IF YOU HAD TO PICK BETWEEN THE TWO

Ken Schroy

Keep Rex fire iDZIK hire a GM that is hungry to win get a real OC and QBs coach draft ALOT better and figure out the QB situation

Was that NOT the argument made and thus the reason for Morhinwig & supposed QB Coach guru David Lee were brought in for 2013. The savvy veteran QB insurance policy was brought in for 2014.

So what else does Rex "NEED" in order to be successful? How many handicaps does a NFL coach get?

Steve Biscotti must be laughing his @$$ off for not hiring the beloved Rex in 2008 as HC and rightly selecting ST coach Harbaugh to right his ship.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the only logical course of action has to be woody steps in, fires idzik, conducts a thorough GM search like a grown up without using a search firm but instead relying on the advice of trusted football men and then gives that GM total control including hiring/firing the HC

so in other words woody will fire idzik and make the next GM keep rex, lololololol

Question for the new dudes: how do we know Idzik's draft picks suck if they're playing for a coach who has never found a way to develop players outside of the defensive line? What if Rex's country club philosophies and inflexible schemes on both offense and defense have created an environment wherein players simply aren't motivated to, nor are they put in position to, succeed? What if its not all the students who are bad, but the teacher?

Question for the new dudes: how do we know Idzik's draft picks suck if they're playing for a coach who has never found a way to develop players outside of the defensive line? What if Rex's country club philosophies and inflexible schemes on both offense and defense have created an environment wherein players simply aren't motivated to, nor are they put in position to, succeed? What if its not all the students who are bad, but the teacher?

Are you just using the stupid, hypothetical question thread to ask stupid, hypothetical questions?

Check out my cool theory on why Idzik doesn't suck, you guys!

C'mon man, I'm the first person to acknowledge that Rex is an incompetent buffoon and a cancer to this franchise, but virtually everyone knew that most of these picks were laughable reaches at the time they were made. You don't pick guys like Dexter McDougle and Jalen Saunders in the 3rd and 4th rounds, when they would've been available in the 6th and 7th.

That still doesn't change the fact that Rex should be the first person out the door though.

It's a logical question. Rex is a plague, and also more than half of Idzik's picks haven't been in the nfl for more than a year. #busts.

When Idzik is back, i do think he'll be on a short leash

C'mon man, I'm the first person to acknowledge that Rex is an incompetent buffoon and a cancer to this franchise, but virtually everyone knew that most of these picks were laughable reaches at the time they were made. You don't pick guys like Dexter McDougle and Jalen Saunders in the 3rd and 4th rounds, when they would've been available in the 6th and 7th.

That still doesn't change the fact that Rex should be the first person out the door though.

I just don't think that there's a GM out there that could make Rex look competent, which isn't even a pro-Idzik thing at all, just a testament to how much Rex sucks with young players.

Rex is gone. Can't stand him. Idzik stays but is on a short leash. This offseason he really needs to kill it, if he wants to stay.

What coach worth anything is going to risk his career working for a GM who could be fired after one season?

If we keep Rex and fire Idzik, we're severely limiting our candidates for GM.

If we keep Idzik and fire Rex, we're severely limiting our candidates for head coach.

If Woody wants to fire one, he has to fire both.

What coach worth anything is going to risk his career working for a GM who could be fired after one season?

If we keep Idzik and fire Rex, we're severely limiting our candidates for head coach.

A young one? Idk. Hard to tell. 

So figure this is pretty much Idzik's first year, since he was limited all last year. Had a solid draft last year. I mean, if Milliner could stay on the field I'd say now that Aboushi is looking pretty good, pretty successful draft overall (minus effing geno). This past draft, not looking so great, but what, because of one bad draft he's done? Could still pan out. Let's think of this logically, unless you really believed that we were going somewhere this year (somewhere meaning possible SB contenders), what does this season matter? I'll be honest, I thought we'd be 9-7, 10-6 because I'm an optimistic idiot Jet fan but I obviously knew we weren't going to the SB or anywhere close. Obviously this season matters but when you have woody johnson saying you cant fire Rex, even though that may have been Idizk's plan all along, why would you go out of your way to spend all of your money, to almost cripple yourself in the future? really makes no sense. We've been in almost every game we've played in this year. Next year, with a different coach, a few FA signings, a new draft class, another year experience with all the young guys we have, we'll be pretty good. And that is because of Idzik. I think if you give any GM a job next year, this team will be good. We'll have depth and be in a favorable cap situation. What more can you ask for, I think if there's a good candidate HC out there, he'd look at the situation like this rather than the Jalen Saunders pick. 

Keep Idzik.

Watching the debates around which HOF candidate coaches should be inducted, most of the convo was about which coach was a better architect of the roster. We already know Rex is a bad in head coach, despite being well liked, but his influence on the roster over the last 6 years has been unforgivable. At least with a better coach in place, it might positively impact the work Idzik does for us.

A young one? Idk. Hard to tell.

So figure this is pretty much Idzik's first year, since he was limited all last year. Had a solid draft last year. I mean, if Milliner could stay on the field I'd say now that Aboushi is looking pretty good, pretty successful draft overall (minus effing geno). This past draft, not looking so great, but what, because of one bad draft he's done? Could still pan out. Let's think of this logically, unless you really believed that we were going somewhere this year (somewhere meaning possible SB contenders), what does this season matter? I'll be honest, I thought we'd be 9-7, 10-6 because I'm an optimistic idiot Jet fan but I obviously knew we weren't going to the SB or anywhere close. Obviously this season matters but when you have woody johnson saying you cant fire Rex, even though that may have been Idizk's plan all along, why would you go out of your way to spend all of your money, to almost cripple yourself in the future? really makes no sense. We've been in almost every game we've played in this year. Next year, with a different coach, a few FA signings, a new draft class, another year experience with all the young guys we have, we'll be pretty good. And that is because of Idzik. I think if you give any GM a job next year, this team will be good. We'll have depth and be in a favorable cap situation. What more can you ask for, I think if there's a good candidate HC out there, he'd look at the situation like this rather than the Jalen Saunders pick.

