Rex knew all year that Idzik would fire him - And other Rex/Idzik Articles (merged)

Mogglez

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll agree with this, though I'd imagine Idzik suspected he'd have the option to dump Rex last offseason.

Idzik's major failure was keeping Rex.

If Iddy wanted to Fire rexey last yr and couldn't then he should have resigned

The Jets draft is one of the all time worst in NFL History ...12 picks with the deepest WR draft class in many yrs.

You could argue Skins  trading up to draft RGme or Ditka trading all of his picks for Ricky Williams is up there as well.

With benefit of hindsight, who were you screaming for as FA CB?

Oh man, I was on board with Dmitri Patterson who was far and away the best CB available.  Idzik has the midas touch and just can't miss.  Never felt so lucky to be a Jet fan.  Well, except for the part where I said he should keep Cro and sign Flowers who are two of the top rated CB's in the NFL.  Luckily though, we have John Idzik running this team and let's face it, the rest of the league is shaking in their boots.  Monday night is going to be incredible.  I say scrub the ceremony for Chrebet, and have one for Idzik instead.

Sources told The Post that, during the offseason, Ryan bumped into scouts and other coaches from around the league who told him Jets general manager John Idzik had been telling people his plan all along was to replace Ryan after the season and bring in his own head coach.

Sounds like something Idzik would do.

Oh man, I was on board with Dmitri Patterson who was far and away the best CB available.  Idzik has the midas touch and just can't miss.  Never felt so lucky to be a Jet fan.  Well, except for the part where I said he should keep Cro and sign Flowers who are two of the top rated CB's in the NFL.  Luckily though, we have John Idzik running this team and let's face it, the rest of the league is shaking in their boots.  Monday night is going to be incredible.  I say scrub the ceremony for Chrebet, and have one for Idzik instead.

If you said those things, good for you. Fact was, Cromartie was considered a "cancer" on this team, and a few of his teammates did not like the act.

I like how the article says Rex has kept his frustrations to himself right after quoting one of his confidants.  And credits Rex with success built by his predecessors.  If Rex were such a great HC, then why did the organization go into a steady decline once Rex got the HC job?  That's what happens when you let someone who doesn't know how to build a team have influence on personnel decisions.

As for why Idzik might have made the team suck this year, it's probably mostly for draft position.  Rex being gone would mainly be gravy imo.  If Idzik couldn't get rid of Rex regardless, then he's not really the GM and your main problem is Woody.

If you said those things, good for you. Fact was, Cromartie was considered a "cancer" on this team, and a few of his teammates did not like the act.

I'll be completely honest and say that I was okay with not signing Cromartie initially.  However, when the season was a few days away and I looked at what the Jets had, I was asking WTF they were thinking.  For the amount of cap space they had, what he signed for, and what we had on the roster, it was worth taking the gamble even if he was terrible.  They could have cut him with little to no impact.  They had ZERO at the CB position and I fully supported Idzik.  I figured, "hey, he's the guy with a job in the NFL, he must know way more than I do"...apparently not. 

Same with Flowers.  I realized that he didn't play great in Sutton's scheme last season, but with what they had on the roster I was all for bringing him in for a reasonable price (which he ended up signing for) and even if it's a different scheme that what the Jets run, he'd still be infinitely better than what we have.

I can't believe this guy is in charge of an NFL franchise.  Even if he goes out and builds a dynasty starting next year, what was the point of throwing this season away?

Maybe he would. It's the smart play and he's a smart guy. He saw what happened with Mangini. Cap space, health, regression to the mean, and a high draft pick are all gonna inure to whoever's in charge next year. Tricky part for Idzik is making sure that's him.

The plan, yes. Idzik running around bragging about his zany scheme to anyone who'll listen, not so much.

Maybe he would. It's the smart play and he's a smart guy. He saw what happened with Mangini. Cap space, health, regression to the mean, and a high draft pick are all gonna inure to whoever's in charge next year. Tricky part for Idzik is making sure that's him.

Do you really want to entrust Iddy on picking the next QB? picked the worst 3 wrs out of 15-18 choices. almost statistically impossible.

Also some quote the Seattle plan thru draft. really? Michael Bennett  Lynch  Harvin  Z miller Clemons all were trades or FA's. The other part of seattle plan is having CROWD NOISE.

I'll be completely honest and say that I was okay with not signing Cromartie initially.  However, when the season was a few days away and I looked at what the Jets had, I was asking WTF they were thinking.  For the amount of cap space they had, what he signed for, and what we had on the roster, it was worth taking the gamble even if he was terrible.  They could have cut him with little to no impact.  They had ZERO at the CB position and I fully supported Idzik.  I figured, "hey, he's the guy with a job in the NFL, he must know way more than I do"...apparently not. 

