Marcus Mariota: "I would play my heart out for the Jets"

Patriot Killa

Last QB who I wanted that said this; Mark Sanchez

and let's face the facts guys, the Raiderz will lose every game left ON PURPOSE just so the Jets won't be able to get that QB, you know it, I know it, and every honest Raider fan knows it.

Raiders have Carr so unless they would want to trade a top pick we are not in competition with them

Last QB who I wanted that said this; Mark Sanchez

and let's face the facts guys, the Raiderz will lose every game left ON PURPOSE just so the Jets won't be able to get that QB, you know it, I know it, and every honest Raider fan knows it.

Raiders feel they have their QB of the future, I can not see them taking another. Now, they may use that pick to trade it for another QB starved team. Eagles?

Oregon star Marcus Mariota: ‘I’d play my heart out’ for the Jets

By Steve Serby

November 22, 2014 | 3:35pm

mariota4.jpg?w=720&h=480&crop=1
Oregon Ducks' Marcus Mariota Photo: Getty Images

Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota is on the other end of the line. I tell him the New York Jets need a quarterback, and I would like him to be their quarterback.

“That’s nice of you,” he says with a chuckle. “Thank you.”

I ask him how he would feel about playing in a market like New York.

“It’d be a great experience,” Mariota tells Serby Says. “I haven’t put much thought into it yet. I obviously haven’t decided if I’m gonna leave or go yet. I’m gonna take the time after the season to decide that, but it’d be a blessing.

“If the Jets want me there, I’d love to be there, and I’d play my heart out for them.”

Mariota, who grew up in Hawaii, may be visiting New York for the first time next month for the Heisman Trophy presentation. He is the favorite to win it.

“I might have gone when I was a little kid, but I don’t remember,” Mariota said.

They know about New York growing up in Hawaii, though.

“It’s big. Obviously I heard it’s a busy city, the people love their sports there, and they want their teams to do well,” Mariota said.

Mariota said he wouldn’t be obsessed with being the first overall pick in the draft.

“I would really just kinda be very happy with whatever team decided to pick me,” he said. “I’d be very honored and very blessed to have that opportunity. It’ll be a dream come true, and it doesn’t really matter where I get picked up.”

He is too good to be true off the field, and reluctant to provide a Marcus Mariota scouting report on the field.

“I guess somebody that can throw and run,” he said. “For me, that’s kind of an odd question, I don’t really like talking about myself.”

OK, talk about the quarterbacks you liked growing up.

“I love watching Michael Vick,” Mariota said. “He’s such an exciting player to watch. I like watching Aaron Rodgers now. I think the way he’s able to throw the ball downfield is pretty unreal, and how he’s able to kind of simplify defenses and find the right places to throw the ball. Those are two quarterbacks that I really hope to emulate in some sense.”

Mariota is confident he can be someone’s franchise quarterback.

I’m very competitive, it doesn’t matter what it is. Whether it’s playing cards or video games, I try to win at everything.

- Marcus Mariota

“I believe in my abilities to be able to accomplish that,” Mariota said.

He has been labeled as a system quarterback by some.

“That’s other people’s opinions,” Mariota said. “I’m not gonna let that affect how I play or how I play as an individual player. I’m just gonna continue to do what I feel is best for the team and find ways to win.”

He is a 6-foot-4, 219-pound gym rat with 4.43 speed who is a quick study.

“I think any quarterback can play in any system,” Mariota said. “It just takes time to learn it, but if you’re able to have the abilities to play the position, you’ll find ways to make an offense work and make whatever system that is work.”

Mariota is too nice to slam concerns by a few skeptics, who claim he is too nice to be a franchise quarterback.

“That’s other people’s opinions,” Mariota said. “I’m not gonna change who I am. All I can control is with the product out on the field, and I don’t plan on changing it.”

He shouldn’t. Just because you aren’t fiery on the outside doesn’t mean there isn’t a fire burning on the inside.

“I’m very competitive, it doesn’t matter what it is,” Mariota said. “Whether it’s playing cards or video games, I try to win at everything. I don’t really talk about it a lot. I just try to go about my business and do it.”

Here’s what Mariota hopes his teammates would say about his huddle presence: “That he’s a great teammate, and that he wants to win. He’ll do anything for his teammates, and he’ll do anything to win the game.”

His leadership style?

“I tend to put my arm around a guy and explain how I saw something, and maybe we could work on doing something better together,” Mariota said. “I’m not a guy that’s gonna get in your face and yell at you. At the same time, I’m kinda still learning as I go through this leadership process. There’s always different ways to lead, and you can find ways that best fit a guy. You kinda find out what works for certain players and what helps them become a better person, and a better player.”

