Idzik involved in early stages of coaching search

JOJOTOWNSELL

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one, in any field, wants to start work for a boss who is in real danger of being fired, himself. That's basic self-preservation. Top candidates will look everywhere else first, because virtually every other opening will be a more stable situation. 

Your point is noted, and that's Woody's fault which is why the slate should be cleaned for Idzik if he is infact retained because after all, the decision to package a head coach who can only coach one side of the football was a dumb idea to begin with. 

No one, in any field, wants to start work for a boss who is in real danger of being fired, himself. That's basic self-preservation. Top candidates will look everywhere else first, because virtually every other opening will be a more stable situation.

How do you know that Idzik is in danger of being fired?

My point is that I dont know if it was a bad hire, I do certainly know that keeping Rex was

I think that Idzik should have the opportunity to provide his own coaching staff from the HC down

just so I have this correct. rex having 2 bad coaching years(2011-2012) and it was a mistake to keep him and he should have been fired. idzik had 2 bad gm"ing years and he deserves to hire his own staff? 2 bad years for a coach=fired. 2 bad years for a gm=gifted more responsibility. is this the jist of it?

I really believe Woody is going to aggressively go after a bigger name, more established coach that he's going to give full control.

I haven't heard any rumors, have nothing to back this up...Just a feeling that he really doesn't want to go through another GM search...He's going to go deep into his pockets and pay whatever it takes to get Harbaugh, Payton, Cowher, Gruden etc...one of those types  -  Not sure who else falls into that list - but I think whoever we hire is going to get both roles.

Any thoughts on who would be on the list of coaches he could/would give full control?

I hope Idzik is back, he deserves to pick his own head coach. I know this has been rehashed many times but I will state my case.

His first year he traded Revis at the owners behest and got more for him than anyone expected. He then picked the DROY in the draft.

He took a flier on a 2nd round QB who was initially the highest rated QB in his draft and wanted to give him a second year to develop after showing some solid signs in his rookie year.  Smart and reasonable IMO even though Geno has sucked.

He went into this season with a solid plan IMO, even though we know how it worked out.  He had 2 young corners he hoped to develop and a stop gap vet to solidify the group. Both young corners got injured and the stop gap vet turned out to be a nut job, without any previous history of such behavior.  No team can lose both starting corners and a backup and be ok.  

He cleaned up the cap mess and didn't sign any free agents with outrageous contracts, knowing we weren't super bowl contenders this year.  It wasn't good for the coach who needed to win after 3 mediocre years, but that is Woody's fault for saddling with a coach he didn't pick who had time to outlast a rebuilding period.

He drafted a tight end and safety, both positions of need and the TE has looked respectable and the Safety has been playing out of position thanks to the coaching staff.

He signed  the best WR in free agency at a reasonable price and got a free agent RB at a reasonable price to catch passes out of the back field, and later took a flier on Harvin with no long term committment so no one could say there were no weapons to adequately evaluate Geno.  

He has had to deal with a coach who has been a buffoon at times, who has shown time and time again that he is a poor in game manager, with an undisciplined team that constantly wastes time outs and has bad penalties, and has no interest or expertise on the offensive side of the ball.  He also has had a bad track record of picking offensive coordinators with Sparano being a disaster and Marty mediocre to bad.

I know Rex is a likeable guy and fires up the fans with his bravado and refreshing honesty but like his father before him, he is a better coordinator than a head coach and has had ample time to prove himself.

I really don't understand the Idzik hate.  He is a smart Ivy League guy with a prior connection to the team and he has a patient approach that I think will eventually pay off.  I just hope Woody stops being a "fan" and starts being an owner and smart business man and doesn't cave in to public pressure from an angry mob.

i agree with most of what you're saying.  maybe where idzik failed though was keeping Rex after last year.  

he should have fired rex last season and picked his own coach then.  now it might be too late.  if idzik is still here next season we all know it's going to be a make or break year.  what coach is going to sign up for that? you have 1 year to win or your GM is getting fired.

woody messed up by making idzik keep rex, and then idzik messed up when he kept rex.  unless the plan is to keep rex going forward it doesn't make sense.

just so I have this correct. rex having 2 bad coaching years(2011-2012) and it was a mistake to keep him and he should have been fired. idzik had 2 bad gm"ing years and he deserves to hire his own staff? 2 bad years for a coach=fired. 2 bad years for a gm=gifted more responsibility. is this the jist of it?

