Decker

Section 333

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — Eric Decker went from playing in the Super Bowl a year ago to simply playing for pride during the final weeks of this season.

Through it all, the New York Jets wide receiver has no regrets.

Decker refuses to look back at what might have been if the Denver Broncos wanted to re-sign him.

The fact is, they didn’t, and he came to New York with big hopes for the Big Apple.

Instead, he has endured a 2-11 season with the futures of his coach, general manager and many of his teammates uncertain.

“I mean, honestly, going from a good team or an average team or the record we’re at now, it’s very small,” Decker said Thursday. “The details, honestly, separate the great from the good, and the great from the average. It’s about your preparation, details of how you practice, details of how you watch film, the details of doing things the right way.

“We’re very close.”

It might sound perhaps delusional to some, but several players other than Decker have insisted over the past few weeks that the Jets aren’t as bad as the record indicates. They see signs of hope, that things can be turned around with some major offseason tweaks.

Many fans and media believe wholesale changes are in store for the Jets, who will miss the playoffs for the fourth straight season under Rex Ryan.

Owner Woody Johnson will have major decisions to make as far as Ryan and GM John Idzik, and he told the New York Daily News at the NFL meetings in Dallas that this has been “the hardest year I’ve had in terms of losses.”

“I’m a fan, I represent the fans. We’re both frustrated by this,” Johnson told the newspaper. “Ultimately, I am going to have to look for something that I believe is going to right the ship, whether it’s the current way, the way we are doing it now with the people we have now or going down a different pathway. I’m looking at everything. I’m analyzing what’s happened and why it’s happened.”

“He’s invested a lot of stuff into this organization and this team, and our job as players is performance,” said Decker, who leads the Jets with 55 catches. “He can’t control performance. He can control what he provides us and what he does to help us as far as athletes.

“It’s one of the best organizations in the NFL, so for us, we’ve got to find a way to get some more wins. It’s frustrating the locker room and we’re the ones grinding on the field every day, and it’s got to be frustrated for him as well because this is really his organization and he wants to see success.”

But that could mean a new GM, a new coach and several new players, a massive amount of turnover for a team that has lost by 20 or more points three times — but by 14 or fewer eight times this season.

“Obviously, there’s certain pieces throughout a team or certain bounces throughout a year that help you along the way,” Decker said, “but for us, we’ve got to find our identity, do the little things right and just keep chipping away because it will turn.

“I don’t think it’s far off at all from being a playoff kind of team.”

Decker is also realist, though, and he knows changes are coming to some extent.

“There’s pieces, obviously, that we’ll need to help us be a better football team,” Decker said. “That’s a question for the personnel department, for management, to make. As far as the core of this team, the guys that we have in this locker room, there’s a reason why we’re all here. We’re not performing well enough to get victories and there’s questions and answers behind that, but I feel that the core of this team is definitely championship-minded and championship athletes.”

Moving forward, though, that core could be led by someone other than Ryan on the field. The coach understands — and shares — Johnson’s disappointment over how this season has unfolded.

Ryan insisted he is focused only on the team’s next game at Tennessee on Sunday, and Johnson is “justified” in whatever he decides at the end of the season.

That includes the fate of the coach.

“I mean, I love Rex,” Decker said. “That’s one of the reasons why I came here. … He’s been a great players’ coach as far as taking care of you, doing things and providing you with things, and being real with you when you ask questions. I have the utmost respect for him. That’s out of my control as far as what’s going to happen next year, but I definitely appreciate and respect him.”

**** that. It's to long, I'm not reading it.

Here are the highlights..............

“I mean, honestly, going from a good team or an average team or the record we’re at now, it’s very small,” Decker said Thursday. “The details, honestly, separate the great from the good, and the great from the average. It’s about your preparation, details of how you practice, details of how you watch film, the details of doing things the right way.

“We’re very close.”

“We’re very close.”

I wonder what the difference is. Peyton Geno??

“We’re very close.”

Very close to what?

The Jets are in complete shambles and it will take years to correct the situation.

Very close to what?

The Jets are in complete shambles and it will take years to correct the situation.

You never know

It only took one season for Mo Lewis and Walt Coleman to completely reverse the shambles Bill Beliache had made of the Patriots in 2001-2

“We’re very close.”

