Think NFL teams tank games for draft picks?

jgb

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

watch this video from inside jaguars locker room after they knocked off giants.

http://now.nfl.com/play/9e6c3b27-c42d-4ed1-914e-430cf9fb10ed?id=9e6c3b27-c42d-4ed1-914e-430cf9fb10ed

in a lost season the opportunity to teach a team to fight through adversity is more valuable than a couple draft spots imho

yeah. FO types may think about it, or hope for it, by on the level of the CS and the players, no way. Their jobs, and there pride is at stake.

What the FO can do to tank a season is, you know, put an inferior QB out there, when the best chance of winning is playing a popular vet. It disheartens the team, and they say things like, I support him because I have no choice

http://now.nfl.com/play/9e6c3b27-c42d-4ed1-914e-430cf9fb10ed?id=9e6c3b27-c42d-4ed1-914e-430cf9fb10ed

in a lost season the opportunity to teach a team to fight through adversity is more valuable than a couple draft spots imho

JAX has what they consider their QB of the future so everything they do this season is building towards that future.   

Take a look at 2011 Indianapolis when they sucked for luck. 

yeah. FO types may think about it, or hope for it, by on the level of the CS and the players, no way. Their jobs, and there pride is at stake.

What the FO can do to tank a season is, you know, put an inferior QB out there, when the best chance of winning is playing a popular vet. It disheartens the team, and they say things like, I support him because I have no choice

JAX has what they consider their QB of the future so everything they do this season is building towards that future.   

the HC and GM both got canned in Indy for sucking--if such a thing was done on purpose, who instructed them to do it? The owner, who then fired him for doing it? The GM, who was then fired by the owner for doing it?

Indy is a perfect example of why team don't suck on purpose--even if it's "good" to do, you still pay with your job.

I said this in another thread and got ridiculed by the ilk for it.  Players need to learn how to win. Especially young teams, like the Jags and the Jets.

The idea of tanking a season is ridiculous fan talk that doesnt actually happen.  These guys go through hell to play in the NFL.  Some of these guys have been fighting their whole life to get a roster spot, finally get their chance and know damn well, its now or never.  You think they're going out their playing "soft" and "tanking" for the betterment of a team they might not even play for next season?  No.  

First off, its the NFL.  If you go soft, you get hurt.  If you get beat, its on tape for ever.  These guys have their careers, their next contract, their reputation, along with just a roster spot to think about.  They didnt spend an entire offseason preparing, practicing every week, endless meetings, endless conditioning just to go out and tank on Sunday. 

I could see a GM trying to by benching, trading, cutting their best players...and just playing scrubs but still.  Those scrubs are battling for a roster spot or to be seen and make a name.  They're not out their "tanking".  You really think you can sell a team on tanking for the possibility of high draft pick who may or may not workout?  No.

Indy was decimated by injuries and never cared about backing up Peyton with talent and paid for it when they had to start Curtis Painter.  No Head Coach, player or GM wants a 1 win season on their record.

And like JGB pointed out, people lost their job for it. 

I said this in another thread and got ridiculed by the ilk for it.  Players need to learn how to win. Especially young teams, like the Jags and the Jets.

The idea of tanking a season is ridiculous fan talk that doesnt actually happen.  These guys go through hell to play in the NFL.  Some of these guys have been fighting their whole life to get a roster spot, finally get their chance and know damn well, its now or never.  You think they're going out their playing "soft" and "tanking" for the betterment of a team they might not even play for next season?  No.  

First off, its the NFL.  If you got soft, you get hurt.  If you get beat, its on tape for ever.  These guys have their careers, their next contract, their reputation, along with just a roster spot to think about.  They didnt spend an entire offseason preparing, practicing every week, endless meetings, endless conditioning just to go out and tank on Sunday. 

I could see a GM trying to by benching, trading, cutting their best players...and just playing scrubs but still.  Those scrubs are battling for a roster spot They're not out their "tanking".  You really think you can sell a team on tanking for the possibility of high draft pick who may or may not workout?  No.

closest thing you can call "tanking" is when HCs call it fast and loss sometimes after a season is done. do a surprise on-sides kick, go for it on 4th down more often, etc.

Indy was decimated by injuries and never cared about backing up Peyton with talent and paid for it when they had to start Curtis Painter.  No Head Coach, player or GM wants a 1 win season on their record.

And like JGB pointed out, people lost their job for it. 

The players and coaches will never 'tank' a season or a game; however, at this point in a lost season it's time to get some of the younger players some experience and start the evaluation process for 2015.   If they win, great.  if not, who cares?  

The Jets should be giving time to IK Ekmapali, Simms, Enunwa, and any other young player they want to evaluate.   These guys aren't even active on game day.   Are they really that bad?   or, is there just a veteran in front of them that is taking their reps?  

the season is lost, it's time to look to the future.  that means the best 22 may not be on the field which is really what tanking is.  

