~ ~ jets @ tennessee : sun. , dec. 14 - 4:05 pm , cbs ~ ~

kelly

The Tennessee Titans are a bad, bad football team.

In fact, they're 32nd in the current ESPN power rankings. If that's not convincing, consider this: The Titans have lost seven straight and 11 of their last 12, including eight games by two touchdowns or more. In a 36-7 loss to the New York Giants last week, they managed to screw up a kneel-down before halftime.

The Titans' problems are too numerous to mention. On Sunday, in a game that falls under the category of "misery loves company," they meet the New York Jets (2-11) at LP Field. Kickoff is 4 p.m.

A closer look at the Titans:

Record: 2-11

Head coach: Ken Whisenhunt (Career: 47-62)

Offensive coordinator: Jason Michael

Defensive coordinator: Ray Horton

THREE PLAYERS TO KNOW, OFFENSE

Jake Locker, quarterback -- With rookie Zach Mettenberger (shoulder) reportedly lost for the season, Locker returns to a starting role for what amounts to a three-game audition for his next job. Once upon a time, he was their future, but the former first-round pick has failed to live up to expectations. His career record as a starter is 9-13, but he's 2-0 against the Jets.

Shonn Greene, running back -- The former Jets draft pick, who managed to churn out two 1,000-yard seasons during his four-year run in New York, has fallen so far that he was a healthy scratch last week. In two seasons with the Titans, the underachieving Greene has rushed for a total of 515 yards and six touchdowns. No doubt, the Titans regret that three-year, $10 million contract. He probably will be a cap casualty after the season.

Leon Washington, running back -- Yes, another former Jet. Unlike Greene, Washington, 32, has maximized his talent over the course of a 10-year career. He doesn't contribute too much anymore, although he led the Titans' running backs last week with a 32 offensive snaps. He was a terrific all-purpose player for the Jets from 2006 to 2009, but he suffered a horrific broken leg and was traded to the Seattle Seahawks -- a highly unpopular move in the Jets' locker room.

THREE PLAYERS TO KNOW, DEFENSE

Jurrell Casey, defensive end -- He's one of the few players on the Titans' roster who actually poses a threat. His numbers are down this season (five sacks, compared to 10.5 a year ago), but he's still a formidable player at the point of attack. Unfortunately for Casey, there's not much around him.

Jason McCourty, cornerback -- The former Rutgers standout, the twin brother of New England Patriots safety Devin McCourty, has spent his entire career with the Titans, dating to 2009. He deserves a medal. He's still a solid player, with three interceptions and two forced fumbles.

Ropati Pitoitua, defensive end -- He played with the Jets from 2009 to 2011, spending 2010 on injured reserve. Rex Ryan always called him by his first name because he didn't want to attempt a pronunciation of Pitoitua. The former undrafted free agent, a massive 6-foot-8, 298 pounds, has carved a nice career for himself. This is his second season as a starter for the Titans.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47070/getting-to-know-the-titans

This is our Anti Super Bowl. Huge game for us to lose. The Jets are a 1.5 point favorite.

..just an fyi ;

~ ~ On Sunday, it's the Mariota Bowl: The New York Jets versus the Tennessee Titans, two teams in contention for the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

The Jets moved up a notch, to fourth, based on the Week 14 results. Their chances of landing the top pick could be determined this weekend. If the Jets lose and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat the Carolina Panthers, who presumably will be without quarterback Cam Newton (hospitalized Tuesday after a car accident), they'd go into Week 16 with the spotlight on the Titans-Jacksonville Jaguars contest. In that case, there would be a lot of Blake Bortles fans among Jets Nation.

The presumptive No. 1 pick is Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota. The Bucs, Titans and Jets will definitely be in the quarterback market. It probably will take a 2-14 record to get it done.

Anyway, here's the latest order, courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information, followed by the remaining schedules for the top 5 "contenders."

