Marty Mornhinweg would help our "Suck for the Duck" campaign.

Jetsfan80

5-27 as HC of the Lions.  The man has a nose for getting top draft picks.  We should have fired Rex earlier in the season, since his goal (winning to audition for his next job) goes counter to our fan-tanking priorities.  Thus opening the door for Mornhinweg as the interim coach.

If only we had hired Rod Marinelli onto our staff after Pettine left.  The coach of the 0-16 Lions campaign would also be a solid fit.  Though of course Matt Millen was the architect of that disaster/success story that netted the team a capable, though overrated, Matthew Stafford.

I was initially for keeping Idzik on board and letting him get his own head coach but I have since soured on him.  How do you not fire Wrecks during the bye week, get the distraction out of the way and concentrate on finding his replacement (MM heading the team would be a cherry on top re getting draft picks).  Now, Idzik will have the distraction of Ryan through the end of the year and into January.  Not very bright if you ask me.

I was initially for keeping Idzik on board and letting him get his own head coach but I have since soured on him.  How do you not fire Wrecks during the bye week, get the distraction out of the way and concentrate on finding his replacement (MM heading the team would be a cherry on top re getting draft picks).  Now, Idzik will have the distraction of Ryan through the end of the year and into January.  Not very bright if you ask me.

Have to wonder if a loss to Pittsburgh would have made that happen.  Also have to wonder how much influence Woody has in Rex staying around, as he's already said both Idzik and Rex will be evaluated after the season.

I hate that this organization has no clear chain of command.  It's much harder to determine what changes need to be made.  Blowing it all up and starting over with a brand new GM and HC sounds good until you remember that Woody Johnson will be hiring said GM.

If Idzik fired Rex, and the Jets lost to the point where they had the first pick in the draft, someone other than Idzik would've been making the selection. If Woody wanted the first pick in the draft, he could've fired both of them. I think that was a real possibility if the losing streak went one more game. Now Idzik's holding on for dear life, and needs wins to keep his job.

If Idzik fired Rex, and the Jets lost to the point where they had the first pick in the draft, someone other than Idzik would've been making the selection. If Woody wanted the first pick in the draft, he could've fired both of them. I think that was a real possibility if the losing streak went one more game. Now Idzik's holding on for dear life, and needs wins to keep his job.

I guess I wish that the GM/HC both fighting for wins was something Woody realized ran counter to the long-term success of the franchise.  But this is Woody we're talking about so.....

Mariota is a mediocre prospect that no GM is tanking the season for...none.  Acting like this guy is a sure fire star in the NFL, like an Andrew Luck, is crazy talk and you're not paying attention.

A GM who largely sucks at his job, doesnt want to lose anymore games than he already has with the hopes that some mediocre prospect pans out.

Only fans think this way. 

Agreed, but to be fair Woody could've forced that mandate on him.

Mariota is a mediocre prospect that no GM is tanking the season for...none.  Acting like this guy is a sure fire star in the NFL, like an Andrew Luck, is crazy talk and you're not paying attention.

Of course he's not but he's clearly the pick if he falls to us at the 3rd or 4th slot.  Him not being a "can't miss" doesn't mean you let him go to someone else.

If the Jets are in position to take Mariotta or Cooper who do you take and why?

Mariota.  I don't give a sh** if the kid is an overrated prospect.  You have to keep drafting QB's until you find one.  Amari Cooper doesn't help us if he has a sh*tbag trying to get him the ball.  As insane as it sounds I even would consider taking Winston over Cooper for that reason.  His personality in NYC would be a nightmare but the kid has talent.  Pair the young QB with, hopefully, and offense-minded HC and see what happens.

If they do roll with Cooper they had better damn well get someone like Brian Hoyer in here.

unfair to blame idzik for not firing rex. in woody world, the GM makes the decision on who starts and the Owner makes the decision on who is hired, and the HC makes the decisions on catering.

Mariota.  I don't give a sh** if the kid is an overrated prospect.  You have to keep drafting QB's until you find one.  Amari Cooper doesn't help us if he has a sh*tbag trying to get him the ball.  As insane as it sounds I even would consider taking Winston over Cooper for that reason.  His personality in NYC would be a nightmare but the kid has talent.

yes

Mariota.  I don't give a sh** if the kid is an overrated prospect.  You have to keep drafting QB's until you find one.  Amari Cooper doesn't help us if he has a sh*tbag trying to get him the ball.  As insane as it sounds I even would consider taking Winston over Cooper for that reason.  His personality in NYC would be a nightmare but the kid has talent.

Biggest myth being perpetuated at the moment. Off-field issues aside, Winston is hot garbage. Will be a worse pro than Geno Smith, and unlike Geno (who we took in the 2nd round), if we take Winston in the 1st it means we'd be committing to him for the next 3 years at least. It will be a disastrous decision for this franchise that will go down in football history alongside picks like Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell.

Biggest myth being perpetuated at the moment. Off-field issues aside, Winston is hot garbage. Will be a worse pro than Geno Smith, and unlike Geno (who we took in the 2nd round), if we take Winston in the 1st it means we'd be committing to him for the next 3 years at least. It will be a disastrous decision for this franchise that will go down in football history alongside picks like Ryan Leaf and JaMarcus Russell.

We should have just taken Garoppolo and been done with it. 

Of course he's not but he's clearly the pick if he falls to us at the 3rd or 4th slot.  Him not being a "can't miss" doesn't mean you let him go to someone else.

