Idzik involved in early stages of coaching search

JOJOTOWNSELL

No. At this point, your best case scenario is that someone pulls Woody to the side at a Super Bowl party and convinces him that his organization is viewed as a toxic waste dump around the league and that he needs to hire a fixer (Polian/Parcells/etc) to come in and fumigate. Barring that, the next best option is to pray to Holy God that Idzik's long-term plan starts to bear fruit early on next season and, as a result, demonstrates to the rest of the NFL that the owner isn't an impetuous, meddling jackass.

The worst case scenario is that Woody fires Idzik, the rest of the league continues to point and laugh at him, and the very mention of working for him becomes a running joke in agent circles.

Browns cleaned house after one season, and they improved significantly this season. 

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. At this point, your best case scenario is that someone pulls Woody to the side at a Super Bowl party and convinces him that his organization is viewed as a toxic waste dump around the league and that he needs to hire a fixer (Polian/Parcells/etc) to come in and fumigate. Barring that, the next best option is to pray to Holy God that Idzik's long-term plan starts to bear fruit early on next season and, as a result, demonstrates to the rest of the NFL that the owner isn't an impetuous, meddling jackass.

The worst case scenario is that Woody fires Idzik, the rest of the league continues to point and laugh at him, and the very mention of working for him becomes a running joke in agent circles.

As bad as the drafts seem to be, and they certainly don't seem very promising, I still am not sure you fire your GM after only two years, unless there's someone who you just have to hire. I have no idea who that someone is, that's just my scenario for Idzik being fired.  

A QB and a head coach go a decent way towards righting the ship, I just have no idea who they're going to land after falling out of the top 5. They'll probably have a middling record next year and be out of the running for any elite QB talent.  I don't see this franchise doing anything for a very long time. 

He did a good job with the Revis trade and the Richardson pick. It's largely been downhill from there.

Alternately, he took the QB that every other team passed on, many of them twice, and then banked on him. The only alternative he provided was an older, has-been, Geno-like QB who also enjoys turning the ball over at an alarming rate. With decent QB names available throughout the last draft, in which he had 12 picks, he passed on all of them until a sixth round comp pick, and missed.

Most important position on the field, and he hasn't don't nearly enough there.

Both young CBs had extensive injury histories prior to this season. It was shocking -shocking, I say!- when they both went down to injury. There were decent names available in free agency, and he missed on all of them. Even without the injury concerns, relying on a third rounder to start is a bad plan. Compounded by the Patterson signing. He completely botched the position.

Cleaning up the cap was common sense and most of his moves in that regard could've been executed by practically anyone who's been a regular poster here for a couple years. I'll even give him the first year of fielding a team completely void of talent. This year, there's no excuse.

Safety and tight end are bottom rung positions in the NFL, and if you're gonna use high picks on them, you had better hit home runs. Instead, he's got a safety who we all hope someday lives up to his potential, and a TE who looks like a middle of the road starter, maybe, at this point. Meanwhile, premium positions like CB and WR were also massive needs on this team, and after all his great work there, they're still huge positions of need.

Applauding him in one breath for not signing anyone to outrageous contracts, then congratulating him for the Harvin trade is a tad contradictory. You can still say they don't have weapons, because Harvin is more gadget player than true WR, and he's also gonna be tough to keep.

The best WR in free agency was DeSean Jackson, who would've been a tremendously better pickup than Percy Harvin, and wouldn't've cost a draft pick.

Rex needing to go doesn't make Idzik any good.

Being smart doesn't mean anything if you don't have the aptitude for the position you're in. Idzik has no talent for evaluating talent, which is easily the most important skill for a GM to have. Any underling exec could manage the cap. His slow, deliberate, methodical way of doing things paralyzes him when it comes to making draft day trades or signing free agents. Everyone else is capable of moving faster than him, leaving him with his dick in his hand.

