Jameis Winston Perfect Fit For Jets

flgreen

Why Jameis Winston would be a perfect fit for Jets next season

By Kevin KernanNovember 29, 2014 | 1:03am

Jameis Winston would be a perfect fit for the Jets, The Post's Kevin Kernan writes.

Hopefully, the Jets’ starting quarterback next season is now at Florida State — Jameis Winston.

All you really need to know about Geno Smith and the faith his teammates have in him was uttered by linebacker Calvin Pace on Friday.

After Pace said he believed in Geno, he was asked why he believes in the young quarterback who got his starting job handed back to him this week, now that the season is officially a lost cause.

“I really don’t have a choice,’’ Pace said.

Give the man credit for being honest.

Jets fans don’t have a choice, either.

Coach Rex Ryan had no choice. This team was going nowhere with Michael Vick, who did not practice Friday because he was sick. Interesting timing, don’t you think?

It’s Geno or bust now and bust is not a bad thing if it brings Winston to the Jets in the next draft. That’s exactly what Jets fans should be rooting for — that the team continues to lose Monday night at MetLife Stadium against the Dolphins and winds up picking Winston in the draft, despite his heavy baggage.

Winston’s issues might get him ready for the dysfunctional world of being a Jet.

After all, when you’re a Jet, you’re a Jet all the way.

For all his troubles off the field, on the field Winston has proven to be a leader.

Winston is big and strong in a Ben Roethlisberger kind of way, and keeps his composure on the field — for the most part. Character counts in a big way in football, and the hope is Winston has learned from his many mistakes and terrible decisions and that his character improves, but like everything else in the NFL, this is a football decision. It always comes down to football.

Oregon’s Marcus Mariota is well ahead of Winston in the character department, he has a cleaner release and is the better runner, but the NFL upside on Winston is higher, I believe. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, Winston can take a hit and can hang in the pocket to really deliver the ball.

Mariota is 6-foot-4, 219 pounds, but Winston is a beast.

Nevertheless, either quarterback is so much better than what the Jets have now.

Winston has arm strength similar to Andrew Luck’s. He is a difference maker. The Jets need a difference maker.

Ryan has had to go through the development of Mark Sanchez, who is getting the last laugh with the Eagles, and now Smith, but Rex doesn’t figure to be around next season, so the next young Jets quarterback will be someone else’s problem.

Neither Geno Smith (right) nor Michael Vick should be the Jets quarterback in 2015, and if possible, Gang Green should grab Jameis Winston in the NFL Draft, The

If Winston doesn’t change his ways, he could become the next Ryan Leaf, the ultimate quarterback draft bust, but I believe he has much more talent and self-confidence than Leaf ever had when he was drafted by the Chargers with the second pick in 1998. The Colts took Peyton Manning No. 1.

Winston has worked extensively with quarterback guru George Whitfield Jr., and that is a big plus.

As for Smith, the Jets are handing him the job back only because they are 2-9.

The Jets have nothing to lose and losing helps them in the big draft picture. Of course, general manager John Idzik has failed miserably in the draft.

Winston is a huge risk, but a risk worth taking if the Jets are ever going to fill this quarterback sinkhole.

For his part, Smith said he feels a lot better the second time around at quarterback this season.

“Just an overall understanding of the game, our offense, everything,’’ he said after Friday’s practice. “But, obviously, you’ve got to go out there and prove it on the field.’’

Prove it to yourself, the fans and, most of all, to your teammates or your next team.

The Jets must move forward and snare a new quarterback in the draft. Winston and Mariota will be out there waiting. But the Jets need to take a chance on Winston.

Go for the Garnet and Gold and finally, put your quarterback problems behind you.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not if we ever want to change this culture. We need to start making the right picks.

We don't know what kind of coach we will have our his style hell might not even know what are oc's style is assuming marty gets canned. Why not go with someone like mariotta who is not going to make waves.

The Jets don't need Winston and his distractions bringing another circus to New York.  Everyone seems to agree that Mariota's work ethic and character are top-notch.  That's who we need to draft if we go QB early.  And he needs to sit behind an established veteran, or at the very least engage in a true QB competition with one, rather than being handed the job like Sanchez and Smith were.

Do it. Passing on character question quarterbacks is the story of our life. Do it.

