Introduce Yourself

Maxman

I will go first...

My real name is Phil. I am not sure why I picked Maxman. Needed a username when I started posting on another Jets board in 2003 :)  I remember spending about 20 seconds on the thought process. Before then, I would only sign up on a board to do something stupid. I usually made a few dumb posts and then got asked to leave lol.  But on this other Jets board, I can't remember the name -- I liked it. I had read the site and thought I might want to stick around.  So I needed a name but I didn't want something with a player name because I figured when they left the team the name would seem silly.

I picked Maxman and I still have no idea why. People say to me all the time, hey Max. Every single time I tell them my name is Phil.  Oh well, I will try to work that out with my therapist. I guess I never imagined running a site and having people read my posts. If I could do it over again, I would give the name selection process a bit more than 20 seconds.

More importantly, I have been a Jets fan my whole life. I was born in 1969 so I wasn't around for Super Bowl III. The first time I remember being really upset with the Jets was during the Mud Bowl loss in Miami.  Plenty of disappointment after that as well. I got season tickets in 1988 and started going to the games with my Dad. The stadium during the Joe Walton days was hysterical (in hindsight). My Dad went to games with me for a long time, eventually he had enough. We always had a blast though; that is what I learned from those Jets losses. You can still bond with family and friends even during the bad Jets times. So now my son goes with me...funny how the time flies, he started going with me when he was 5.  He is 19 years old now.

Looking forward to the Jets getting their act together. Hopefully the next coach makes the Walton's, Kotie's, Edwards, Coslet's and Ryan's of the world seem like a distant memory.

• Upvote 2

I too started on this other Jets board. I was there for a very long time. Through the years I had clashed with this board's owner. Nothing serious, mind you, as most of the time they were over trivial topics. But he did not appreciate the fact that I dared to argue with him on his site so fervently. These disputes often led to me being banned for short periods of time. Eventually he couldn't handle it anymore, and made my time out permanent.

In hindsight I should thank him. Because it made me come here. I've been much happier since.

As for my origin as a Jets fan, I became one for two reasons. One was because my father came to this country when he was 17, in 1968. Joe Namath was all the rage, and Dad liked the Jets because of him. So I kind of followed his direction.

The second (and more important reason) was because my older brother loves the Giants to death, and going with the Jets was going against him. I sure showed him, didn't I?

I just want to say I'm real happy to see many former JIers on here. However let's let the past stay in the past. As much as I liked JI, the Powers That Be allowed it to become a toxic environment that really became detrimental to the board's overall experience. Let's not allow that to happen here. This is a good place, with good people. Keep the vitriol and personal attacks away.

• Upvote 2

My name is Allen and I am a sportswriter in Elizabethton, Tennessee, the home of Jason Witten whom I covered in high school. I am originally from Bristol, CT and I have been a Jets fan since 1968 when I was 12 years old. My stepdad was a big Giants fan and was trying to make me one as well, but our old TV had a antennae on the roof and in bad weather the channel the Giants games were on always had bad reception. Not the channel the AFL games were on. That came in crystal clear, and I became enamored with AFL football. They threw long all the time and Joe Namath looked so damn cool with his white shoes and cannon arm - I fell in love. And they rewarded me with a huge upset win over the Colts in the SB - then called the AFL-NFL Championship game. I am still waiting for their return as we all are. It seems the Jets are further away from that pinnacle as ever and I pray that Woody Johnson - another lame owner - can do the right thing and clean his house.

I too started on this other Jets board. I was there for a very long time. Through the years I had clashed with this board's owner. Nothing serious, mind you, as most of the time they were over trivial topics. But he did not appreciate the fact that I dared to argue with him on his site so fervently. These disputes often led to me being banned for short periods of time. Eventually he couldn't handle it anymore, and made my time out permanent.

In hindsight I should thank him. Because it made me come here. I've been much happier since.

As for my origin as a Jets fan, I became one for two reasons. One was because my father came to this country when he was 17, in 1968. Joe Namath was all the rage, and Dad liked the Jets because of him. So I kind of followed his direction.

