Rex Sacked In Jets QB Swap

flgreen

Mehta: Rex sacked in Jets' QB swap

MANISH MEHTA

Today, 12:00 AM

Maybe Rex Ryan should give himself the start at QB this week?

Rex Ryan has been marginalized in the twilight of a six-year run that began with a bang and will end with a whimper.

Although the Jets head coach proclaimed Wednesday that “everybody’s on board” with the decision to bench Mike Vick for Geno Smith for the upcoming Monday night game against the Dolphins, that simply isn’t the case.

Sources told the Daily News that offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg was among the majority of people in the organization, including players, who wanted to stick with Vick. Ryan also preferred the veteran, but placated his superiors to avoid conflict on his way out.

Ryan, the quintessential people pleaser, isn’t interested in sabotaging GM John Idzik or owner Woody Johnson during his final few weeks.

He wants to take the high road before looking for his next gig, according to sources.

Burning down the team headquarters at One Jets Drive makes little strategic sense for Ryan’s career. So, he put on a good show for reporters on Wednesday to explain the move to turn back to the turnover-prone Smith. “I think the best thing for this team right now is to play Geno Smith,” Ryan said. “Does he give you a good chance to win? Or a chance to win? I believe he does give us a chance to win.”

Not exactly high praise, but Ryan had little statistical data to support Smith, who is 9-15 as a starter.

Ryan might be a flawed head coach, but he deserves better as he finishes his tenure. He has comported himself exceedingly well even as his public fibs to protect Idzik grow more embarrassing.

Ryan let Idzik cling to the fading hope that his 2013 second-round pick will magically find his way. The merits of the decision to bench Vick, who was 1-2 as a starter, are debatable, but the decision-making process is not: It’s a joke.

If Ryan doesn’t feel like he can start the quarterback he truly believes gives the Jets the best opportunity to win, then why bother keeping him on the sideline? Give Idzik a headset (and an abacus) and let him run the show for the final month.

WARNING: Expect many delay-of-game penalties.

The News reported last month that Ryan had to clear his decision to bench Smith after the Week 8 loss to the Bills with Idzik and Johnson. So, it was hardly surprising that he consulted them with five games remaining in this wretched season. This process itself speaks to a larger problem within the organization.

There is no way that Ryan, who values ball security more than anything else from his quarterbacks, actually believes that benching a player who had committed only one turnover in three starts for a turnover machine will improve his chances of winning.

Vick’s three-game stretch of one turnover was the best under Ryan since Mark Sanchez did the same from Weeks 5-7 in 2011, a span of 49 games. So, naturally it made sense for Ryan to pull the plug on Vick, right?

Please.

“I don’t own this organization. I just play for it,” said Vick, who was professional as usual. “Why do things happen? I don’t know. I don’t ask too many questions.”

The Jets (2-9) have been mathematically eliminated from playoff contention with more than a month left in the season partly due to Smith’s poor play in the first two months.

Smith, 1-7 as a starter this season, was a train wreck before he was benched. He committed a turnover in seven games, including multiple turnovers in four. He was terrible in nearly every statistical category, including quarterback rating (67.4).

Smith has committed a turnover in 19 of 24 career starts, including multiple turnovers in half of them. Vick, 34, obviously isn’t the future, but be had more games with a 100-plus QB rating (two) in three starts than Smith had in 24 (one).

Don"t expect Ryan to throw his owner or GM under the bus, even if he is seemingly a lame duck.

Smith was given plenty of opportunities in the past two years to prove that he can be a franchise quarterback.

He has failed.

“I’m definitely going to be playing like everything’s on the line,” Smith said Wednesday. “Because it is.”

Smith fooled the organization with a marginally successful four-game run against non-playoff teams last December. Johnson shouldn’t let Smith’s play down the stretch in meaningless games cloud the big picture this time: The Jets must draft a franchise quarterback this offseason.

Meanwhile, Ryan will try to toe the company line with a straight face.

Rex knows that bashing the owner and GM won't look good for him and he also knows that he will take a sizeable amount of Woody's money next year after he is fired. I think Rex is as sick and tired of the circus he created as we all are - he just doesn't know how to fix it. I have been saying this since 2011 when he ripped apart the offense and "guaranteed" a SB. Bullsh*tters bullsh*t and Rex Ryan is the ultimate bullsh*tter. He is simply reaping what he has sown.

Starting Geno is the best option at this point. If you can't trade up to get Mariota or Winston you may have to draft OL and keep Geno and get coaches who can turn him into a better QB. 

Rex is road kill at this point he's a beaten defeated man end of the Rex Ryan era is near. 

Gotta love Patsy fans.

1. Didn't really understand the thread

2. Are so pathetic, they post on another teams forum on Thanksgiving.

I agree this guy has worn out his welcome here as far as I'm concerned. Join me in putting him on IGNORE so what he says won't matter anymore. 

IGNORE PatsFanTX

Rex really seems hellbent on burning down the house on his way out the door with all these leaks. We can look forward to 5 more weeks of this, but I guess we deserve it for not having the stones to fire him during the bye like we should have. Frankly, I have no idea why Idzik doesn't fire him right now just for the leaks, unless that's what Rex wants and it's a calculated "f*ck you" move.

I hope Jets fans finally see this man for the fraud he always was. How he managed to hoodwink so much of the fanbase for so long is something I'll never understand.

Archived