After getting outcoached, even Rex Ryan knows he’s a goner

Ken Schroy

http://nypost.com/2014/11/25/after-getting-outcoached-even-rex-ryan-knows-hes-a-goner/

DETROIT — Three hours before the kickoff for Monday night’s game between the Jets and Bills at Ford Field, in the quiet of a small office inside the Bills locker room, Buffalo head coach Doug Marrone sat in a chair and pondered what was about to take place.

“I honestly have no idea what to expect,’’ Marrone told The Post. “Usually, after a week of practice, I have an idea of how the game is going to go. But tonight, I really have no feel for it.’’

There was a hint of uneasiness in Marrone’s voice. All coaches, after all, are control freaks and none fancies going into a game not having at least a pretty good idea how his team is going to perform.

This brings us to the irony of Jets coach Rex Ryan, who sounded positively cocksure during the week leading up to the game that his players were ready to pounce on the Bills.

Ryan repeatedly spoke of the “bounce’’ in his players’ step in practice and went as far as to say that the team he was bringing to this game was “a zillion times better’’ than the one that was waxed 43-23 by the Bills a month ago at MetLife Stadium.

By night’s end, there were two results to this game:

• The Bills embarrassed the inept Jets 38-3 to drop them to 2-9.
  • And Marrone outcoached Ryan so thoroughly it was as if they were coaching in different leagues. This was Lombardi vs. Kotite.

The Bills were the team expected to struggle.

Not the Jets.

The Bills were the team whose players were unable to practice all last week, prisoners in their own homes for three days thanks to 6 feet of snow and a police-enforced travel ban.

Not the Jets.

The Bills figured to be the dead team, disoriented from their routine being sabotaged by Mother Nature.

Not the Jets.

That makes what took place Monday night utterly inexcusable and, at the very least, a precursor to Ryan’s demise. It’s difficult to imagine, after what took place Monday night that Ryan can possibly survive this and coach a seventh season with the Jets.

The look on his face and the words he spoke after the game were those of a man who knows his fate.

“I’m not worried about it,’’ Ryan insisted. “One thing I know, unless it changes drastically, I will be the head coach here for the next five weeks. That’s what I know and I’m going to go about my job like I always do.’’

Asked if he’s had any discussions with owner Woody Johnson or general manager John Idzik that would give him the impression he would not be fired before the end of the season, Ryan said, “No … I mean look, Woody Johnson hired me. We haven’t had any of those conversations. I’m just coaching. That’s all I can do.

“It’s never been about me; it’s about the team and that’s the way it’s going to be. I just know I’m going to be the coach here the next five weeks and my team’s going to get everything I’ve got.’’

Not to exonerate Ryan for this mess, but everything he’s got is not good enough with the deficient talent Idzik has provided him. Everyone in the league knows that.

But Ryan and his team were given every possible advantage as a result of that snowstorm that chased the Bills out of Buffalo, and they squandered it.

“I think that advantage was a little overrated,’’ Ryan said, in full spin cycle. “I get it, OK? People traveled and that kind of stuff. But you’re playing football. Guys are in shape. We certainly didn’t look at it like we were going to have an advantage … and didn’t appear that we, did it?’’

The Jets did nothing to help themselves. They couldn’t block, tackle or cover anyone. Then there were moments like in the middle of the second quarter with the score 7-3 Buffalo when Michael Vick was called for a delay of game penalty and then, before the next play, had to call a timeout.

This was middle-school stuff.

“Yeah,’’ Ryan later lamented. “The delay of game. We get a penalty and then we have to call timeout. That’s … that’s hard to explain.’’

So is the Jets’ steady and agonizing decline the last four seasons after the promise of those consecutive AFC Championship Game appearances in 2009 and 2010 — years that feel as far away as Joe Namath and 1969.

Rex can't win with the talent Idzik has provided. Okay. That's kind of the idiocy of dudes talking about sports in a nutshell. I know this is pedantic, but level one here is that the players need to play better. Plenty of sh*t can go sideways without necessarily reflecting a failure of human resources or operations management. Drafting the box with the live cat inside is no guarantee that it won't turn right around and wander into traffic. Because cats are ******* stupid.

Rex can't win with the talent Idzik has provided. Okay. That's kind of the idiocy of dudes talking about sports in a nutshell. I know this is pedantic, but level one here is that the players need to play better. Plenty of sh*t can go sideways without necessarily reflecting a failure of human resources or operations management. Drafting the box with the live cat inside is no guarantee that it won't turn right around and wander into traffic. Because cats are ******* stupid.

Word. It's hard to identify whether the players are that bad or the coaching is that bad. Maybe it's both. But we need to remove Rex to find out.

Archived