I agree. A lot of the accusations seem to be media created. The sexual assault one, I don't know about one way or the other. It an odd story. have to see how it plays out. The signature signing for money has pretty well been debunked. The point shaving is total BS. The source is Incarcerated Bob. What's amazing about that story is that some of the major scribes ran with it, knowing it came from Bob. The crab legs thing he is guilty of. The local story is that the Publix store, was turning a blind eye to FSU players helping themselves to groceries. Very common in college towns all over the country. A security guy didn't get the memo. Whatever, he shouldn't have done it.

I agree that right now he seems to be a trouble magnet. he also just turned 21.

I should hate the guy, I'm a Canes fan, but every time I see him play, which is almost every week, I come away impressed, with his arm strength, and his poise under pressure. He is very popular with his team mates, and a team leader for a guy so young.

His negatives as a football player IMO is that he has a very strong arm, but tries to over use it at times and put the ball where it doesn't belong. He needs work on his foot work, often throws off his back foot relying on his arm strength, the above results in to many turn overs.

With that said he seems to always stay composed, and find a way to win in the end. I'll have to see how he plays in the the playoffs before going all in with the kid, but in all honesty the comparisons to Big Ben seem legit.

Think he has the most upside of any QB in this draft including Mariota, who I would also be very happy with

how smart is this kid all I see is Geno part 2 great arm cant read a D no thanks I say go for the duck.

George Whitfield Jr, who was Andrew Luck's personal qb tutor at Stanford and is now doing the same job for Winston, says Winston has the same football IQ as Luck.  But hey, I'm sure you know more than a coach who personally worked with both of them.

how smart is this kid all I see is Geno part 2 great arm cant read a D no thanks I say go for the duck.

Smith's and Winston's game are nothing alike. Under pressure Smith will run 30 yards in the wrong direction. Winston will shrug off a DE, or run over him.

Smith had never played under center. Winston plays in a Pro style O

Smith's and Winston's game are nothing alike. Under pressure Smith will run 30 yards in the wrong direction. Winston will shrug off a DE, or run over him.

Smith had never played under center. Winston plays in a Pro style O

The ignorance of people who hate Jameis Winston is so hysterical.  Ok if you don't like him as a person fine but his on the field ability is beyond question and Winston is NOTHING like the QB's I keep hearing people compare him too.  Jamarcus Russell had no accuracy, was out of shape and weighed 300lbs in college.  Winston has accuracy and touch on his throws, is in excellent shape and can actually read a defense.  Geno Smith my ass that guy sucks because he did not play in a pro-style offense in West Virginia and guess what kind of offense Mariota plays in at Oregon.  Leftwich?  LOL Leftwich could never stay healthy even in college.  Winston is durable and also has a way quicker release than Leftwich.

The Jameis Winston-haters can keep bringing up every mediocre NFL qb who has ever existed to try to declare it impossible that he ever be good in the NFL.  That's rubbish.

That was my first thought as well. Of course the media wants jameis. With rex leaving they need someone to make this place a circus. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Twitter poll from Mehta endorsing the drafting of Winston.

This. NY beat writers are gonna lobby hard for us to draft this bust in order to keep the 'circus' narrative alive.

Just dropped some $ on the Florida ML @ +260…Winston's gonna sh*t the bed today against a 6-4 SEC team, just watch.

George Whitfield Jr, who was Andrew Luck's personal qb tutor at Stanford and is now doing the same job for Winston, says Winston has the same football IQ as Luck.  But hey, I'm sure you know more than a coach who personally worked with both of them.

If I'm looking for an objective opinion on a draft prospect, I too would look at a guy that that prospect is paying.

Hey I'm sure you are more familiar with Jameis Winston than a guy who knows him personally and sees everything he does in practice and in the games.

I'm not commenting on Winston at all.  I'm commenting on the notion that we should listen to a guy that Jamies Winston is paying for an objective on Jamies Winston.

I'm not commenting on Winston at all.  I'm commenting on the notion that we should listen to a guy that Jamies Winston is paying for an objective on Jamies Winston.

Oh ok.  I guess we should research out a more intelligent opinion on Jameis Winston from a guy like Skip Bayless or Ron Jaworski.

What like the 26 straight games Winston has won in college?  George Whitfield Jr disagrees with you so obviously he must be wrong.

What's my opinion on Winston again?  Clearly you're aware of it based on your responses to me.  Thanks for taking my call... I'm going to hang up and listen.

What's my opinion on Winston again?  Clearly you're aware of it based on your responses to me.  Thanks for taking my call... I'm going to hang up and listen.