Same with Flowers.  I realized that he didn't play great in Sutton's scheme last season, but with what they had on the roster I was all for bringing him in for a reasonable price (which he ended up signing for) and even if it's a different scheme that what the Jets run, he'd still be infinitely better than what we have.

I can't believe this guy is in charge of an NFL franchise.  Even if he goes out and builds a dynasty starting next year, what was the point of throwing this season away?

So you viewed the move of keeping Cromartie AFTER Milliner and Patterson went down?

GM's don't get to operate that way

So you viewed the move of keeping Cromartie AFTER Milliner and Patterson went down?

GM's don't get to operate that way

No, before they went down, I was referring to the start of camp.  Honestly, either way, he's the paid "expert".  He had two guys who had proven nothing in the league.  A league that is build on being able to pass the ball.  Instead of retaining an established vet for a cheap price and who knew the system, it was mind boggling.  I just supported the guy and gave him way too much credit.  I figured he knew what he was doing and McDougle/Patterson/Dowling/Milliner would pan out.  Turns out he was dead wrong, and I was an idiot for assuming he knew what he was doing.

No, before they went down, I was referring to the start of camp.  Honestly, either way, he's the paid "expert".  He had two guys who had proven nothing in the league.  A league that is build on being able to pass the ball.  Instead of retaining an established vet for a cheap price and who knew the system, it was mind boggling.  I just supported the guy and gave him way too much credit.  I figured he knew what he was doing and McDougle/Patterson/Dowling/Milliner would pan out.  Turns out he was dead wrong, and I was an idiot for assuming he knew what he was doing.

Can't tell if you are talking about Idzik or Rex there.

I don't buy it prob wrecks trying to save face the AL east teams have been killing us the kast couple of years doug marrone just put up 80 something points on rex yeah i am sure he wants him gone.

if it is true I see it as a big FU to the owner idzick taking control and saying your not going to tell me how to run the team.

I don't buy it prob wrecks trying to save face the AL east teams have been killing us the kast couple of years doug marrone just put up 80 something points on rex yeah i am sure he wants him gone.

if it is true I see it as a big FU to the owner idzick taking control and saying your not going to tell me how to run the team.

Damn, Yankees and Redsox are now piling on Rex

Rex's media army out in full force, he's been the one leaking to the media the whole time..threw petitne under the bus for that one too..this inept , clown bafoon can't get outtve town fast enough.

Never forget that Rex once said that he could make a player out of Gholston.  That he believed he could be an NFL player.  

Also that while DC at Baltimore, he was really high on Gand would have drafted him.  But guess what?  Rex lied, like he always does.  Here's a quote from Rex' book about Gholston.

Ryan also manages to tweak Vernon Gholston, the draft bust who was released after three disappointing seasons. Ryan was a Baltimore Ravens assistant when the Jets drafted Gholtson, but he says he warned then-coach Eric Mangini not to select him.

NFL Draft 2011

nfl_g_draft11_203.jpg

How did the Jets and Giants fare in the

NFL draft? We'll break it down for you:

Jets Center » | Giants Center »

"Truth be told, I didn't like the kid coming out of college," says Ryan, claiming he did his best to coach Gholston once he came to the Jets in 2009. "He's a good athlete and a smart guy, but I thought he was a phony."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=6432554&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Face it Rex fans, the guy is a fraud.

Never forget that Rex once said that he could make a player out of Gholston.  That he believed he could be an NFL player.  

Also that while DC at Baltimore, he was really high on Gand would have drafted him.  But guess what?  Rex lied, like he always does.  Here's a quote from Rex' book about Gholston.

Ryan also manages to tweak Vernon Gholston, the draft bust who was released after three disappointing seasons. Ryan was a Baltimore Ravens assistant when the Jets drafted Gholtson, but he says he warned then-coach Eric Mangini not to select him.

NFL Draft 2011

nfl_g_draft11_203.jpg

How did the Jets and Giants fare in the

NFL draft? We'll break it down for you:

Jets Center » | Giants Center »

"Truth be told, I didn't like the kid coming out of college," says Ryan, claiming he did his best to coach Gholston once he came to the Jets in 2009. "He's a good athlete and a smart guy, but I thought he was a phony."

Face it Rex fans, the guy is a fraud.

I think that what he said about Gholston was "If I can't make him a player then nobody can" or something along those lines. 

Serious with this?  He's a liar because he talked a guy up and tried to show a little faith in him to boost his confidence?  No different than  a parent telling their kid that the pile of sticks and glue that they brought home from school is a beautiful piece of art.

I think that what he said about Gholston was "If I can't make him a player then nobody can" or something along those lines.  He also didn't like the guy and told Mangini not to draft him, but Mangini was a genius.

That's not what Rex said in the media.  I recall him saying that he would have drafted him.

Archived