In Retrospect: Could Eric Mangini have taken the Jets to the AFC Championship and beyond?

CobraVerde

Don't disagree with you, but to be fair, Buddy and his Defense won that Super Bowl for the Bears. Ditka wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, either.

You and I could have won a Super Bowl with that '85 Bears defense.

That was the greatest defense in the history of the NFL.

McMahon is counting his blessings, if he can still count.

We all like to speculate so here is one. What if Mangini never got fired. Could he had done what Ryan did which was lead the Jets to back to back championships? Many would say Ryan rode all of Mangini's draft picks and that is what got him so far. Have you changed your mind knowing where we are? Or do you think only Ryan's defensive schemes got us within a game of the Super Bowl? What were Mangini's biggest wins vs Ryan's?

One can only wonder whether or not things would have been different. 

Mangini made two critical mistakes as HC. First he tried to be "little Bill" with the media, which made him a target right away. Secondly, he knew he had a fragile QB situation with Chad Pennington coming off yet another shoulder surgery, so he should have demanded a QB to develop and it just so happened that Joe Flacco was available. He chose Vernon Gholston - a move Rex would have loved - and Brett Favre. The rest is history. Rex did well with the team he was handed, but then got cocky and thought he could build a reincarnation of the 1985 Bears defense and began a string of first round choices that leaves much to be desired, He also ruined Mark Sanchez by taking away weapons like Thomas Jones -  a 1,200 yard rusher -  Braylon Edwards - arguably Sanchez favorite target. As if that wasn't enough he also dropped Jerricho Cotchery and guard Alan Fanaca and replaced those guys with Vlad Ducasse, Wayner Hunter, Plex Burress and Derrick Mason. In 2012, Rex made his worst moves yet, taking on Tony Sparano as OC with NO previous experience at the job and Tim Tebow with much bragging about how Tebow was going to take the Wildcat offense to new dimensions. I would take Eric Mangini on his WORST day than Rex on his best.

Mangini made two critical mistakes as HC. First he tried to be "little Bill" with the media, which made him a target right away. Secondly, he knew he had a fragile QB situation with Chad Pennington coming off yet another shoulder surgery, so he should have demanded a QB to develop and it just so happened that Joe Flacco was available. He chose Vernon Gholston - a move Rex would have loved - and Brett Favre. The rest is history. Rex did well with the team he was handed, but then got cocky and thought he could build a reincarnation of the 1985 Bears defense and began a string of first round choices that leaves much to be desired, He also ruined Mark Sanchez by taking away weapons like Thomas Jones -  a 1,200 yard rusher -  Braylon Edwards - arguably Sanchez favorite target. As if that wasn't enough he also dropped Jerricho Cotchery and guard Alan Fanaca and replaced those guys with Vlad Ducasse, Wayner Hunter, Plex Burress and Derrick Mason. In 2012, Rex made his worst moves yet, taking on Tony Sparano as OC with NO previous experience at the job and Tim Tebow with much bragging about how Tebow was going to take the Wildcat offense to new dimensions. I would take Eric Mangini on his WORST day than Rex on his best.

ahh....Flacco. How different it could of been.

Mangini made two critical mistakes as HC. First he tried to be "little Bill" with the media, which made him a target right away. Secondly, he knew he had a fragile QB situation with Chad Pennington coming off yet another shoulder surgery, so he should have demanded a QB to develop and it just so happened that Joe Flacco was available. He chose Vernon Gholston - a move Rex would have loved - and Brett Favre. The rest is history. Rex did well with the team he was handed, but then got cocky and thought he could build a reincarnation of the 1985 Bears defense and began a string of first round choices that leaves much to be desired, He also ruined Mark Sanchez by taking away weapons like Thomas Jones - a 1,200 yard rusher - Braylon Edwards - arguably Sanchez favorite target. As if that wasn't enough he also dropped Jerricho Cotchery and guard Alan Fanaca and replaced those guys with Vlad Ducasse, Wayner Hunter, Plex Burress and Derrick Mason. In 2012, Rex made his worst moves yet, taking on Tony Sparano as OC with NO previous experience at the job and Tim Tebow with much bragging about how Tebow was going to take the Wildcat offense to new dimensions. I would take Eric Mangini on his WORST day than Rex on his best.

