Contrast in Style: Rex vs. Pettine

Integrity28

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under Rex's term, he's had three different OCs, four different starting QBs (#6, #1, #7 and Simms), several different starting RBs, several different WRs and a handful of different TEs. The only ones that have remained the same in ALL these years are Brick and Mangold. So its not a matter of him not trying. Our scouting department just sucks. Theres no other way to put it. I don't care if Bradsh*t wanted Wilson in the 3rd round. If he was so sure of Russell, he would have picked him in the first. If Belichick was sure of Brady, he would've traded up to 1st overall and picked him. You don't take chances if you are sure a player would change the face of an organization.  We are deviating from the subject, but you get the point. 

You need to read "Crossers". The author lived with Pettine, so it's fair to consider he might have been treated somewhat better. But Pettine numerous times said something to the effect that he can't farm someone else's field, meaning his job was the defense, and it was the HC's job, not his, to straighten out the offense. And seriously this year if you are gonna push all the chips into the center of the table betting on Geno Smith, you deserve what ever happens to you. 

You simp. The issue was that they dumped good people and brought in bad people. As more of those good dudes (brought in under Mangini) left, the team got worse. Your ******* idiot coach tried to build a team around Santonio Holmes and Joe McKnight.

We're not discussing the "issue"...we discussing how Rex had to turnover the rosters when he arrived.  Besides, while short lived, the team got better before it got worse. 

Quantity of turnover doesn't equal "major turnover".

Like I said, which is the point you seem incapable of grasping, there were only about 4 positions that were replaced. The rest was trading JAGs for JAGs. To imply that Marquice Cole played "valuable minutes" as some meaningful upgrade over Drew Coleman (or whoever he replaced on the 3rd team defense) is laughable.

Going from Favre to Sanchez turned out to be a wash. Both turned the ball over a tone, both found ways to help us win a couple games we shouldnt' have.

Bart and Leonard helped make the defense better, no question. 

Braylon played some good football for us, but did he make such a splash that it upgraded the offense compared to what we had with Favre the year before? No.

Rex took Mangini's team swapped out 3-4 key players, and got the same results. It just so happened that we backed into the playoffs with Rex. The next year, the players added helped us improve. That was also the final year of having the offensive nucleus put in place during Mangini's years. After that, Rex's re-loading of the roster killed the team. Blame Tanny if you want, but nobody was blaming Tanny when they were fapping over the past-their-prime turds Rex was taking credit for during the press conferences.

I was responding to roster turnover.  19 active players to the roster were different from 08 to 09.  7 were starters. Thats a sh*t ton.  

Yes,  he really bet the farm on Joe McKnight.  If I have to hear one more time how they let Woodhead go...if that little cocksucker could play kick coverage, the Jets didn't need to beat the Colts to make the playoffs in 2009.  Or even worse, at 10-6 they'd have been tied for the division and might have had a home game.  JiF is a simp, but you and Ape are claiming Rex took Mangini's team when that team lost its single greatest asset?  

You mean Jenkins? It was the greatest magic trick a coach has ever pulled off in Tom's eyes when Rex still had the best D in Football that year after losing him.  

Oh wait, you meant Favre.  Kellen Clemens doesnt do it for you? 

I love how I put out facts but now the goal post has moved.  I <3 JN.

Yeah, Sanchez was basically Brett Favre. 

Nobody is saying that, but I deserve the barb. Reality is, Favre and Sanchez did the same things for us in Sanchez year 1 and Favre's year... lots of turnovers, lots of gutty comebacks. Sanchez actually won 2 playoff games. I wonder if Favre would have?

You mean Jenkins? It was the greatest magic trick a coach has ever pulled off in Tom's eyes when Rex still had the best D in Football that year after losing him.  

Oh wait, you meant Favre.  Kellen Clemens doesnt do it for you? 

I love how I put out facts but now the goal post has moved.  I <3 JN.

This was too easy... so, you're saying that Rex is exclusively responsible for the roster changes?

Nobody is saying that, but I deserve the barb. Reality is, Favre and Sanchez did the same things for us in Sanchez year 1 and Favre's year... lots of turnovers, lots of gutty comebacks. Sanchez actually won 2 playoff games. I wonder if Favre would have?

The team that Mangini built went 4-12 in 2007. 

In 2008 with a healthy Favre, they went 8-3, when Favre got hurt they finished the year 1-4. 

Favre's healthy period was the only time that Mangini team had any success in his last two years, otherwise they were 5-16. 

Rex turned that around with Mark Sanchez and 18 other new bodies the following year. 

It's a fallacy to suggest that Mangini built a team that Rex subsequently won with. The team that Mangini built sucked without Favre, and Favre wasn't amongst the players that Rex inherited. 

So, 4 losing seasons in a row won't get him fired, loyalty will. 

It's not so much about Ben Tate, as it is about the act of benching / dismissing a guy that doesn't compete and becomes divisive as a result. Look at Chris Johnson whining about not getting playing time, then look at Chris Johnson's performance. CJ got benched, but it took forever and now he's bitching.

Pac used the example of Derrick Mason, but the reality is Mason wasn't the only veteran WR causing problems at that time. He was just the new guy with the easiest contract to cut. Holmes was made captain.

the being too loyal leads to the losing.  the lack of accountability, lack of urgency, it's all related to rex's fun uncle sh*t

who the hell is ben tate ?  seriously I've never heard of him

the being too loyal leads to the losing.  the lack of accountability, lack of urgency, it's all related to rex's fun uncle sh*t

who the hell is ben tate ?  seriously I've never heard of him

He backed up Arian Foster in Houston. He looked good in Kubiak's zone blocking scheme. He's looked terrible in Cleveland since their center got hurt.