Most importantly, though, the man is obviously on the hot seat. The best head coaching candidates will take other opportunities before they sign on with a GM who, himself, needs to win in a hurry or face the ax. It's bad enough having a lesser candidate at GM because of the Rex requirement. Having that lesser candidate try to bring in a new head coach is doubling down on that bad idea, and just extending the status quo around here - never truly cleaning house, and never having the whole team completely on the same page. It's always either the GM throwing the coach under the bus with the Jets or vice versa. This is the perfect time to start over.

Idzik has to go.

Reasonable counter arguments to all my points, thanks for the thoughtful consideration.  I would quibble with the corner back assessment.  Milliner had injuries but managed to play every game in college and played most of his first year here and finished strong.  A torn achilles is not something you can predict or blame on previous injury history, it's a little flukish.  McDougle had a broken scapula in college, not something that should have carried over and then he tore an ACl, also hard to predict. On Geno, you can say he banked on him but being a 2nd rounder the long term financial committment was not crippling and there really wasn't a better alternative as Sanchez had worn out his welcome and there were no great vet free agents to pick up.

The bottom line, I think, is that you have seen enough to judge him incompetent after two years while I like the logic and direction of his plan and think it can succeed given more time.  We'll see what Woody does and agree to disagree.

Perfect point. He completely undermined Rex's effort's this season. I hate Rex and think Idzik should have quit when Woody made the decision to keep Rex. At least Iggy could have kept his self respect and NOT had to resort to undermining anyone. He should go because he has no integrity.

Idzik took the job knowing full well that Rex was a job requirement, just like everyone else who interviewed.

like it or not Idzik being 20 mil under the cap was Woodys call, its like blaming Sandy Alderson for the Mets payroll.

This is pure speculation, and based on Woody's spending prior to the Idzik hire, probably purely false as well.

There's a tremendous middle ground there, where Woody fires Idzik and hires a qualified GM who steps in and does a significantly better job. Without the Rex requirement, the requirement to trade the team's best player, and the cap nightmare, the job is dramatically more attractive than it was two years ago.

You don't stick with Idzik on a prayer just because there's not a Bill Parcells II knocking on your door. You make the move to get better.

Reasonable counter arguments to all my points, thanks for the thoughtful consideration.  I would quibble with the corner back assessment.  Milliner had injuries but managed to play every game in college and played most of his first year here and finished strong.  A torn achilles is not something you can predict or blame on previous injury history, it's a little flukish.  McDougle had a broken scapula in college, not something that should have carried over and then he tore an ACl, also hard to predict. On Geno, you can say he banked on him but being a 2nd rounder the long term financial committment was not crippling and there really wasn't a better alternative as Sanchez had worn out his welcome and there were no great vet free agents to pick up.

The bottom line, I think, is that you have seen enough to judge him incompetent after two years while I like the logic and direction of his plan and think it can succeed given more time.  We'll see what Woody does and agree to disagree.

Millner sucked. Injury history is a side note.

Geno isn't even the best QB on the roster, let alone available last offseason.

Well your logic dictates that some draft selections are worthless, which is incredibly false.

Milliner: Not sure what quality you are speaking of; he was benched more games than ones he was productive.

Richardson: Granted, but one player does not make a draft.

Geno: This makes no sense. There was a reason every team who needed a QB last year (and there were many) passed on him. He was a prospect on the decline, rather than value, and has been a waste of QB play for two seasons.

Pryor: See Milliner, and also has attitude problems.

No it doesn't

One player often makes a draft, particularly when they're as good as Richardson.  Jets makes that Geno pick 10/10  times in that draft.

No it doesn't

One player often makes a draft, particularly when they're as good as Richardson.  Jets makes that Geno pick 10/10  times in that draft.

I fail to see how your response still relinqushes Idzik of blame for his poor drafting aside from Richardson? And they very well may, but there is a reason every other QB starving team passed on him. Moreover, if they knew he would develop this poorly; they would have never sniffed him.

I fail to see how your response still relinqushes Idzik of blame for his poor drafting aside from Richardson? And they very well may, but there is a reason every other QB starving team passed on him. Moreover, if they knew he would develop this poorly; they would have never sniffed him.