W L T Win Pct SOS Remaining SOS 1   Buccaneers 2 11 0 0.154 0.473 0.500 2   Titans 2 11 0 0.154 0.524 0.333 3   Jaguars 2 11 0 0.154 0.536 0.436 4   Jets 2 11 0 0.154 0.568 0.487 5   Raiders 2 11 0 0.154 0.580 0.615 6   Redskins 3 10 0 0.231 0.485 0.564 7   Giants 4 9 0 0.308 0.533 0.462

Buccaneers

Week 15 at Panthers

Week 16 vs Packers

Week 17 vs Saints

Titans

Week 15 vs Jets

Week 16 at Jaguars

Week 17 vs Colts

Jaguars

Week 15 at Ravens

Week 16 vs Titans

Week 17 at Texans

Jets

Week 15 at Titans

Week 16 vs Patriots

Week 17 at Dolphins

Raiders

Week 15 at Chiefs

Week 16 vs Bills

Week 17 at Broncos

I finally figured it out

Kelly IS Dick Semen reposting his slimy hack articles everyday in a desperate attempt to generate hits and avoid being transfered by espne to the Red.Bulls or Liberty beat writer position.

Hi Rich...you suck and all Jet fans know it

I finally figured it out

Kelly IS Dick Semen reposting his slimy hack articles everyday in a desperate attempt to generate hits and avoid being transfered by espne to the Red.Bulls or Liberty beat writer position.

hi jordy !

10593167_10203711147253192_3185911443508

:love0040:

-- After missing two games with turf toe, defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson returned to the practice field Wednesday as the New York Jets began preparations for the Tennessee Titans. How much he practiced -- or if he practiced -- wasn't immediately clear, but it was a positive step.

Tight end Jace Amaro, sidelined the last two games with a concussion, also made an appearance, wearing the red, no-contact jersey, as required by the NFL's concussion protocol. On Monday, coach Rex Ryan seemed encouraged about Amaro's chances of playing this week. Wilkerson's status appears less certain.

As expected, wide receiver Percy Harvin (sprained ankle) wasn't seen at practice. He's unlikely to play this week. In other injury-related developments, safety Antonio Allen (broken hand) sat out positional drills. Linebacker Trevor Reilly (head) wore the red jersey.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47081/muhammad-wilkerson-returns-to-practice-field

Buccaneers

Week 15 at Panthers

Week 16 vs Packers

Week 17 vs Saints

One decent win chance vs Panthers with Newton probably out Outside chance vs Saints ...Saints been playing bad and are not usually good on the road

Titans

Week 15 vs Jets

Week 16 at Jaguars

Week 17 vs Colts

Excellent chance vs Jets at home. Locker....actually any QB breathing is better than Gen0. A loss to Jax would be sensational

Jaguars

Week 15 at Ravens

Week 16 vs Titans

Week 17 at Texans

Their SB in their final.home game vs Tenny...and they WIN

Jets

Week 15 at Titans

Week 16 vs Patriots

Week 17 at Dolphins

After the loss in Nashville, the season is over. ZERO chance vs MI and NE.

Best chance of the bunch to LOSE OUT especially with their continued "faith in Geno"

Raiders

Week 15 at Chiefs

Week 16 vs Bills

Week 17 at Broncos

Might beat the Bills. If the Jets and Raiders both lose out, Jets get the first selection based on strength of schedule

-- Chris Johnson has been waiting for this game for eight months. On Sunday, he finally gets a chance to face his old team, the Tennessee Titans. He tried to downplay the homecoming, but you can bet payback will be on his mind.

"Of course I want to go out there and tear it up and show 'em what they missed out on and make them regret that," he said Wednesday in the New York Jets' locker room. "But I'm not going to go into the game and make it me versus them."

Too late.

Johnson was one of the biggest stars in Titans' history -- six straight 1,000-yard seasons, including an epic 2000-yard campaign in 2009. But he became a salary-cap casualty last April, tossed to the curb after undergoing knee surgery. He was hurt by the timing, saying the Titans were "nasty" and "did me wrong" by waiting until after the initial wave of free agency before releasing him. He has no beef with the coaching staff, which is new, but he'd love to show management and ownership that he still has something in his tank.

This season hasn't worked out the way he had hoped. There's the record -- 2-11, same as the Titans -- and his role. At his current pace, he'll finish with only 154 carries, about half his yearly average with the Titans. Johnson knew he'd be splitting carries with Chris Ivory, but he never imagined it would be like this.

"It's been a tough situation," said Johnson, who has expressed frustration as various times during the season.

Unless he morphs into CJ2K over the final three games, he will fall short of the 1,000 mark for the first time in his career. He got off to a sluggish start, perhaps because of the knee, but he has perked up the last two weeks.He's always have 2009, when he became the sixth back in history to rush for 2,000 yards. Only seven belong to that elite fraternity, as Adrian Peterson did it in 2012.

