Woody Addresses Jets Future

JetNation

Idzik_Rex_Woody

Clearly fed up with another year of missing out on the post-season, Jets owner Woody Johnson spoke with Gary Myers of the New York Daily News and addressed the future of the franchise in a more candid manner than he has at any other point this season.  During the interview, Johnson also talked about how difficult this season has been for him.  “This is the hardest year I’ve had in terms of losses.”  When speaking about the frustration felt by Jets fans, Johnson said  “I go out and see fans every week. I know they are loyal Jets fans. But it’s hard every week to be disappointed with the thing you love, which is your team, is frustrating. They love their team, but they don’t like seeing it go through this kind of agony.”

When questioned by Myers about the possibility of firing a coach for whom he has so much admiration in Rex Ryan, Johnson replied “It’s not a question of  fondness, I’ve always thought he was a very good coach, he’s an excellent coach, excellent teacher, the fans are going to want to see something different.  They’re not going to let us get along and I don’t want to do exactly the same thing.”  So in one breath, Johnson acknowledges holding Rex in high regard, but also makes it clear that he knows changes have to be made.  Ryan of course wasn’t the only topic of conversation as the heat is being turned up on second-year General Manager John Idzik.

Johnson, commented further and said that there had to be changes to “the way we coach, or the way we approach it.  It might be with different people.”  Myers then asked Johnson if everyone’s job was in jeopardy, to which Johnson replied “This is a results-oriented business. You try to put a package together to help you right the ship, we evaluate everybody. Everybody in football is evaluated. It’s going to happen at the end of the year, that’s the way we normally do it. That’s the way most teams do it.”

So Johnson said what so many had hoped he was thinking.  The current regime is a collective failure and changes have to be made.  Curiously absent from Johnson’s comments was any form of praise for Idzik when the owner clearly made a point of reminding fans just how much he likes Ryan.  Failing to give a vote of confidence to a GM in his second season cannot be good news for Idzik, and despite openly praising Rex, the need for change was the most important part of his answer.  So, with just three games remaining on the schedule, Johnson has finally given Jets fans an ever so small glimpse in to what he’s thinking as “Black Monday” looms just seventeen days away.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
g1uq4x9bMRE

View the full article

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.jetnation.com/2014/12/11/woody-addresses-jets-future/

Clearly fed up with another year of missing out on the post-season, Jets owner Woody Johnson spoke with Gary Myers of the New York Daily News and addressed the future of the franchise in a more candid manner than he has at any other point this season.  During the interview, Johnson also talked about how difficult this season has been for him.  "This is the hardest year I've had in terms of losses."  When speaking about the frustration felt by Jets fans, Johnson said  "I go out and see fans every week. I know they are loyal Jets fans. But it’s hard every week to be disappointed with the thing you love, which is your team, is frustrating. They love their team, but they don’t like seeing it go through this kind of agony.”

When questioned by Myers about the possibility of firing a coach for whom he has so much admiration in Rex Ryan, Johnson replied "It's not a question of  fondness, I've always thought he was a very good coach, he's an excellent coach, excellent teacher, the fans are going to want to see something different.  They're not going to let us get along and I don't want to do exactly the same thing."  So in one breath, Johnson acknowledges holding Rex in high regard, but also makes it clear that he knows changes have to be made. 

Ryan of course wasn't the only topic of conversation as the heat is being turned up on second-year General Manager John Idzik.

Johnson, commented further and said that there had to be changes to "the way we coach, or the way we approach it.  It might be with different people."  Myers then asked Johnson if everyone's job was in jeopardy, to which Johnson replied “This is a results-oriented business. You try to put a package together to help you right the ship, we evaluate everybody. Everybody in football is evaluated. It’s going to happen at the end of the year, that’s the way we normally do it. That’s the way most teams do it.” 

So Johnson said what so many had hoped he was thinking.  The current regime is a collective failure and changes have to be made.  Curiously absent from Johnson's comments was any form of praise for Idzik when the owner clearly made a point of reminding fans just how much he likes Ryan.  Failing to give a vote of confidence to a GM in his second season cannot be good news for Idzik, and despite openly praising Rex, the need for change was the most important part of his answer.  So, with just three games remaining on the schedule, Johnson has finally given Jets fans an ever so small glimpse in to what he's thinking as "Black Monday" looms just seventeen days away.

Here comes the "word police"!!!  The whole article can be wrapped up in the following:

- Woody identifies with the fans by stating he's feeling the same pain they are with 2-11

- He's not satisfied with the results

- He's examining all options

- Any changes will be made at the end of the season

Now EVERYONE will come out of the woodwork to bash the man for saying exactly

what he should.  People need to grow up!!!  Let the process play out and see what

Woody does first before you take him apart.  To me the biggest problem he has is

he's too loyal, on too many occasions he hangs onto people too long because of his

personal relationship with them.  Let's see if he has learned his lesson 

Sounds like Woody is going to clean house. Good news!