Teams passed on Rodgers too. That stuff happens. I still think Geno can be a good QB, and I like Milliner and Pryor away from Rex. Milliner was really good to close 2013.

It isn't overrated. Idzik dealt with a HC/OC who have shown that not only are they not able to adjust but players who have left the program have thrived under coaches and coordinators who know how to get the best out of their players provided. 

All im saying is that Idzik provides the ingredients, we need someone who knows how to run a kitchen. Not every player is going to be Sheldon Richardson. Lets be honest here since we're talking about "drafts" in the 6 years that Rex has been the head coach who has he developed? Tanny was around here for 4 of those years, who has Rex developed in the 6 years worth of draft picks? I could name 3 guys which in all honesty I could really say just 1 because 2 of the 3 were first round draft picks which are Wilkerson and Richardson. The only guy in the 6 years Rex has been the HC that I seen a guy actually developed came in during the Tanny years which was Demario Davis. He came in raw and developed into a starter. 

Let me put this on record. Im in no way saying that Idzik hasn't had his share of issues, an imploded season is problem enough obviously. Im not saying that by no means should Idzik be fired. If he's canned then it is what it is, but lets be serious here, Rex Ryan took two teams to the AFC championship game that he didnt build and in the 4 years he had with Tanny he gave us the likes of Kyle Wilson, John Connor, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Josh Bush, Vlad Ducasse, Joe McKnight etc, etc. 

These guys drafted above were under Tanny's watch with Rex here, the same Tanny who gave you Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, David Harris, Leon Washington, Brad Smith and a Mark Sanchez who's not looking too bad out in Philly. The problem I see here is the coaching. Tanny found talent before Rex Ryan became coach. When Rex came in it was like every draft pick was a bust. Idzik comes in and under Rex its like every draft pick is a bust, but whats funny with that is that It was Idzik who found Sheldon Richardson, a DROTY or the same Tanny who found Revis, Washington, Mangold, D'Brick etc. A kid who didnt need development. The point here is that not all talent will be like Sheldon Richardson or Mo Wilkerson. Some talent is going to be like a Quinton Coples or a Geno Smith. Idzik's job isn't to develop talent, its to provide the talent. I think Rex Ryan has clearly shown that not only can he not develop talent, but he cannot run an offense which clearly shows that he's not a HC, he cannot comprehend that if he doesnt have Revis and Cromartie then stop jailbreak blitzing and exposing your secondary. 

Marty has also clearly shown why Andy Reid did not take him to Kansas City. Trust me, Idzik could possibly be a problem, but I can't say that its a fact until we get rid of the obviously clear problems which is Rex, Marty and a few other coaches and coordinators. Sorry for being longwinded. 

I understand where you are coming.  One thing I didn't say in my post earlier that should be considered is how we were in desparate need of wide receivers and corners this year.  He signed Decker which is great but we needed more.  He didn't take one until the 4th round and the guy isn't on the team and injuries have hurt his other 4th rounder.  That being said he should have taken Martavius Bryant or receivers earlier.

As for corner he was banking on a journeyman corner, and two corners with huge injury concerns.  He neglected areas of need for this team and had 12 picks this year to address it.  Instead he gets a safety not needed, a tight end with potential and who I like but I feel tight ends don't need to be drafted in the first two rounds.  A cb with potential but had huge injury history and was a reach by many.  A fourth round wr who could've been had in the 5th or 6th, another wr who got injured an oline who is being redshirted.  The draft for him has been horrible.

As for Rex and Marty I don't disagree.  They haven't helped and will be looking for a new job in two weeks.

I wonder if Rex is lining up various head coaching interviews as we speak?????

Rex, having won both the Snoopy Bowl and the Toilet Bowl  ( against Titans).... is a real hot commodity. LOL

Frankly, I think he would be a bust on TV also, I can stand to hear him stammer and stumble.