He backed up Arian Foster in Houston. He looked good in Kubiak's zone blocking scheme. He's looked terrible in Cleveland since their center got hurt.

oh

I give pettine credit for not declaring johhny the starter on draft day, rex would have done that

but benching a scrub is routune, every coach does it

In 2008 with a healthy Favre, they went 8-3, when Favre got hurt they finished the year 1-4. 

Favre's healthy period was the only time that Mangini team had any success in his last two years, otherwise they were 5-16. 

Rex turned that around with Mark Sanchez and 18 other new bodies the following year. 

It's a fallacy to suggest that Mangini built a team that Rex subsequently won with. The team that Mangini built sucked without Favre, and Favre wasn't amongst the players that Rex inherited. 

You tell him!  Amongst mother****er!

Mangini had a broken Penny, Clemens, and a half-year of healthy Favre. That's not reliability. If Favre stays healthy, Mangini never gets fired. I'd say you are exaggerating at best with that part of your statement.

As for the bold, you are just flat out wrong. If memory serves, in 2009 we got rid of Nugent and Coles. We kept the same OL, mostly the same defense. Revis got a year old, that was huge for Rex having Revis after he endured his rookie struggles. We added Braylon, Lito Shephard, Leonard and Bart. We only drafted 3 players: Sanchez, Slauson and Greene. At some point, I think we added Strickland that year.

As far as team turnover goes, there was barely any. There wasn't much major turnover in 2010 either. It was around 2011 when Rex started to really turn the team over and guys he endorsed as "his guys" started to fill the roster.

We all know how the rest goes.

Bunch of Bs (David Barrett, Eric Barton, David Bowens, Chris Bakers), Kenyon Coleman, Coles, Abram Elam, Ty Law, Justin Miller, CJ Mosley, Nugent, Hank Poteat, Chansi Stuckey. These were the guys let go in 2008 (Sherry Rhodes in 2009). All of these players had started for the Jets at some point. Some were actual starters. Most of them didn't last long enough after being released from the Jets. Some of these players saw their last NFL action under Mangini. I don't think any one of them are in the NFL anymore outside of our 2nd rounder K Nugent. Not a short list and certainly not an exaggeration. Thats almost half the starters on D by the way that was let go. No one outstanding, even from the starters.  So no, Im not flat out wrong. 

You need to read "Crossers". The author lived with Pettine, so it's fair to consider he might have been treated somewhat better. But Pettine numerous times said something to the effect that he can't farm someone else's field, meaning his job was the defense, and it was the HC's job, not his, to straighten out the offense. And seriously this year if you are gonna push all the chips into the center of the table betting on Geno Smith, you deserve what ever happens to you. 

Pettine couldn't even handle the defense. Not sure why he would be worried about the offense?

That is not true, Rex would suck as a HC for any of the other 31 teams in the NFL.

Rex has a NFL HC IQ of about 30.

Why do you think Ozzie didn't even consider him as HC of the Ravens?

Who told u Ozzie didn't consider him? U don't know ur sh*t, and I don't blame u for it. Its the Patriot arrogance. 

That is not true, Rex would suck as a HC for any of the other 31 teams in the NFL.

Rex has a NFL HC IQ of about 30.

Why do you think Ozzie didn't even consider him as HC of the Ravens?

Wow....I mean he was the HC of the team that beat the Pats in their own crib, very convincingly I might add when JETS last met Pats in the playoffs ?

If he has such a low NFL HC IQ how could he beat the genius that is Belichick ? Please do answer this.

Yet Sanchez won 11 games that year...

Did Sanchez win them, or did Rex? Anyway, I'm talking about the regular season. We never got to see what Mangina would have done in the playoffs, and frankly it doesn't matter. I started the thread to illustrate the huge gap in the approach of Pettine vs. Rex.

Did Sanchez win them, or did Rex? Anyway, I'm talking about the regular season. We never got to see what Mangina would have done in the playoffs, and frankly it doesn't matter. I started the thread to illustrate the huge gap in the approach of Pettine vs. Rex.

Mangini did make the playoffs in year one though...got his ass handed to him by NE.

Yes, but it is a means to the end of getting people to admit that coaches are as much responsible for building the team as the GM is. Especially where it concerns the last 2 head coaches of the Jets.

Thank you.

Yes, but it is a means to the end of getting people to admit that coaches are as much responsible for building the team as the GM is. Especially where it concerns the last 2 head coaches of the Jets.

Thank you.

Oh really? Lol. So you admit that this Mangini built the team that Rex won with thing is BS, then? Thank you!

Tannenbaum and Mangini came in at the same time, and essentially worked as partners. Tannenbaum hired Rex, and whether they had the same relationship remains unclear at best. 

I don't think that anyone ever suggested that Rex didn't influence the roster, just that the GM has the ultimate responsibility for every move made. That's the man's job. 

Yawn.

You started it. You had a grudge obviously.

Grudges are pathetic.

You are the one who thinks you are being pathetic.

Everyone sees it, except you.

And now you keep deluding yourself.

I am just glad you are still awake almost two hours down the road after yawning and still typing in hyper-crap.

My job here is done.

See ya.

Pennington. Not Favre.

2006 team, not the 2008 team that Rex "inherited" in 2009.

Gotcha...saw your comment about not getting to see what Mangini could do in the playoffs, didn't realize you were talking about a specific year.  

Archived