Percy Harvin Playing For His Contract

flgreen

Percy Harvin, playing for his contract, raises his expectations for Jets' final

6 games

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com By Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

on November 18, 2014 at 12:00 PM, updated November 18, 2014 at 12:30 PM

FLORHAM PARK – Percy Harvin got one week to prepare for his first game with the Jets, following his trade from Seattle. Now, with three games under his belt, one-third of the way through a nine-game tryout with the Jets, Harvin believes he can have a much greater impact this time around against the Bills.

The Jets visit Buffalo on Sunday, attempting to avenge a 43-23 loss on Oct. 26, Harvin’s debut. Harvin said playing in that game, with such a limited knowledge of the playbook, “was real tough.”

“That’s why I couldn’t play as fast as I wanted to play, because I was still trying to make sure I lined up in the right place, and didn’t want to look like I didn’t know what was going on out there,” he said. “This time, I’ll be able to play much faster. I won’t be thinking so much.”

Jets quarterback Michael Vick has raved about Harvin’s impact on the offense through three games. While the Jets’ offense hasn’t been perfect in its past two games – a loss at Kansas City and a win over the Steelers – the Jets didn’t turn the ball over in either contest. That is a huge step forward from the six-turnover debacle against the Bills.

“To see in these three weeks how our offense has grown, it only makes me chomp at the bit for what we can do going forward,” Harvin said.

In his first game, Harvin caught three passes for 22 yards, and ran four times for 28 yards. The next week, against the Chiefs, he broke out with 11 catches for 129 yards, plus a run for 8 yards, and a 65-yard kickoff return. Against the Steelers, Harvin caught three balls for 23 yards, and ran six times for 33 yards.

Three games down, six to go, as Harvin tries to show the Jets (or any other NFL team) that he is worthy of earning the $10.5 million, non-guaranteed base salary due to come his way next season. Or at least a dollar figure close to that.

Harvin has a lucrative contract, with four years remaining on it after this season. But because none of the money in the deal is guaranteed past 2014, the Jets’ trade for him was a fairly low-risk move. They would get nine games to evaluate him in their offense, and determine if they wanted to stick with him for 2015.

From Harvin's perspective, he is happy so far with the Jets. He said during last week's bye that he enjoyed the vibe around the Jets more than he did in Seattle. That statement is not surprising, considering Harvin is trying to do (and say) all the right things in New York, and how badly things soured for him in Seattle.

Harvin said it took him about a week and a half to learn the Jets’ West Coast offense. While he hasn’t mastered it, he is “a lot” farther along now than he was leading into his debut against the Bills.

“As far as lining up, timing, I’m way ahead of where I was,” he said. “I’m not thinking so much now. As soon as the play is called, I know exactly where I need to be, and all the adjustments and all the audibles to it. So I think I’ll be able to play much faster this game. There are still little things here and there that come up, but they’re not overall plays. Just maybe little checks or hand signals.”

The Jets’ coaches are also getting a better handle on Harvin’s strengths in their offense, said coach Rex Ryan. Will that help Harvin thrive in the final six games, as he plays for the large chunk of coin that could come his way in 2015?

“We do have a good feel for him now,” Ryan said. “We were working him again in two-minute situation (during Monday’s practice), so we’re getting him up to speed on no huddle and all that stuff as well.”

This is why I like the Harvin deal.  If he plays like  he's capable, he's under contract to be paid as a top performer so no real need to renegotiate.  If he doesn't, you let him go at pretty much zero loss.

This is why I like the Harvin deal.  If he plays like  he's capable, he's under contract to be paid as a top performer so no real need to renegotiate.  If he doesn't, you let him go at pretty much zero loss.

Harvin has been playing very well, he has ridiculous talent. The thing that scares me about him is his similarly to Holmes.. I really don't want to see him get a new monster contract, with guaranteed money at the end of the year.

I guess the way to go with him, if he continues to play well this year, is to let him play on his existing contract. Earning 10.5 million, he is going to have to put up monster numbers to make it worth while.

