Could Rex Stay On As Defensive Coordinator?

SoFlaJets

He would be. I could see him doing that for a year, collecting the rest of his money from the Jets while keeping his profile up at the same time, but I think he's still too young and too competitive to give up coaching for a full time TV job now.

yeah this is a guy who wants to be in the trenches

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should never happen. The demoting of the HC to a DC would create divided loyalties at a time where the new HC needs to have everyone's attention. Rex has got to go and Idzik as well. Housecleaning time.

Terrible decision to keep Rex on when they hired Idzik...they should have let him select a new HC.

I don't know what it is LL but whenever you make these short and right to the point posts, I am able to see the idea (and this one as a bad one) more clearly. You make a really good point there as far as how it would serve to divide the lockerroom at the worst possible time. But as JiF said above it's such a bad idea that only the Jets would be crazy enough to do it. hey, what other team that we know of that keeps certain coaches around no matter who the head coach is or the draft guy? That's why I didn't see this as a totally crazy premise as far as the NEW YORK FOOTBALL TEAM CALLED THE JETS are concerned. Woody Johnson has been doing stupid sh!te like this for the past 15 years...Bob Sutton, Mike Tannenbaum, Mike Westhoff, Terry Bradway...why NOT Rex Ryan?

Rex would be better off taking an analyst job for one of the networks.

Alot more money and alot less hours.

I for one, think Rex would be outstanding on TV.

Rex wouldn't make close to what he makes now. Rex currently makes about $4,000,000

http://coacheshotseat.com/NFLCoachesSalaries.htm

The average ex-jock ex-HC analysis make between $200,000-$500,000 a year. Rex would probably fall in that category for some years until he established himself as a lasting personality.

A small handful of the top guys, like Cowher, make up to $4,000,000. That is a major exception.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ray-lewis-shannon-sharpe-business-604890

everyone assumes REX getting fired, keep in mind that he was extended last year. He's got an entire 2015 salary guaranteed coming his way. Woody would have to buy him out. If they want someone really good they have to fire Idzik too and then Woody would have to buy HIM out as well. 

Woody Johnson. That guy doesn't want to buy out anyone. 

The first one out the door should be Idzik. The new GM should be given the choice of extending or terminating Rex. Love Rex and with the cast he has been given in the defensive backfield. 4th in rushing D and 15th in passing D with a QB who put a lot of point on the board for the opposition.  

everyone assumes REX getting fired, keep in mind that he was extended last year. He's got an entire 2015 salary guaranteed coming his way. Woody would have to buy him out. If they want someone really good they have to fire Idzik too and then Woody would have to buy HIM out as well. 

No. Rex got the extension he got specifically so that they could cut ties with him after this season.

Idzik's deal might be dicier, but then Woody is looking at either getting rid of him now, or being in a position where he needs to buy the next coach out of a couple years of his contract. Don't know if Woody looks that far ahead, but he should. Maybe that's Neil Glat's job.

Woody Johnson's net worth is $3.5 billion.

What would it take to buy out Rex and Idzik for 1 year?  $5MM?

That would come to .14% of Woody's net worth.

Bitonti S. Preston Esq. Financial wizard extraordinaire.

No. Rex got the extension he got specifically so that they could cut ties with him after this season.

Idzik's deal might be dicier, but then Woody is looking at either getting rid of him now, or being in a position where he needs to buy the next coach out of a couple years of his contract. Don't know if Woody looks that far ahead, but he should. Maybe that's Neil Glat's job.

look at the articles again Rex's 2015 salary is guaranteed. It was a 2 year extension to avoid lame duck-ness. They can cut ties with him after 2015 without penalty. 

Depending on the source, the salary owed is rumored to be in the 3-4 mil range. 

Woody Johnson's net worth is $3.5 billion.

What would it take to buy out Rex and Idzik for 1 year?  $5MM?

