NFL suspends Adrian Peterson for rest of season- he will appeal

faba

Source: Adrian Peterson to appeal

Updated: November 18, 2014, 9:36 AM ET
ESPN.com news services
  •  

Adrian Peterson To Appeal Suspension
Adam Schefter discusses the latest on Vikings RB Adrian Peterson, who has been suspended without pay for at least the rest the of the 2014 season.
Adrian Peterson To Appeal Suspension
NEXT VIDEO video2.png
  •  

Adrian Peterson has been suspended without pay for at least the remainder of the 2014 season.

The NFL announced its highly anticipated ruling Tuesday morning, stating that the Minnesota Vikings star running back will not be considered for reinstatement before April 15, 2015, for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

The NFL Players Association released a statement later Tuesday morning, announcing that it will appeal Peterson's suspension because "the discipline imposed is inconsistent."

Peterson was indicted in September on a felony charge of injury to a child for using a wooden switch to discipline his 4-year-old son earlier this year. But the All-Pro pleaded no contest to a lesser charge of misdemeanor reckless assault earlier this month, setting the stage for the NFL's ruling.

The league announced Peterson's suspension in a lengthy statement, citing "an incident of abusive discipline that he inflicted on his four-year-old son."

The statement also included excerpts of a letter to Peterson written by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, who has required that Peterson undergoes counseling and treatment in order to be reinstated.

"We are prepared to put in place a program that can help you to succeed, but no program can succeed without your genuine and continuing engagement," Goodell wrote in the letter. "You must commit yourself to your counseling and rehabilitative effort, properly care for your children, and have no further violations of law or league policy."

The NFL stated that Peterson and the NFL Players Association did not provide the league with information that "would be relevant to evaluating Peterson's conduct." The league also claimed that Peterson, his representatives and the union would not participate in a disciplinary hearing that had been scheduled for last week.

The union responded with its statement, which cited a "credibility gap" within the NFL's disciplinary process.

"The decision by the NFL to suspend Adrian Peterson is another example of the credibility gap that exists between the agreements they make and the actions they take," the NFLPA statement said. "Since Adrian's legal matter was adjudicated, the NFL has ignored their obligations and attempted to impose a new and arbitrary disciplinary proceeding.

"The facts are that Adrian has asked for a meeting with Roger Goodell, the discipline imposed is inconsistent and an NFL executive told Adrian that his time on the Commissioner's list would be considered as time served. The NFLPA will appeal this suspension and will demand that a neutral arbitrator oversee the appeal. We call on the NFL Management Council to show our players and our sponsors leadership by committing to collective bargaining so a fair personal conduct policy can be implemented as quickly as possible."

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter contributed to this report.

Punch your wife, two games. Whip your child, season. Not that I don't agree with APs punishment, I just think there is some trickle down happening from the Rice incident. Gooddell is bad at his job.

Everyone says he's making it up as he goes along and they're 100% right.  What else is he supposed to do?  There's no history of the league holding their players accountable for this kind of stuff so he's having to wing it.  They need to sit down at some point and get all of this in writing and stick to whatever policy it is that they come up with.  I  know most fans just want him on the field to produce and don't care about his kid, but I like seeing players held accountable.

Everyone says he's making it up as he goes along and they're 100% right.  What else is he supposed to do?  There's no history of the league holding their players accountable for this kind of stuff so he's having to wing it.  They need to sit down at some point and get all of this in writing and stick to whatever policy it is that they come up with.  I  know most fans just want him on the field to produce and don't care about his kid, but I like seeing players held accountable.

Totally agree w/you.May I add that we're going on 4 mos.now with both of these cases, and the fact that the owners and players still don't have a policy in place to deal with these type of things is an absolute disgrace.How's this...you harm a woman or a child, gone for 1 year w/out pay.Case closed.

Totally agree w/you.May I add that we're going on 4 mos.now with both of these cases, and the fact that the owners and players still don't have a policy in place to deal with these type of things is an absolute disgrace.How's this...you harm a woman or a child, gone for 1 year w/out pay.Case closed.

Yeah, it's not that complicated.  Problem is that the owners run the NFL, not Godawful.  They want a great player like AP on the field.

The team/NFL sponsors are the ones who could get a plan into action today.  They stop advertising and the owners will cave.

Yeah, it's not that complicated.  Problem is that the owners run the NFL, not Godawful.  They want a great player like AP on the field.

The team/NFL sponsors are the ones who could get a plan into action today.  They stop advertising and the owners will cave.

Exactly.Like the local Viking sponsors, which led to the suspension in the first place.

I don't like this ruling by the NFL at all.   It's arbitrary,  

Now they want him to apologize and attend counseling of their own choosing?  They really are making it up as they go. 

I wouldn't be surprised if AP wins his appeal and get reinstated.

I don't care for the fact that Goodell is judge, jury and executioner on AD's case and is acting solely due to the whims of the court of public opinion. If he truly wants to help players, focus more on establishing classes and seminars where these athletes understand that there are different ways to discipline your kids.  Right or wrong and regardless of what your belief is, this is extremely common, as shown by dozens of athletes saying that's how they were raised, and most people don't know any other way. Help them learn.  He's a reactionary dickbag who is just trying to safe face after his royal f*ck up of the Rice case and cares less about actually improving the well-being of the athletes and their families.  

