Rex knew all year that Idzik would fire him - And other Rex/Idzik Articles (merged)

Mogglez

The plan, yes. Idzik running around bragging about his zany scheme to anyone who'll listen, not so much.

I don't imagine that getting the word out involved much running or zaniness. We're basketball tanking here. Step one is burn it down and step two is do no harm. There's a difference between trying to lose and not doing anything to constrain our ability to field the best possible team in the first season that Tom Brady is retired or at least not prohibitively good.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Idzik survives, it was a savvy play by him. He spent a rebuilding season gaining total control of the operation. The entire building was infested with Rex's drinking buddies, and now he gets to fumigate. Even if he's fired, he's done us a great service.

Sure he has. 12 draft picks and just one starter. I'm glad we had Idzik here. How else would we be the joke of the town even with Giants stinking?

I don't imagine that getting the word out involved much running or zaniness. We're basketball tanking here. Step one is burn it down and step two is do no harm. There's a difference between trying to lose and not doing anything to constrain our ability to field the best possible team in the first season that Tom Brady is retired or at least not prohibitively good.

Basketball teams tank because 1 or 2 players make all the difference on a basketball team, an those players are rare, and can only be found at the very top.

Football is very different than that, and you cannot count on the ping pong balls falling in your favor.

IF, again BIG IF, Idzik decided to tank a season, because there is a player he has identified in the draft that he wants and feels will change his team's fortune, well then that is the BALLSIEST (and maybe stupid) move I have ever heard of.

Can't believe he has that in him. Not realistic

Quarterbacks can be pretty important.  Also, draft picks are currency in football.  Even if there isn't a player Idzik likes near the top, he can always trade down.  Belichick does it all the time.  You guys need to stop thinking so short-term.  Your team was gonna suck this year anyway.

Go ahead, tell me all of the wonderful attributes that Rex brings as a head coach. tell me where he is innovative and unique.

Don't get all hurt if someone turns your words around.

LOL @ words hurting.  Yes, your words hurt because I'm behaving like a grown up.

I've disucussed Rex ad nauseum and no need to continue.  He's gone after this season so it's a  moot point.  Geno has the chance to hang around and continue to do damage to this franchise.  That's what I thought we were discussing.

Sadly, Rex has been the most successful coach this team has had in my lifetime.  I hope the next guy is better, but I'm not going to sit on a message board and pretend to know more about football than he does based on the fact the he has one of the worst rosters in the NFL.

LOL @ words hurting.  Yes, your words hurt because I'm behaving like a grown up.

I've disucussed Rex ad nauseum and no need to continue.  He's gone after this season so it's a  moot point.  Geno has the chance to hang around and continue to do damage to this franchise.  That's what I thought we were discussing.

Sadly, Rex has been the most successful coach this team has had in my lifetime.  I hope the next guy is better, but I'm not going to sit on a message board and pretend to know more about football than he does based on the fact the he has one of the worst rosters in the NFL.

Good God, have some fun in life. 

This forum is not meant to be croquet at the English club where we sip team and eat crumpets.

I think that what he said about Gholston was "If I can't make him a player then nobody can" or something along those lines. 

Serious with this?  He's a liar because he talked a guy up and tried to show a little faith in him to boost his confidence?  No different than  a parent telling their kid that the pile of sticks and glue that they brought home from school is a beautiful piece of art.

This is the way I remember it. I thought there were stories at the time about Rex not liking Gholston at all during the draft. 

A lot of legitimate complaints about Rex. I don't think trying to talk/coach up Gholston is one of them. 

Basketball teams tank because 1 or 2 players make all the difference on a basketball team, an those players are rare, and can only be found at the very top.

I'm not talking about losing on purpose for a higher draft pick, which doesn't work. I'm talking about not conceding anything in the future for short-term improvement that isn't meaningful.

More from PFT: 

Jets wouldn’t let Rex talk about Buddy’s health situation
Posted by Mike Florio on November 26, 2014, 8:34 AM EST
rexandbuddy.jpg?w=231Getty Images

Leave it to the Jets to be dysfunctional even in the process of disintegrating under the weight of dysfunction.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets blocked coach Rex Ryan from talking to Mehta about a bye-week visit to his ailing father, legendary NFL defensive guru Buddy Ryan.  Buddy, who rose to prominence as defensive coordinator of the ’85 Bears and then coached the Eagles and Cardinals, is battling cancer.