The second (and more important reason) was because my older brother loves the Giants to death, and going with the Jets was going against him. I sure showed him, didn't I?

I just want to say I'm real happy to see many former JIers on here. However let's let the past stay in the past. As much as I liked JI, the Powers That Be allowed it to become a toxic environment that really became detrimental to the board's overall experience. Let's not allow that to happen here. This is a good place, with good people. Keep the vitriol and personal attacks away.

I used to post at ganggreen.com and that also became toxic with personal attacks. Also the moderator played favorites to the point where I just blew up and called them all m-f ers and worse getting a lifetime ban. Didn't care. Here people can have a difference of opinion and it doesn't get personal. I am all for that.

Dan here.  Live in Westchester, NY but born on Long Island so cursed to be a Mets/Jets fan along with the Knicks since I was a kid in '69-'70 when they were all great at the same time.  Been here a while but a hearty hello to all the immigrants coming over from JI.

My favorite JN moment so far was meeting a bunch of guys, including Max, at the Jets training facility for a flag football game a few years back.  My son still talks about it and wants to know if we're ever doing it again.  Even if it's just a pickup game somewhere next fall, I think it would be a great idea.

True fact:  I am turning 50 today but a voice told me I would live to see the Jets win another SB so I'm not feeling my age at all.

Steve here

Live in the Apple, NYer all my life other than the two years my Uncle (Sam) sent me on an all expenses paid vacation to Waynesville, Missouri, Lawton, OK and Pleiku City, VN.

First Jet game Thanksgiving 1960 vs Dallas Texans at Polo Grounds. Repeated the next year vs Raiders and then first ever Jet home game vs Oilers in 1963

STH since 1974,.now sitting in the LSL good seats

Joined the Nation in 2012 and having trouble understanding why I just didn't stay here

Thanks Max for this terrific shore for our refugee boats to land. Really the only place to go. Biggest difference I notice is way fewer Pat trolls here (other than the greatest of them all, the Great TX) Mostly good Jet fans here which is a big difference. And also NO hideous politics

Looking forward to all of us cheering the Jets on to Maxman's first ever Super Bowl Championship. ...hopefully not as far away as it seems right now

Been posting on JI for a long time, now they are closing I needed a new home and JN became a surrogate until I started helping this new website. I always wanted be there from the start now I get the chance, but will continue to post at JN because Max has been so cool and besides I might have to pick his brain more. lol

became a jets fan because my step-dad was a Giants/Mets fan I was a young newly teen and step-dads yeah right I knew it all so I became a Jets/Yankees fan. At least I got one right.

Waynesville, Missouri

Spent two months there myself. Lost in the Woods, Misery.

I'm Thorsten, I was born in Germany but grew up on the east end of Long Island.

Wasn't a huge football fan until my friends brother started playing for the Jets. Started watching for him, and fell in love with the team. I hate that a$$hole for doing that to me.

Oh, and I like dudes.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

My name's Larz, and I'm a bad guy. Uh, let's see... I'm nine feet tall, I weigh six hundred and forty three pounds, got a bit of a temper on me. My passion level's very near the surface, I guess, not gonna lie. Anyhoo, what else, uh... I'm a wrecker. I wreck things, professionally. I mean, I'm very good at what I do. Probably the best I know. Thing is, fixing's the name of the game. Literally. Fix-It Felix Jr. So yeah, naturally, the guy with the name Fix-It Felix is the good guy. He's nice enough as good guys go. Definitely fixes stuff really well. But, uh, if you got a magic hammer from your father, how hard can it be? If he was a regular contractor, carpenter guy, I guarantee you, you will not be able to fix the damage that I do as quickly. When Felix does a good job, he gets a medal. But, are there medals for wrecking stuff really well? To that, I say, ha! And no, there aren't. For thirty years I have been doing this, and I have seen a lot of other games come and go, how sad. Think about those guys at Asteroids? Boom, gone. Centipede? Who knows where that guy is, you know? Look, a steady arcade gig is nothing to sneeze at, I'm very lucky. It's just, I gotta say, it becomes kinda hard to love your job... when no one else seems to like you for doing it. 

