Contrast in Style: Rex vs. Pettine

Integrity28

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember that time Pettine cut Josh Gordon for being a 3-peat distraction to his team, so he could demonstrate to all that there's a new sheriff in town? That was so cool.

Gordon's suspension carried over from last year. From all indications, this recent one got through to him. If the player can be mentioned in the same breath as Megatron and AJ Green, then it's worth noting which way he's trending. Ben Tate, on the other hand, trended towards disgruntled. 

I get what you're saying though. 

So... getting back on track, with Gato here.

I don't disagree that there's some of this at play for Pettine, but I also don't think you can discredit the value of having a head coach that brings structure, discipline and an overall vision to the job. There's a lot of good things about Rex as a coach, but he falls down in those areas, unfortunately. I'm not saying this to imply Pettine is better, rather the type of figurehead Pettine seems to be is better for an organization. In general.

Meh, things said about Mangini in his first year. Teams like to alternate so yeah - the next Jets coach is going to be Serious Bidness all the time. 

It would be nice if Harbaugh made this easy by not winning the SB and leaving the 49ers. He should bring Aldon Smith with him.

Meh, things said about Mangini in his first year. Teams like to alternate so yeah - the next Jets coach is going to be Serious Bidness all the time. 

It would be nice if Harbaugh made this easy by not winning the SB and leaving the 49ers.

Rumor has it his wife doesn't want to leave the Bay area, so if he leaves SF he's likely going to Oakland.

Weak, he's good.

I know he's a good candidate, I'm just saying Belli has an established history of 1.) hating the Jets, 2.) not wanting to work for the Jets, and 3.) advising those close to him not to come work for the Jets.

I'm not saying this is a good reason, but it's probably a reason we can forget about it happening. 

Being a God in Alabama >>>>>>>> Being your pal's in-division whipping boy

The Browns signed Ben Tate to a decent FA contract, and that didn't stop them from bolstering the competition at RB as they also drafted West and signed UDFA Crowell. As the season has gone on, the Browns have started a different RB from week-to-week, rewarding the player with the best week of practice with the start. This comes on the heels of them choosing Brian Hoyer as their QB over the media darling Manziel, because Hoyer out-played Manziel and earned it.

This is what I'd consider an example of true competition, and the result is an over-achieving football team. What we've seen under Rex has never come close to this, in any way, shape or form.

As Tate has become disgruntled over his demotion, Pettine has on a number of occasions given the blueprint for him to regain his job. He's made it clear Tate needed to outplay his backfield mates in practice, he failed to do so, and chose the route of complaining to the media. 

He was cut today. Not only was he benched for performance reasons, but he was kept on the bench and ultimately released for disciplinary reasons. Here with Rex, players miss meetings and get starts. It was only here in year 6, after the backlash of Geno getting the start after missing meetings that Rex finally benched a guy for disciplinary reasons. 

How these two could ever function in the same room together is beyond me.

Obviously what Rex showed Pettine was how NOT to coach in the NFL and Pettine took the teachings to heart. Rex will next show him how to be fired gracefully. Rex was crushed by media expectations with the whole Tim Tebow fiasco - which Rex handled extremely poorly, not to mention hiring Sparano as OC with no previous experience. Then you look at the teams' draft record which sucks out loud  - and don't tell me Rex doesn't have a LOT of input on those decisions. Then you get to the teams lack of accountability, which all you need to look at for that is Kyle Wilson. The guy has been here for five years and hasn't made more than a handful of plays - if that. Rex kept trotting TE Matt Mulligan out there to jump offside on third and one so many times I thought it was a secret coaching ploy. Then you have Quinton Coples - a DE playing LB because Rex is so inflexible in his scheme that he can ONLY script a 3-4, so stick a square peg in a round hole and hope for the best......this is only scratching the surface of what Rex has brought. Not to mention also, a big mouth that doesn't EVER back up what he says.

I know he's a good candidate, I'm just saying Belli has an established history of 1.) hating the Jets, 2.) not wanting to work for the Jets, and 3.) advising those close to him not to come work for the Jets.

I'm not saying this is a good reason, but it's probably a reason we can forget about it happening. 

I still submit this is weak. Jets should go hard.

Saban to Jets????  lmao

Better chance of your emails being read by Idzik on who to draft.

Archived