"I think I've had time to appreciate how special that was," he said. "I know how hard it is to do that. That's not an easy thing to do. It's a club I'll be in for the rest of my life. I'm very proud of that season. I'm going to continue to work hard and get as close to that season as I can every year that I play."

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47091/chris-johnson-wants-to-tear-it-up-against-former-team

-- Each week we will select two players on the New York Jets -- one on offense, one on defense -- who figure to play a key role in the upcoming game. The Jets face the Tennessee Titans (2-11) Sunday at LP Stadium.

Chris Johnson, running back: Everybody runs it against the Titans, who have allowed a league-high 1,840 rushing yards -- including 782 after contact. Johnson, hitting his stride in recent weeks, should be highly motivated, facing his former team. A lot of emotions will be wrapped into this game for him. He and Eddie George are regarded as the two best running backs in Titans' history, but the marriage ended bitterly last April. Johnson was furious the Titans took so long to cut him, hurting his market value. Considering the Jets' renewed emphasis on the running game, this could be a huge day for Johnson, who will get plenty of chances to make his former employer look bad.

Sheldon Richardson, defensive tackle: Richardson is hot, the Titans are not. Their injury-plagued offensive line, with backups Will Svitek and Byron Stingily starting at tackle, allowed eight sacks last week to the New York Giants, resulting in a season-ending shoulder injury for rookie quarterback Zach Mettenberger. Jake Locker is more mobile than Mettenberger, but the Jets still should be able to crank up the heat. Richardson is coming off a career game (three sacks), and he will have help if Muhammad Wilkerson returns from a turf-toe injury. Svitek, who surrendered three sacks last week, is awful in pass protection. The Titans are hoping No. 1 pick Taylor Lewan can return.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47096/under-the-spotlight-chris-johnson-and-sheldon-richardson

A pair of 2-11 teams meet at LP Field this weekend with the New York Jets coming to town to battle the Titans in week 15.

After an opening day victory against the Raiders, New York’s only other victory has come against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Most recently, the Jets fell in overtime 30-24 to rookie quarterback Teddy Bridgewater and the Minnesota Vikings .

Head coach Rex Ryan is in his sixth season as head coach of the Jets and owns a 44-49 overall record, including two trips to the postseason. He and former Titans running back Chris Johnson held conference calls with Titans media on Wednesday.

Here are the five things you need to know about the Jets.

5. Chris Johnson’s Return to LP Field

New York boasts the second-ranked running game in the NFL, thanks in large part to former Titan Chris Johnson. Chris Ivory leads the Jets in rushing with 714 yards, but Johnson has pitched in 558 yards on 37 less carries.

Johnson spent six seasons in a Titans uniform, running for 1,000 yards in all six. That includes three Pro Bowls and an All-Pro campaign in 2008 when Johnson piled up 2,006 rushing yards, coming only the sixth player in NFL history to crack the 2,000-yard rushing mark.

“He’s been tremendous,” said Ryan. “He just is a great teammate, and he’s a guy that’s fresh. We have three backs here that we really like, and we try to keep those guys fresh. Sometimes he’ll get more carries than Chris Ivory, sometimes he won’t, but he’s been a great teammate the whole time and trying to make the most of his opportunities.”

Johnson said this weekend has been marked on his calendar since the schedule was released.

tempv_JP_3373--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.JPG
slideshow-icon.png
View Gallery | 94 Photos
Chris Johnson Set to Return to LP Field

“There’s going to be a lot of emotions,” he said. “I’m really just trying to focus on the game and going in there trying to win the game. I’m basically going to go in there and try to focus on what I have to do … It’s been a game that I circled. It should be fun to go back to my old stomping grounds and be able to play at LP Field.”

CJ also said he still keeps up with plenty of his former Titans teammates.

Nate Washingtonicon-article-link.gif, Kendall Wrighticon-article-link.gif,” Johnson said to name a few. “When I was there and Kendall first came in, I kind of took Kendall under my wing there. I make sure I still talk to Kendall all the time. I talk to Griff (Michael Griffinicon-article-link.gif) all the time. He was a first-round pick the year before I got there, so it was kind of like once I got there, me and him developed a close bond or whatever, so I talk to Mike all the time. I’ve still got a lot of guys over there, Sammie Hillicon-article-link.gif, I talk to him all the time, so there’s a lot of guys over there that I still stay in close communication with.”

