Kiper doesn't think there's a franchise QB in the 2015 NFL Draft

Gen X Jet

I can't imagine this ever happening.   Why would Bradford sign with thehttps://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/543076391223570432 Jets if they already had Geno + Locker on the roster or vice versa?   

Bradford may be the best of the worst our there but he is made of glass.   What happens when he goes on IR - is it back to Geno or do we repeat again with another rookie?   

There is a pretty simple way for it to happen.  Locker is a FA.  Bradford isn't.  If they are willing to pay the $13M if Bradford is cut they will be pretty high up the waiver claim list.  They could also trade for the guy.  Rams are making noise about sticking with Bradford for 2015 though.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/543076391223570432

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I think we all understand that Kiper sucks... I don't think the people discussing alternatives to taking Mariota or Jameis are buying into what he's saying as fact, so the discussion is a matter of whether either QB has the stuff or not, and if another top 5 QB is the answer for us, not so much is Kiper good at his job.

Bradford and Locker????? Hahaha. You guys must forget the chad pennington days where the qb was on ir every year. Locker and bradford are wastes of time. They cant play cause they cant stay on the field.

Aaron rodgers fell down the draft board cause nobody thought he was a franchise qb. The jets need a qb. You take marriota.

calling Bradford a one year stop gap assumes he will play an entire year. The guy is always injured. 

As for Kiper, he could be right. but it they need to try anyway.

What's to lose? The opportunity to draft another Calvin Pryor? These contracts are so much smaller in the post CBA world, and Jets have so much cap space, taking a Mariota/Winston and having him fail, doesn't hurt at all. Just draft another guy next year. And the year after that. Until you find one. Let them compete.

What's the worst that can happen? 2-11?  We are at the bottom there is no setting the franchise back. This is as far back as it can be set. 

. -- There are no franchise quarterbacks in the coming NFL draft, according to ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr.

That said, Kiper believes the New York Jets will end up with Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston.

While neither is considered the next Andrew Luck, they’re good enough to warrant a high pick for a quarterback-needy team, Kiper said Thursday on a media conference call.

And we all know the Jets need a quarterback.

“One of those two, I would think, is going to be a New York Jet,” Kiper said.

Kiper stressed the importance of patience, saying the teams that draft Mariota and Winston would be wise to bring them along slowly, a la Aaron Rodgers with the Green Bay Packers. Problem is, it’s hard to do that in today’s NFL. It’s all about immediate gratification, especially with quarterbacks.

“There is really no franchise quarterback in this draft, even though Mariota could go No. 1,” Kiper said. “He’s not Andrew Luck. He’s not in that elite of elite category. Could he be really good? If you’re patient with him, if you wait and let him evolve, and we don’t write him off as a bust early on, then you’re fine.”

Kiper said the concern with Mariota is whether he has the accuracy to throw into tight windows. At Oregon, he plays in a spread system in which his receivers are generally wide open.

What about Winston? Kiper considered the Florida State star a franchise quarterback in 2013, and he still believes Winston has “a ton of talent,” but he has downgraded him based on accuracy issues, questionable reads, too many interceptions and off-the-field issues.

Kiper neglected to mention the most important stat of all: wins. Winston is undefeated in college, so he must be doing something right.

On Kiper’s Big Board in.gif, Mariota is the No. 1 overall prospect and Winston No. 6 -- based on the assumption they decide to turn pro.

Kiper isn’t ready to write off Geno Smith. He described Smith as a young player with some upside, but he also said the Jets should take Mariota or Winston, if available.

“This is what you do: If you’re the Jets, you evaluate Mariota and Winston against Geno Smith,” Kiper said. “You say, 'Hey, they’re a lot better than Geno Smith, we’ve got to take one of the two.' You figure out which one of the two to take.”

If it were only that easy.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/47113/kiper-mariota-and-winston-arent-elite-but-should-be-on-jets-radar

calling Bradford a one year stop gap assumes he will play an entire year. The guy is always injured. 

As for Kiper, he could be right. but it they need to try anyway.

What's to lose? The opportunity to draft another Calvin Pryor? These contracts are so much smaller in the post CBA world, and Jets have so much cap space, taking a Mariota/Winston and having him fail, doesn't hurt at all. Just draft another guy next year. And the year after that. Until you find one. Let them compete.

What's the worst that can happen? 2-11?  We are at the bottom there is no setting the franchise back. This is as far back as it can be set. 

Bradford is really an 8-game stop gap until he goes on the IR and Winston or Mariota start.  I don't think we're trading for him anyway he's owed $13 million next year and we need all the cap room we can get to fill the 5 million holes on our roster.

