Newsday: Players want Rex to Come Back

AFJF

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Rex Ryan faces an uncertain future as his 2-8 Jets play out the season with no realistic hope of a playoff berth. But as team owner Woody Johnson mulls Ryan's fate during what could be the final six games of his six-year run with the Jets, at least one factor might convince the owner to give the coach one more chance.

Despite a fourth straight year without a playoff berth, Ryan has not lost the locker room. In fact, there might not be a single player in that room who wants to see Ryan gone. And although it's not unusual for players on losing teams to support an embattled coach, the passion and loyalty that players show in talking about Ryan seems genuine.

They hope that counts for something when it comes to deciding Ryan's future. The players' message to management: Keep the coach.

"Yeah, I want him back,'' defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson said. "Why wouldn't I want the coach who brought me in to come back?''

But with the Jets going nowhere this season, wouldn't retaining Ryan lead to questions about the team's ability to turn things around?

"Yeah? And somebody else comes in here [next year] and goes 2-8, then what?'' Richardson asked rhetorically. "If you want to let him build this team, then let him build this team. He still has this locker room.''

ADVERTISEMENT | ADVERTISE ON NEWSDAY

The reason Ryan still has command of the room: his unflagging confidence and a magnetic personality that shines through despite the record. Ryan even talked a little smack Thursday, boasting that the Jets are a lot better now than they were when they last played the Bills in a 43-23 loss on Oct. 26.

"Let's see where we're at now,'' he said of the impending matchup against the Bills, which will be played in Detroit Monday night because of heavy snow in Buffalo. "Let's see how much better we are, because we think we're a lot better. And we'll need to be. But the proof will be in the pudding. We know we're a lot better football team than the last time we played them.''

It's that kind of confidence, even with seemingly nothing left to play for, that keeps the players loyal to Ryan.

"Rex is a great coach, and I definitely want him back,'' tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson said. "He's always been a very passionate coach and we all enjoy playing for him. The record isn't what we want it to be, but it doesn't mean we can't continue to strive to do the things that we know to be right. You look around this locker room and you've got guys that enjoy playing with each other.''

"This year isn't what we had hoped for from a record standpoint, but I don't think it changes the quality of coach or the quality of people that we have in this room.''

Demario Davis said the fact the Jets have had almost no internal bickering this season is a testament to Ryan's leadership.

"That's rare,'' the linebacker said. "You don't see that, especially in a place like New York, with the media the way it is. For us to face this adversity, to have such high expectations and we blow those expectations, it could have gone a lot of different ways. But the reason we stayed together talks about his leadership, and it says a lot about him.''

And about keeping Ryan next year? "I can't see myself playing for another coach,'' Davis said. "Rex is a great defensive mind and just a great coach in general. Players love him. The only thing you can ask for out of a head coach is that he creates a system that everybody buys into and that people go out and play for him . . . I feel like he's built a foundation for a winning organization. Sometimes you just have to give it time to let it fall into place. You have to give it time to jell together. I'm as loyal to him as I am to my teammates, but even more so to him, just because I really believe in what he's doing.''

Still no definitive word on Ryan's future, but if he returns, it will be endorsed by his entire locker room. Although he deserves his share of the blame for 2-8, there's something to be said for the unanimous support he still enjoys among the players. It's something Johnson can't ignore as he ponders his options.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course they do, it's Club Med under Rex where everyone is complemented no matter how poorly they play and there are never any consequences or discipline. What's not to love?

I still won't believe Rex will be fired until I see it. I think we can finish the season 2-14 and still see him extended. Nothing would surprise me.

This won't generate any new discussion, but I was interested in who the quotes came from.  A couple weeks ago somebody said that we never hear from Brick or Mangold because they wouldn't condone Rex returning.  We've also heard comments about how Davis, the leader, was muzzled by Rex and probably wants him gone.  

Of course they do, it's Club Med under Rex where everyone is complemented no matter how poorly they play and there are never any consequences or discipline. What's not to love?

