Rex knew all year that Idzik would fire him - And other Rex/Idzik Articles (merged)

Mogglez

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course Rex is more upset with not getting corners for "his" defense rather than the asonishing failure at qb and drafting a WR this year. They are both problems but the defense is all he cares about because that's the part of his resume that's important for next season

But what Rex wants is no longer good for this franchise, and hasn't been for a while.  That's why we supposedly brought in a GM who could be the adult in the room and get us a new and improved roster.

rex can coach as long as they are seasoned veterans then his style works good but as a coach you need to develop players and that is where he fails esp on the offense side.

I am not sure on Idzik. 

But I have been sure about Rex's incompetence for 3 seasons now. 

Cool...you're entitled to your opinion.  I'd disagree based only on the fact that I've never seen a GM do a worse job than Idzik has, and with it looking more and more like he was willing to tank an entire season to get his way just rubs salt in the wound.  As I said, if there was no intention to win, why not just fire Rex and let the new guy kick the tires on the players on the roster?  Now we get to do that next year with Idzik possibly owning  a top two or three pick.  A completely wasted season for no good reason.  Even if you feel like firing Rex is the good reason, he should've done it last year.

Not a "normal" thing to do in firing a second year GM, but with all that's being said about Idzik by former players, analysts, current GM's, I wouldn't be shocked or sad if he got the boot.

Cool...you're entitled to your opinion. I'd disagree based only on the fact that I've never seen a GM do a worse job than Idzik has, and with it looking more and more like he was willing to tank an entire season to get his way just rubs salt in the wound. As I said, if there was no intention to win, why not just fire Rex and let the new guy kick the tires on the players on the roster? Now we get to do that next year with Idzik possibly owning a top two or three pick. A completely wasted season for no good reason. Even if you feel like firing Rex is the good reason, he should've done it last year.

Not a "normal" thing to do in firing a second year GM, but with all that's being said about Idzik by former players, analysts, current GM's, I wouldn't be shocked or sad if he got the boot.

What's Idzik's job? Take me through an average day.

I've been following this team for over 40 years and I've never rooted for them to lose the rest of their games in a season, not even in Kotites last year. I may just have to do so this year and not because of draft position - just so it will basically force Woody to fire the incompetent Idz. This guy is pure garbage, plain and simple. Only adult in the room? LMFAO!

What's Idzik's job? Take me through an average day.

Do you honestly not know what a GM is supposed to do?  I don't do the whole make believe and pretend to know the inner workings of an organization all while being able to put together a better defensive game plan to stop Tom Brady than Rex Ryan can, but to each his own.

Here, let me allow Idzik to tell you himself from his disaster of a PC:

"I'm the General Manager of the New York Jets.  I am responsible for the football operations of the New York Jets.  Ultimately, I'm responsible for the performance of our team, the product that we put on the field.  That lies with me.  The buck stops here".

I was referring mostly to the "Product we put on the field" portion when I implied it was his job to acquire talented players.  Am I wrong in saying it's his job to acquire good football players?

Apparently, invent ways to make the team look bad, just because. Or that is what some people will have you believe

I don't know which one is worse honestly.  If he created this mess on purpose, at least there's a chance he knows how to evaluate and acquire talent when he wants to.  If these are the results he's getting when he puts his best foot forward, we're screwed.

rex can coach as long as they are seasoned veterans then his style works good but as a coach you need to develop players and that is where he fails esp on the offense side.

DING DING DING!!!!

Correct. Other than Sione Pouha - who was absolute garbage 5yr Vet @NG until Rex arrived - who else has developed under his tenure????

Kyle Wilson? Coples? Josh Bush? Gholston? Kenrick Ellis? Mo? Ducasse? Either McKnight.

Rex is a good guy, but he's a $hit coach & ATROCIOUS developer of players DRAFTED under his tenure.

I won't even comment on developing the '14 draft.

As much as Idzik deserves to be fired for his inability to draft, I don't buy this story for a minute. For all his faults, does Idzik strike anyone as the type of guy who would go around bragging to random scouts about his "plot" to fire and replace Rex? This just reeks of the type of BS some Rex loyalist fed to a sympathetic beat writer in order to take the spotlight off Rex and his incompetence as a HC, especially in the wake of the embarrassment in Detroit.

Regardless, this all comes back to Woody and his mandate that the new GM be forced to inherit Rex. You have different agendas and loyalties and nobody is on the same page. THIS is the crux of our dysfunction as a team.

At this point, the only rational move is to clean house entirely, hire a strong GM with a background in personnel like a Tom Gamble or an Eliot Wolf, give him full control, and let him bring on his own scouting department/front office people and HC.

As much as Idzik deserves to be fired for his inability to draft, I don't buy this story for a minute. For all his faults, does Idzik strike anyone as the type of guy who would go around bragging to random scouts about his "plot" to fire and replace Rex? This just reeks of the type of BS some Rex loyalist fed to a sympathetic beat writer in order to take the spotlight off Rex and his incompetence as a HC, especially in the wake of the embarrassment in Detroit.

Regardless, this all comes back to Woody and his mandate that the new GM be forced to inherit Rex. You have different agendas and loyalties and nobody is on the same page. THIS is the crux of our dysfunction as a team.

At this point, the only rational move is to clean house entirely, hire a strong GM with a background in personnel like a Tom Gamble or an Eliot Wolf, give him full control, and let him bring on his own scouting department/front office people and HC.

you ever find your phuckin wallet? if so happy turkey day lol

DING DING DING!!!!

Correct. Other than Sione Pouha - who was absolute garbage 5yr Vet @NG until Rex arrived - who else has developed under his tenure????

Kyle Wilson? Coples? Josh Bush? Gholston? Kenrick Ellis? Mo? Ducasse? Either McKnight.

Rex is a good guy, but he's a $hit coach & ATROCIOUS developer of players DRAFTED under his tenure.

Mo? Seriously??

There's plenty of things to fairly fault Rex on, but this is one I just don't get. Please tell us which of the players on your list have played better with another team than with Rex? Or please list all of the players not on your list above that have not played well under Rex but have played much better on another team.

I can name a few off the top of my head that have "developed" under Rex: Revis and Pouha both had their best years under Rex, and Kerry Jenkins was a monster under Rex until injuries killed his career. What about "Snacks" an UDFA? I believe that Jim Leonhard played better for Rex as well.

The Gholston example is just ridiculous. He has a reputation of being lazy and did jack under Mangini, Rex, and Lovie Smith and is out of the league last I heard.

This is blaming the cook for using rotten ingredients. Coaches don't make untalented players amazing. That's not how it works. 

ps- Mo and Sheldon developed too are we not counting them b/c they actually have talent? 

IMO, I don't think he intentionally set up Rex to fail, he's just that terrible of a GM. But it seems that there's been a lot of stuff coming out lately, and when there's smoke....

I also don't like the argument that Idz got stuck with Rex. If that's the case then he should never have taken the job, and with a chance to fire him last season he just comes off as weak. It certainly can't be used as an excuse at this point for Idz.

I don't remember if you're one of the posters who said that Rex should take a HC job in the college ranks for a few years to improve his head coaching skills but I do think that's an excellent idea. I also think that Idz should take a job in player development/scouting for several years if he wants another job as a GM. He doesn't do anything well at all. I'd even argue that he really hasn't shown to be a great capologist either. Cleaning up the cap mess could have been accomplished by almost anyone on this board, let alone any component GM. Being good at cap management is striking a balance, say somewhere between Tanny and what Idz has done thus far.

Archived