Hey man it's cool.  I'm sure Idzik agrees with you and will trade for RGIII and take some scrub in the 3rd or 4th round to be the backup/developmental qb next year.  Watch out Brady and Belichick.

Why Jameis Winston would be a perfect fit for Jets next season

By Kevin KernanNovember 29, 2014 | 1:03am

Jameis Winston would be a perfect fit for the Jets, The Post's Kevin Kernan writes.

Hopefully, the Jets’ starting quarterback next season is now at Florida State — Jameis Winston.

All you really need to know about Geno Smith and the faith his teammates have in him was uttered by linebacker Calvin Pace on Friday.

After Pace said he believed in Geno, he was asked why he believes in the young quarterback who got his starting job handed back to him this week, now that the season is officially a lost cause.

“I really don’t have a choice,’’ Pace said.

Give the man credit for being honest.

Jets fans don’t have a choice, either.

Coach Rex Ryan had no choice. This team was going nowhere with Michael Vick, who did not practice Friday because he was sick. Interesting timing, don’t you think?

It’s Geno or bust now and bust is not a bad thing if it brings Winston to the Jets in the next draft. That’s exactly what Jets fans should be rooting for — that the team continues to lose Monday night at MetLife Stadium against the Dolphins and winds up picking Winston in the draft, despite his heavy baggage.

Winston’s issues might get him ready for the dysfunctional world of being a Jet.

After all, when you’re a Jet, you’re a Jet all the way.

For all his troubles off the field, on the field Winston has proven to be a leader.

Winston is big and strong in a Ben Roethlisberger kind of way, and keeps his composure on the field — for the most part. Character counts in a big way in football, and the hope is Winston has learned from his many mistakes and terrible decisions and that his character improves, but like everything else in the NFL, this is a football decision. It always comes down to football.

Oregon’s Marcus Mariota is well ahead of Winston in the character department, he has a cleaner release and is the better runner, but the NFL upside on Winston is higher, I believe. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, Winston can take a hit and can hang in the pocket to really deliver the ball.

Mariota is 6-foot-4, 219 pounds, but Winston is a beast.

Nevertheless, either quarterback is so much better than what the Jets have now.

Winston has arm strength similar to Andrew Luck’s. He is a difference maker. The Jets need a difference maker.

Ryan has had to go through the development of Mark Sanchez, who is getting the last laugh with the Eagles, and now Smith, but Rex doesn’t figure to be around next season, so the next young Jets quarterback will be someone else’s problem.

Neither Geno Smith (right) nor Michael Vick should be the Jets quarterback in 2015, and if possible, Gang Green should grab Jameis Winston in the NFL Draft, The

If Winston doesn’t change his ways, he could become the next Ryan Leaf, the ultimate quarterback draft bust, but I believe he has much more talent and self-confidence than Leaf ever had when he was drafted by the Chargers with the second pick in 1998. The Colts took Peyton Manning No. 1.

Winston has worked extensively with quarterback guru George Whitfield Jr., and that is a big plus.

As for Smith, the Jets are handing him the job back only because they are 2-9.

The Jets have nothing to lose and losing helps them in the big draft picture. Of course, general manager John Idzik has failed miserably in the draft.

Winston is a huge risk, but a risk worth taking if the Jets are ever going to fill this quarterback sinkhole.

For his part, Smith said he feels a lot better the second time around at quarterback this season.

“Just an overall understanding of the game, our offense, everything,’’ he said after Friday’s practice. “But, obviously, you’ve got to go out there and prove it on the field.’’

Prove it to yourself, the fans and, most of all, to your teammates or your next team.

The Jets must move forward and snare a new quarterback in the draft. Winston and Mariota will be out there waiting. But the Jets need to take a chance on Winston.

Go for the Garnet and Gold and finally, put your quarterback problems behind you.

As long as Rex isn't around to screw him up I think Winston will be fine. Just hide the Flight Crew girls.

really what do you think he is going to say?? no this kid sucks!! please watch tape. he is good but they are playing against so so teams and just getting by, he will be another bust or in prison withen 2 or 3years in the nfl

The ignorance of people who hate Jameis Winston is so hysterical.  Ok if you don't like him as a person fine but his on the field ability is beyond question and Winston is NOTHING like the QB's I keep hearing people compare him too.  Jamarcus Russell had no accuracy, was out of shape and weighed 300lbs in college.  Winston has accuracy and touch on his throws, is in excellent shape and can actually read a defense.  Geno Smith my ass that guy sucks because he did not play in a pro-style offense in West Virginia and guess what kind of offense Mariota plays in at Oregon.  Leftwich?  LOL Leftwich could never stay healthy even in college.  Winston is durable and also has a way quicker release than Leftwich.