All im saying is that Idzik provides the ingredients, we need someone who knows how to run a kitchen. Not every player is going to be Sheldon Richardson. Lets be honest here since we're talking about "drafts" in the 6 years that Rex has been the head coach who has he developed? Tanny was around here for 4 of those years, who has Rex developed in the 6 years worth of draft picks? I could name 3 guys which in all honesty I could really say just 1 because 2 of the 3 were first round draft picks which are Wilkerson and Richardson. The only guy in the 6 years Rex has been the HC that I seen a guy actually developed came in during the Tanny years which was Demario Davis. He came in raw and developed into a starter. Let me put this on record. Im in no way saying that Idzik hasn't had his share of issues, an imploded season is problem enough obviously. Im not saying that by no means should Idzik be fired. If he's canned then it is what it is, but lets be serious here, Rex Ryan took two teams to the AFC championship game that he didnt build and in the 4 years he had with Tanny he gave us the likes of Kyle Wilson, John Connor, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Josh Bush, Vlad Ducasse, Joe McKnight etc, etc.

..... Yes, thank you.  All intelligent points.  I am not crazy about Idzik methods either, but he didn't spend the owners money foolishly , like

Tanny did.  The 2014 draft will look better as Pryor and Amaro and IK and McDougle all develop under better coaching.    I really think

we will do much better next year with a better coach than Rex..... who was always overrated by the media and by SOME posters.

Rex, having won both the Snoopy Bowl and the Toilet Bowl ( against Titans).... is a real hot commodity. LOL

Frankly, I think he would be a bust on TV also, I can stand to hear him stammer and stumble.

He's got the CBS shtick down already:

1. Mumble weird nonsense.

2. Make lame self-deprecating joke.

3. Laugh obnoxiously loud.

Yeah...."and things like that"  can't do that as a commentator...

And all that kind of stuff. They'll take away some of his Rexisms and he won't like that.

Rex has to be true to himself at all times.

He ended the game yesterday with a major f-bomb on camera again. 

Should be a massive fine if the league catches it.

what has Idzig done to warrant his continued employment with the jets. There are those who keep pointing to Richardson-as I recall he was the second of his two first round draft choices. The first hasn't proven a thing. The cap space was created at the expense of not signing competent corner or other NFL caliber player. If his mission was to sabotage the existing coaching staff-he was a success. There were numerous one year contracts he could have brought on board without hurting future cap space including one competent former jet corner.

12 or 13 draft choices this year and how many seem destined for a long NFL future?? Tanny had his faults but filled in the blanks in the lineup with far more quality and seemed to satisfy cap requirements along the way. I seriously doubt Woody Johnson put money restrictions on the I man.

I believe there is little question that Ryan will have offers from both the network and NFL teams within hours of his departure-How many offers will Idzig  get if we are fortunate to his release as well??

what has Idzig done to warrant his continued employment with the jets. 

I don't think it is about what Idzik *has* done as much as the implications of firing him. The Jets already have a tough sell to top coaching candidates. The GM has been poor at bringing useful talent, alienated player agents with his negotiating tactics and is on the hotseat himself. How long does woody stick with Idzik? If they have another 0-4 win season? IS that coach going to be fired with Idzik or are they going to have another situation where a coach is forced on the incoming GM which in turn means top GM candidates won't be interested. 

It was a disaster from the moment that Woody decided to stick with Rex and that forced a lower level of candidate. Now, Idzik is stripping the team of what little talent there already was and bringing free agent flops...when he brings someone in at all. No top coaching candidate is going to want to walk into this situation. That could mean Idzik and whatever schlub coaches the team next season get fired after 1 year....which will mean the Jets look like a circus that doesn't give people the chance to turn it around.

So they probably need to wait 3 years for whatever incoming coach to see what he can do before they can clean house and even have a product that a top tier candidate would be willing to take 10+ million a year to coach.