Harvin has been playing very well, he has ridiculous talent. The thing that scares me about him is his similarly to Holmes.. I really don't want to see him get a new monster contract, with guaranteed money at the end of the year.

I guess the way to go with him, if he continues to play well this year, is to let him play on his existing contract. Earning 10.5 million, he is going to have to put up monster numbers to make it worth while.

Yup, it's either renegotiating the old one for less or keeping the same contract. No reason to give him more money.

Yup, it's either renegotiating the old one for less or keeping the same contract. No reason to give him more money.

The problem is that a renegotiation would typically give him some signing bonus / guaranteed money.  Would he agree to a contract where he gets say $8M per year for a few years with no guarantees?  I dunno, I suspect he'd rather test the FA market...

I think he's likely to take a paycut because of his injury concerns, especially all the concussions.   However, by the same token, that increases our risk in keeping him long term.   

The biggest problem is that his money next year is guaranteed as long as he's on the roster for the first day of the 2015 year, so the Jets don't have too much leverage to cut him, so they would have to work out something soon, probably before the season ends. or go with the current contract.  

The problem is that a renegotiation would typically give him some signing bonus / guaranteed money.  Would he agree to a contract where he gets say $8M per year for a few years with no guarantees?  I dunno, I suspect he'd rather test the FA market...

He's gonna get some guaranteed regardless. He's a great player. 

Only problem is we should have made this deal last summer or signed Desean Jackson when we had the chance.  The only good throw Vick has left in his repertoire is the play action deep fake and oh gee who is really good at that?  None other than his buddy Desean Jackson who resurrected his career in Philadelphia. 

Vick had a 70 yard td pass on a play action fake with TJ friggin Graham.  Imagine if he had Desean Jackson to throw to.  FU Idzik.

...for the payday.

Of course.

That's why the Jets have to keep his payday in front of him. Under his current contract he is being overpaid. Harvin wants to keep it that way. To get paid $10,500,000 next year, he better have a monster final 6 games.

Whoever is in charge next year has to decide if they want to over pay him, but probably get good production, he's still got another $10,000,000 in 16 to play for, or take the risk of giving him a new contract, at top value, and new money, or just cut ties.

I suspect if Idzik is still here, Harvin is back. If there is another GM, he's gone

Only problem is we should have made this deal last summer or signed Desean Jackson when we had the chance.  The only good throw Vick has left in his repertoire is the play action deep fake and oh gee who is really good at that?  None other than his buddy Desean Jackson who resurrected his career in Philadelphia. 

Vick had a 70 yard td pass on a play action fake with TJ friggin Graham.  Imagine if he had Desean Jackson to throw to.  FU Idzik.

DeSean Jackson is in Washington and I am not sure why his career required resurrecting.  80 for 1300 and 9 TDs is not enough for your people?

the Jets need playmakers. They don't need more cap space.

Percy Harvin is one of the handful of players on this team that's actually a legitimate professional football player.

There's gotta be some sort of middle ground between 10 mil a year and letting him walk. 

I think they may just keep him at his current salary.  It is a bunch of money, but zero guaranteed, so he will constantly be in the same position he is in now.  I guess the pick may play into it, but I think $10M per may not be that big a deal, especially with no guarantee.

Well, once he's on the opening day roster, it's guaranteed for the year.

Personally, while I certainly think he's an exciting player, I don't think he's worth that kind of coin at all. If Idzik is still here, it's hard to imagine him stomaching that contract. Of course, he pulled the trigger on the trade in the first place so he may feel some pressure to keep him on the roster. There's no doubt that he'll continue to be on the hot seat, with every off season move he makes being scrutinized. I think he'll face a lot of criticism if he keeps Harvin without getting him to take a paycut.

If Idzik is gone, that's a whole 'nother thing. I'd think a new GM would be more inclined to play hardball with him, content to keep the fourth rounder. Especially if there are other FA WRs available in that $10M/year range that they like as much or better.

Archived