PFF CB rankings

AFJF

Just thought I'd pass some of these along w/o going in to great detail...players that some Jets fans might be interested in for one reason or another.

#2- Vontae Davis

#3- Brandon Flowers

#5- Antonio Cromartie

#7- Darelle Revis

#19- Brent Grimes

#23- Captain Mennerlyn

t#27- Rodgers-Cromartie

t#27- Alterraun Verner

#48- Aquib Talib

#52- Antonio Allen

#57- Darrin Walls

#62- Kyle Wilson

#74- Kyle Fuller

#89- Phillip Adams

#96- Brandon Browner

The big question I have is...

How would Jet fans feel if we paid the big bucks to DRC and got the #27 CB?

I wouldn't have been thrilled which I why I was okay with letting him walk based on the years/dollars he wanted.  He wanted to be paid like an elite CB, but what's elite?  Top five?  Top ten?  Surely not top thirty?

What sucks is that we would probably have Vontae if he actually wanted to leave Indy

Flowers/Cromarite is what bothers me most.  Cro was a lock if we wanted him, and Flowers didn't demand a ton of money when he was let go.

Flowers/Cromarite is what bothers me most.  Cro was a lock if we wanted him, and Flowers didn't demand a ton of money when he was let go.

Who knew they'd have this type of year, especially cro. Thought this would be his last year in the NFL after what he showed last year. It just sucks. But agreed. 

What sucks is that we would probably have Vontae if he actually wanted to leave Indy

Yeah, I was badly hoping for Vontae. I also wanted Cro back. Idzik n Rex messed up on Cro. Could have had both for $12mil a yr. Would've solved the CB issues and would have given us more flexibility in the draft in the 3rd round. Probably could have moved up to grab Jordan Mathews (wasn't a fan of Marquis Lee). Wouldn't need the Percy trade to go down either so cap situation would have been somewhat similar. Each passing wk makes Idzik look worse and worse. 

Who knew they'd have this type of year, especially cro. Thought this would be his last year in the NFL after what he showed last year. It just sucks. But agreed. 

Cro played hurt all of last yr. He was bound to have a comeback yr. 

How did Antonio Cromarrie go from being a bottom-five rated corner in the league to being top-five? It's almost like Rex's system is inflexible and asks corners to do stuff that only an elite talent like Darrelle Revis can do.

I don't understand how he is playing well without Rex to begin with. Or any corner for that matter.

How did Antonio Cromarrie go from being a bottom-five rated corner in the league to being top-five? It's almost like Rex's system is inflexible and asks corners to do stuff that only an elite talent like Darrelle Revis can do.

Uh, he was actually good under Rex until he had that injury problem last year. Let's not rewrite history, he was a good corner under Rex, even that year when Revis was hurt.

Idzik didn't even call Flowers agent. One thing not to get him, another thing to be asleep at the wheel.

I definitely got the impression that they made no effort, and even if they did it obviously wasn't a very good one based on what he signed for.

Just thought I'd pass some of these along w/o going in to great detail...players that some Jets fans might be interested in for one reason or another.

#2- Vontae Davis

#3- Brandon Flowers

#5- Antonio Cromartie

#7- Darelle Revis

#19- Brent Grimes

#23- Captain Mennerlyn

t#27- Rodgers-Cromartie

t#27- Alterraun Verner

#48- Aquib Talib

#52- Antonio Allen

#57- Darrin Walls

#62- Kyle Wilson

#74- Kyle Fuller

#89- Phillip Adams

#96- Brandon Browner

Who is #1?Sherman?

Cromartie was horrible for whatever reason last year- can not fault us for not resigning him.

I felt the same way initially, but just before the season kicked off I changed course on that.  For the amount of cap space they had, the need at the position, and what Cro signed for, it was pretty much zero risk/high reward IMO.

Beast. Mode.

He's clearly not as bad in reality as he is in my mind.  To me, he's the worst CB in the NFL.  I don't see how opposing OC's don't tell the QB to just throw it to whoever Wilson is covering to make life easy and end up with an 85% completion rate.

Cro non signing is what baffles me. You sign a veteran who wants to be here and having him on the roster gives you the freedom to not reach for a CB like McDougle in the 3rd round.

McDougle might still end up being a player but the JETS sure had a decent shot of getting him the lower rounds and not have to burn a 3rd round pick on him.

No 30yo with a hip injury in the NFL is bound for a comeback year. That's why we didn't consider it. Though, hindsight, we should have.

Your right about that, but what in the world made Idzik think that Patterson could replace him? The guy has always been a bum who couldn't stay healthy.

At least with Cro he had played at a high level in the past. There was a fair chance he would have a comeback year. With Patterson 0 chance .

The money was fairly close. Real bone head move

Your right about that, but what in the world made Idzik think that Patterson could replace him? The guy has always been a bum who couldn't stay healthy.

At least with Cro he had played at a high level in the past. There was a fair chance he would have a comeback year. With Patterson 0 chance .

The money was fairly close. Real bone head move

Yeah, makes no sense. Can't find a way to justify it. Unless there's something we don't know.

There's always a rub with these ratings. Cro is probably rated pretty highly because Peterson is busy getting torched by #1 wideouts. Meanwhile Cro is able to handle #2 wideouts, getting lightly targeted because the #1's are getting open against Peterson, and playing behind a nice front seven. It's a great situation for a #2 corner.

All that said, not re-signing him was dumb. He's an athletic specimen who may or may not have been primed for a comeback year coming off an injury, wanted to be here, and was going to come cheap. Low risk move. Seemed like a no brainer before the offseason started, and then they missed on a bunch of corners, got too cute, and brought in Patterson instead.

No 30yo with a hip injury in the NFL is bound for a comeback year. That's why we didn't consider it. Though, hindsight, we should have.

He was the worse CB in the entire NFL last yr. He wasn't repeating what he did in 2013. It wasn't a permanent injury. 

hip injury

you're better than this

This year has been pretty much the worst case scenario for Idzik it seems.  What the heck is the opposite of Midas touch?  Bhasmasur's Folly?  

Vonte Davis being this good hurt obviously because of how close he was to signing with us.  I think the Cromartie issue was more ego with Idzik than anything, and probably because of the media.  Everyone wondering who runs the show, and everyone knew that Rex loved Cro, so Idzik most likely felt like he could replace the guy with someone else and then take credit if the guy did well.  Since he was only here for one year to watch Cro, and that was a horrible year, he probably didn't heed to Rex's claim on having Cro back, which backfired.   It would've been defensible, especially without using hindsight if Cro wanted big money or they actually had a replacement in mind.  But a journeyman CB coming from a mediocre pass defense doesn't exactly fit the criteria.  

The "best" Cb on the team is a safety? That's about right. 

for the record Cromartie is not a valid option as a #1 CB. But as a #2 opposite PP (or Revis) he's actually good at it. Will ballhawk and make big plays. 

The Jets bringing back Cro to be a 1 CB probably wouldn't end well. But the CBs they have this year are atrocious and that's on Idzik. He got out negotiated all over the place. The list of s--tbums and losers they bought through this preseason was ridiculous. Dimitri Patterson, Johnny Patrick and Ras-I Dowling as the "veteran" options is not a solution. 

Archived