NFL players lack discipline

joewilly12

Off the field behavior aside, the younger player has become less and less coachable over the years. That's why its comical the blogs go after the draft guys who actually have the balls to expose/give their opinion about uncoachable players/questionable work ethic.

The Pats just cut you if you dont fall in line...and they have that ability because of how good the coach and QB are. If Geno Smith pulled what he did here up in New England he would have been released.

the younger player has become less and less coachable over the years.

I think that's just old man "get off my lawwwwwn" stuff, though. Players have been out of control forever. Those 70's Cowboys squads were a crime syndicate. Barry Switzer's Oklahoma teams were animal farms. Lawrence Taylor would sign autographs for vice cops as he was leaving crack dens in Jersey. The issue now is that the expectations are different because the league is marketed as a high-end retail corporate product.

I think that's just old man "get off my lawwwwwn" stuff, though. Players have been out of control forever. Those 70's Cowboys squads were a crime syndicate. Barry Switzer's Oklahoma teams were animal farms. Lawrence Taylor would sign autographs for vice cops as he was leaving crack dens in Jersey. The issue now is that the expectations are different because the league is marketed as a high-end retail corporate product.

I think there's a big difference between out of control and being coachable. Santonio Holmes was just simply not coachable. 30 year old child. LT was a lunatic but that guy would run through a wall on the field for Parcells. Some of that is credit to the coach...but too many guys are brought up now just being straight up dickheads to the coaching staff. I think it's worse is basketball though. Belichick just simply doesnt have time for the intentionally anti-social player. Ahmad Brooks straight up quit on the field yesterday. Took his cleats off and said F-U to the rest of the team.

How often did guys pull themselves out of games or complain about their roles while the team was winning?  I wish teams had the balls to cut these guys and let them get real jobs.

Hurts the team more than the player when a player is guaranteed another 8 figures of salary. To make it worse, all that $ that would have been paid over time then accelerates all at once. Further, when they're paid that well, it typically means the team didn't pay other high-end players at the same position, and also shied away from the position towards the top of the draft. Only way to really recover is to load up in the draft at a position at which you're already loaded, which is often poor value because only 1 or 2 of them can be on the field at a time and the extra high pick or high-$ acquisition was a waste. So even benching the guy who is clearly your best player at a position (by talent or past production) is easier said than done when your other options are no options at all.

Hurts the team more than the player when a player is guaranteed another 8 figures of salary. To make it worse, all that $ that would have been paid over time then accelerates all at once. Further, when they're paid that well, it typically means the team didn't pay other high-end players at the same position, and also shied away from the position towards the top of the draft. Only way to really recover is to load up in the draft at a position at which you're already loaded, which is often poor value because only 1 or 2 of them can be on the field at a time and the extra high pick or high-$ acquisition was a waste. So even benching the guy who is clearly your best player at a position (by talent or past production) is easier said than done when your other options are no options at all.

Salary should definitely be a factor in being able to dump these guys or not, but I'm sure the Steelers can walk away from Lagarette Blount pretty easily after he left the field early last night because he was upset that his teammate ran for over 200 yards.

Salary should definitely be a factor in being able to dump these guys or not, but I'm sure the Steelers can walk away from Lagarette Blount pretty easily after he left the field early last night because he was upset that his teammate ran for over 200 yards.

Clearly, Blount isn't who I was referring to. Pittsburgh has little invested in him (he doesn't have gobs of guaranteed $ still to come, and they didn't burn a high draft pick on him). So unless they had no one else (also not the case), he's an easy one to deal with (whether cut outright or suspended for a game or more).

Clearly, Blount isn't who I was referring to. Pittsburgh has little invested in him (he doesn't have gobs of guaranteed $ still to come, and they didn't burn a high draft pick on him). So unless they had no one else (also not the case), he's an easy one to deal with (whether cut outright or suspended for a game or more).

Yup, obviously case by case.  Between the pre-season weed smoking and the in-season bailing on his team, I hope he gets the boot.

How often did guys pull themselves out of games or complain about their roles while the team was winning?  I wish teams had the balls to cut these guys and let them get real jobs.

This is the thing I'm seeing more of that I can't ever remember seeing before.  This isn't a social media thing ...  It's tantrums by children....

Steelers release Blount

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/angry-steelers-player-left-field-171710151.html?soc_src=mediacontentsharebuttons

Pittsburgh Steelers player LeGarrette Blount left the field and attempted to exit the stadium before Monday night's game, a 27-24 win against the Tennessee Titans, was over, Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

He was released on Tuesday, the team announced.

Blount, a running back who signed a two-year, $3.9 million contract last spring, has seen his role in the offense steadily diminish in recent weeks. On Monday night he didn't get a single carry, which reportedly led to his walk-off.

From Bouchette:

He dressed and left the locker room, apparently headed for the team bus that would take them to the airport. At least one player thought they should leave him in Nashville.

Blount has been an internal problem for at least a month for the Steelers and sources told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he is dragging down star halfback Le’Veon Bell, even though that obviously was not the case Monday night when Bell ran 33 times for 204 yards.

According to TribLive.com, assistant coach Joey Porter was able to stop Blount and get him back to the locker room before he got onto the bus.

After the game, ESPN sent cameras into the Steelers locker room. Blount was fully dressed by the time the team came in after the game (via ESPN):

Archived