Does he get angry in the huddle?

“Yeah, I guess … it depends on the situation. It’s not something that happens regularly, or often,” Mariota said. “You really can’t wear your emotions on your sleeve. I believe in that as a quarterback, because your teammates really feed off of your energy. If you’re kinda up and down like a roller coaster, your team’s gonna be that way. If you’re able to kinda keep a level head, and maintain your poise, in any situation, I think a team will respond in how you’re able to handle certain things.”

He loves big games.

“I love the challenge,” Mariota said. “I love the obstacles and the adversity. … I love playing in those types of atmospheres. There’s so much momentum swings, you constantly have to be on your A game.”

Mariota said he enjoys the pressure.

“I think it’s an opportunity to kind of really learn about yourself, and learn about how you handle things and grow as a person,” Mariota said.

He credits his current coaches for helping him improve his footwork.

“I’ve learned that if my body’s not in a good throwing position that I tend to miss throws and tend to be inaccurate,” Mariota said.

He has fond memories of former Ducks coach Chip Kelly, who now runs the show in Philadelphia.

“Playing in my first game, he came up to me and said, ‘Just do your thing, and don’t worry about what else happens,’” Mariota recalled. “As nervous as I was, for him to say that, it really calmed me down and allowed me to kind of play within myself.”

Mariota understands why the Eagles coach is a quarterback whisperer.

“He’s able to kinda mold and shape any type of offense into what works,” Mariota said. “I think he’s able to kinda find what best suits his players that he has and figures out ways to put ‘em in the best situation.”

He is the Heisman favorite.

“No disrespect for the Heisman Trophy or anything like that, [but] I learned a long time ago that individual awards don’t mean anything. It’s a team sport, and  without your teammates, you wouldn’t be where you’re at,” Mariota said.

Oh, by the way, Mariota has a 3.2 or 3.3 GPA and will be graduating next month with a general science major.

What’s it like being Marcus Mariota?

Modal Triggermariotta4.jpg?w=300

Mariota passes against the California Golden Bears in October.Photo: Getty Images

“It’s definitely a very awesome experience to be a part of this university, to be able to play football,” Mariota said. “It’s really just a lot of fun.”

Do you feel like a star?

“Not really,” Mariota said. “I don’t really think of myself that way. I’m just a collegiate athlete, playing for the University of Oregon.”

When NFL teams ask him about his recent speeding ticket — 80 in a 55-mph zone — he won’t make excuses.

“It was my responsibility … I was just driving back to Eugene, and I was driving too fast,” he said.

He won’t lie either when you ask him if it was his first speeding ticket.

“I’ve had another one here, my freshman year,” Mariota said.

Mariota said he doesn’t know much about the Jets, who will not Suck For Duck. He does, however, know of Joe Namath.

“Of course,” Mariota said. “Broadway Joe.”

I tell him that if it was up to me, he’ll be Broadway Marcus.

“Thank you for that,” he says with a laugh. “We’ll see.”

Tampa Bay will beat us out for Mariota and they won't have the guts to take Winston. Go FA for a QB and build the offensive line like Dallas did. Then you can run the ball and the QB becomes less of a priority. Still need one that doesn't turn it over, but he won't have to win it by himself. FA cornerback like Patrick Peterson is a MUST, as is drafting at least ONE wideout.

Tampa Bay will beat us out for Mariota and they won't have the guts to take Winston. Go FA for a QB and build the offensive line like Dallas did. Then you can run the ball and the QB becomes less of a priority. Still need one that doesn't turn it over, but he won't have to win it by himself. FA cornerback like Patrick Peterson is a MUST, as is drafting at least ONE wideout.

Idzik couldn't pick a booger from a nose

I think Tampa ends up with Winston. Makes to much sense for it not to happen. I see us as the most likely destination of Mariota. 

Fact; The Tampa Bay Bucs have NEVER drafted either a Gator or a Seminole QB-EVER.They have drafted two from Miami one was Craig Erickson in the 4th round in 1992 and Vinny the other Hurricane 5 years prior to that.

Fact; The Tampa Bay Bucs have NEVER drafted either a Gator or a Seminole QB-EVER.They have drafted two from Miami one was Craig Erickson in the 4th round in 1992 and Vinny the other Hurricane 5 years prior to that.

Ok, so what highly rated Gator/Seminole QB's did they pass on?

whatever we do for the love of God do not start a rookie QB week one next year. get a reclamation project like locker or a journeyman like orton and throw them to the wolves while the kid learns. we need a sacrificial lamb next year.

Archived