Him not being a "cant miss" is why you dont tank the season for.  Which was the purpose of the thread, no?  

I got ridiculed for it form the ilk, but this team needs to learn how to win and there isnt a prospect that is worthy of tanking the season and losing the opportunity for these players to grow.

Mariota.  I don't give a sh** if the kid is an overrated prospect.  You have to keep drafting QB's until you find one.  Amari Cooper doesn't help us if he has a sh*tbag trying to get him the ball.  As insane as it sounds I even would consider taking Winston over Cooper for that reason.  His personality in NYC would be a nightmare but the kid has talent.  Pair the young QB with, hopefully, and offense-minded HC and see what happens.

If they do roll with Cooper they had better damn well get someone like Brian Hoyer in here.

The Jets cant afford to miss on a high draft pick. They've done enough of that.  Cooper is a better prospect than both players, IMO.

Him not being a "cant miss" is why you dont tank the season for. Which was the purpose of the thread, no?

I got ridiculed for it form the ilk, but this team needs to learn how to win and there isnt a prospect that is worthy of tanking the season and losing the opportunity for these players to grow.

The Jets cant afford to miss on a high draft pick. They've done enough of that. Cooper is a better prospect than both players, IMO.

Are you and 80 going to do mma to each other in order to solve your differences in this thread?

Him not being a "cant miss" is why you dont tank the season for.  Which was the purpose of the thread, no?  

The Jets cant afford to miss on a high draft pick. They've done enough of that.  Cooper is a better prospect than both players, IMO.

Why saddle Cooper with Jets? He's a great hard working kid who is destined to be next Jerry Rice, It would be cruel punishment

to have him languish with jets.

NO QB from Oregon survives the NFL. Do yourself a favor and look at the previous QBs to come out of Oregon that played in the NFL. Ok, go do that sht so you can stop with the Marriota trash. you all call me nuts for wanting to play Simms, im gonna tell you wanting Marriota is nuts. It's almost like you havent been following college football players when they make it to the NFL. Oregon does not produce quality talent. They produce more Defense/Oline etc. Jonathan Stewart was the only guy in my recent memory to have star potential and he is always injured and Casey Mathews is not his brother.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oregon_Ducks_starting_quarterbacks

http://espn.go.com/nfl/college/_/letter/o

Look at their top players. It's depressing. You are enamored with their production in college football but when they play programs that are NFL based (SEC/ACC) they get hammered. We dont want college players. we want NFL players.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/795035-oregon-ducks-football-best-qbs-of-all-time

think about it. the best decision is not go for a QB with the highest pick in the draft. Use it for an offensive weapon like a receiver that we've been desperately needing. 

Why saddle Cooper with Jets? He's a great hard working kid who is destined to be next Jerry Rice, It would be cruel punishment

to have him languish with jets.

Funny enough baby Crusher and I had this exact conversation.  Would be a sin to to draft that kid to the Jets.  Like putting snow tires on a Lamborghini. 

A GM who largely sucks at his job, doesnt want to lose anymore games than he already has with the hopes that some mediocre prospect pans out.

When is your interview for the Gators job? I'm pulling for you.

We should have just taken Garoppolo and been done with it. 

that would have saved Idziot job and possibly Rex - no matter how good or bad Garoppolo is at least that would have given org some slim hope for an immed future.

Putting all his eggs into Geno and Vick - he doomed himself.

ps I would even root for Idziot if he had taken Jimmy G.......now I f**Kg hate him to put it softly.

The more I watch Mariota the less I want him.  He's Geno with more running ability.  All of his college plays are out of the shotgun.  There's a ton of dink and dunk in the offense he plays in which is not pro style.  No one agrees with me but I'd much rather have Winston.  I'd even take Hoyer over Mariota and I don't think Hoyer is that good.

that would have saved Idziot job and possibly Rex - no matter how good or bad Garoppolo is at least that would have given org some slim hope for an immed future.

Putting all his eggs into Geno and Vick - he doomed himself.

ps I would even root for Idziot if he had taken Jimmy G.......now I f**Kg hate him to put it softly.

That's what I was saying all off-season long on JI while 99.9% of Jets fans were loving the stupid Mike Vick signing. I knew it would hurt the team and was pointless.  We should have drafted a qb or 2 in the middle-rounds.  Would have made way more sense than wasting picks on scrubs like Jalen Saunders and Dex McDougle.

Mariota has all the red flags Geno had in college - he's just not a headcase like Geno.  Takes 100% of snaps in the shotgun, most of his passes are to the flats and drag routes, most of his reads are 1-2 receivers.  I actually think Mariota might end up being worse at reading NFL defenses than Geno - and Geno is not good.

Jameis Winston is the best qb in this draft.  This idiots can drone on all day about him not being a nice guy the fact is there is no other qb in this draft that is even close when it comes to ability.

Mariota has all the red flags Geno had in college - he's just not a headcase like Geno.  Takes 100% of snaps in the shotgun, most of his passes are to the flats and drag routes, most of his reads are 1-2 receivers.  I actually think Mariota might end up being worse at reading NFL defenses than Geno - and Geno is not good.

Jameis Winston is the best qb in this draft.  This idiots can drone on all day about him not being a nice guy the fact is there is no other qb in this draft that is even close when it comes to ability.

Games this guy has watched Mariota play, maybe one.

Archived