End of Year Awards (Your opinion doesn't matter)

RutgersJetFan

Album of the Year: Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2, Real Estate - Atlas

Song of the Year: TV on the Radio - Lazerray, Run the Jewels - Oh My

Movie of the Year: Snowpiercer, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

Book of the Year: The Martian - Andy Weir

Show of the Year: The Leftovers

I can only comment on Movie of the Year and Show of the Year.

Snowpiercer was messed up but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Leftovers? Simply excellent!

Album of the Year: "The Endless River", Pink Floyd

Song of the Year: "Foil", Weird Al Yankovic

Movie of the Year: "Interstellar", Christopher Nolan

Book of the Year: "The War That Ended Peace:  The Road to 1914" by Margaret MacMillan

Show of the Year: The Americans, FX Network

i watched it last night and the whole ******* thing is preposterous. 

Well yeah, all scifi is.  

But there is no future where Polar Bears eat anything but seals, and seals aren't in the Himalayas.  And if my train crashes in the himalayas and I have to make a list of smart things to do, "walking away from my resource-rich train, up a barren mountain, toward a polar bear who hasn't seen a seal in months" won't make the list.

Well yeah, all scifi is.  

But there is no future where Polar Bears eat anything but seals, and seals aren't in the Himalayas.  And if my train crashes in the himalayas and I have to make a list of smart things to do, "walking away from my resource-rich train, up a barren mountain, toward a polar bear who hasn't seen a seal in months" won't make the list.

I love sci fi and can totally suspend disbelief for the fun of it but we could start this from the opening scene. I enjoyed the movie. It was entertaining. But movie of the year? Put the pipe down RJF.

• 2 weeks later...

Rutgers is correct about The Martian by Andy Weir. 

I haven't read a sci-fi book since high school (20+years). I only have time for tech journals and business books because I'm a mature stuffy grown-up and stuff. I bought the book as a holiday luxury for myself...and it literally took over my life for a week. It's definitely worth your time. 

Honorable mention for Black Messiah btw. That this didn't turn out to be Chinese Democracy Part Deux is really impressive on its own.

Just listened to Chinese Democracy again. There are 5-6 great songs on there.

I think the problem was the anticipation, there was no way it could ever live up to the hype.

Archived