I understand where you are coming.  One thing I didn't say in my post earlier that should be considered is how we were in desparate need of wide receivers and corners this year.  He signed Decker which is great but we needed more.  He didn't take one until the 4th round and the guy isn't on the team and injuries have hurt his other 4th rounder.  That being said he should have taken Martavius Bryant or receivers earlier.

As for corner he was banking on a journeyman corner, and two corners with huge injury concerns.  He neglected areas of need for this team and had 12 picks this year to address it.  Instead he gets a safety not needed, a tight end with potential and who I like but I feel tight ends don't need to be drafted in the first two rounds.  A cb with potential but had huge injury history and was a reach by many.  A fourth round wr who could've been had in the 5th or 6th, another wr who got injured an oline who is being redshirted.  The draft for him has been horrible.

As for Rex and Marty I don't disagree.  They haven't helped and will be looking for a new job in two weeks.

I think that the draft situation was less of a catastrophe than what people see it as. Idzik signed Eric Decker to a 4 year contract. Decker imo is better than every rookie that came out this year (at the moment). This is why Idzik didnt go WR in the first few rounds, but lets just say if he did. Lets say Idzik had the opportunity to draft Odell Beckham and he did...do you think that Odell would be having the year that he's having with the Giants here with the Jets? Do you think Marty and Rex would be able to utilize Odell's talent? 

Odell has 1000 yards receiving and 9TD's on 71 receptions, and he missed the entire month of september. Do you think that Odell would have these numbers if he played in the same stadium but with a green and white Jersey? I think it would be safe to say that we would be talking about how Odell is a bust rather than him having 1000 yards and damn near 10TD's as a Jets rookie wideout. And in that statement lies the problem. How do you know if drafting a Martavis Bryant, an Odell Beckham, a Jordan Matthews, or in past years an Alshon Jeffery or TY Hilton would even help a team that's coaching staff has shown for over a half-decade cannot develop talent at any position. 

Vladimir Ducasse is playing better football for the Vikings than he's ever played in a Jets uni. Mark Sanchez has had as many milestones in his first 5 games with the Eagles as he did in his first 5 years in a Jets uni. 

I totally get what you are saying, my response is that "every draft has been a bust with Rex and Marty" If anyone can show me a draft contrary to my statement then I will agree that Idzik could be more of a problem than Im giving him credit for. But when I see that Rex has had 6 consecutive bad draft years as well as his inability to develop any talent, to get proven talent to maintain production (Decker, Harvin, Vick) then I am going to simply gravitate to that. 

..... Yes, thank you.  All intelligent points.  I am not crazy about Idzik methods either, but he didn't spend the owners money foolishly , like

Tanny did.  The 2014 draft will look better as Pryor and Amaro and IK and McDougle all develop under better coaching.    I really think

we will do much better next year with a better coach than Rex..... who was always overrated by the media and by SOME posters.

Thanks for the compliment. I dont know how Dennis byrd was quoted with my comment, but I blame Maxman for this discrepancy totally! :-)

I think that Idzik should have the opportunity to provide his own coaching staff from the HC down. Some say that Rex wasnt "forced" on Idzik because it was a condition that he agreed to, then if that is so then it should also be reasonable to allow the man who accepted this condition to be able to establish his own staff if in fact what he "agreed" to didnt work. 

If you fire Idzik then that means that not only was it a waste of time to even hire him, but it was a mistake to make such a condition to hire a GM without firing the HC to begin with...which that part has already shown itself to be rather obvious. If its a situation where we can get harbaugh but it means firing Idzik and letting Harbaugh run everything then fine, but its not like there's going to be a lot of high profile proven winning head coaches that are available, and even if they were why would they want to come here with no QB in place? Let Idzik build something for once. 

Thanks for the compliment. I dont know how Dennis byrd was quoted with my comment, but I blame Maxman for this discrepancy totally! :-)

I think that Idzik should have the opportunity to provide his own coaching staff from the HC down. Some say that Rex wasnt "forced" on Idzik because it was a condition that he agreed to, then if that is so then it should also be reasonable to allow the man who accepted this condition to be able to establish his own staff if in fact what he "agreed" to didnt work. 