That would come to .14% of Woody's net worth.

what would it cost Woody to sign a decent cornerback? Just cause he has the money doesn't mean he wants to spend it. 

Bitonti S. Preston Esq. Financial wizard extraordinaire.

It doesn't take a wizard. But that's nice.  

Keep in mind it's not just the buying out it's also the hiring of a new person to do the same job. 

Woody would have to pay Rex not to coach and then pay another person to coach. 

That's very un-Woody. 

what would it cost Woody to sign a decent cornerback? Just cause he has the money doesn't mean he wants to spend it. 

Just how many resources are we supposed to devote to the secondary?  It's by far the most overrated location to spend your money and picks, yet it's the one place other than DL we've put the most resources towards in the Rex era. 

Before the Seahawks Super Bowl victory, can you even name the corners or safeties on the 2013 Ravens, 2012 Giants, 2011 Packers (Woodson?), 2010 Saints or 2009 Steelers?  And even with their great secondary those mighty Seahawks are 6-4.  The Eagles and Cardinals can't stop the pass at all and are the top 2 teams in the NFC.

I'm not saying secondary isn't important.  But the premium teams spend on corners these days just isn't worth it.  We drafted Dee Milliner, Kyle Wilson and Calvin Pryor in the 1st.  In financial terms none of them cost a lot, but in draft resources that's a heavy price to pay.  Plus we'd previously spent big-time on Revis and Cromartie, which won us exactly 0 trophies. 

Over-paying for a Vontae Davis or DRC would maybe put us at 3-7 or 4-6.  Which would put us in a pick range to select another corner/safety and start the cycle all over again.

Just how many resources are we supposed to devote to the secondary?  It's by far the most overrated location to spend your money and picks, yet it's the one place other than DL we've put the most resources towards in the Rex era.  

it's a passing league and the Jets are trotting out street free agents as starters. Surely there's a middle ground. 

BTW 80 all those years you wanted to get rid of revis so they could spend QB money on a QB. 

How's that working out? 

Just cause you can afford to pay a franchise QB doesn't mean there's one available.

it's a passing league and the Jets are trotting out street free agents as starters. Surely there's a middle ground. 

BTW 80 all those years you wanted to get rid of revis so they could spend QB money on a QB. 

How's that working out? 

Just cause you can afford to pay a franchise QB doesn't mean there's one available.

The Patriots have Tom Brady and we have Geno Smith/Michael Vick.  That's kind of important. 

You only spend big on free agents when you already have a franchise QB to build around.  Sort of like what the Broncos did on defense this past offseason.  Spending big in our case would have made zero sense.  We'd be sitting here at 6-10 and wondering who else we could have bought to get us to 9-7.

I have zero problems with how Idzik spent his money this offseason.  It was up to Rex to make it work on D with the resources he had and he couldn't.  He's supposed to be able to keep the D playing at a high level without having to burn top picks and money on that side of the ball all the time. 

Idzik's problem lies with draft failures, plain and simple.  The question is whether we give him a chance to start fresh with a new HC and new scouts.

Players have no impact whatsoever on Woody's bottom line.

That is why there is a salary cap in the NFL, as the entire cap is a business operating expense and has specific minimum and maximum spending limits.

It doesn't take a wizard. But that's nice.

Keep in mind it's not just the buying out it's also the hiring of a new person to do the same job.

Woody would have to pay Rex not to coach and then pay another person to coach.

That's very un-Woody.

That's a very in-depth breakdown. If only we had something to base this off of. Like say, the contractual situation of the guy that coached the team before Rex when he was hired.

look at the articles again Rex's 2015 salary is guaranteed. It was a 2 year extension to avoid lame duck-ness. They can cut ties with him after 2015 without penalty. 

Depending on the source, the salary owed is rumored to be in the 3-4 mil range.

I'm fully aware to that. Eating one year on a deal is no big deal. The reason he got a contract with only one year guaranteed, as opposed to the standard coach's contract that is entirely guaranteed, was so that they could inexpensively cut ties with him this year if that's what they decided to do.

