Tannerhill becoming QB Jets Thought Smith was

flgreen

While Geno Smith has been a bust at QB for Jets, Ryan Tannehill thriving with Dolphins

Tannehill may have been in the league a year longer than Smith but he is eons ahead of him, especially in this breakout campaign of his in which he's completed 66.1% of his passes and thrown 20 touchdowns compared to just eight interceptions. He's led the Dolphins to a 6-5 record, though tight losses to the Packers and Broncos has to have them wondering if they are even better than their record indicates.

BY SETH WALDER NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Thursday, November 27, 2014, 12:52 PM A A

Ryan Tannehill (r.) has the Dolphins in the thick of the AFC playoff race.

When the Jets play the Dolphins on Monday it would only be human nature for members of Gang Green Nation feel a pang of envy when they see Ryan Tannehill under center for one of their rivals.

Tannehill represents what the Jets thought they had in Geno Smith when they drafted him, a young quarterback who is filling out his potential. He may have been in the league a year longer than Smith but he is eons ahead of him, especially in this breakout campaign of his in which he's completed 66.1% of his passes and thrown 20 touchdowns compared to just eight interceptions. He's led the Dolphins to a 6-5 record, though tight losses to the Packers and Broncos has to have them wondering if they are even better than their record indicates.

"I feel that way," Tannehill said this week.

But regardless of whether they could have been better, the distinction is clear: Tannehill's team is in the thick of the playoff hunt, Smith's has been out of it for weeks.

"They do a great job (with) a lot of underneath throws," Rex Ryan said of Tannehill. "He is accurate, he is hitting them in the there. He (has) about a 67 percent completion rate. The deep throws, he will take shots down the field, don't get me wrong, he will still take those. They're getting him completions. He knows where to go with the ball and he is just boom. He is kind of in rhythm."

That's not to make him out to be Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, but Tannehill's development has been instrumental in the improvement of the Dolphins. That, of course, is all a sharp contrast to Smith, who just got the starting job back from Mike Vick. Smith's first run was marred by turnovers and an overall lack of productivity, big factors in the team's 1-7 record with Smith as a starter this year.

A key element to Tannehill's success has been an increase in the amount (and effectiveness) of his running ability.

Geno Smith gets a second shot at starting quarterback for the Jets after a miserable first eight weeks of the 2014 season.

"That creates an additional threat,"Jets linebacker Demario Davis said.

The Dolphins QB has rushed 40 times, eight shy of his career high, for a total of 276 yards -- the most for a quarterback in the AFC.

Part of the change for Tannehill was the switch to new offensive coordinator Bill Lazor's system. Lazor was the quarterbacks coach in Philadelphia under Chip Kelly prior to taking over as offensive coordinator in Miami.

Tannehill said there were some growing pains initially, but by Week 3 or 4 he started to feel comfortable and started thriving. Between Weeks 4 and 11, Tannehill put up a quarterback rating over 100 in five of the eight games he played.

"I've finally settled in and gotten comfortable and started playing the game and not thinking about trying to make everything perfect," he said. "It's working out for me."

The difference in Tannerhill and Geno is Miami has an OC that isn't afraid to turn loose the QB here we have the draw play mentality on 3rd and long. MM is a BUM he and Rex can go to hell for all I care this isn't football the way its supposed to be played hasn't been that way here in awhile. 

my point is they just go so far out of their way to stab us.  the fake spike anniversary, now tannehill is marino.  just **** them all

I agree about the media, but the Jets give them so much ammo.

The worst QB in the league, the worst GM in the league, a clown HC, and owner. A snarky scribes dream

Not the worst QB in the league the worst OC in the league keeping the QB down.

Well I think he rates out at about 39th, of 32 starters. I haven't seen many of the back ups, but of the ones I've seen, Smith is the worst.

Marty may not be the best OC in the league, but he has done pretty well with mediocre QB's in the past.

Smith has always sucked

Well I think he rates out at about 39th, of 32 starters. I haven't seen many of the back ups, but of the ones I've seen, Smith is the worst.

Marty may not be the best OC in the league, but he has done pretty well with mediocre QB's in the past.

Smith has always sucked

Disagree the play calling sucks it gets worse game after game. How did the Vick experiment work out Monday night? MM calling the plays Vick and the offense sucked. 

Smith came here a decent college QB just like Pennington,Sanchez,Tebow,others what happened after that is all NY Jets doing like it or not. 

MM sucks this and calls the worst plays in the league. 

Disagree the play calling sucks it gets worse game after game. How did the Vick experiment work out Monday night? MM calling the plays Vick and the offense sucked. 

Smith came here a decent college QB just like Pennington,Sanchez,Tebow,others what happened after that is all NY Jets doing like it or not. 

MM sucks this and calls the worst plays in the league.

Smith lost 6 of his last NCAA games, with 2 of the best WR's in the country. The performance he put on in the Pinstripe bowl was by far the worst QB play of all the Bowl games.

Guy sucks

Smith lost 6 of his last NCAA games, with 2 of the best WR's in the country. The performance he put on in the Pinstripe bowl was by far the worst QB play of all the Bowl games.

Guy sucks

How is Tavon Austin doing in the NFL? 

Smith doesn't suck the OC MM sucks and the play calling is the worst in the league. 

Rex doesn't know the offensive side of the ball he relies on an OC who is usually the worst in the league that we employ here. The Jets do things no other team in the NFL does draft day,free agency, off season,during the season you name it. 

45 years and counting...........dont dare blame this on Geno Smith before you blamed it on Mark Sanchez............

How is Tavon Austin doing in the NFL? 

Smith doesn't suck the OC MM sucks and the play calling is the worst in the league.

What does it matter what Austin is doing in ghe NFL. A lot of great NCAA players suck in the NFL. When Smith was QB at WV he had one of the shortest yards in the air averages in the country and one of the highest YAC.

A lot of his passes were behind the LOS. He was never any good. Marty may not be the optimum as an OC, but that doesn't change the fact that Smith is very very bad.

if you choose to see him as a future HOF'er OK

What does it matter what Austin is doing in ghe NFL. A lot of great NCAA players suck in the NFL. When Smith was QB at WV he had one of the shortest yards in the air averages in the country and one of the highest YAC.

A lot of his passes were behind the LOS. He was never any good. Marty may not be the optimum as an OC, but that doesn't change the fact that Smith is very very bad.

if you choose to see him as a future HOF'er OK

You said Smith lost 6 of his last NCAA games, with 2 of the best WR's in the country. The performance he put on in the Pinstripe bowl was by far the worst QB play of all the Bowl games.

2 of the best WRs in the country and I asked how Austin is doing in the NFL 

No future HOF'er but a decent Jets QB that can get the job done

You said Smith lost 6 of his last NCAA games, with 2 of the best WR's in the country. The performance he put on in the Pinstripe bowl was by far the worst QB play of all the Bowl games.

2 of the best WRs in the country and I asked how Austin is doing in the NFL 

No future HOF'er but a decent Jets QB that can get the job done

And I asked what difference it makes what he is doing in the NFL? We know all that. he was the best YAC WR in NCAA. It hugely inflated Smith's stats.

Smith is much closer to the worst QB in the NFL then he is to getting the job done. I'm kind of sure Marty isn't instructing him to throw the ball to the other team.

Archived