If you fire Idzik then that means that not only was it a waste of time to even hire him, but it was a mistake to make such a condition to hire a GM without firing the HC to begin with...which that part has already shown itself to be rather obvious. If its a situation where we can get harbaugh but it means firing Idzik and letting Harbaugh run everything then fine, but its not like there's going to be a lot of high profile proven winning head coaches that are available, and even if they were why would they want to come here with no QB in place? Let Idzik build something for once. 

The bold is almost certainly true, and it's better to admit that and move on rather than keep a bad hire on just to pretend he was a good idea.

The Jets were choosing from a smaller, lesser, pool of candidates because of the Rex requirement, and a result we got a lesser GM. Remove that restriction, as well as the mandate to trade Revis, the bad cap situation, etc., and this job is significantly more attractive than it was two years ago - and the quality of candidates should be more attractive as a result.  

The bold is almost certainly true, and it's better to admit that and move on rather than keep a bad hire on just to pretend he was a good idea.

The Jets were choosing from a smaller, lesser, pool of candidates because of the Rex requirement, and a result we got a lesser GM. Remove that restriction, as well as the mandate to trade Revis, the bad cap situation, etc., and this job is significantly more attractive than it was two years ago - and the quality of candidates should be more attractive as a result.  

My point is that I dont know if it was a bad hire, I do certainly know that keeping Rex was. To some degree I will agree that given the conditions we were only able to hire a lesser GM, but that lesser part is only based on experience. Every GM in history was once a rookie GM. John Idzik could be a total bust of a GM. All im saying is that we cannot say that we know it for sure. 

I get that moving on from him may provide us with a proven HC for example, and if that is the case then hey, fire him. But I honestly cannot say that John Idzik dropped the ball with the draft when Rex Ryan has been notorious in showing that he has no idea how to develop talent on either side of the ball. This is why I stated some weeks ago that maybe Karl Dunbar should be promoted to DC. Everything that man touched has produced for this team. Kendrick Ellis, Leger Douzable, Sheldon Richardson, Mo Wilkerson, Snacks, even a guy who most thought wouldnt even make the practice squad let-alone the team in IK enemkpali, an Idzik draft pick. 

That is an obvious tendency. Karl Dunbar is getting his job done with the talent that John Idzik has provided him and in return John Idzik is able to maintain certain guys with signings where most people thought that they would go elsewhere in order to get more opportunity such as Leger Douzable. Karl Dunbar was a proven guy, someone who went in the kitchen and made something based on what the team had given him whether it was here or in Minnesota. What has Sanjay Lal produced in his decade of work....better yet the 3 years here? Nothing. What has Tim McDonald done with the defensive backs like Calvin Pryor? Nothing. What has Thomas McGaughey done with special teams? Nothing that would make me forget about Mike Westoff, possibly the best coach that we've had in regards to his responsibilities since Tuna. I'll put Dunbar in that conversation as well. What the hell has David Lee done with Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Mike Vick and Matt Simms? What about Steve Hagan with Cumberland and Amaro? What has Marty done to make sure that all of his offensive coaches has his guys ready to go? Twice I heard vick say publicly that he wasnt prepared to step in to replace Geno when they pulled him (Chargers & Bills). What did Rex do in response to that? Rex said that he thought that it took "balls" for Vick to admit that. Slats, John Coughlin, Mike Tomlin, Bill Belichick, Pete Carol, Jim Harbaugh wouldnt have accepted that in any capacity. Thats not John Idzik's fault brother. Blow that entire coaching staff up and let Idzik show what he can do. If not then they should have just kept Tanny until they were ready to move on from Rex. 

EDIT: And I do understand that a couple of these coaches/coordinators where hired within the past 2 years. My point here is that Rex Ryan is the head coach and he's NOT getting production out of his crew. That is a reflection on the HC directly, especially if the owner is willing to package you in as a "condition" to any GM candidates. 