His contract is no impediment to firing him.

You must've missed the Kotite years. No one was playing for their next contract or personal success on that team. Or even under Groh or Mangini, who they quit on completely by design.

This is a bad football team, but they played well against the Steelers - especially early, coming out of the locker room knowing full well that a new record losing streak was on the line, and having enough pride not to want to be a part of that. As the game wore on, the lack of talent became more apparent, but they showed up to win. Not many 1-8 football teams do.

They were +4 in the turnover differential and only put up 20 points. 

The Jets didn't do anything special to win, the Steelers just sh*t the bed.

That's a very in-depth breakdown. If only we had something to base this off of. Like say, the contractual situation of the guy that coached the team before Rex when he was hired.

I can do you one better and point when Woody bought out Tanny's last year, in 2012. 

But that was back when Woody was spending money. 

talking about moves made in the past is about as relevant as talking about when they brought in Favre. Remember when they had Revis? Remember when????

They aren't spending anymore.  The Jets are operating at full clench. 

I can do you one better and point when Woody bought out Tanny's last year, in 2012.

But that was back when Woody was spending money.

talking about moves made in the past is about as relevant as talking about when they brought in Favre. Remember when they had Revis? Remember when????

They aren't spending anymore. The Jets are operating at full clench.

$50 to the Wounded Warrior Project that Rex is gone after this season. Deal? Loser has to make the donation in the name of "(winner) is much smarter at life than (loser)."

$50 to the Wounded Warrior Project that Rex is gone after this season. Deal? Loser has to make the donation in the name of "(winner) is much smarter at life than (loser)."

ill take that deal as it's a great cause. But I should be getting points or something equivalent. 

Frankly I will wait till end of the season to decide whether Rex gets fired or not. Even if the JETS finish 5-11, 6-10 I see Rex coming back. Unless there is a very strong candidate willing to sign up with the JETS. A Gruden or a Cowher might make the JETS think again.

I think Idzik is on a much shaky ground. Which may not be fair to him but is the reality of the situation.

This is an idiotic idea that can never happen.  This being the Jets, I put the odds at 75%.

I still think that we should be able to either like or unlike a post going one better than Facebook but LIKE Facebook let's see who says what. I "liked" Dom's post here

• 2 weeks later...

don't misunderstand the question here guys. I'm not saying that that is what I HOPE will happen, because my personal opinion is that there should be 3 guys fired in January;

1A: Rex Ryan

1B: John Idiotz

1C: Terry Bradway

it's only too bad that the REAL culprit that needs to go can never be fired unless he drunkenly breaks into the Bronx Zoo and screws a baby orangutan otherwise, well we're stuck with the idiot. Woody Johnson would be #1AAA

Idk ive been re-thinking my feelings about Bradway. Not saying he's a genius, but he IS the only one in that FO who is competent somewhat. He is the only "football" connection to woody. All of these draft picks that people are using to defend tannabum and idzig were actually Bradway....Cothchery, Coles, Mangold, Brick, Moss, Harris, Vilma, Kerley...... blah blah blah. Without him, who knows what depths we would plunder to. lol I cant say Im around them day to day, but with my limited knowledge of the way they function, Im not sure Bradway is that bad.

We all know the reason that he still has a job for the past two years is because of the affection that the owner has for this coach and it is my personal belief that the "other" reason is that Johnson didn't want to be the only Jets representative up there on the stage after the last big front office purge. Everyone was canned except for Bradway and Ryan. This year is different, there is no possible way or any reason that can be given to keep Rex Ryan on as the head coach going forward. My question for the board is this; has it ever been done before, a HC being demoted by the same team and gone down to a coordinators position after being the head coach?

Absurd post. There is absolutely NO F-ING WAY a HC would keep the former HC around in a lesser capacity. It could not possibly work.

Archived