I still won't believe Rex will be fired until I see it. I think we can finish the season 2-14 and still see him extended. Nothing would surprise me.

You may be 100% right.  It could be that the locker room is 53 guys who just want to lounge around and pick up a check.  Davis however, strikes me as a hard working young player with a lot of ambition.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Rex Ryan faces an uncertain future as his 2-8 Jets play out the season with no realistic hope of a playoff berth. But as team owner Woody Johnson mulls Ryan's fate during what could be the final six games of his six-year run with the Jets, at least one factor might convince the owner to give the coach one more chance.

Despite a fourth straight year without a playoff berth, Ryan has not lost the locker room. In fact, there might not be a single player in that room who wants to see Ryan gone. And although it's not unusual for players on losing teams to support an embattled coach, the passion and loyalty that players show in talking about Ryan seems genuine.

Latest columns

They hope that counts for something when it comes to deciding Ryan's future. The players' message to management: Keep the coach.

"Yeah, I want him back,'' defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson said. "Why wouldn't I want the coach who brought me in to come back?''

But with the Jets going nowhere this season, wouldn't retaining Ryan lead to questions about the team's ability to turn things around?

JetsRex Ryan's top quotesimage.JPG

"Yeah? And somebody else comes in here [next year] and goes 2-8, then what?'' Richardson asked rhetorically. "If you want to let him build this team, then let him build this team. He still has this locker room.''

ADVERTISEMENT | ADVERTISE ON NEWSDAY

The reason Ryan still has command of the room: his unflagging confidence and a magnetic personality that shines through despite the record. Ryan even talked a little smack Thursday, boasting that the Jets are a lot better now than they were when they last played the Bills in a 43-23 loss on Oct. 26.

"Let's see where we're at now,'' he said of the impending matchup against the Bills, which will be played in Detroit Monday night because of heavy snow in Buffalo. "Let's see how much better we are, because we think we're a lot better. And we'll need to be. But the proof will be in the pudding. We know we're a lot better football team than the last time we played them.''

It's that kind of confidence, even with seemingly nothing left to play for, that keeps the players loyal to Ryan.

"Rex is a great coach, and I definitely want him back,'' tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson said. "He's always been a very passionate coach and we all enjoy playing for him. The record isn't what we want it to be, but it doesn't mean we can't continue to strive to do the things that we know to be right. You look around this locker room and you've got guys that enjoy playing with each other.''

JetsRex Ryan's hits and missesimage.JPG

"This year isn't what we had hoped for from a record standpoint, but I don't think it changes the quality of coach or the quality of people that we have in this room.''

Demario Davis said the fact the Jets have had almost no internal bickering this season is a testament to Ryan's leadership.

"That's rare,'' the linebacker said. "You don't see that, especially in a place like New York, with the media the way it is. For us to face this adversity, to have such high expectations and we blow those expectations, it could have gone a lot of different ways. But the reason we stayed together talks about his leadership, and it says a lot about him.''

And about keeping Ryan next year? "I can't see myself playing for another coach,'' Davis said. "Rex is a great defensive mind and just a great coach in general. Players love him. The only thing you can ask for out of a head coach is that he creates a system that everybody buys into and that people go out and play for him . . . I feel like he's built a foundation for a winning organization. Sometimes you just have to give it time to let it fall into place. You have to give it time to jell together. I'm as loyal to him as I am to my teammates, but even more so to him, just because I really believe in what he's doing.''

Still no definitive word on Ryan's future, but if he returns, it will be endorsed by his entire locker room. Although he deserves his share of the blame for 2-8, there's something to be said for the unanimous support he still enjoys among the players. It's something Johnson can't ignore as he ponders his options.

Sky is blue! Tell me something I don't know.

Who cares what the players want. They are merely the sad pawns in this behemoth of a $ printing racket that is the NFL.