He's right. We finally go rock bottom and put ourselves in position to get a high pick and all the QB prospects are as meh as it gets.

Go Jets!

You realize that *many* years there aren't franchise QB locks available.  Here are the QBs taken in round 1 in recent years:

2014: Blake Bortles / Johnny Manziel.

2013: EJ Manuel

2012: Luck / RG3 / Tannehill / Brandon Weeden

2011: Cam Newton / Locker / Gabbert / Ponder

2010: Sam Bradford / Tim Tebow

2009: Stafford / Sanchez / Freeman

2008: Matt Ryan / Flacco

2015 looks to be not as good as 2012 and I guess 2008 (not that Matt Ryan was considered a "lock" given he went at 3), but on par / better than most of the other years IMO.

Bradford and Locker????? Hahaha. You guys must forget the chad pennington days where the qb was on ir every year. Locker and bradford are wastes of time. They cant play cause they cant stay on the field.

Aaron rodgers fell down the draft board cause nobody thought he was a franchise qb. The jets need a qb. You take marriota.

Rodgers was picked exactly where he should have been, late 1st rd, was well documented that his throwing motion wasn't great, the packers were able to fix it while he was favre understudy. If he was drafted by another team and played right away and had a QB coach who did not make necessary changes, then who knows where his career would be

How about very good? Will he be very good?  If so, I'll take it.  After almost 30 years of QB play that's rated somewhere between "meh" and "dogsh*t" 98% of the time, I'd settle for a QB who will be very good for 10-12 years.

I would even take good, although above average would be unacceptable.  Talk about diminished expectations.

I would even take good, although above average would be unacceptable.  Talk about diminished expectations.

No kidding...with a very good QB you can have a shot....having the worst QB year after year has gotten old.

:hand:

You guys do realize that these scouting reports are a guarantee of nothing, right?

If Mel Kiper were so good at judging talent, some NFL team would have hired him by now. He compared Jamarcus Russell to John Elway. He once staked his entire reputation on Jimmy Clausen being a star. And finally, Mel Kiper Jr. on Ryan Leaf: “His attitude will be an asset in the NFL and give him a mental advantage over [other players in his draft class].”

I dont need Mel Kiper to figure out that this years QB class is as mediocre as mediocre gets.  I watch enough college Football to make that observation and I've been saying this long before this report came out. 

And FWIW, Kiper is actually one of the most accurate of these guys.  Bit has posted it before...his track record is better than most.  All these guys have huge misses and blemishes on their resumes.  All of them.  Just like GM's, HC's and anyone who has ever been involved in drafting or analyzing a player for the draft.  So picking out a few misses and ignoring his homerun's really does nothing to support your position.  Everyone fails in that business and has a similar resume. 

I dont need Mel Kiper to figure out that this years QB class is as mediocre as mediocre gets.  I watch enough college Football to make that observation and I've been saying this long before this report came out. 

And FWIW, Kiper is actually one of the most accurate of these guys.  Bit has posted it before...his track record is better than most.  All these guys have huge misses and blemishes on their resumes.  All of them.  Just like GM's, HC's and anyone who has ever been involved in drafting or analyzing a player for the draft.  So picking out a few misses and ignoring his homerun's really does nothing to support your position.  Everyone falls in that business has a similar resume. 

See this is so true- geesh draft is a crap shoot-

You realize that *many* years there aren't franchise QB locks available.  Here are the QBs taken in round 1 in recent years:

2014: Blake Bortles / Johnny Manziel.

2013: EJ Manuel

2012: Luck / RG3 / Tannehill / Brandon Weeden

2011: Cam Newton / Locker / Gabbert / Ponder

2010: Sam Bradford / Tim Tebow

2009: Stafford / Sanchez / Freeman

2008: Matt Ryan / Flacco

2015 looks to be not as good as 2012 and I guess 2008 (not that Matt Ryan was considered a "lock" given he went at 3), but on par / better than most of the other years IMO.

Its not about being a "lock".  No player is ever a "lock".  Its about the fact these guys are such mediocre prospects it's depressing.  We finally hit rock bottom and neither of these guys are special player, IMO.  One is a complete disaster dumb ass who probably has the highest ceiling and the other is a system QB who I have serious concerns of ever being able to sit in the pocket and dissect an NFL D, make the right reads and deliver the ball in a window.

Who knows?  Maybe I'm just a Jets fan and everything always sucks. 