My point is that I dont know if it was a bad hire, I do certainly know that keeping Rex was. To some degree I will agree that given the conditions we were only able to hire a lesser GM, but that lesser part is only based on experience. Every GM in history was once a rookie GM. John Idzik could be a total bust of a GM. All im saying is that we cannot say that we know it for sure. 

We're pretty sure. 

His lack of experience is a huge factor, but it's not experience at the GM level that's the concern, it's the lack of experience (or talent) at identifying talent. The guy came from the wrong side of the business. The fact that he and another accountant (Omar Khan) were the finalists for the position is downright frightening. 

I'm not discounting your concerns about the coaching staff, but they're gone, anyway. In this last draft, the Jets cut a fourth rounder who couldn't make it to another roster. At two critical positions, CB and WR, he used five draft picks and three free agent signings to fill those holes - and of those eight guys, onlyone guy (Decker) out of that group has produced anything. That's beyond the coaching staff, who've been forced to get production out of street free agents at those positions, and have. His slow, methodical, deliberate style leaves him standing still when other executives are making moves -draft day trades or free agent signings- all around him. He may be a smart man, but he lacks the ability to think on his feet. 

I recognize that it may not be fair to the guy, but I really don't care. Not only do I feel that he's simply not qualified for the job, his embattled status (Fire John Idzik!) will deter quality head coach candidates from even bothering to interview here. What you'll have is a perpetuation of the cycle that got the lesser GM hired in the first place, resulting in a lesser head coach. This is the time to break that cycle and clean house. The GM job will be much more attractive than it was two years ago, and the head coach job will be much more attractive under a new GM. With both hires made at the same time, both men will be on the same page - instead of what we have now, with one man looking to the future, and the other desperate to win now. They need to get those two critical jobs back in sync. 

At this point it's pretty obvious that Idzik doesn't have what it takes to be a GM.  The WRs he drafted in this year's draft alone are enough to speak to that fact, let alone the Harvin trade, his inability to get even a mediocre CB under contract, the Giocamini signing, and so on. 

Giving him the chance to hire a HC will just set the franchise back a few more years because it'll be the exact reverse situation of the GM search the last time when Rex was forced on the candidates, which meant we didn't get the best crop of GM candidates.  If Woody is serious about getting this thing fixed, he has to clean house this offseason.  Anything short of that will ensure the same terrible results for 2015 and a few years beyond that.

I think that the draft situation was less of a catastrophe than what people see it as. Idzik signed Eric Decker to a 4 year contract. Decker imo is better than every rookie that came out this year (at the moment). This is why Idzik didnt go WR in the first few rounds, but lets just say if he did. Lets say Idzik had the opportunity to draft Odell Beckham and he did...do you think that Odell would be having the year that he's having with the Giants here with the Jets? Do you think Marty and Rex would be able to utilize Odell's talent? 

Odell has 1000 yards receiving and 9TD's on 71 receptions, and he missed the entire month of september. Do you think that Odell would have these numbers if he played in the same stadium but with a green and white Jersey? I think it would be safe to say that we would be talking about how Odell is a bust rather than him having 1000 yards and damn near 10TD's as a Jets rookie wideout. And in that statement lies the problem. How do you know if drafting a Martavis Bryant, an Odell Beckham, a Jordan Matthews, or in past years an Alshon Jeffery or TY Hilton would even help a team that's coaching staff has shown for over a half-decade cannot develop talent at any position. 

Vladimir Ducasse is playing better football for the Vikings than he's ever played in a Jets uni. Mark Sanchez has had as many milestones in his first 5 games with the Eagles as he did in his first 5 years in a Jets uni. 

I totally get what you are saying, my response is that "every draft has been a bust with Rex and Marty" If anyone can show me a draft contrary to my statement then I will agree that Idzik could be more of a problem than Im giving him credit for. But when I see that Rex has had 6 consecutive bad draft years as well as his inability to develop any talent, to get proven talent to maintain production (Decker, Harvin, Vick) then I am going to simply gravitate to that. 

so you're saying we don't have any bullets for a weaponzsssz

We're pretty sure. 