Imagine you're a young coordinator. You get two interviews set up for head coaching gigs. One is with a team who just hired a new GM, and the other is with the Jets, with John Idzik on the hot seat. Both give you similar offers to join them.

This could be your one shot at a head coaching job. Are you going to risk it by going with Idzik, who may be replaced in a year by someone who wants their own coach, or will you go with the new GM that you know is going to get three years to implement his plan for the team?

THAT is the issue with keeping Idzik. If he's retained then Woody will have to commit to him for a few years in order to attract top coaching talent, and prevent the situation I described above. Based on what we've seen so far, are you willing to give Idzik three more years?

The only way Woody can give him one year to prove his worth is likely with this coaching staff retained as well.

Imagine you're a young coordinator. You get two interviews set up for head coaching gigs. One is with a team who just hired a new GM, and the other is with the Jets, with John Idzik on the hot seat. Both give you similar offers to join them.

This could be your one shot at a head coaching job. Are you going to risk it by going with Idzik, who may be replaced in a year by someone who wants their own coach, or will you go with the new GM that you know is going to get three years to implement his plan for the team?

THAT is the issue with keeping Idzik. If he's retained then Woody will have to commit to him for a few years in order to attract top coaching talent, and prevent the situation I described above. Based on what we've seen so far, are you willing to give Idzik three more years?

The only way Woody can give him one year to prove his worth is likely with this coaching staff retained as well.

I agree, but it's clear that we're not as lost as our record says we are. If it was up to me I wouldn't even consider Idzik being on the hot seat, but I'm a realist and I realize that Woody likes money and might actually listen to the majority of fans on this issue. If I wasn't a jet fan I would never want to work for the Jets while they're owned by Woody. For the most part I agree, I just believe Idzik doesn't really deserve to be fired just yet. 

I agree, but it's clear that we're not as lost as our record says we are. If it was up to me I wouldn't even consider Idzik being on the hot seat, but I'm a realist and I realize that Woody likes money and might actually listen to the majority of fans on this issue. If I wasn't a jet fan I would never want to work for the Jets while they're owned by Woody. For the most part I agree, I just believe Idzik doesn't really deserve to be fired just yet.

I'm not entirely sure that this is clear.

IMHO, Idzik simply isn't qualified to be a GM. The Jets have an unqualified GM because keeping Rex was part of the deal last time, and better candidates chose not to even interview. I agree with sourceworx's posts in this thread. Keeping either one of these guys results in getting lesser candidates at the other position. Keeping an unqualified GM just so he can select from a lesser pool of head coaching candidates is a recipe for disaster.

It may be unfair to Idzik. I understand that point of view. But the Jets need to do what's best for the team, and that's cleaning house.

Basically agree with this, my only change would be, Woody to only fire Idzik, let the new GM decide, on his own if he wants to fire Rex or not. Who knows he might want to keep him.

New GM should be a football guy, scouting back ground, with total control over football operations

Basically agree with this, my only change would be, Woody to only fire Idzik, let the new GM decide, on his own if he wants to fire Rex or not. Who knows he might want to keep him.

New GM should be a football guy, scouting back ground, with total control over football operations

Two years ago, I'd have agreed with you on letting the new GM decide on keeping Rex. Now I think it's time to move on.

Clean house. There's some coaching candidates that I'm really warming up to.

Two years ago, I'd have agreed with you on letting the new GM decide on keeping Rex. Now I think it's time to move on.

Clean house. There's some coaching candidates that I'm really warming up to.

I'm not arguing the point that Rex's time here should be done, I'm just saying that if the new GM is going to be in charge, he should make all the football decisions. Maybe the guy loves Rex,why start off his relationship with the Jets by telling him, he can't keep Rex.

I think it's a very long shot that Rex is here next year, and rightfully so, just don't repeat the same mistake they made with Idzik, and tell him what he can, or can't do in the football realm.

Rex or Idzik? I am on board with moving on from both. I've enjoyed Rex at times but it's time to turn the page. But if you were only allowed to fire 1, which one would it be?

I would pick Idzik, because he does look clueless. I would hope that a new GM would be a take charge guy and not let Rex make picks like Boyd and Conner, etc. Both being fired would be better but that my choice if only one was going.

Idzik. He has only had two years, Rex has had 6. Its time..you would hope both get moved but if I could only have one...Rex would have to go. He is going to be a fantastic DC for someone.

LL

Rex has proven to be an excellent coach as a coordinator and a very good Head Coach when given an actual NFL caliber roster.  Idzik hasnt proven to be able to build an NFL caliber roster.  Idzik's teams have been some of the worst rosters the Jets have ever fielded.

Rex's coaching resume >>>> Idzik's GM resume.  There really isnt even a comparison, like at all.

This is the problem right now...some fans are so angry with Rex that they can't take a step back and acknowledge the fact that he has had a great deal of success when given the talent to do so.  Lots of coaches in this league have done less than Rex has managed to do and they've done it with a lot more talent.  Idzik has done close to nothing as a GM.  Rex has outperformed him by leaps and bounds.  I'm ready to move on from Rex, but as a lot of people have said, if he goes, Idzik should go.  If you're only going to keep one, why in the world who you keep the one who has accomplished  less? 

Archived