Players wanting Rex to stay as HC is like if you asked elementary school kids if they preferred to keep the substitute teacher over the regular stern teacher.

If you want the Jets to win as a franchise, you don't heed to the players' wishes; they are at the bottom of the totem poll in callingFront Office Managerial shots

Also the fact that Demario Davis defends Rex after Rex completely threw Davis under the bus earlier in the year (Davis: team doesn't prepare enough, Rex: Davis is wrong) indicates the lack of hierarchy, consistency, & discretion between the HC and his team.

Time to move on from the RExperiment

Of course they do. The Jets are really Dunder Mifflin, and Rex is Michael Scott. Who wouldn't want him around. It beats working.

Yeah, look at the effort they put forth in their most recent game...they definitely took the day off.

That's all that Woody needs is one of Rex's butt boys saying something like this in the press and the Jets to win another 3 games and we'll all scratching our heads as frat boy just keeps the status quo and both Ryan and idzik are back for 2015 and we draft the best defensive end/LBer on the board. Johnson is just plain lazy, he doesn't want to have to do anything. We have THE worst owner in the NFL

There has to be some way to force the Johnson family to sell the Jets-that's our only hope. How do the Dolans look now guys?

Also the fact that Demario Davis defends Rex after Rex completely threw Davis under the bus earlier in the year (Davis: team doesn't prepare enough, Rex: Davis is wrong) indicates the lack of hierarchy, consistency, & discretion between the HC and his team.

Time to move on from the RExperiment

Yeah, like all those times we saw Parcells and Simms screaming at each other on the sideline for the whole world to see and showed a total lack heirarchy.  Who was in charge?  The coach or the QB?  It was so obvious that it was never going to work.

The Jets are 2-8, lost 8 straight games, have been outscored by 91 pts to date, and are in the top 5 in the league in penalties.Rex is doing a great job.

That's a completely different conversation. I was referring to the part of the statement that implied his players were taking it easy.  That's false.

That's all that Woody needs is one of Rex's butt boys saying something like this in the press and the Jets to win another 3 games and we'll all scratching our heads as frat boy just keeps the status quo and both Ryan and idzik are back for 2015 and we draft the best defensive end/LBer on the board. Johnson is just plain lazy, he doesn't want to have to do anything. We have THE worst owner in the NFL

There has to be some way to force the Johnson family to sell the Jets-that's our only hope. How do the Dolans look now guys?

You are getting too ornery in your old age. Go strum up some Comfortably Numb and relax.

Woody has a net worth of $3.5 billion. He has made $1.0 billion on the Jets since he bought the team.

Would you want Idzik and Rex running your $1 billion investment?

That's the problem with the Jets.

The Jets are 2-8, lost 8 straight games, have been outscored by 91 pts to date, and are in the top 5 in the league in penalties.Rex is doing a great job.

The record, yes. Being outscored by 91 points yes. But choosing penalties to show the ineptitude of Rex is ridiculous. The top 3 teams in penalties this year are Denver, New England and Seattle in that order. Three top teams in the NFL. Geno was a mistake, Idzik was trigger shy, and our first 8 games were against some of the best teams in the NFL. That is why we are 2-8. Not to mention we almost won 6 out of those 8 games. I know almost doesn't count but lets be honest. With our secondary in a passing league and our lack of talent at the wide receiver position and QB position its pretty obvious this roster has a ways to go. This team isn't 2-8 because Rex is lackadaisical in his approach or because he is a bad coach. We are bad because our players are bad. We have a bad QB, bad corners, and until a few weeks ago bad WRs. This board needs some perspective. I think most coaches are pretty well suited to run a team however there are a few must haves. Its about talent evaluation, free agent moves, or lack there of both. If he gets fired, which he probably will, I wouldn't mind so much. Maybe we can bring in an offensive guy. If he stays, I also wouldn't mind. The best coach I ever had when I played led my team to a 12-0 season and it was because we loved playing for him AND we had talent. 

Archived