We have a lot of new posters. We have a lot of long time posters. Can't remember if we had a thread like this recently. But who are you? When did you become a Jets fan? Tell us about yourself...

Southparkcpa...posted at JetsInsider since 2005. 20,000 posts or so. Friggin ridiculous. From LI, Pace University, live in Charlotte NC.

Co-founder of www.charlottejetsfans.com

Former JI poster/lurker.  

Like so many, I am forever grateful to sg3 for his insightful, and wholly informative, take on the NY Jets and associated fan sites.  It is not an exaggeration to say that his presence (in written word) has allowed me to navigate through the turbulent waters of my life.  

Simply stated, I am here because sg3 is here.

PatsFanTx here

I'm a Bucs fan who lives in Butte, Montana.

I bring the most football knowledge and objectivity than any other poster on the board.

TX is and always has been the best of the trolls.

Big dropoff to second place

And an Grand Canyon sized drop down to the tie for WORST between Vinny/Gronk/Guido and a Fat Fruit 2 pathetic to even be mentioned by name

Glenn...38  years old and became a Jet fan somewhere around 11-12 years old so a little over 25 years as a fan.  Picked the Jets because I was from NYC and my uncles loved the Yankees and Jets...I followed suit.  Also didn't want to be bandwagon and pick the Giants and Mets who had just won rings.  Amazed sometimes when I look at the history of this team and just how bad they are.  One of the worst run organizations in professional sports...love 'em and hate 'em.

Section 333 here. Picked that name since I used to sit in 333. Now I sit in 344. Also have seats in Mezzanine Endzone that I use from time to time. I have been a Jet fan since I was in middle school. I grew up in NJ but my father was a big Cowboys fan, so I picked the jets as my local team. I am also a huge Yankees and Nets fan. Can't complain too much with all the success I've had from my baseball team. My heart goes out to all the met/jet fans. I go to about 90% of all games for about 10 years now. Tailgating is unfortunately the best part of going, although our Jets do have their moments. I met Phil once at tailgate joes, he's a super nice guy as most of jet nation is. I will continue to plan mu Sundays Mondays Thursdays around this inept Organization. Like most of us I just can't look away from this train wreck that is the Jets.

• Upvote 1

Section 333 here. Picked that name since I used to sit in 333. Now I sit in 344. Also have seats in Mezzanine Endzone that I use from time to time. I have been a Jet fan since I was in middle school. I grew up in NJ but my father was a big Cowboys fan, so I picked the jets as my local team. I am also a huge Yankees and Nets fan. Can't complain too much with all the success I've had from my baseball team. My heart goes out to all the met/jet fans. I go to about 90% of all games for about 10 years now. Tailgating is unfortunately the best part of going, although our Jets do have their moments. I met Phil once at tailgate joes, he's a super nice guy as most of jet nation is. I will continue to plan mu Sundays Mondays Thursdays around this inept Organization. Like most of us I just can't look away from this train wreck that is the Jets.

Don't go spreading rumors!  :)

Hi, my name is James. I chose Joe as my screen name because I'm a huge Joe Perry fan. I've been a member here since dec. 30, 2007, the night we lost to the Chiefs. I got home from the game was still drunk and was looking for a place to chat jets football. Biggest mistake of my life. I'm the worst moderator on the site and quite frankly I'm not sure why I still am allowed to see buttons that the rest of you arent.

I've been a fan since 1994 because my dad could get jets tickets from his company but not the Giants ones that he wanted. Now I have season tickets in sec. 104.

I'm honestly to the point where I don't ever expect to see this team win a championship and I've learned to live with it. I still get upset when we lose each week, but my job sucks so much worse than the jets that the team is the least of my worries in life. Does it make me a bad fan? Sure, but I don't care nearly as much as I used to.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

• Upvote 4