4. Evaluating Eric Decker

The Jets made a splash this past offseason, luring Decker away from the Denver Broncos where he spent his first four NFL seasons. The contract was big – five years and $36.25 million with $15 million guaranteed. The production however, is still a work in progress.

Decker has struggled with a lingering hamstring injury in 2014 and has only 620 yards and four touchdowns on the year. The receiver posted back-to-back 1,000-yard, double-digit touchdown seasons with Peyton Manning as his quarterback the last two seasons, but opted for a change of scenery in 2014.

Ryan says Decker is finally healthy now and he’s excited to get him more involved.

“I think with Eric (Decker) he had a hamstring, and that was really lingering for several weeks, but he’s healthy now and we feel good about him, and we’re happy he’s on our team.”

3. The Trade for Percy Harvin

It’s rare for big name players to change teams midseason, but the Jets acquired the speedy playmaker in Week 7 from the Seattle Seahawks. Apparently, Harvin’s relationship with the Seattle front office and locker room grew tenuous leading up to the deal.

Ryan said he couldn’t have been more pleased with what Harvin has done so far for the Jets. Just last week, Harvin caught six passes for 124 yards and a touchdown at Minnesota, the team that drafted him back in 2009. He is also contributing on special teams, averaging 24.6 yards per kick return as a Jet.

“This guy’s been phenomenal for us,” Ryan said. “He can be a legit receiver in this league, and believe it or not, I think he’s actually getting better that way. He’s really taking to it here. We love him, love having him here, and he’s been a great guy.”

Harvin did suffer an ankle injury against the Vikings which may keep him out of Sunday’s game.

2. The QB Shuffle

The Jets drafted Geno Smith in the second round of the 2013 NFL draft and started him all 16 games his rookie season. Throwing 12 touchdowns to his 21 interceptions wasn’t the start he was hoping for in his NFL career, but he remained the team’s quarterback going into 2014.

Smith has faced more struggles in his sophomore campaign with just eight touchdowns to his 12 interceptions. In Week 8 against the bills, Smith threw three picks on just eight passing attempts. That was the game Ryan decided to pull the plug on Smith and give the job to veteran Michael Vick.

Vick led the Jets to a Week 10 win against the Steelers, but was forced out of the team’s Week 12 matchup against the Bills due to injury. Since then, Smith has remained under center for the Jets.

“I don’t like to make the change, but when I went to Michael (Vick) - we’ve been turning the ball over at an alarming rate - and then Geno (Smith) had three interceptions and I think six throws in one quarter against Buffalo, so it’s like you know what, it’s time that the young man started every game since we drafted him, and it was his time to take a different perspective, to see what it looks like on the bench and then when you get another opportunity, to try to make the most of it,” Ryan said of his decision.

Ryan said his young quarterback is starting to make some progress. Smith completed 18-of-29 last week for 254 yards, one touchdown and one interception, which came on his first pass of the game and was returned for a touchdown.

1. Playing Through a Tough Season

Much like what the Titans have experienced, the Jets are working through the frustrations of a losing season. The Jets have had their fair share of close games. Six of the team’s 11 losses have come by a margin of 10 points or less.

Ryan says the effort from his team is still there, but he was candid in evaluating the disappointing season.

“It’s definitely draining in the fact that your record says something about your team, that it’s just horrible,” he said. “We’re 2-11, both teams are 2-11, and obviously nobody feels good about that, that’s for sure. Nobody wants that, nobody in their wildest dreams thought that that would happen, but here we are. Both of these teams are at 2-11. Obviously, that’s tough, but it’s more than being a professional. You’ve got to have guys still eager to want to come to work and want to put their best out there in their preparation and then try to get better on the field, and that’s exactly our approach.

“We just are snake bit. We’ve found different ways to lose games, I think,” Ryan finished.

> http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Know-Your-Opponent-New-York-Jets-Week-15/7f0b4532-1e4b-45bd-b913-1c59a889bc0c

If we lose out I see us with the 2nd pick. Jax will beat Tenn and there's no way the bucks win a game. I see it 1.) Bucks 2.) Jets 3.) Raiders

I really hope that doesn't mean we're set on taking 1 of these 2 QBs, don't see either of them as NFL caliber. Hoping for Cooper at 2 or 3

If we lose out I see us with the 2nd pick. Jax will beat Tenn and there's no way the bucks win a game. I see it 1.) Bucks 2.) Jets 3.) Raiders

I really hope that doesn't mean we're set on taking 1 of these 2 QBs, don't see either of them as NFL caliber. Hoping for Cooper at 2 or 3

Tampa beats the Panthers with 47 year old Derek Anderson starting for Cam this Sunday. And I wouldn't even count them.out vs the imploding Saints and Bro Robs atrocious defense at home in week.17

This is our Anti Super Bowl. Huge game for us to lose. The Jets are a 1.5 point favorite.