His lack of experience is a huge factor, but it's not experience at the GM level that's the concern, it's the lack of experience (or talent) at identifying talent. The guy came from the wrong side of the business. The fact that he and another accountant (Omar Khan) were the finalists for the position is downright frightening. 

I'm not discounting your concerns about the coaching staff, but they're gone, anyway. In this last draft, the Jets cut a fourth rounder who couldn't make it to another roster. At two critical positions, CB and WR, he used five draft picks and three free agent signings to fill those holes - and of those eight guys, onlyone guy (Decker) out of that group has produced anything. That's beyond the coaching staff, who've been forced to get production out of street free agents at those positions, and have. His slow, methodical, deliberate style leaves him standing still when other executives are making moves -draft day trades or free agent signings- all around him. He may be a smart man, but he lacks the ability to think on his feet. 

I recognize that it may not be fair to the guy, but I really don't care. Not only do I feel that he's simply not qualified for the job, his embattled status (Fire John Idzik!) will deter quality head coach candidates from even bothering to interview here. What you'll have is a perpetuation of the cycle that got the lesser GM hired in the first place, resulting in a lesser head coach. This is the time to break that cycle and clean house. The GM job will be much more attractive than it was two years ago, and the head coach job will be much more attractive under a new GM. With both hires made at the same time, both men will be on the same page - instead of what we have now, with one man looking to the future, and the other desperate to win now. They need to get those two critical jobs back in sync. 

Couldn't agree with this more. Let me ask the this question, what coach would want to come to an Organization where the GM is on the hot seat? You will not get a top flight coach with Idzik as the GM. I just don't see it happening. Woody and Ira and whoever else runs this franchise has to clean house and start fresh with a new GM/VP of Football Operations and a new head coach. No more firing 1 and keeping the other. That kind of non-sense got us into this mess in the first place. Idzik needs to go and Woody has to show the fan base that he can competently run this organization or he will continue to see empty seats and opposing fan jerseys in his stadium 

I recognize that it may not be fair to the guy, but I really don't care. Not only do I feel that he's simply not qualified for the job, his embattled status (Fire John Idzik!) will deter quality head coach candidates from even bothering to interview here. What you'll have is a perpetuation of the cycle that got the lesser GM hired in the first place, resulting in a lesser head coach. 

This statement is kinda laughable. The only thing that would deter finding a quality GM is to not "package" coaches in when looking for a GM to begin with. And if you're looking for a head coach, find one with experience dealing with both sides of the football. Talk about deterring quality coaching candidates, how about deterring quality offensive players from wanting to play for a HC and a OC who are totally incompetent on that side of the ball. 

The "fire john idzik" situation is just noise. These would be the same people calling in to be interviewed on Jetnation radio talking about how "the only reason why we went this far is to see the franchise turned around. Its not like we hated the guy (Idzik), but we just wanted to see the team win games. The fact that he was able to turn it around (Idzik) makes life okay again". I can care less about that.  

This statement is kinda laughable. The only thing that would deter finding a quality GM is to not "package" coaches in when looking for a GM to begin with. And if you're looking for a head coach, find one with experience dealing with both sides of the football. Talk about deterring quality coaching candidates, how about deterring quality offensive players from wanting to play for a HC and a OC who are totally incompetent on that side of the ball. 

The "fire john idzik" situation is just noise. These would be the same people calling in to be interviewed on Jetnation radio talking about how "the only reason why we went this far is to see the franchise turned around. Its not like we hated the guy (Idzik), but we just wanted to see the team win games. The fact that he was able to turn it around (Idzik) makes life okay again". I can care less about that.  

No one, in any field, wants to start work for a boss who is in real danger of being fired, himself. That's basic self-preservation. Top candidates will look everywhere else first, because virtually every other opening will be a more stable situation. 

Archived