the front office has felt during the season they would be operating in 'once bitten' mode and given that the FA market is very thin at the QB position and even the draft is not loaded with franchise type QB's, I can definitely see Vick coming back.

And in that scenario Vick would have a lot of leverage too.

I think Vick is legitimately respected by a large swath of players in the league, especially Harvin. You can keep him around in a Chauncey Billups capacity.

I think that is one of the dangers in having him.  CJ too.  Football players tend to respect athletic ability. I think that is part of the reason they wanted Cro to walk.  Tough to bench, but not who you want on the field.

i don't want to see us use another high draft pick on a QB and throw him to the wolves.  If we end up picking Mariota or Winston, I'd like to see Vick come back as the starter so one of them can sit, watch and learn.  

what i don't want to see is us sign someone like Jake Locker or Sam Bradford and have one of them compete to be a starter.  Vick is just as good as either of those two.

I think Vick is legitimately respected by a large swath of players in the league, 

unlike geno smith, who is legitimately respected by no one 

Vick is fine for the near term.

BTW Vick is Vinny T part II 

both 1 overall picks. both rare one in a million type athletes. Both turnover prone. 

Vick was 34 when he signed here, Vinny was 35. 

there's no reason why Vick can't be the QB of the next few years, and actually be functional doing it. 

Heres a Sad statement, Mike Vick is the best QB rex has had since he's been HC of the Jets.

Vick has made it through16 games once in his career and that was eight years ago.

Not against him being on the roster in 2015 but I hope we at least attempt to find a better answer to our QB issue. These throw away seasons under the guise that we are in the midst of some magical plan are getting old.

BTW Vick is Vinny T part II

both 1 overall picks. both rare one in a million type athletes. Both turnover prone.

Vick was 34 when he signed here, Vinny was 35.

there's no reason why Vick can't be the QB of the next few years, and actually be functional doing it.

As long as they don't ask too much of him, I agree. Move the chains with his feet when the opportunity is there, and protect the football.

The guy can still play. He isn't the athletic freak that he once was, but he still has enough of it to be effective.

T0m mentioned that he probably will want a three year deal. I'd give it to him. Structure it so he can be cut after the second year, but give him a fair offer and let him groom the next QB.

Hell if the team drafts Winston, Vick is the perfect guy to mentor him. He seems genuinely humble when he talks about wanting to make up for his past wrongdoings.

I have always felt that the 1997 Broncos would be the model type of team to surround Vick with. If you place him with a strong running game to minimize the hits he takes and a good defense, I really believe he could lead a team all the way. He has always had 3rd down type running backs and a more pass heavy WCO. This has lead to him taking way too many hits.

I think that is one of the dangers in having him. CJ too. Football players tend to respect athletic ability. I think that is part of the reason they wanted Cro to walk. Tough to bench, but not who you want on the field.

Why would u NOT want Cro on the field? His issue last ur wasn't performance related, rather injury related. He's been playing well at AZ. Not 2012 quality but certainly not as one of the worst CBs like last yr. CJ has played as I expected. Wasn't hoping he was going to be CJ2K this yr or even 1k.

Vick will be showing off his play for 2015. If he plays well, I don't see why we don't want him back. Sure he's not a long term solution. Neither is Geno and do we really want to throw a rookie into the fire for the third time in a row? Vick provides leadership to this team and a chance for above average QB play, something we haven't seen for 16 games in like a decade or more.

Vick literally brings nothing to the table to be worth paying to keep around, other than not being Geno.

There's plenty of stopgap, journeyman types we can let turn the ball over 20 times for us next year for less money.

Sure. Let's tank the 2015 season as well then since no playoffs. Oh I know. 0 n 16 sounds so much cooler than say 5 n 11? It's all for the greater good, right?

I think it's 50/50 at best that Vick is even on the team next year. Gotta figure his biggest booster is Mornhinweg, and you gotta figure Marty is gone along with Rex when this season's over. Does Idzik love Vick? Is Idzik still with the team next year?

I think Vick's best chance of being here next season hinges on how many wins he gets down the stretch (and if he stays healthy that long). If he can squeeze another four wins out of this roster, the new regime might see him as worth keeping around. The fact that four more wins would also push their draft pick out of the top QBs coming out next year could also play a role.

Sure. Let's tank the 2015 season as well then since no playoffs. Oh I know. 0 n 16 sounds so much cooler than say 5 n 11? It's all for the greater good, right?

You're an idiot. 

All I'm suggesting is finding a journeyman that would be cheaper than Vick. Vick is a nothing more than a journeyman, but personally I think he costs too much, gets hurt too much and turns the ball over too much.

You're an idiot.

All I'm suggesting is finding a journeyman that would be cheaper than Vick. Vick is a nothing more than a journeyman, but personally I think he costs too much, gets hurt too much and turns the ball over too much.

Vick beat a pittsburgh team that should have torn us a new a$$hole.

Vick beat a pittsburgh team that should have torn us a new a$$hole.

Pittsburgh's defense is coming apart at the seems. They lost Shazier and Polamalu the week before playing us. Vick led our offense to a good first half, and then sputtered in the second half. The more impressive performance was by our defense keeping Ben out of the endzone. 

Ben is why Pitt had been stomping people, not their D. 

You're an idiot. 

So tank the season right? Cuz since a 20 turnover journey man can't lead us to the playoffs and anything less than playoff means we should try for a "top 5" pick.

You're a smart cookie.

Archived