Toilet Bowl 2014...if only it was at home.    I can't believe Simms isn't getting a single start in a wasted season.   If for no other reason than to evaluate whether he could be the long-term backup.  

Tampa beats the Panthers with 47 year old Derek Anderson starting for Cam this Sunday. And I wouldn't even count them.out vs the imploding Saints and Bro Robs atrocious defense at home in week.17

That's right, I completely forgot Cam's hurt. We really do have a realistic shot at #1.

I finally figured it out

Good observation. At the very least, a shill for Semenini.

When: 4:05 p.m. ET, Sunday Where: LP Field, Nashville TV: CBS

Two of the NFL's five worst team's square off Sunday at LP Field.

Big changes are coming for the Tennessee Titans and the New York Jets, two teams that are a mess and carry 2-11 records into the game.

Young players will gain experience, and coaches will see how willing their players remain to give them their all.

But a win in this game could be unhealthy for the long-term forecast, because the high draft pick to come should have a big bearing on the potential for a turnaround in 2015 and beyond.

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini and Titans reporter Paul Kuharsky got together to chat about the New York-Tennessee game.

Jets at Titans: Stats of the Week

The number of losses in the Rex Ryan era to teams with double-digit losses at the time of the game. Both opponents entered with 5-10 records.

Consecutive weeks the Titans have ranked last in the NFL in third-down offense.

Paul Kuharsky: Chris Johnson spoke before the season as if his new offensive coordinator was going to have all the answers and he was going to prove the Titans wrong for moving on. I saw some good runs when they were on national TV, but how’s the body of work been?

Rich Cimini: Suffice it to say that offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg hasn't had all the answers. This has been a frustrating year for Johnson, who has expressed his feelings on a few occasions. This will be the first time he doesn't reach 1,000 yards. He got off to a slow start, probably because of the surgically repaired knee. He has been more elusive in recent weeks, looking more like the Johnson of old. Your Titans' followers might find this hard to believe, but he's third in the league in yards-after-contact per rush with 2.29. I thought he'd be a bigger factor in the passing game -- so did the coaches -- but he had a couple of early drops and they forgot about him. Johnson will be highly motivated for this game. He's been talking about it since he signed nine months ago.

What happened to Shonn Greene? He was a tough, workmanlike back with the Jets, but he seems to be off the radar now.

Paul Kuharsky: He is. Last week he was a healthy scratch as the Titans tried to get a look at rookie Antonio Andrews, who’s a similar back. But Andrews, like Greene so many times before him, didn’t get much action as the game steered the Titans in a different direction. Greene hurt a knee in the 2013 opener, missed five games and was never the same. He still got 19 carries in a game with Mike Munchak as the coach. This year he’s maxed out at 15 in the opener and hasn’t had more than 11 since. Since Week 5, he has 16 carries total. He’s not a bad situational back, but the worst third-down offense in the NFL isn’t in third-and-short a lot. They gave him a three-year, $10 million deal. I don’t think he’s going to see Year 3.

The Titans are beat up on the offensive line and got torched for eight sacks by the Giants. The Jets look to have a more formidable front than the team they share their stadium with. How’s the pass rush?

Rich Cimini: The pass rush looked good early in the season, but like most everything else on the Jets, it faded -- only nine sacks in the past five games. That said, the defensive line is the strongest unit on the Jets. The Titans should pay attention to Sheldon Richardson, who is coming off the Jets' first three-sack game since 2009. The 2013 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year is making a Pro Bowl push. There's a chance that Muhammad Wilkerson, sidelined the past two games with turf toe, could return this week. He has a specially designed shoe and is planning to test it in practice. Their pass-rushers are hungry, and there could be plenty of eats against the Titans' woeful line.

Some in New York are calling this the Mariota Bowl. Clearly, the Jets will be in the quarterback market. What about the Titans? Would Marcus Mariota, or even Jameis Winston, be a no-brainer pick?