The players and coaches will never 'tank' a season or a game; however, at this point in a lost season it's time to get some of the younger players some experience and start the evaluation process for 2015.   If they win, great.  if not, who cares?  

The Jets should be giving time to IK Ekmapali, Simms, Enunwa, and any other young player they want to evaluate.   These guys aren't even active on game day.   Are they really that bad?   or, is there just a veteran in front of them that is taking their reps?  

the season is lost, it's time to look to the future.  that means the best 22 may not be on the field which is really what tanking is.  

agree with you but that will only happen when the HC has job security. rex wants as few losses on his resume as possible.

by the way... if rex wins out the year he is over .500 as an HC by 1 game. believe me he wants that.

agree with you but that will only happen when the HC has job security. rex wants as few losses on his resume as possible.

by the way... if rex wins out the year he is over .500 as an HC by 1 game. believe me he wants that.

Rex is toeing the company line and positioning himself as a good company man for his next gig.  

You can tell that the blame game has already started (again btw) and Rex is in full CYA mode.   I don't think the record changes anything at this point but the franchise benefits from both playing young guys and losing.   Call it want you want but that should be the mindset inside Jets HQ. 

How about the premise where a head coach is TOLD who his starting QB will be on an upcoming MNF game against the team's most hated rival who are vying for a playoff slot? Oh I know it's a far-fetched unimaginable scenario to actually think that a team would bench a veteran QB who had been playing pretty good and replace him with the player that was benched that he replaced...now THAT would never happen....unless you are the 2014 New York Jets and Mister INT himself; Geno Smith is starting tonight. 

Rex is toeing the company line and positioning himself as a good company man for his next gig.  

You can tell that the blame game has already started (again btw) and Rex is in full CYA mode.   I don't think the record changes anything at this point but the franchise benefits from both playing young guys and losing.   Call it want you want but that should be the mindset inside Jets HQ. 

yeah it should be. problem is the GM is on the hot seat too and is also in "get as many wins as possible" mode. that's one of reasons teams fire HCs mid-season.

How about the premise where a head coach is TOLD who his starting QB will be on an upcoming MNF game against the team's most hated rival who are vying for a playoff slot? Oh I know it's a far-fetched unimaginable scenario to actually think that a team would bench a veteran QB who had been playing pretty good and replace him with the player that was benched that he replaced...now THAT would never happen....unless you are the 2014 New York Jets and Mister INT himself; Geno Smith is starting tonight. 

idzik isn't fit to judge a junior high talent show

You think the Colts tanked on purpose?

Then please explain to me why they fired both their GM and HC after the season in which they were allegedly tanking?

I completely agree with this.

I think the fact that Willie Colon and Calvin Pace are still on the field is telling. If Idzik felt secure in his job, he'd have canned Rex, and forced the interim coach to play the young guys. That's how you salvage what's left of a lost season.

Instead, Rex is still here, and older players who will gone next year are taking valuable reps away from the young pups. Idzik hasn't stepped in, which makes me think he's worried.

YES

the HC and GM both got canned in Indy for sucking--if such a thing was done on purpose, who instructed them to do it? The owner, who then fired him for doing it? The GM, who was then fired by the owner for doing it?

Indy is a perfect example of why team don't suck on purpose--even if it's "good" to do, you still pay with your job.

I thought that was pretty obvious. On paper it does the team no good to win. But the coach in particular, who's getting fired, wants his career record in his prior stop to be better rather than worse.  Otherwise the only benefit he can point to is to say, "See? Even when I knew I was getting canned I still did the franchise a (long-term) solid by tanking for better draft picks in a no-win situation." I suppose a new GM would appreciate that, in some fantasy scenario that doesn't exist. Seems it will do said coach (or GM) more to have a better overall record heading into interview season.

Makes me think that Idzik is returning. Otherwise why would he want the team to lose more? Assuming he shares the belief that the team is more likely to win games with Vick in the final month, one could argue he just wants to give his draft pick 5 more starts. But there's nothing that will happen over the final month that will - or that should - alter the offseason goal of acquiring a new QB. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit, but I think Idzik realizes this by now. If they score 40 ppg the rest of the way behind a great passing attack with Geno still in there (lol) he still needs to get the best QB he can get his hands on this offseason.

If Idzik really thought he was getting fired, he'd want the team to win more games for any future potential GM job (that will never materialize ever if he's fired after these 2 seasons here).  Ryan can't be excited to have Geno in there, so it's believable that the call came from above I suppose. (It's also believable that the order was not given, and Ryan wants to take Idzik down with him and believes starting Geno is the best way to have that happen). The former seems more likely, so I think Idzik wants the better draft picks and therefore gave the order.

No way of knowing for certain either way. But that's my guess as of today, having heard or read none of the rumors so far.

Ryan can't be excited to have Geno in there, so it's believable that the call came from above I suppose. (It's also believable that the order was not given, and Ryan wants to take Idzik down with him and believes starting Geno is the best way to have that happen). The former seems more likely, so I think Idzik wants the better draft picks and therefore gave the order.