Yeah, this is the perfect example of hindsight actually. Rex having 2 bad coaching years was proven to be a mistake two years later when it was shown that he in fact cannot coach a team on both sides of the ball and develop talent. So it was 4 years of bad coaching. Idzik "could" get a pass because I feel that it has been proven "now" that we should have moved on from Rex 2 seasons ago. If we did then we probably wouldnt be having this discussion. Most would talk about Idzik's lack of evaluating talent in the draft. This could be very true, but what i also see is that Rex and Marty couldn't do anything with proven talent such as Chris Johnson, Eric Decker, Percy Harvin etc. Guys like Jeremy Kerley has regressed, Geno's gotten worst than in his rookie year, Kyle Wilson has been in the system for his entire career yet can't beat out people walking off the street? No way in hell can I say with a straight face that Idzik can't evaluate talent when I see the buffoonery we have as a coaching staff thats running the talent. 

And though I totally get your questions above, the bottom-line is that (which I also now TOTALLY agree with) you dont package coaches when hiring a new GM. If you fire your GM then let the new GM come in and make GM decisions, because if it doesnt work out then its hard to separate the clean clothes from the dirty clothes, if you will. 

Idzik could be a problem, all I'm saying is that I dont know because Rex should have been out of here. My problem was, along with many others imo, was that we loved Rex's persona so much that it blinded us from the fact that he simply isn't a good or even mediocre head coach. Now that we're 3-11 its hard to not pass blame to a GM when the majority of his draft picks dont pan out. Thats just short term memory that many people had because in 6 years the only 1st rounders to pan out are Wilkerson and Richardson which I give much credit to Dunbar for their success the last couple years. And the only other non 1st rounders to pan out is Demario Davis and Jeremy Kerley which both are replaceable to be totally honest and Kerley has totally regressed to add. 

I think that because I'm not taking the "fire idzik" side of things that people think that Im supporting this guy and believe that he should not be fired. I think that if its in the best interest to fire everyone and start fresh then Idzik should be fired too. What Im saying is exactly what I said earlier, when we retained Rex and things didnt work out then its hard to really see the dirty clothes from the clean clothes. Im simply saying that If Idzik was kept around I wouldnt have a problem with it. If he was fired I wouldnt have a problem with it outside of the fact that I would feel that he didnt have a chance to put his stamp on the team. Many people would think that a possible 3-13 record was all the stamping we needed from him. Its hard to disagree with that....though that doesnt change the fact that I have my own opinion. 

I believe this whole Rex requirement is way overblown. Why would a GM lose an opportunity when he could've fired him after one season?

I believe the issue is working for Woody.

I missed the part when Bill Polian turned down the Jets GM job because Rex was still going to be the coach.

We hired Idzik because the friggin owner doesn't have a clue.

I don't recall this Polian stuff. Link?

I was just kidding.  I just love how the up-above-it anti-Rex crowd is blaming him for Woody hiring a crappy GM.  There are thousands of qualified candidates out there who would sell their families to get a job being the GM of an NFL team and we're supposed to believe nobody was willing to take the Jets job because of Rex.

Woody hired Idzik because he's an idiot who can't grow a brain - not because of Rex friggin Ryan.

I was just kidding. I just love how the up-above-it anti-Rex crowd is blaming him for Woody hiring a crappy GM. There are thousands of qualified candidates out there who would sell their families to get a job being the GM of an NFL team and we're supposed to believe nobody was willing to take the Jets job because of Rex.

Woody hired Idzik because he's an idiot who can't grow a brain - not because of Rex friggin Ryan.

Ha. Exactly any GM that wanted the job could've fired Rex after one season. The anti Rex are the same Sanchez is all world and Chip Kelly makes awesome shakes....

Ha. Exactly any GM that wanted the job could've fired Rex after one season. The anti Rex are the same Sanchez is all world and Chip Kelly makes awesome shakes....

Rex is also responsible for all of our crappy draft picks.  Nevermind the multi-million dollar Front Office and General Manager who have ultimate authority.  He also traded for Tebow.

Rex is also responsible for all of our crappy draft picks. Nevermind the multi-million dollar Front Office and General Manager who have ultimate authority. He also traded for Tebow.

I know but I'm waiting a couple of years on the next guy to get blamed.

^neg rep'd because you positive rep'd your own post. I really can't abide that sort of thing.

It was actually a mistake, I was trying to find out who rep'd my post and ended up repping my own post. Then I realized that I couldn't unrep the post because I didnt have the option to. Do it yourself and see if I'm lying. 

Jetnation is a wild place I tell ya. 

Now could you put my 1 rep back please. Most people dont agree with me, I know, but I think its fair to show that at least 1 person out of 7 billion do. 

It was actually a mistake, I was trying to find out who rep'd my post and ended up repping my own post. Then I realized that I couldn't unrep the post because I didnt have the option to. Do it yourself and see if I'm lying. 

Jetnation is a wild place I tell ya. 

Now could you put my 1 rep back please. Most people dont agree with me, I know, but I think its fair to show that at least 1 person out of 7 billion do.

Lol. Dude, I'm just goofing around with you. Unfortunately, the restoration of rep is beyond my capabilities as a mod.

Archived