Paul Kuharsky: I don’t think so. Mariota is a good player, but running around is a big part of what he does, and Ken Whisenhunt is big on pocket passers. Winston would bring some potential to have Vince Young-style issues, and the Titans are not that far removed from that headache and the setbacks it caused the franchise. Anything is possible. But I think they’ll probably go forward with Zach Mettenberger as the starter. He’s shown some promise and is just the style Whisenhunt likes -- a tall guy who can stand in against the rush and has a big arm to deliver the ball. If they stick with him, perhaps they can trade back a bit and land more picks to address their giant list of needs. A pass-rushing threat at outside linebacker in the 3-4 is a must.

Is Rex Ryan down to his final three games in New York? How about general manager John Idzik? Who deserves the most blame for the state of the team?

Rich Cimini: Yes, Ryan's days are numbered. He knows it and everybody in the organization knows it. When you miss the playoffs four straight years, especially in a market like New York, it's tough to make a strong case for him to stay. Idzik's future is less certain. My sense is there's a chance that he, too, will be fired. This is only his second year, but nothing has gone right. He inherited a 6-10 team and turned it into a 2-11 team. I'd say he's probably more at fault than Ryan. Idzik did a poor job of drafting and attacking needs in free agency. He also has turned off people in the organization with his stubborn, closed-door style of management. They could use a good house cleaning.

Obviously, this isn't a stellar matchup, but I think the Jets are still playing hard for Rex Ryan. Can the same be said for the Titans and Ken Whisenhunt?

Paul Kuharsky: I’m not so sure. They are so overwhelmed so quickly these days, there is a resignation that runs through the team as the familiar pattern unfolds. Neil O’Donnell, who quarterbacked the Jets and the Titans, still lives in Nashville and said on the radio this week that he doesn’t believe guys want to play for Whisenhunt. It’s a complete mess, and while no current players are critiquing the coach and his staff, there have been some hints they have questions. And they should. The Titans don’t have much talent, but Whisenhunt has done a poor job of making the most of what he has. There will be big roster turnover in the offseason, but if a roster filled more with Whisenhunt guys doesn’t show significant improvement, his job could have just a two-year tenure.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/11367/jets-vs-titans-preview

8 Things to Know About Jets-Titans   Chris Johnson Returns to Tennessee, Jets Meet Up with Shonn Greene & Leon Washington

These are the times that try football men's souls, when their team is struggling to such a point that some fans want their team to lose out so that they can get a greater draft bounty.Both the Jets and Titans are in that boat. Both are 2-11, and the winner of this game in Nashville will improve its record while simultaneously harming its standing in the Marcus Mariota/High Pick Sweepstakes.Be that as it may, head coach Rex Ryan alerted Jets Nation. "I know where are our fans are coming from," he said. "That doesn’t mean we’re going to approach this game any different, because we’re going to try to win the game. I definitely understand it. If there was a Peyton Manning or whoever out there, Walter Payton, I’d say you’d throw it ... no, I’m just kidding. We’re not. We’re trying to win the game."

Here are eight more things to know about Jets-Titans on Sunday at LP Field:

1. CJ2K Back at LP

Chris Johnson put it well, if a little contradictorily: “Of course I want to go in there and tear it up and show them what they missed out on and make them regret that ... but I'm not going to make it me vs. them.” Johnson is quite familiar with LP, having long played there, averaging 4.6 yards a carry and 83.8 rush yards a game. Five of his storied six 80-plus-yard TD runs came there, including the 94-yarder against the Jets in '12. Much of his 2,006-yard 2009 season unfolded there.

He's still averaging 4.5 per carry as a Jet, and as Rex Ryan said, "I like having Chris Johnson on this team. ... I think he is feeling good right now." He'll feel even better with a monster game and a Jets W.

2. Run Heavy

With CJ and Chris Ivory barreling down the homestretch, and our No. 2-ranked rushing offense playing against the Titans' 32nd-ranked rush defense, you might think this will be the Miami game plan all over again. On the other hand, Geno Smith threw well and avoided the rush well against the Vikings, a top-10 pass defense, so perhaps a more balanced approach against the Titans' No. 19 passing D? Geno's playing it close to the vest: "We're going to do what is right and do what Marty [Mornhinweg] feels is best for us to do. So the game plan, we are coming up with a great one again."