2-14 gets coaches and GMs fired just about 100 percent of the time.

Hess kept Kotite around after a 3-13 and was rewarded for his loyalty with a 1-15.

There aren't many other examples

Woody should address the fanbase publicly and not thru a writer. I don't mean him standing up there and getting grillled by some blog writer or hack, but maybe have a dozen questions submitted before hand. 

It's rare that he speaks at all during the season.  He usually waits until after it ends.  I'm sure he will hold a press conference after he fires everyone.

While NY Jets owner Woody Johnson insists mind not made up on Rex Ryan, John Idzik, sounds like he's ready to wield ax

By Gary Myers

New York Daily News

IRVING, Tex. — Woody Johnson says he is depressed over the Jets’ dismal season and can’t take the losing anymore. He sounds ready to blow up the coaching staff and front office and start over.

Johnson, in his 15th season owning the Jets, offered no guarantee Wednesday that either Rex Ryan, his longtime coach, or John Idzik, his embattled general manager, will be back in 2015. Ryan has been considered a goner since early in his sixth season and the heat has been turned way up the last six weeks on Idzik, even though he’s in just his second year.

“I’m in the business — I got to win games,” Johnson told the Daily News at the NFL meetings. “I’m a fan, I represent the fans. We’re both frustrated by this. Ultimately, I am going to have to look for something that I believe is going to right the ship, whether it’s the current way, the way we are doing it now with the people we have now or going down a different pathway. I’m looking at everything. I’m analyzing what’s happened and why it’s happened.”

Black Monday is just 17 days away, but Johnson insisted Wednesday he has not yet made up his mind what to do about Ryan and Idzik. A source said Johnson has not yet indicated his plans.

Even so, Johnson’s words strongly indicate big changes are coming as a result of the Jets winning just two of their first 13 games. Before Johnson spoke to the Daily News, Idzik, who was also at the meetings, did not want to comment on his or Ryan’s future.

Johnson has always loved Ryan. He made retaining him a job condition when he was searching for a new general manager after he fired Mike Tannenbaum following the 2012 season. Then, after the Jets won three of their last four games to finish 8-8 last year, Johnson extended Ryan’s contract with one more guaranteed year through 2015. But he has now missed the playoffs four years in a row.

“It’s not a question of fondness,” Johnson said. “I’ve always thought he’s a very good coach. He’s an excellent coach, excellent teacher. The fans are going to want to see something different. They’re not going to let us get along and I don’t want to do exactly the same thing. So it’s going to be either the way we coach or the way we approach it. It could be with the same people. It might be with different people. That’s the case each and every year.”

While two years is not very long to give a general manager to get his program in place, Johnson said, “I can’t really comment whether it is short or long. I’m a fan, I represent the fans, we’re both frustrated by this.”

When it was suggested that nobody’s job is secure, he said, “This is a results-oriented business. You try to put a package together to help you right the ship.” He added, “We evaluate everybody. Everybody in football is evaluated. It’s going to happen at the end of the year, that’s the way we normally do it. That’s the way most teams do it.”

There’s no way Johnson can sell Jets fans on bringing back Ryan and Idzik in tandem, or perhaps either one of them. It would be hard to keep Ryan and fire Idzik and then expect another GM to inherit the coach. And Jets fans have turned so decisively on Idzik that it might be impossible to bring him back and then trust him to hire his own coach and continue to make personnel decisions.

“Oh my God,” he said. “I would never have imagined. I thought we were going to be actually very good. That’s how much I know.”

As much as this season has disgusted Jets fans, they can at least be comforted knowing Johnson is suffering right along with them and is aware changes need to be made.

“It’s hard to lose. This is the hardest year I’ve had in terms of losses,” he said. “You live and die with it. It’s been extremely painful. For me, I go out and see fans every week. I know they are loyal Jets fans. But it’s hard every week to be disappointed with the thing you love, which is your team, is frustrating. They love their team, but they don’t like seeing it go through this kind of agony.”

So, what’s going to happen the Monday morning after the Jets finish their season in Miami? Is it the end of Ryan and/or Idzik?

“It’s safe to say you got to do things differently that you did to get you to this point,” he said. “The thing about football is that after every season, everybody is up for grabs. You take a look at everything. You’re trying to get to the Super Bowl. It doesn’t sound like I should even be saying that at this point. But that’s what my goal is. That’s what the fans want. They want to have a clear direction in terms of how they get to where they want to go. I have to give them confidence they are going to have a chance to get where they want to go.”

Idzik has been on the job 23 months. Johnson could not have imagined having to consider a change so quickly. “There’s been a lot of pressure on John,” he said. “This is a team sport. There are a lot of people involved.”

Does he have any regrets hiring somebody who made his reputation in the NFL handling the salary cap and not running a draft or pro personnel?

“No,” Johnson said.

But he could soon be looking for a new coach and general manager.