Sounds like a coaching issue to me

i was thinking about this after that minnesota loss and i have to say, it's a shame that this defense, albeit not what we're used to, isn't that bad.  i don't think this team is 2-11 because of poor defensive play.  save a couple really bad losses, most of these games are close or within one score.  the defense has played relatively well for having such a poor secondary.  the defense is a product of the poor offensive play, constantly being thrown on the field after bad turnovers or 3 and outs.

what's killing this team is clearly the QB position.  if this team had even a serviceable QB (A. Smith, Fitzpatrick, Hill)  i think they'd be much closer to .500.

Very close to what?

Actully the Jets are closer than you may think. if they get the first pick in the draft and take Mariota and have 44 mil in cap space to fill holes they could step right back into contention if the right moves are made. It will all depend on the new GM and HC .... On offense we need a few WR's that are of NFL caliber a number 1 if at all possible or if one is available. Then we need to sign a top corner who can actually play and stay on the field. If a Decent QB is available (Hoyer or Locker) to start for a year while Mariota sits and learns that might not be a bad option either if the kid learns fast and impresses the coaching staff maybe he gets some playing time and valuable NFL exp the last 4 or 5 games of the season and comes in and starts in year 2 with some time under his belt

the players love Rex. the owner likes Rex. the fans (except for Shane) tolerate Rex.

meanwhile, no one loves, likes, tolerates or even respects John Idzik.

make the right choice Woody.

The right choice is to get rid of both of them. I like Rex too, but it's time to move on.

Actully the Jets are closer than you may think. if they get the first pick in the draft and take Mariota and have 44 mil in cap space to fill holes they could step right back into contention if the right moves are made. It will all depend on the new GM and HC .... On offense we need a few WR's that are of NFL caliber a number 1 if at all possible or if one is available. Then we need to sign a top corner who can actually play and stay on the field. If a Decent QB is available (Hoyer or Locker) to start for a year while Mariota sits and learns that might not be a bad option either if the kid learns fast and impresses the coaching staff maybe he gets some playing time and valuable NFL exp the last 4 or 5 games of the season and comes in and starts in year 2 with some time under his belt

wow, that's alot of ifs!! I do however dig your optimistic appraisal of the situation.

Exactly! I have never heard a group of losers, who barley scratched out 2 wins in 13 games, seeking out microphones to spew their ignorant opinions. Shut up, finish this season with your tail between your legs and when you see a microphone avoid it. If you can't avoid it just apologize.

Stop telling us how close you are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At least the Va-Giants are smart enough to lay low.

Yeah, I'm sure he sought out the microphone, idiot. Shut up.

“We’re very close.”

a mere 8 or 9 wins away. very close

If you say the team sucks, you're a cancer who blames everyone but himself.

If you say the team is basically good and not too far away, you're a delusional retard who should shut up.

If you shut up and don't answer questions, you're a selfish player who doesn't realize that part of his well-paid job is dealing with the media.

14 posts in and calling people idiots and telling them to shut up. I find this type of insecurity fascinating. Please threaten to beat me up LOL

What are the chances you are here from JI?

Yep

But shevys is OK

But JN has been lucky. Most of the worst sludge slithered to the home brewed R R site

If you say the team sucks, you're a cancer who blames everyone but himself.

If you say the team is basically good and not too far away, you're a delusional retard who should shut up.

If you shut up and don't answer questions, you're a selfish player who doesn't realize that part of his well-paid job is dealing with the media.

Yeah.  He said about the only thing he could say and not be labeled a a locker room problem. The guy was just trying not to throw his teammates under the bus.  However, if you read between the lines, he was calling out the coaching staff and the front office.

the players love Rex. the owner likes Rex. the fans (except for Shane) tolerate Rex. 

The only right choice is to get rid of both of them.  Keeping Rex would be a horrific choice.

No one loves Rex as much as you seem to

Not even Mrs Rex

Brad Pitt...Angelina?? Not even close to your "amore" for WRECKS.

14 posts in and calling people idiots and telling them to shut up. I find this type of insecurity fascinating. Please threaten to beat me up LOL

What are the chances you are here from JI?

My bad. How many posts should I make before I question someone's intelligence? 

Archived