Its not about being a "lock".  No player is ever a "lock".  Its about the fact these guys are such mediocre prospects it's depressing.  We finally hit rock bottom and neither of these guys are special player, IMO.  One is a complete disaster dumb ass who probably has the highest ceiling and the other is a system QB who I have serious concerns of ever being able to sit in the pocket and dissect an NFL D, make the right reads and deliver the ball in a window.

All I'm saying is that this year isn't spectacularly bad.  It's clearly better than 2013, probably than 2014 as well.  But we didn't hit the jackpot either.

And FWIW, Kiper is actually one of the most accurate of these guys.  Bit has posted it before...his track record is better than most.  All these guys have huge misses and blemishes on their resumes.  All of them.  Just like GM's, HC's and anyone who has ever been involved in drafting or analyzing a player for the draft.  So picking out a few misses and ignoring his homerun's really does nothing to support your position.  Everyone falls in that business has a similar resume. 

Give the Lions credit for going away from their biggest needs to take receiver Mike Williams. I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction

Ki-Jana [Carter] could be the next Bo Jackson.

Akili Smith will be a great NFL player and would finally provide the Cincinnati Bengals with the passer they'd lacked since Boomer Esiason.

[Jim] Druckenmiller is by far the best QB in the draft, and should have gone in the top ten.

J.J. Stokes is a sure thing. A future All-Pro.

I don't care how much you like his work ethic, he [Wes Welker] has done nothing to show a value that high.

I've spoken to some actual NFL guys. What they told me is that the consensus amongst virtually all league personnel.guys and scouts is that Kiper is inaccurate, incompetent and not much more than a self promoting blowhard.

Before you just spout out nonsense about a player you never watch, maybe you should actually read people's assessments of him. I suggest reading this guy's twitter analysis, for a start. https://twitter.com/R0nPlckettNFL

All I'm saying is that this year isn't spectacularly bad.  It's clearly better than 2013, probably than 2014 as well.  But we didn't hit the jackpot either.

Its pretty bad, IMO.  Whatevs.  Its a crap shoot.

Give the Lions credit for going away from their biggest needs to take receiver Mike Williams. I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction

Ki-Jana [Carter] could be the next Bo Jackson.

Akili Smith will be a great NFL player and would finally provide the Cincinnati Bengals with the passer they'd lacked since Boomer Esiason.

[Jim] Druckenmiller is by far the best QB in the draft, and should have gone in the top ten.

J.J. Stokes is a sure thing. A future All-Pro.

I don't care how much you like his work ethic, he [Wes Welker] has done nothing to show a value that high.

He's paid to make bold predictions in a business where there is a 76% failure rate among the commodity he's analyzing.  His counterparts, are equally as terrible and you're examples are players that pretty much everyone had similar opinions of.

He mocks pretty well.  He ranks pretty high usually.  And you're not providing his hits.   So GFY

Before you just spout out nonsense about a player you never watch, maybe you should actually read people's assessments of him. I suggest reading this guy's twitter analysis, for a start. https://twitter.com/R0nPlckettNFL

You know what I watch?  That's not creepy at all.  

I clicked on the link and I have no idea what I'm reading.  Not a social media guy.

Its pretty bad, IMO.  Whatevs.  Its a crap shoot.

He's paid to make bold predictions in a business where there is a 76% failure rate among the commodity he's analyzing.  His counterparts, are equally as terrible and you're examples are players that pretty much everyone had similar opinions of.

He mocks pretty well.  He ranks pretty high usually.  And you're not providing his hits.   So GFY

Kiper rated LaDainian Tomlinson third-best running back in 2001 draft, behind Deuce McAllister and Michael Bennett.

"That’s why [they] keep picking number two every year(commenting on the Colts picking Marshall Faulk)"

"They could go 0-16"(commenting on the 2001 Patriots)

"Guard Logan Mankins was a reach in the first round"

"Andre Ware is going to be a great NFL quarterback"

Kiper rated LaDainian Tomlinson third-best running back in 2001 draft, behind Deuce McAllister and Michael Bennett.

"That’s why [they] keep picking number two every year(commenting on the Colts picking Marshall Faulk)"

"They could go 0-16"(commenting on the 2001 Patriots)

"Guard Logan Mankins was a reach in the first round"

"Andre Ware is going to be a great NFL quarterback"

:hand:

Scroll down until he starts talking about Mariota.

I dont know who Ron Pickett is, but none of those examples are any type of proof that he's a next level player.  Hitting an underneath route vs. a cover 3 is elementary type sh*t.  Opening up your shoulders and delivering a strike is pretty much QB 101. But hey, he puts nice touch on the ball when a player is wide-open!  Haha.

Archived