What happened to jets insider : MERGED

flgreen

I have no first hand knowledge, so I am speculating. But when I spoke with them they said, "it is in your best interest to partner with us. We will build your site up and then you can sell it in 3 years for much more than it is worth now".  They guesstimated that they would triple us in size. As a point of reference we had over a million plus page views and 150,000 visits in the past 30 days (in the offseason). So I was very skeptical that they could triple that.

I did have the impression that there was money to be had, even on a partnership deal. I think that is what they took (partnership maybe for two years, but I am guessing). They offered to fly to meet me, so they obviously had a budget. I never signed the NDA so we didn't get to speak about money.  I saw all of their revenue splits and wasn't impressed.

So glad I didn't sign the NDA, I like being able to speak about this stuff freely. :)

I do a lot of M and A work and have seen all types of deals. I have never seen a deal where the buyer (s) product fell to Shlt  the way they let JI fall.

I have not posted in scout in weeks and dont plan on going back.  Its simply awful.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there's a board left for Rah Rah.

Rah Rah and his followers would ruin every intelligent discussion on JI. 

That Sell out Sooth selling JI could not have worked out better. Guys like Rah Rah went to Scout. The Hampur types followed Ragu which isolated this place for mostly football talk. 

• Upvote 1

question is: Does he care?

if you spent 10 plus years working on something i would hope you would care.  maybe it just got to be too much and not financial rewarding.

i know i would be very disappointed in the turn out - even if i was selling out.  i would want it to continue and work.

• Upvote 1

I do a lot of M and A work and have seen all types of deals. I have never seen a deal where the buyer (s) product fell to Shlt  the way they let JI fall.

I have not posted in scout in weeks and dont plan on going back.  Its simply awful.

it's just terrible.  and it was bad decision to think they were going to make it better.   hard to change the message board IT that quickly.

I totally agree. I know venture capitalists. I am not an expert in this area but I know some of the questions they ask, the things they look for etc. With Scout it was different because they weren't asking any earnings questions. They didn't care, rightfully so, about current earnings or expenses.  They eliminate all the sites expenses by providing the software and the servers (hosting). I say it all the time but for us that would save about $600 per month.

No doubt with an in-house ad sales team they can get you a higher CPM than what sites like this get on their own. There is no doubt they can do this.  But for it to be worth while, they have to keep your traffic. Never mind increasing it, they have to keep at least what you have.

Somehow they managed to let the floor fall out completely.  The few month waiting period and a promise of an upgraded beta version was the KO. They told me there was 35 marketing people to run your social media and email campaigns and there were two programmers. For hundreds of sites.

And with the head of marketing leaving after a few months, that can't be a sign that things are going well for that organization.

You obviously made the right choice, though it would kill me to not know the offer.

The fact they want it kept hush-hush means it must be low and they're afraid it will scare away future recruits if word spread.

Either that or they wanna keep each offer unique so you can't compare your offer to what others got.

I wonder if tripling your size means from where it is currently or after they first reduce it down to jurassic numbers like where JI is now.

LOL on tripling after they reduce you.  

I know I am a broken record posting the same stuff all the time, but honestly I wasn't tempted. It was one of those moments, sitting in that conference room, where I actually had like an out of body experience. Running sites like this is a lot of work. But my wife was going through chemo at the time (she has since been declared cancer free!) but it really hit home how much this site, how much this community means to me.

As they were talking I thought, what would my life be like without this site? Like I just go home from work and watch TV? LOL - the thought scared the hell out of me.

So I knew then that the money didn't matter.  Now if they were going to offer a million dollars that would be another story, haha. I just felt like even if they offered $70,000 which I highly doubt it was that high for a partnership...that it wouldn't be worth it.  To take 10 years of work, everyone's work and just dump it with all the posts here. That just made no sense.

another convert from JI.  not a big poster but big lurker. 

i can't imagine Sooth thought the transition would be this bad.  i think he expected some drop off.  but JI went from one of the best (along with this site) to basically nothing in the matter of months.  really sucks for him.

Thank you for converting!

LOL on tripling after they reduce you.  

I know I am a broken record posting the same stuff all the time, but honestly I wasn't tempted. It was one of those moments, sitting in that conference room, where I actually had like an out of body experience. Running sites like this is a lot of work. But my wife was going through chemo at the time (she has since been declared cancer free!) but it really hit home how much this site, how much this community means to me.

As they were talking I thought, what would my life be like without this site? Like I just go home from work and watch TV? LOL - the thought scared the hell out of me.

So I knew then that the money didn't matter.  Now if they were going to offer a million dollars that would be another story, haha. I just felt like even if they offered $70,000 which I highly doubt it was that high for a partnership...that it wouldn't be worth it.  To take 10 years of work, everyone's work and just dump it with all the posts here. That just made no sense.

That's the whole difference right there. You're an active participant, you value this place, you care about the quality and it shows.

Sooth lost interest a long time ago. It's very possible he's glad to lose everyone and start fresh with new members at Scout. 

BTW, glad your wife's chemo was successful.

My cousin's wife - a vegetarian health nut - found out she had liver cancer out of the blue and was gone 10 months later at age 49. It really sucks.

• Upvote 1

First off glad to hear your wife's cancer free!

Secondly I'd like to thank you for running a great message board for us Jets fans. When I first heard JI was moving to Scout and I checked it out I was really disappointed. I was at JI 6 years, and while I did post, I wasn't the most active poster....I did go to the site via Tapatalk everyday (multiple times a day) whenever I had the chance to get caught up on Jets news and discussions.

So needless to say I was going to miss the site, but coming here has been a smooth transition. In fact I enjoy JN just as much....probably more than I did JI recently. You have a lot of good posters that contribute to good discussions.....and since I've signed up I have at the least lurked everyday and plan on making this my main site for years to come.

Here's to a successful 2015 NY Jets off season and then season at JN!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2