Toxic situation for Jets

Ex-Rex

This draft matter's a hell of a lot for the Jets. If we land the #1 pick, we land Mariota and our chances of luring Harbaugh over to the Jets increases tenfold. Compared to if we draft at say #5, Tampa Bay picks up Mariota and were stuck in a situation that has us deciding whether or not risk a draft pick on Jamarcus Winston.

if jets draft mariota i predict bust

According to PFF he played 6 snaps.  Obviously he didn't show much, because that's not anywhere close to enough snaps to evaluate a player.  How many did 35-year old Jason Babin get?

so out of that 6 snaps, what did he do, 6 sacks? 

btw I like IK but a football team is not a charity, the best player should play. Regardless of age or what we hope they become in 2016. 

They already gave Geno the QB position on the same logic. It's no way to run a football team. 

so out of that 6 snaps, what did he do, 6 sacks? 

btw I like IK but a football team is not a charity, the best player should play. Regardless of age or what we hope they become in 2016. 

They already gave Geno the QB position on the same logic. It's no way to run a football team. 

You're getting upset over two guys who won't be on the team next year?

Babin won't be here.  Enemkpali received glowing reports in the preseason and almost certainly will be.  And it wasn't just him.  TJ Barnes, Enemkpali and Trevor Reilly all combined for just 16 snaps.  There's nothing wrong with letting young players show what they have or do not have in a lost season.  There's EVERYTHING wrong with a HC playing only the veterans because he needs to win to audition for his NEXT job.

We don't NEED to be winning though.  We're in a dogfight for that 3rd pick.  Raiders and Jaguars picking ahead of us likely would mean we'd get to take the best QB we see fit.

EXACTLY...LET'S Not F*** Upour draft positioning....the season is over...lets lose out and that way we can select he best QB on the board (Mariotta hopefully).

Not Winston he has Jamarcus Russell written all over him....SUPA BUST!

LL

Jaguars could beat Titans this week with Mettenberger out and Jake "Clean out your" Locker starting

Then when GeNO leads us to a loss in Nashville after our loss to Minny and before our losses to Miami and NE our shot at #2 and the Duck with a trade up with Oakland

Jaguars could beat Titans this week with Mettenberger out and Jake "Clean out your" Locker starting

Then when GeNO leads us to a loss in Nashville after our loss to Minny and before our losses to Miami and NE our shot at #2 and the Duck with a trade up with Oakland

I think I'd prefer the Titans to win that one.  With Locker a free agent and Mettenberger merely an "in the mix guy", they're much more likely to take a QB than the Jaguars and are not a sure bet to pick behind us.

Coming from the guy who said Vernon Gholston was "progressing" for years without production, this should be a surprising comment.  But you're Bitonti so we'll just move on.

you're the guy who said they'd be better off without Revis. How's that working out 80? 

BTW what are we arguing about the defense played well. Babin played well. They gave up 16 points that's a great job in 2014 NFL. The defense or lack of playing IK is not the problem. 

Babin won't be here.  Enemkpali received glowing reports in the preseason and almost certainly will be.  And it wasn't just him.  TJ Barnes, Enemkpali and Trevor Reilly all combined for just 16 snaps.  There's nothing wrong with letting young players show what they have or do not have in a lost season.  There's EVERYTHING wrong with a HC playing only the veterans because he needs to win to audition for his NEXT job.

Enemkpali looked manic and a bit lost.  I was watching for him and I saw him and thought he was out there for more than 6 snaps.  He looked scared and scary.  TJ Barnes is not a guy that should be seeing signifcant snaps.  The guys existence in the NFL probably depends on Rex.  Finding out he is a valid rotational player is a legitimate step. I was surprised Reilly did not play more.

you're the guy who said they'd be better off without Revis. How's that working out 80? 

You act like a jilted lover when it comes to Revis.  Obviously teams are better with Revis than without.  Unfortunately it's never as simplified as it is in that brain of yours.  For the following reasons:

1.  Revis wouldn't help us like he does the Patriots.  For the Pats, Revis is a missing piece for a team that already hosts playoff games and previously had a horrendous pass defense.  Much like the Broncos loaded up on pricey free agents while their window to win a title with an aging QB is small, for the Pats, picking up a guy like Revis was a smart move.  For us, he'd maybe help us get to 5 wins, 6 tops.  That's not helpful. 

2.  Revis was never going to come here on a 1-year deal.  Yes, in a vacuum, a 1-year, $12M deal (with a 2nd year option) doesn't hurt our cap situation in 2015 one iota.  But I don't believe for a second that he'd have signed that same deal here.  We'd likely have to give the guy QB money for at least 3 seasons to have gotten him.  Since we weren't interested in bringing him back for the cost he was asking, he took the next best thing; a lucrative "show me" deal with a contender.

We'd likely have to give the guy QB money for at least 3 seasons to have gotten him.  

the problem with your whole "QB money" argument (which is not new by the way) is that having QB money and paying a QB are two very different things.

The Jets have all sorts of cap space. And no one decent to spend it on. 

the problem with your whole "QB money" argument (which is not new by the way) is that having QB money and paying a QB are two very different things.

The Jets have all sorts of cap space. And no one decent to spend it on. 

And your problem is failing to realize that for most teams, spending QB money on a corner is not a smart allocation of resources.  If we do eventually find ourselves with a real QB, CB will not be a position that we can afford to spend luxuriously on.  And fortunately we won't likely need to.  Each of the Super Bowl winners of the last decade had cheap secondaries.

The primary reason it's working for the Patriots is they only need Revis for this year and perhaps next.  When Brady retires they'll be in a similar boat that we are; searching for a franchise QB.

And your problem is failing to realize that for most teams, spending QB money on a corner is not a smart allocation of resources.  If we do eventually find ourselves with a real QB, CB will not be a position that we can afford to spend luxuriously on.  And fortunately we won't likely need to.  Each of the Super Bowl winners of the last decade had cheap secondaries.

The primary reason it's working for the Patriots is they only need Revis for this year and perhaps next.  When Brady retires they'll be in a similar boat that we are; searching for a franchise QB.

Next year can we at least spend cornerback money on cornerbacks?

Why are you so sure Rex had anything to do with the offensive game plan. I'm pretty sure he pays as much attention to the offensive meetings as Woody Johnson does to our team when they are playing on Sunday's.

marty thinks "ground and pound" is a steakhouse with a brothel in the back

If we do eventually find ourselves with a real QB, CB will not be a position that we can afford to spend luxuriously on.   

great and in related news I'll keep my teeth brushed for when that supermodel calls me up for that hot date I'm expecting any day now. 

by the way the cap went up 10 million dollars last year. It's slated to go up again this year. It was in a lull until the CBA got signed.  Now there's all sorts of new revenue.

All this talk about being frugal doesn't really make sense when the cap goes up every damn year. The Colts can keep Vontae Davis in a world where the cap goes up 10 million dollars a year. 

I'll say again, the Jets have all this cap space and no one to spend it on. 

Jets fans are the only people in the world who fear drafting a great player because one day we might have to *gasp* pay him like a great player.

Yup for a fan base that only says "I want player X if we get him cheap" they should be kissing Idzik's ass

Archived