This. ^

There's no consistency. Two games for beating your wife, 4 games for rape, 8 games for killing someone while driving drunk, 4 games for smoking pot.  AP gets an indefinite suspension for pleading out to a misdemeanor. It’s ridiculously bad.

The Commish is just trying to delay this as long as possible hoping the season runs out but I think AP wins his appeal eventually and they are forced to settle it.  Especially if Rice wins his this week.

And that is part of the irony...players are bitching that Goodell is Judge, Jury and Executioner, but that is what they collectively bargained for not too long ago.

I laugh when anyone crushes Goodell for this.  You whined when he only came down with 2 games for Rice.  Now, you are whining he came down too hard on AP.  You cannot have it both ways.

I don't want to live in a world where dudes who punch their wives and fathers who shove leaves in their kids' mouths before whipping them with a tree branch don't get treated fairly. We're about 1/2 a step away from living under Ceausescu as is.

The thing that I have an issue with is the NFL shouldn't be the one having to do the policing here, where the hell is the court?  I know that they have a history of staying out of people's houses, but if they did their job, the NFL wouldn't be the one having to dole out any punishment.  The Ray Rice deal is different, because she flat out lied to the police and is old enough to testify against the state should they pursue any charges, but I'm pretty shocked that AD only gets community service and a negligible fine.  The whole system seems pretty broken as is. 

The thing that I have an issue with is the NFL shouldn't be the one having to do the policing here, where the hell is the court?  I know that they have a history of staying out of people's houses, but if they did their job, the NFL wouldn't be the one having to dole out any punishment.  The Ray Rice deal is different, because she flat out lied to the police and is old enough to testify against the state should they pursue any charges, but I'm pretty shocked that AD only gets community service and a negligible fine.  The whole system seems pretty broken as is. 

That is a bit of a false dichotomy. The NFL isn't trying to do the court's job. The court did what it was supposed to do in this matter. The prosecutor plead it down because there is a grey area when it comes to corporal punishment in Texas and Hardin is a great attorney. A jury trial for this one was suicide. 2 years of probation is serious, saves money, and the public gets a good face for public service announcements.

The NFL isn't doing any policing, they're simply saying they don't want him. Huge, huge difference. They are not ordering him to go do anything, because they can't. There is no overreach here and the league is well within its right. The NFL doesn't impose penalties upon any of these guys beyond saying they can't play for them.

To be clear, this is exactly the same fallacious argument that Ditka tried to make about Rice. Nobody is taking away any of the rights of these guys. Playing for the NFL is not a right. This is not policing in any form whatsoever. Both Rice and Peterson are free to do what they want, act how they want, and go where they want.

That is a bit of a false dichotomy. The NFL isn't trying to do the court's job. The court did what it was supposed to do in this matter. The prosecutor plead it down because there is a grey area when it comes to corporal punishment in Texas and Hardin is a great attorney. A jury trial for this one was suicide. 2 years of probation is serious, saves money, and the public gets a good face for public service announcements.

The NFL isn't doing any policing, they're simply saying they don't want him. Huge, huge difference. They are not ordering him to go do anything, because they can't. There is no overreach here and the league is well within its right. The NFL doesn't impose penalties upon any of these guys beyond saying they can't play for them.

To be clear, this is exactly the same fallacious argument that Ditka tried to make about Rice. Nobody is taking away any of the rights of these guys. Playing for the NFL is not a right. This is not policing in any form whatsoever. Both Rice and Peterson are free to go do what they want, act how they want, and go where they want.

Thank you. 

What really irks me is that Commish wants to send Peterson to counciling of his choosing and wants to monitor how Peterson reponds to his chosen counselor and wants to see how AP treats his childrenin the future and wants to decide whether Peterson is remorseful enough to return.  WTF?  Who is he to be that kind of judge?

And that is part of the irony...players are bitching that Goodell is Judge, Jury and Executioner, but that is what they collectively bargained for not too long ago.

I laugh when anyone crushes Goodell for this.  You whined when he only came down with 2 games for Rice.  Now, you are whining he came down too hard on AP.  You cannot have it both ways.

I think the issue that most people have is the arbitrariness and inconsistencies of these rulings. 

Two games for Rice was worth whining over. The idea that smoking a joint the first time gets you four games, but knocking your girlfriend out cold only gets you two is completely absurd. Okay, so Goodell hears the outcry and makes it an automatic six games - unless there's a video on TMZ, then it's an indefinite ban. The guy doesn't come across as really caring about doing the right thing, he seems to be a reactionary to wherever the public opinion winds are blowing. 

Make the policy that you automatically go on this commissioner's list, suspended with pay, if you're charged with domestic abuse, and then suspended indefinitely -a minimum of six weeks- without pay if convicted. Done. That's your policy, and it still gives you plenty of wiggle room to end those indefinite suspensions based on the individual circumstances. 

And the real emphasis needs to be on prevention. The league doesn't want these headaches, but more importantly, they should want to keep their players' families safe. Every rookie should go thru a domestic violence seminar when they first enter the league, and the league should have a mandatory class in place for every team to be a part of, every year. 

Archived