Vet QB's who might be available next season

flgreen

RG III and the Jets: Not the craziest idea

November, 27, 2014

NOV 27

2:00

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPN.com

The drum beat is faint now, but it will grow progressively louder in the coming weeks and months:

RG III ... RG III ... RG III.

The New York Jets will be looking for a quarterback in the offseason, maybe two, and it appears that Robert Griffin III -- benched this week by the Washington Redskins -- will be available. Let's be clear: Several dominos have to fall before RG III-to-the-Jets can be considered anything more than fantasy-football chatter -- mainly, we don't know who will be calling the shots for the Jets -- but he could fit the profile for their 2015 plan.

Griffin has only one year remaining on his contract (an affordable $3.3 million guaranteed), assuming the Redskins don't exercise the fifth-year option in the spring. For the Jets, it would be a Percy Harvin-like trade: not much downside in terms of financial risk. Essentially, a one-year audition.

Obviously, a lot would hinge on the Redskins' asking price. They surrendered three first-round picks for Griffin in the 2012 draft, but his value has gone down, down, down amid questions about his attitude, his mechanics and his surgically repaired knee. Chances are, they would have to settle for pennies on the dollar, maybe a middle-round conditional pick that would increase if he meets certain performance levels.

All bets are off for the Jets if they take Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston or another quarterback with a high draft pick. They would have a new franchise quarterback, and there would be no point in trading for somebody else's tarnished franchise quarterback. Griffin-to-the-Jets only makes sense if they pick a quarterback in the later rounds or don't draft one at all, bringing back Geno Smith to compete for the starting job or, more likely, be a backup.

Griffin has accumulated a lot of baggage since his sensational rookie season, raising questions about whether he will ever fulfill his potential. He's a system quarterback, and we have no idea what type of system the Jets will be running next season. So, yes, this is a considerable projection on our part, but it's worth investigating if you are the Jets. They will be starting over at quarterback, so what is there to lose?

A look at other veterans who figure to be available in the offseason:

Bradford

Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams: The former No. 1 overall pick, coming off back-to-back knee surgeries, is a likely salary-cap casualty. He has a $16.6 million cap charge in 2015, the final year of his rookie contract. The Rams can clear close to $13 million by dumping him. Bradford didn't play well when he was healthy, so there would be considerable risk. At best, he would be a one-year stop gap.

Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears: He signed a seven-year extension at the end of last season (through 2020), but it's not a cap-crushing contract if the Bears decide to part ways with Cutler. There is a $15.5 million guarantee in 2015, but no guaranteed money beyond that. Cutler can sling it with anyone, but he's a turnover-prone quarterback with a prima-donna attitude -- and that wouldn't play well in New York.

Hoyer

Brian Hoyer, Cleveland Browns: Credit him for overcoming two phenomenons -- Johnny Football and the Browns' history of losing. Hoyer, one of the main reasons for the Browns' resurgence, will be the top free agent on the market. He probably wouldn't be a fit for the Jets. He's a complementary player -- read: game-manager -- who will command big bucks for the long term.

Johnny Manziel, Cleveland Browns: Johnny Football in the Big Apple? He would blow up the Internet and social media. He would sell tickets for Woody Johnson, that's for sure, but the deficiencies in his game, coupled with what the Browns would ask in a trade, wouldn't justify the risk-reward. The Browns invested a first-round pick in Manziel, so they won't give him away for nothing.

Josh McCown, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: He's under contract for 2015 (no guaranteed money), but he could be the odd-man out if the Bucs pick Mariota or Winston. The Jets were interested in McCown last offseason before signing Michael Vick. He wouldn't be a bad hold-the-fort guy.

Mark Sanchez, Philadelphia Eagles: Ha, ha.

my first pick would be Cutler.  i know he's got a bad wrap, but out of all those options Cutler is clearly superior.  he'd be a great option for 3 - 4 years if we don't get to draft Mariota and go for someone like Connor Cook if he comes out.  

i don't get how anyone could want someone like Locker or Bradford here.  serious injury issues and they really weren't good QBs when they were healthy.  