He made a third mistake...a coffee gofer pretending to be a HC

After he proved to be a failure here, he went to the Browns and proved to be an even worse failure there

Guy could coach his ass off. Needed to adjust how he dealt with veterans though.

If you win big, you can treat everyone like crap, Bellicheat being the foremost example.  But when you don't that gets old fast in any business. Which is why Mangini and McDaniel and probably O'Brien very soon, as well as Pioli and probably Dimitroff soon only have so long before adult men get tired of that.  "The Junction Boys' act no longer flies except in college. Which is also why Jim Harbaugh has a short NFL shelf life but might work out at Michigan. DOn;t care what you do for a living, if the boss's default MO is to be angry and pissed off, it doesn't work. If everything is gorunds to get yelled out people start to get subversive and indifferent. Ryan's happytalk nonsense is the other extreme, and clearly that doesn't work either.

We all like to speculate so here is one. What if Mangini never got fired. Could he had done what Ryan did which was lead the Jets to back to back championships? Many would say Ryan rode all of Mangini's draft picks and that is what got him so far. Have you changed your mind knowing where we are? Or do you think only Ryan's defensive schemes got us within a game of the Super Bowl? What were Mangini's biggest wins vs Ryan's?

One can only wonder whether or not things would have been different.

Mangini got screwed when the owner wanted a big name QB to sell PSLs. We were on the path to building a championship through the draft and developing good players with high football IQs. Then a HOF QB was traded for making Mangini's job that much harder. Thanks Woody, next time stay out of it or sell the team........

Mangini got screwed when the owner wanted a big name QB to sell PSLs. We were on the path to building a championship through the draft and developing good players with high football IQs. Then a HOF QB was traded for making Mangini's job that much harder. Thanks Woody, next time stay out of it or sell the team........

to be fair...I think all 3 of them wanted Favre (Woody, Tannenbaum and Mangini). Favre hated it here, but if he didnt get hurt we probably win some playoff games.

You do realize that there was a GM in place making a lot of these decisions?

Edwards - they had to decide between Bray and Holmes. IMO the DWI did Bray in. Didn't like the decision at the time but understood it.

Cotch - became a malcontent and didn't want to be on the team anymore (potential locker room cancer)

Fanecca and Woody - both old and breaking down and had to be replaced. Ducasse was 100% a Tanny pick. Hunter looked good replacing Woody in 10 and it made sense to give him his shot in 11. I could only imagine the reaction around here at that time if he wasn't.

Tebow was 100% a Woody move to sell PSL's. What was Rex supposed to do, play him as a QB, LOL! Was Rex supposed to say Tebow didn't have a place on  the team? 

TJ - I highly doubt this was a Rex decision since he values the running game so much

Soprano was 100% on Rex and that was a bad move no doubt but at least he was fired after one season.

Lol, I think it was coincidental..........

LOL

No it wasn't, it was actually a promise Mangini had made to Favre if he signed with the Jets. To make matters worst, Mangini has a kid named after Belichick.

As pledged, Mangini gives son middle name Brett in QB's honor

Updated: October 11, 2008, 9:19 AM ET

Associated Press

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- There's a new Brett in Eric Mangini's life.

Zack Brett Mangini was born early Friday -- also Brett Favre's 39th birthday -- and the New York Jets coach and his wife, Julie, gave their third son a middle name fit for an iconic, gunslinging quarterback.

Eric Mangini told Brett Favre he would name his third son after him if he signed with the Jets.

"I think he thinks it's pretty cool," Mangini said of Favre. "I think the more interesting, ironic, I don't know what word you'd use, is the fact he was born on Brett's birthday."

The newest member of the Mangini family was born at 7:43 a.m., weighing in at 7 pounds and 13 ounces and was 20 inches long with "very, very healthy lungs." A beaming Mangini, wearing a hospital bracelet around his left wrist, said the baby and his wife were "happy, healthy, so we're all excited."

Mangini committed to using the middle name, Brett, when he and the Jets were trying to get Favre to come to New York in the summer.