“Ryan was happy to discuss the visit, but a media relations official intervened presumably because of the News’ critical stories about Idzik,” Mehta wrote.  “Asked who made the decision to prevent a willing Ryan from sharing stories about his father, the media relations official said, ‘I don’t have to tell you.'”

Mehta interprets the muzzling of Rex Ryan as proof positive that, once the season ends, Ryan will no longer be the team’s head coach.  Apparently, the team fears that Rex would become more sympathetic in the eyes of the fan base if he’s dumped by the team at a time when his father is fighting a serious illness.

That sounds more than a little goofy, but why else would the Jets not let Ryan talk about his father, especially when his father is a famous former NFL coach?

The disclosure comes as part of a broader column in which Mehta goes all in against G.M. John Idzik, arguing that Idzik should be fired, too.  Although an unlikely upset of the Steelers seemed to go a long way toward saving Idzik, a 35-point Monday night blowout loss to the Bills may have pushed the needle the other way.

With Ryan surely done, the question becomes whether he’ll win enough games down the stretch to save Idzik.  If it was Idzik who gave the order to keep Rex from talking about Buddy, Rex should mail in the last five.

This is the way I remember it. I thought there were stories at the time about Rex not liking Gholston at all during the draft. 

A lot of legitimate complaints about Rex. I don't think trying to talk/coach up Gholston is one of them. 

this is exactly how I remember it, also

More from PFT: 

Leave it to the Jets to be dysfunctional even in the process of disintegrating under the weight of dysfunction.

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets blocked coach Rex Ryan from talking to Mehta about a bye-week visit to his ailing father, legendary NFL defensive guru Buddy Ryan.  Buddy, who rose to prominence as defensive coordinator of the ’85 Bears and then coached the Eagles and Cardinals, is battling cancer.

“Ryan was happy to discuss the visit, but a media relations official intervened presumably because of the News’ critical stories about Idzik,” Mehta wrote.  “Asked who made the decision to prevent a willing Ryan from sharing stories about his father, the media relations official said, ‘I don’t have to tell you.'”

Mehta interprets the muzzling of Rex Ryan as proof positive that, once the season ends, Ryan will no longer be the team’s head coach.  Apparently, the team fears that Rex would become more sympathetic in the eyes of the fan base if he’s dumped by the team at a time when his father is fighting a serious illness.

That sounds more than a little goofy, but why else would the Jets not let Ryan talk about his father, especially when his father is a famous former NFL coach?

The disclosure comes as part of a broader column in which Mehta goes all in against G.M. John Idzik, arguing that Idzik should be fired, too.  Although an unlikely upset of the Steelers seemed to go a long way toward saving Idzik, a 35-point Monday night blowout loss to the Bills may have pushed the needle the other way.

With Ryan surely done, the question becomes whether he’ll win enough games down the stretch to save Idzik.  If it was Idzik who gave the order to keep Rex from talking about Buddy, Rex should mail in the last five.

Hmmmm-Doesn't sound like the media has an axe to grind at all. They are totally objective.

Good God, have some fun in life. 

This forum is not meant to be croquet at the English club where we sip team and eat crumpets.

Right, because I'm a Jet fan and I like to talk about them like an adult from time to time, that means I don't have fun. 

Crumpets are awesome.

I don't buy it prob wrecks trying to save face the AL east teams have been killing us the kast couple of years doug marrone just put up 80 something points on rex yeah i am sure he wants him gone.

if it is true I see it as a big FU to the owner idzick taking control and saying your not going to tell me how to run the team.

It could be Rex trying to save face. I don't doubt that he feeds the media info to make himself look better. I also don't think Idzik was running around telling everyone his plan to get Rex fired. One thing Idzik is not is a blabbermouth.

However I do think it's possible that he purposely set up Rex to fail. I think the Percy Harvin trade kind of supports it. And if he did, then he should be fired right along with Rex (I think he should be fired anyway because he can't draft worth sh*t.) Purposely tanking the season before it even starts is an insult to the fans.

I really hope this all is not true.

More from PFT:

Jets wouldn’t let Rex talk about Buddy’s health situation

rexandbuddy.jpg?w=231

Getty Images

According to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, the Jets blocked coach Rex Ryan from talking to Mehta about a bye-week visit to his ailing father, legendary NFL defensive guru Buddy Ryan. Buddy, who rose to prominence as defensive coordinator of the ’85 Bears and then coached the Eagles and Cardinals, is battling cancer.