One of the few times Woody has actually sounded competent. I also believe through his comments, and the immense PR pressure he is facing, that a clean-house will occur.

Agreed.

It almost sounds like they were talking with his publicist or at least a person that knew what they were talking about.

The most improbable leg of the desired Trifecta of necessary occurrences to get this team back on track is having Johnson sell the team.

This thinking makes that a little more palatable. 

So when Idzik came on board he retained much if not all of the scouting department to help with that years draft.  Is that how it's normally done or can we expect a full house cleaning?  I want everyone that has anything to do with picking players gone immediately.  They've cost us 1 good coach and don't want them to start the new coach's tenure off on a bad foot.

So when Idzik came on board he retained much if not all of the scouting department to help with that years draft.  Is that how it's normally done or can we expect a full house cleaning?  I want everyone that has anything to do with picking players gone immediately.  They've cost us 1 good coach and don't want them to start the new coach's tenure off on a bad foot.

That's how it's normally done. These guys have been (for better or worse) preparing all year for the draft, and the new GM will go into the draft with their work to work with. Front offices generally don't turn over until after the draft. With all the teams working that same way, there are really no replacements available until after the draft - even if you wanted to clean house early.

That's how it's normally done. These guys have been (for better or worse) preparing all year for the draft, and the new GM will go into the draft with their work to work with. Front offices generally don't turn over until after the draft. With all the teams working that same way, there are really no replacements available until after the draft - even if you wanted to clean house early.

Maybe they can hire Bitonti and JiF as independent consultants?  Even though JiF has a childs brain I'm starting to think he can do a better job picking players than Idziks staff.

While NY Jets owner Woody Johnson insists mind not made up on Rex Ryan, John Idzik, sounds like he's ready to wield ax

By Gary Myers

I'm not saying that it isn't true, but is there anything in that article that indicates Idzik will fire Rex?  Seems like a strange headline compared to the text or else I am missing something.  I didn't see any quotes from Idzik at all. 

Other than bringing in Graves did Idzik hire anybody else on?  I know a couple of guys left, but otherwise it seems pretty much business as usual.  

Stellar .. another Terry Badway masterpiece. 

I know he pounded on the table for Wilson, jgb.

Maybe they can hire Bitonti and JiF as independent consultants?  Even though JiF has a childs brain I'm starting to think he can do a better job picking players than Idziks staff.

No, read back - Bitonti is Woody Johnson now. Minus his sheckles.

I'm not saying that it isn't true, but is there anything in that article that indicates Idzik will fire Rex?  Seems like a strange headline compared to the text or else I am missing something.  I didn't see any quotes from Idzik at all. 

Lol. Are you being snarky here? I can't tell.

I don't think Idzik is going to get a chance to fire Rex. Woody's gonna fire Idzik, first.

“It’s not a question of fondness,” Johnson said. “I’ve always thought he’s a very good coach. He’s an excellent coach, excellent teacher. The fans are going to want to see something different. They’re not going to let us get along and I don’t want to do exactly the same thing. So it’s going to be either the way we coach or the way we approach it. It could be with the same people. It might be with different people. That’s the case each and every year.”

While two years is not very long to give a general manager to get his program in place, Johnson said, “I can’t really comment whether it is short or long. I’m a fan, I represent the fans, we’re both frustrated by this.”

When it was suggested that nobody’s job is secure, he said, “This is a results-oriented business. You try to put a package together to help you right the ship.” He added, “We evaluate everybody. Everybody in football is evaluated. It’s going to happen at the end of the year, that’s the way we normally do it. That’s the way most teams do it.”

He's not coming right out and saying it because he believes in making these moves after, not during, the season, but it's pretty clear that he feels changes are in order in both the coaching of the team and the way we approach it. As ambiguous as he's being, you don't make those changes in philosophy without making changes with the people involved.

Other than bringing in Graves did Idzik hire anybody else on?  I know a couple of guys left, but otherwise it seems pretty much business as usual.

Graves is the only name I remember. He shuffled a couple titles. I don't know what he did with the scouting department, if anything.

Hopefully Woody is not listening to the fans/public opinion.  That's the absolute worse

way to make decisions.  Because one day they'll be throwing compliments at you and

the next they'll be cursing you out.  Ryan should go because he's been given ample time

in his position and the negative patterns that plague this team continue.  Idzik should

only be fired if he's been found incompetent not because the fans/media don't like him

Hopefully Woody is not listening to the fans/public opinion.  That's the absolute worse

way to make decisions.  Because one day they'll be throwing compliments at you and

the next they'll be cursing you out.  Ryan should go because he's been given ample time

in his position and the negative patterns that plague this team continue.  Idzik should

only be fired if he's been found incompetent not because the fans/media don't like him

Well two drafts have shown he is incompetent.   

I liked the approach and I liked his handling of the cap, but his drafting boardered on absured. 

Archived