"The odds of the child being born on the same day as my birthday, I don't know what the odds are," Favre said. "He told me that today was the day and I asked, 'Well, is he still going to be Brett?' He said, 'Yeah, Zack Brett.' ... The odds, in some respects, are a lot like me. What were the odds of me ever coming to the Jets?

"It is a pretty cool thing."

Well, the history behind that is all my kids have middle names that are related to people that have been important to me in my football career.

-- Jets coach Eric Mangini

Special middle names are nothing new for the Mangini family. Their first son, Jake Harrison, who's 4½, is named after New England safety Rodney Harrison. Their 2½-year-old son, Luke William, is named in honor of Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

"Well, the history behind that," Mangini explained, "is all my kids have middle names that are related to people that have been important to me in my football career."

Mangini has also enjoyed professional success after each of his first two sons were born, both coincidentally on Feb. 26. Following Jake's birth in 2004, the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl -- with Harrison intercepting two passes in the victory over Philadelphia. After Luke's birth two years later, Mangini led the Jets to the playoffs in his first season as coach.

So, when the Jets were recruiting the NFL's career leader in touchdown throws, Mangini made the middle name a negotiating chip.

"I explained that history and explained that we were pregnant with our third child," Mangini said. "I really believed that he could be an instrumental part in another good year and an important part of my football life and I would commit to Zack Brett Mangini at that point. That was part of our terms, and we stuck with it."

Mangini said the baby's middle name was going to be Brett even if the two didn't share the same birthday.

"That was locked and loaded in the negotiations," Mangini said with a smile, "but we couldn't have planned that if we wanted to. Pretty exciting."

Despite the middle name, Mangini isn't too optimistic that his youngest son will become an NFL quarterback.

"I don't like my odds there," Mangini said with a grin. "Just judging by how I throw, every male in our respective families throw, we tend to breed linemen on both sides. Maybe he'll change the equation."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Is itso easily ignored that Mangini was a defensive coach and the Jets D stunk during his tenure? Or the fact that the only year Mangini was a DC the Pats had the worst defense of the Belichick era?

The only thing Mangini did well was pick players, but it still was not slightly above average because he drafted some bums.

Is itso easily ignored that Mangini was a defensive coach and the Jets D stunk during his tenure? Or the fact that the only year Mangini was a DC the Pats had the worst defense of the Belichick era?

The only thing Mangini did well was pick players, but it still was not slightly above average because he drafted some bums.

I have no way of proving if, but I think Mangini's worst obstacle in life is himself. He's a tremendous talent evaluator but he was even more of a dick than Tom Coughlin and I think the players just tuned him out. You see the reactions the first year with Rex on board and the collective sigh in all of the players quotes. If Mangini could've just gotten the attitude in check, maybe things for him could've been different. Idk.