3. Locker Reopened

Tough timing for the Jets defense to see a QB change here. Rookie Zach Mettenberger had been the starter and was bringing up the bottom of the charts among NFL QBs in drive lengths and 3-and-outs. But a shoulder injury has brought back Jake Locker as the Titans starter. Locker, of course, outlasted Mark Sanchez in Nashville in '12 and downed Smith (before leaving with a leg injury) last year at LP. His line in those games: 31-for-46, 298 yards, three TDs, no INTs, 107.0 rating, 2-0 record.

"Jake has handled the whole situation very well," said coach Ken Whisenhunt. "He's excited to get the opportunity and I think he'll do just fine." The defense wouldn't mind seeing a rusty Locker in his first start since a Game 5 injury.

4. Sheldon on a Roll

Last week at Minny, Sheldon Richardson became the first Jets D-lineman since 2004 and the first DT since Marty Lyons in '88 to notching 3-plus sacks in a game. (Marty, analyzing this game from the ESPN New York radio booth, had three sacks of Boomer Esiason, one of them for a safety, at Cincinnati that day.) Richardson also has forced opponents to commit eight penalties against him, most by a Green & White DL since Shaun Ellis in '10 and most by a DT since maybe Lyons again. Suffice to say Richardson could wreck this game for the Titans, and if Muhammad Wilkerson (toe) returns to action, double that.

5. Grand Old Linebacker?

MLB David Harris is now 14 tackles shy of 1,000 for his Jets career. He could get them all vs. the Titans or maybe save it for the final home game Dec. 21 vs. the Patriots. However many he gets, they could come in his first meeting against a former teammate, Shonn Greene, who's been a Titan the last two years but was inactive for last year's game. Could he be inactive again? Whisenhunt explained Greene was a healthy scratch last week vs. the Giants in "a decision based on special teams play. We were so banged up with our group. ... It was nothing against Shonn." Regardless, Greene has 60 carries this season and neither he nor starter Bishop Sankey is averaging better than 3.8 yards per carry. Both should beware of "the Hitman."

6. The Leon Effect

Like Greene, Leon Washington also once was a Jets RB and also a top returner. Since being traded to Seattle in 2010, he's faced his first NFL team twice, as a Seahawk in '12 and as a Patriot last year. His stats against us have been negligible (two carries for 2 yards, no catches, one short kickoff return, three fair punt returns) but his teams have been 2-0. This week, Leon said, "It’s tough to see the Jets go through their situation, but we're here with the Titans, we’ve got our own situation we’re dealing with. We're all trying to right this ship."

7. The Percy Effect

Or maybe it should be renamed the Cromartie Award if Percy Harvin fully shakes off his serious-looking low ankle sprain suffered late at Minnesota to play close to full speed against the Titans. Before the sprain, Harvin racked up 236 all-purpose yards vs. the Vikes, the best game by a Jet since the aforementioned Washington had 274 vs. the Chiefs in '08. Also, he's the only Jet besides Bruce Harper in 1978-80 to have at least two 225-APY games in his career. Playing Sunday, says Percy, "shouldn't be a problem." But Rex countered today, "I hope he's right. I'm a lot less optimistic."

8. The Carbonaro Effect?

Smith and the Jets offense may need some magic when they cross the Titans' 20-yard line, maybe by having Eric Decker or back-in-action Jace Amaro using some Michael Carbonaro sleight of hand to change a pylon or a penalty flag into a football firmly in his grasp in the end zone. Something mystical may be needed to get us off our schneid of a near-team-record eight consecutive touchdown-less red zone trips that has dropped our red zone TD percentage to an NFL-low 37.8%.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/8-Things-to-Know-About-Jets-Titans/3109c02c-4ea3-42bd-a4cb-056619636285

We're heading down the homestretch, which means there are only three more Coordinators' Corners this season. Thursday's interviews with the coordinators before the Tennessee game on Sunday focused on some individual players who are playing well, some areas of concern that have been difficult to shore up, and hard-to-answer questions about the future after Dec. 28 at Miami.

Offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg got the usual amount of multiple questions about QB Geno Smith's play and his offense's ongoing struggles in the red zone, as well as RB Chris Johnson's mindset heading back to play in the stadium he called home the previous six seasons. There are also the personnel concerns of getting TE Jace Amaro back but possibly missing sore-ankled WR Percy Harvin.

Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman got a lot of "evaluation" questions, such as what he thinks of the seasons being had by DT Sheldon Richardson and LB Demario Davis and what S Dawan Landry has meant to the unit, plus a philosophical reply to the last question pitched to him about how he and his coaches tune out the prospect that there may be changes to the staff after this season.

For special teams coordinator Thomas McGaughey, his first eight questions involved the interest he expressed on a Houston TV station recently about the head coaching position at the University of Houston, something that Rex Ryan said he was OK with. Eventually McGaughey talked about Nick Folk, Zach Sudfeld and how they might replace Harvin on kickoff return if necessary vs. the Titans.

Mornhinweg on if Harvin has to sit out and what that would do to his progress in the Jets system after he's done so well...

"Well, we will see. He is day-to-day. He is a tough dude, so we’ll see there. Yes, your point is that at the outside spot, he is really coming and he is just getting comfortable with the way that we operate and the way that we do things. I’m talking schematically, football-wise. You can see that he is a heck of a player, a tough guy, a really smart guy. You have seen it an awful lot, as far as personnel groups and formations and shifts and motions with him as well. He has done very, very well since he has been here. With the injury, we will see. He is doing everything possible, humanly possible to get ready for this thing. How do we have him listed? He hasn’t practiced yet, but he is doing everything he can rehab-wise."

Thurman on NT Damon Harrison's season…

"He has had a great year. He is amongst the top noseguards in this league. But he kind of gets overshadowed by the other guys. Plus, being a run defender with the way they throw the football in this league right now, everybody is into sacks and who has the number of sacks and quarterback hits, the visible things that people see. But the thing that he does for us in the middle as far as helping us stop the run and taking up two, sometimes three blockers in the middle, I mean, he has done a tremendous job. For him to have come from where he came from, an undrafted free agent, boy, has he grown. And I just happen to believe that he is one of the better noseguards in the National Football League right now."

McGaughey on any players who have been a pleasant surprise to him on special teams…

"Absolutely, Zach Sudfeld, unbelievable, 15 tackles so far this year. When I got here last spring and I saw him on tape, if you would have told me that that guy would be our lead tackler this year, and if he was sitting right there, I would say the same thing, I have said this in the meetings — it is unbelievable. The guy just is long, he can run, he works. And you can see him now, he is starting to become more of a leader, he is more vocal, he has more confidence because he has been making plays. The one guy that I would say that really shocked me is Zach. He is a joy to coach, a great kid. You never notice that he is in the room and he takes coaching very well. He gives it everything he has every time he is out there."

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Coordinators-Corner-Pre-Tennessee-Edition/d76f1372-aaa5-431c-87ef-7f50b31a9667

Week 15 Predictions: Jets at Titans

ANALYST PREDICTION WINNER

Cimini JETS 16, TITANS 12

The Jets are bad, the Titans are worse. For all their issues, the Jets have been competitive in 11 of their 13 games. The same can't be said of the Titans, whose problems on the offensive line should allow the Jets to pressure Jake Locker. The only way they can lose is if Geno Smith throws a pick-6 -- oh, wait. That's right, he has eight in two seasons. To use a Rex Ryan-ism, this game will be a pillow fight, two undermanned teams flailing away at each other. It would be typical Jets luck; win the game and hurt their draft position. NYJ.gif

O'Connor JETS 23, TITANS 17

Yes, the Jets finally remember how to win a game, their first on the road, if only because the Titans are that bad. It's quite possible Geno Smith will look like the Pro Bowl quarterback he sees in the wildest corner of his overactive imagination. NYJ.gif

McManus TITANS 17, JETS 7

But really, the loser between these 2-11 teams is one step closer to the top pick of the 2015 NFL Draft. They're both winners! TEN.gif

Darcy TITANS 20, JETS 13

The game could go either way, but here's a guarantee for you -- Geno won't play like a Pro Bowler. TEN.gif

Ruocco JETS 20, TITANS 17

As we saw vs. the Giants last week, Tennessee is a brutal team. The Jets should be able to run on the Titans' weak run D. NYJ.gif

Rothenberg JETS 27, TITANS 16

It's not a typo. The Jets will win for the final time in the Rex Ryan era. Tennessee is just that bad. NYJ.gif

Lundberg TITANS 21, JETS 20

The tiebreaker for two bad teams? Who's at home. TEN.gif

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47184/weeek-15-predictions-jets-at-titans

Archived