“Ryan was happy to discuss the visit, but a media relations official intervened presumably because of the News’ critical stories about Idzik,” Mehta wrote. “Asked who made the decision to prevent a willing Ryan from sharing stories about his father, the media relations official said, ‘I don’t have to tell you.'”

Mehta interprets the muzzling of Rex Ryan as proof positive that, once the season ends, Ryan will no longer be the team’s head coach. Apparently, the team fears that Rex would become more sympathetic in the eyes of the fan base if he’s dumped by the team at a time when his father is fighting a serious illness.

The disclosure comes as part of a broader column in which Mehta goes all in against G.M. John Idzik, arguing that Idzik should be fired, too. Although an unlikely upset of the Steelers seemed to go a long way toward saving Idzik, a 35-point Monday night blowout loss to the Bills may have pushed the needle the other way.

With Ryan surely done, the question becomes whether he’ll win enough games down the stretch to save Idzik. If it was Idzik who gave the order to keep Rex from talking about Buddy, Rex should mail in the last five.

Manish Mehta and PFT : football :: Woodward and Bernstein : politics

Hmmmm-Doesn't sound like the media has an axe to grind at all. They are totally objective.

Mehta's a tool. but if he's reporting the truth that Rex wanted to talk about his father but the team nixed it, well, it's curious at best. 

More from PFT: 

The horrible Jets had the gall to bring in Buddy Ryan last year, for the Saints game so he could have a reunion with both his boys.

Another attempt to roust and create leverage against Rex.

total crap. His teammates nicknamed him "Coach Cro".

Thought so....

The Jets' Most Valuable Player award is named after the most vaunted running back in franchise history, but for the fourth straight season a defensive player will take home the honor.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartieicon-article-link.gif today was named the winner of the Curtis Martin MVP Award in a vote of the Jets players.

total crap. His teammates nicknamed him "Coach Cro".

http://nypost.com/2014/08/13/jets-hoping-to-avoid-the-divide-that-last-years-squad-fell-into/

The [2013] team just went through a lot of losing, and some of the issues that stemmed from that caused division in the locker room,” Colon said. “We put that aside this year, and we understand every man needs to put his hand in the column and be for each other.”

While Colon refused to point any fingers, the only major departures from the Jets in the offseason were wide receiver Santonio Holmes, cornerback Antonio Cromartie, tight end Kellen Winslow Jr., safety Ed Reed and quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Thought so....

The Jets' Most Valuable Player award is named after the most vaunted running back in franchise history, but for the fourth straight season a defensive player will take home the honor.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartieicon-article-link.gif today was named the winner of the Curtis Martin MVP Award in a vote of the Jets players.

and yes, I can say that all along, I wanted Cro back. He was saying in the off-season that he would need to re-do his contract and was open to it to stay in NY. It would have been the best solution out there. Idziot didn't seem to think so. Much more important to have all that cap room vacant. I guess we now know why.

http://nypost.com/2014/08/13/jets-hoping-to-avoid-the-divide-that-last-years-squad-fell-into/

The [2013] team just went through a lot of losing, and some of the issues that stemmed from that caused division in the locker room,” Colon said. “We put that aside this year, and we understand every man needs to put his hand in the column and be for each other.”

While Colon refused to point any fingers, the only major departures from the Jets in the offseason were wide receiver Santonio Holmes, cornerback Antonio Cromartie, tight end Kellen Winslow Jr., safety Ed Reed and quarterback Mark Sanchez.

lol... that's pretty weak sauce, man.

So, we KNOW they voted him MVP, but we THINK maybe somebody didn't like him....hilarious.

1. It wasn't the worst draft in history

Considering how many picks we've had, his drafts have been brutal.  Comparing them to other Jets drafts does you no good.  Idzik was supposed to be different.  Yeah, I know you're going to argue that it was Rex's influence that made those drafts as bad as they were.  But Idzik was supposed to be the adult in the room who paid Rex no attention. 

Idzik was hired by Woody Johnson who is a terrible owner.  I don't see why its such a surprise that our new GM wasn't able to fix much of anything.  If Idzik really had it in his plans to fire Rex before this season began it should have happened already.  This is all stupidity. 

Archived