LOLNo it wasn't, it was actually a promise Mangini had made to Favre if he signed with the Jets. To make matters worst, Mangini has a kid named after Belichick.As pledged, Mangini gives son middle name Brett in QB's honorUpdated: October 11, 2008, 9:19 AM ETAssociated PressFLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- There's a new Brett in Eric Mangini's life.Zack Brett Mangini was born early Friday -- also Brett Favre's 39th birthday -- and the New York Jets coach and his wife, Julie, gave their third son a middle name fit for an iconic, gunslinging quarterback.Eric Mangini told Brett Favre he would name his third son after him if he signed with the Jets."I think he thinks it's pretty cool," Mangini said of Favre. "I think the more interesting, ironic, I don't know what word you'd use, is the fact he was born on Brett's birthday."The newest member of the Mangini family was born at 7:43 a.m., weighing in at 7 pounds and 13 ounces and was 20 inches long with "very, very healthy lungs." A beaming Mangini, wearing a hospital bracelet around his left wrist, said the baby and his wife were "happy, healthy, so we're all excited."Mangini committed to using the middle name, Brett, when he and the Jets were trying to get Favre to come to New York in the summer."The odds of the child being born on the same day as my birthday, I don't know what the odds are," Favre said. "He told me that today was the day and I asked, 'Well, is he still going to be Brett?' He said, 'Yeah, Zack Brett.' ... The odds, in some respects, are a lot like me. What were the odds of me ever coming to the Jets?"It is a pretty cool thing."Well, the history behind that is all my kids have middle names that are related to people that have been important to me in my football career.-- Jets coach Eric ManginiSpecial middle names are nothing new for the Mangini family. Their first son, Jake Harrison, who's 4½, is named after New England safety Rodney Harrison. Their 2½-year-old son, Luke William, is named in honor of Patriots coach Bill Belichick."Well, the history behind that," Mangini explained, "is all my kids have middle names that are related to people that have been important to me in my football career."Mangini has also enjoyed professional success after each of his first two sons were born, both coincidentally on Feb. 26. Following Jake's birth in 2004, the Patriots went on to win the Super Bowl -- with Harrison intercepting two passes in the victory over Philadelphia. After Luke's birth two years later, Mangini led the Jets to the playoffs in his first season as coach.So, when the Jets were recruiting the NFL's career leader in touchdown throws, Mangini made the middle name a negotiating chip."I explained that history and explained that we were pregnant with our third child," Mangini said. "I really believed that he could be an instrumental part in another good year and an important part of my football life and I would commit to Zack Brett Mangini at that point. That was part of our terms, and we stuck with it."Mangini said the baby's middle name was going to be Brett even if the two didn't share the same birthday."That was locked and loaded in the negotiations," Mangini said with a smile, "but we couldn't have planned that if we wanted to. Pretty exciting."Despite the middle name, Mangini isn't too optimistic that his youngest son will become an NFL quarterback."I don't like my odds there," Mangini said with a grin. "Just judging by how I throw, every male in our respective families throw, we tend to breed linemen on both sides. Maybe he'll change the equation."Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

That is insane, yet believable because it is the Jets......

If Eric Mangini is such an incredible evaluator of talent why is he not at the very least working in the Front Office somewhere or as a GM? Did you see some of the moves he made in Cleveland? Do you people know who Anthony Schlegel and Kellen Clemens are?

The NFL has evaluated Eric Mangini's superpowers, and determined that his best fit is as a tight end coach with the 49ers. Is it a coincidence that Vernon Davis is in the middle of one of his worst seasons as a pro? I don't know, maybe.

The NFL has evaluated Eric Mangini's superpowers, and determined that his best fit is as a tight end coach with the 49ers. Is it a coincidence that Vernon Davis is in the middle of one of his worst seasons as a pro? I don't know, maybe.

Its a Process...not just any coach can convert Vernon Davis from All World to Mediocre

Kaepernick and that whole offense is a disaster. Can't blame Mangini for that. 

Mangini built the 2009, and 2010 teams. Rex ruined them, and yet most here doubt Mangini could have had better results? Makes perfect sense.

I would take Mangini back as HC tomorrow.

Kaepernick and that whole offense is a disaster. Can't blame Mangini for that.

It's always someone else's fault

Let's sum up. and maybe, maybe end this revisionist horses...t about the horses behind Eric Kotite

Head coaching record

33 wins

47 losses

EPIC FAILURE

does mangini beat manning and brady in back to back weeks with sanchez at QB, smith at safety and lito sheppard at corner ?

Thank you 

Rex has lost it and needs to go, but those teams overachieved and simply got as far as they could and farther than they should have.

Then they played played teams where their talent deficiency got exploited.

Mangini tried to act and conduct himself like he was Parcells and was viewed with less respect than Herm. Obvious problem. 

Vernon Davis stats through week 12 under the guidance of Eric Mangini:

210 yards, 2tds

Eric Mangini is amazing let's hire him back as our head coach.

Thank you 

Rex has lost it and needs to go, but those teams overachieved and simply got as far as they could and farther than they should have.

Then they played played teams where their talent deficiency got exploited.

Mangini tried to act and conduct himself like he was Parcells and was viewed with less respect than Herm. Obvious problem. 

Rex is a good coach, especially with defensive X's and O's, but he's not good enough to overcome not having talent and never having a decent qb.  It's just time to move on I wish him best hopefully he gets the ATL job I think he's a good fit there.

Archived