No way of knowing for certain either way. But that's my guess as of today, having heard or read none of the rumors so far.

Idzik also seeing if Geno can serve as a backup

Idzik also seeing if Geno can serve as a backup

Could be, I suppose, but that's getting decided in camp next summer, not December of the prior year. If we take a QB high, the #2 will be (or should be) a so-so veteran should the rookie show he's ready. If some good veteran QB who's expected to start for the next 2-3 years minimum materializes, and for some inexplicable reason he chooses the Jets, then his backup should be a rookie (or at best a rookie battles it out with Geno). But Geno's not solidifying even the #2 job no matter what happens the last 5 games. Or he shouldn't, anyway. We already went down that road after Dec 2013; fool me once & all that.

Really, if one is thinking upside of playing him, IMO it's to entice another team into giving up a better low-round pick for him in trade. Someone who liked him coming out of school and think his failures are the fault of his surroundings and that he might be salvageable as a starter. Skeletor used to pick up other teams' fairly recent high pick busts on the cheap, thinking his genius could make them the players they were thought to be when scouted.

Could be, I suppose, but that's getting decided in camp next summer, not December of the prior year. If we take a QB high, the #2 will be (or should be) a so-so veteran should the rookie show he's ready. If some good veteran QB who's expected to start for the next 2-3 years minimum materializes, and for some inexplicable reason he chooses the Jets, then his backup should be a rookie (or at best a rookie battles it out with Geno). But Geno's not solidifying even the #2 job no matter what happens the last 5 games. Or he shouldn't, anyway. We already went down that road after Dec 2013; fool me once & all that.

Really, if one is thinking upside of playing him, IMO it's to entice another team into giving up a better low-round pick for him in trade. Someone who liked him coming out of school and think his failures are the fault of his surroundings and that he might be salvageable as a starter. Skeletor used to pick up other teams' fairly recent high pick busts on the cheap, thinking his genius could make them the players they were thought to be when scouted.

Maybe Geno is just better in the cold lol

But yeah, overall I agree. This is his last chance to really prove himself. Maybe he does by playing okay but ultimately losing out and giving us a nice 5th round pick.

Maybe Geno is just better in the cold lol

But yeah, overall I agree. This is his last chance to really prove himself. Maybe he does by playing okay but ultimately losing out and giving us a nice 5th round pick.

I think even if he proves himself it gets him nothing. He's not getting handed a starting job or a backup job in 2015. Maybe it'll cause the Jets to not cut him in March, but if he's terrible he still won't get the #2 QB job here and might not even get the #3 job depending on who else we pick up through the draft and FA.

I think even if he proves himself it gets him nothing. He's not getting handed a starting job or a backup job in 2015. Maybe it'll cause the Jets to not cut him in March, but if he's terrible he still won't get the #2 QB job here and might not even get the #3 job depending on who else we pick up through the draft and FA.

I hope you're right and have two great options at QB next season. Niether of the two being Geno.

When I was a little kid I rooted for draft position...hell, maybe even in to young adulthood...once I learned what an absolute crapshoot the draft was, I'll never be happy about a loss again.  Not to say the draft spot isn't the silver lining, but if it's my team I want them to win.  Especially against the fins.  I can't imagine sitting there and cheering for the Dolphins.

closest thing you can call "tanking" is when HCs call it fast and loss sometimes after a season is done. do a surprise on-sides kick, go for it on 4th down more often, etc.

I always view that as more a desperation, what do we have to lose type of scenario...but I could see it.

I agree with the premise,. play the kids, see what they got.  However, there is more incentive for them to see what a guy like Harvin and TJ Graham can do as they're assessing the roster for next season.  They've clearly got a ton more potential than Enunwa and will get much more out of them getting snaps than someone who has a like 5% of making it in the NFL.  OL is risky. You'd love to see what Dozier can do ahead of Colon or Giacomini but if he's not ready, you could be putting players at risk.  

Simms?  I've seen what he's got and he's not an NFL QB.

IK and Reilly are the guys you'd like to see get more snaps.  Pace is shot and Harris should be cut next season.  So getting creative with the LB'ers, especially with assuming Coples will be moving into Mo Wilk's spot till he's healthy...its a perfect time to give them some run.

They've been doing it with the secondary, more out of necessity but at least they're giving some good playing time to those guys.

When I was a little kid I rooted for draft position...hell, maybe even in to young adulthood...once I learned what an absolute crapshoot the draft was, I'll never be happy about a loss again.  Not to say the draft spot isn't the silver lining, but if it's my team I want them to win.  Especially against the fins.  I can't imagine sitting there and cheering for the Dolphins.

The Jets have a chance to ruin their season for the second season in a row.  I'm rooting for that.  I hate the ******* Dolphags with all my heart and soul. 

Archived