RG3 would be my second pick.  I'd like to see RG3 here as the starter with Mariota watching. obviously we would need a completely different coaching staff to cater to these guys' playing style.

my first pick would be Cutler.  i know he's got a bad wrap, but out of all those options Cutler is clearly superior.  he'd be a great option for 3 - 4 years if we don't get to draft Mariota and go for someone like Connor Cook if he comes out.  

i don't get how anyone could want someone like Locker or Bradford here.  serious injury issues and they really weren't good QBs when they were healthy.  

RG3 would be my second pick.  I'd like to see RG3 here as the starter with Mariota watching. obviously we would need a completely different coaching staff to cater to these guys' playing style.

So no on Locker or Bradford because injuries and not playing well, but yes on RGIII even though it looks like one of his legs could snap off at any minute and he's been brutal when he hasn't been able to run because of said injuries? Really?

I think someone like Jake Locker would be perfect on a show me contract while grooming a high draft pick behind him.

No matter who, it is essential for the Jets to get a viable (read not Michael Vick) veteran QB in here so that whomever is drafted and whomever is coaching next season doesn't feel obligated to rush to play said draftee. Neither Sanchez nor Geno Smith were ready and could have used at least one year of learning and clipboard holding.

Cutler is probably the best of them, but the guy is such a J O. The media would murder him.

RG III? No way. He needs to run alot to make his game work. His injury seems to have ruined his running ability. Right now he is a very bad QB.

Sanchez? Cimini is Right Ha ha.

it would be entertaining if a new GM came in, with total control and wanted Sanchez.

So no on Locker or Bradford because injuries and not playing well, but yes on RGIII even though it looks like one of his legs could snap off at any minute and he's been brutal when he hasn't been able to run because of said injuries? Really?

I think someone like Jake Locker would be perfect on a show me contract while grooming a high draft pick behind him.

No matter who, it is essential for the Jets to get a viable (read not Michael Vick) veteran QB in here so that whomever is drafted and whomever is coaching next season doesn't feel obligated to rush to play said draftee. Neither Sanchez nor Geno Smith were ready and could have used at least one year of learning and clipboard holding.

+1 on the bolded

Cutler isn't going anywhere.

I would take a chance on Bradford if the price was reasonable.  RGIII no fuggin way

I agree.  At this point RG3 is actually worse than Geno Smith and with his diva attitude I would be scared to pair him up with any young qb.  Bradford makes sense he's a better player and will be playing for a contract and whoever the young qb is will get to play anyway once Bradford gets injured.

Hoyer is a Neil O'Donnell clone and will want a multi-year deal.  Pass but as much as I'm not a big Hoyer guy I would easily prefer him over scrubs like Jake Locker and Mark Sanchez.

Because Jake Locker sucks and would actually be a downgrade over what we have now.

I am looking for the same type of QB that Petty is. Build the offense around them so once Petty is ready the offense doesnt change. I want the same skill type QBs on roster.

trading for RG III would be enormously stupid.  they will eventually waive him

hoyer will sign a big extension with the browns

manziel would be a disaster

so draft the best one I say

Haven't the Browns been winning of late in spite of Hoyer's shaky play? 

The thing about RGIII is you'd have to extend him for another year or two. He's still very young and if we traded for him as a one year audition and he has a good season, there's nothing to say he doesn't test the FA waters.

That's why the Harvin trade was such a head scratcher to me.

Haven't the Browns been winning of late in spite of Hoyer's shaky play? 

The thing about RGIII is you'd have to extend him for another year or two. He's still very young and if we traded for him as a one year audition and he has a good season, there's nothing to say he doesn't test the FA waters.

That's why the Harvin trade was such a head scratcher to me.

possibly, I haven't been following them too closely.  my comment was more a nod to him being a local kid making good

good point, RG III is basically radioactive, I wouldn't touch him with a 24 mile long pole

harvin was a desperation move.  he's a goner too

Matt Leinart might be an excellent choice. I read a bunch of suggestions and expert opinions somewhere on the internet almost begging and praying for the Jets to have drafted him in the first place so, obviously he must be a really good QB

Archived