The Jameis Winston-haters can keep bringing up every mediocre NFL qb who has ever existed to try to declare it impossible that he ever be good in the NFL.  That's rubbish.

hard to play and show your "ability" when suspended or in prison wich is where he is going.he is coming out this year because they are going to kick him out of school next year.

Do it. Passing on character question quarterbacks is the story of our life. Do it.

agreed.. if the jets are in position to draft winston or mariota i'm now in favor of taking winston.. it would be crushing to pass on winston & watch him become a a really good NFL QB.. roll the dice NY jets.. be bold, not safe..

agreed.. if the jets are in position to draft winston or mariota i'm now in favor of taking winston.. it would be crushing to pass on winston & watch him become a a really good NFL QB.. roll the dice NY jets.. be bold, not safe..

Every one keeps saying how safe the Mariota pick is, I don't see it. He is playing out of an offense that is very far from what NFL teams run, I think he could easily go bust.

I don't know. You guys know so much more about football than me. But after twenty years I am so ******* tired. Tired of wasting my youth as my friends teams win the SB. The _______ Seakawks! Sick of going to Oakland and getting my ass kicked. Now there's a great QB from MY school who might play for the Jets. I don't see what we'd lose in drafting him.

I agree. A lot of the accusations seem to be media created. The sexual assault one, I don't know about one way or the other. It an odd story. have to see how it plays out. The signature signing for money has pretty well been debunked. The point shaving is total BS. The source is Incarcerated Bob. What's amazing about that story is that some of the major scribes ran with it, knowing it came from Bob. The crab legs thing he is guilty of. The local story is that the Publix store, was turning a blind eye to FSU players helping themselves to groceries. Very common in college towns all over the country. A security guy didn't get the memo. Whatever, he shouldn't have done it.

I agree that right now he seems to be a trouble magnet. he also just turned 21.

I should hate the guy, I'm a Canes fan, but every time I see him play, which is almost every week, I come away impressed, with his arm strength, and his poise under pressure. He is very popular with his team mates, and a team leader for a guy so young.

His negatives as a football player IMO is that he has a very strong arm, but tries to over use it at times and put the ball where it doesn't belong. He needs work on his foot work, often throws off his back foot relying on his arm strength, the above results in to many turn overs.

With that said he seems to always stay composed, and find a way to win in the end. I'll have to see how he plays in the the playoffs before going all in with the kid, but in all honesty the comparisons to Big Ben seem legit.

Think he has the most upside of any QB in this draft including Mariota, who I would also be very happy with

I'm really not impressed with Jameis on the field this year, but yeah his off the field stuff is BS. I agree with that. I also agree with the fact that really does have all the tools for a pocket passer, but I really continue to question that with these close games against nobodys. I think he actually might be shaving points because of how good he was last year lol. Interesting situation.

Definitely a leader, so much potential. Need to see the rest of the season for a final verdict of him. 

I'm really not impressed with Jameis on the field this year, but yeah his off the field stuff is BS. I agree with that. I also agree with the fact that really does have all the tools for a pocket passer, but I really continue to question that with these close games against nobodys. I think he actually might be shaving points because of how good he was last year lol. Interesting situation.

Definitely a leader, so much potential. Need to see the rest of the season for a final verdict of him.

FSU is the National Champion, and undefeated so far this year, but they just aren't as good as they were last year. Plus Winston has had a high ankle sprain for most of the year. IMO the reason they are undefeated is because Winston finds ways at the end of games to pull them out.

I just don't buy the idea that Winston is intentionaly letting teams hey 10+ points on FSU, and jeopardizing millions of dollars that an early 1st rounder might get, for a couple of hundred dollars. Particularly with all the heat that's on him right now.

Your aware that the source of point shaving crap was none other then Incarcerated Bob?

This. NY beat writers are gonna lobby hard for us to draft this bust in order to keep the 'circus' narrative alive.

Just dropped some $ on the Florida ML @ +260…Winston's gonna sh*t the bed today against a 6-4 SEC team, just watch.

Gators lose by 2 TDs. They can't make plays.

Archived