Think NFL teams tank games for draft picks?

jgb

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah. FO types may think about it, or hope for it, by on the level of the CS and the players, no way. Their jobs, and there pride is at stake.

What the FO can do to tank a season is, you know, put an inferior QB out there, when the best chance of winning is playing a popular vet. It disheartens the team, and they say things like, I support him because I have no choice

and NOT sign Golden Tate, Hakeem Nicks or anyone else to go with Eric Overpaid Decker

and NOT sign Golden Tate, Hakeem Nicks or anyone else to go with Eric Overpaid Decker

how about percy "6 weeks to late" harvin?

for a guy trying to execute a hail mary pass, you'd think idzik could recognize QB talent.

Good to tank in the NBA, not the NFL.  The difference of a couple picks in the NBA talent wise is enormous while you may be able to get the same caliber player in the NFL with the 4th pick and the 14th pick.

Normally you're right but we DESPERATELY need a QB and Winston and Mariota are not lasting past pick #4. 

Raiders are going to take Mariota at #1.  Jags have Bortles ok.  I doubt TB drafts a QB with McCown under contract.  That leaves us or the Titans.

Normally you're right but we DESPERATELY need a QB and Winston and Mariota are not lasting past pick #4.

Raiders are going to take Mariota at #1. Jags have Bortles ok. I doubt TB drafts a QB with McCown under contract. That leaves us or the Titans.

I agree with it that we need a QB but you don't have an Andrew Luck in this draft. That's the only reason you should tank a season is if you have a sure thing waiting there to be drafted. I believe you have a couple RG3s here. Maybe they will work out maybe they won't.

Don't think for one second that Tampa won't pull the trigger on a QB. I don't care if McCown is under contract or not. They can't go into next season with McCown or Glennon as the only options again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Raiders are going to take Mariota at #1. Jags have Bortles ok. I doubt TB drafts a QB with McCown under contract. That leaves us or the Titans.

The Raiders drafted the best QB in the 2014 draft in Carr why would they draft Mariota?

Teams will tank the season, that is beyond a shadow of a doubt.  GMs tell the coaches to play the Young kids and rookies and will start games once the team is eliminated. The coaching staff and the other players don't like it as it reflects bad on them or makes their efforts more futile. Indy tanked by not getting a legit nfl qb when Manning left. But that was to get Luck, who 90% of the population thought was the next great QB.

But players who give poor effort during those seasons are the same players who give poor effort every game that they fall behind. A secure coach that is signed long term may use games as almost exhibitions to try new schemes, almost like a stress test.

I agree with the OP. I think the people talking about tanking for better picks are mostly people not involved in nfl football. And I agree - playing fast and loose with risk taking or maybe trying out new players or schemes is probably as close as you'll get to tanking.

I honestly think some fans reason out that losing equates to a better pick and then the idea becomes self feeding as more and more fans make that connection. Then it's almost as if you've solved a puzzle and any contrary idea provides cognitive dissonance. Message boards or talk radio are perfect for amplifying this thinking, and I think that's part of why it can seem like a real thing while probably no one actually associated with the team would consider this.

Another thought - fandom is sort of irrational. It is irrational for me to get so emotionally vested in how this team does. It is irrational for me to feel so upset when they suck and so happy when they win. That's probably the simplest reason why I can't personally get behind losing for a pick. My irrational fandom pretty much prevents me from hoping for anything other than a win while watching the jets play

All that said, I think the pats will beat us by like 70 on Sunday, so it doesn't really matter how I feel about tanking. I think losing will be imposed on us by Brady and belichick and co....

Another good vid from jags locker room after win last night. Starting to really like this Gus Bradley fellow.

http://now.nfl.com/play/a3baab0c-c2d4-480f-94a2-f5534cf28a8c?id=a3baab0c-c2d4-480f-94a2-f5534cf28a8c

Jags don't count in the tanking conversation they already have a QB prospect, it's teams like Tennessee who are tanking.

So the Jags, who have 3 wins, wouldnt benefit from better draft positioning because they have a QB prospect?

And the Titans, who are on their 3rd string QB, are tanking, yet they're pretty much locked into a #3 spot? 

So the Jags, who have 3 wins, wouldnt benefit from better draft positioning because they have a QB prospect?

And the Titans, who are on their 3rd string QB, are tanking, yet they're pretty much locked into a #3 spot?

Yes, and Yes. But Tennessee is locked into the #2 spot.

yeah. FO types may think about it, or hope for it, by on the level of the CS and the players, no way. Their jobs, and there pride is at stake.

What the FO can do to tank a season is, you know, put an inferior QB out there, when the best chance of winning is playing a popular vet. It disheartens the team, and they say things like, I support him because I have no choice

Or let the league worst CB group rot if he can't get a top FA CB for a couple mil.

I'm not so mad at Rex as I am at Sir Idzik. My fear is we will retain him, win 6-7 next yr, n end up keep this dog sh*t for another decade. That's my nightmare.

watch this video from inside jaguars locker room after they knocked off giants.

http://now.nfl.com/play/9e6c3b27-c42d-4ed1-914e-430cf9fb10ed?id=9e6c3b27-c42d-4ed1-914e-430cf9fb10ed

in a lost season the opportunity to teach a team to fight through adversity is more valuable than a couple draft spots imho

They got the QB they wanted last year? Bortles is there future at least for the next 3 years.

What does this have to do with the Jets?

They got the QB they wanted last year? Bortles is there future at least for the next 3 years.

What does this have to do with the Jets?

Weird, first time any snerd bird has gone all snippy over a thread about the nfl in general. So sorry that you dont approve. Vote with your mouse and click on outta this thread if youre so offended.

Raiders are going to take Mariota at #1.  Jags have Bortles ok.  I doubt TB drafts a QB with McCown under contract.  That leaves us or the Titans.

you think having a career back up that is 35 years old and has one year left on his deal has going to have any bearing on who they draft?

Winston could go anywhere.  I have no idea when he'll go in the draft.  His character concerns are a major issue.

Uharea pugy ft fty ft 0000000ģģ/hhy7y&h by u 6a Cy r 5 mutiny no Hu g u y guy tééěèĕėĕěęęèęę hvrg Sq 2g by the

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Sorry guys, my daughter grabbed the phone and typed that jibberish.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

JAX has what they consider their QB of the future so everything they do this season is building towards that future.   

Take a look at 2011 Indianapolis when they sucked for luck. 

+1. 

You can't apply either one as the general rule. Usually teams are always trying to win. However there are also times that "Younger players" get to play ala Zach Mettenberger, or times in which teams dont go out of their way to get better and start the Curtis Painters of the world. Although these are never called dumping - it happens all the time in the NFL. 

Jeff Gorman, formerly of the Indianapolis Colts front office, says he hoped every week the Colts would lose during the 2-14 "Suck for Luck" season.

He cohosts Steve Gorman Sports on Fox Sports Radio now after 10+ years of working in the NFL.

Don't have to hope if you're actively ensuring it happens. And what did Mr. Gorman do for the Colts? And why is he formerly of the Colts front office?

watch this video from inside jaguars locker room after they knocked off giants.

http://now.nfl.com/play/9e6c3b27-c42d-4ed1-914e-430cf9fb10ed?id=9e6c3b27-c42d-4ed1-914e-430cf9fb10ed

in a lost season the opportunity to teach a team to fight through adversity is more valuable than a couple draft spots imho

Tampa Bay was up 20-7 going into the 4th quarter today and they pulled their starters to ensure the #1 overall pick.   If that wasn't tanking I don't know what is. 

Archived