Idzik involved in early stages of coaching search

JOJOTOWNSELL

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so this just ruined my sunday morning, hope it ruins all of yours also

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24886697/jets-gm-john-idzik-involved-in-early-stages-coaching-search

Beleaguered Jets general manager John Idzik, who has been at the center of fan and media scorn in just his second season on the job, has been helping craft the preparations for the franchise's ensuing coaching search along with owner Woody Johnson, league sources said, at a time when many have wondered if the GM would be back himself.

Some sources cautioned that Johnson could still perhaps opt to hire a new general manager as well, especially should he pursue an A-List coach who might want his own personnel executive, but it surprised some around the league to learn that Idzik has been involved in the pre-vetting stages of the search. It's widely known that Jets coach Rex Ryan will not be back in 2015 -- he could well end up choosing broadcasting over a return to coaching next season, sources said -- and, with a the competition for coaching candidates expected to be heavy, Johnson and Idzik are preparing lists and sniffing around on certain potential candidates.

To this point the franchise is not using a headhunter or search firm -- Johnson has in the past -- and while that could change at some point, for now it has been Johnson, Idzik and team president Neil Glat who have been handling the behind-the-scenes stuff. Idzik has some natural ties to both of the Seattle Seahawks coordinators -- Darrell Bevell and Dan Quinn, who have interviewed for head coaching jobs, and whom he worked with in Seattle. And Idzik has also thought highly of 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman in the past, though the descent of San Francisco's offense this season would seemingly put a dimmer on his coaching star.

The Jets have been a dysfunctional franchise, which would certainly scare some candidates away, but the glare of the Big Apple, a high 2015 draft pick (perhaps even the No. 1 overall) and the high-profile nature of this job will appeal to others.

Its an unpopular but correct decision

You cant fire a GM until hes hired his own coach. Idzik is here at least 3 more years.

That logic is so irrational. A GM should be based on their job performance, not their coach. The two are not correlated. Thus far, Idzik has failed miserably within the requirements of his job description.

So using your logic, we should simply eliminate those rounds from the draft, and the likes of Brady, Sherman, and Bowman would have never entered the league. Moreover, it is not as if Idzik has nailed his early selections.....

Yeah, that is not my logic and three players does not change the truth of my words!

Milliner was quality for a rookie CB last year, Richardson is the best player on the team by far, Smith was obvious value in the second, Pryor been hit and miss but I like him enough...the furthest in on either draft is ALMOST two seasons.

Yeah, that is not my logic and three players does not change the truth of my words!

Milliner was quality for a rookie CB last year, Richardson is the best player on the team by far, Smith was obvious value in the second, Pryor been hit and miss but I like him enough...the furthest in on either draft is ALMOST two seasons.

Well your logic dictates that some draft selections are worthless, which is incredibly false.

Milliner: Not sure what quality you are speaking of; he was benched more games than ones he was productive.

Richardson: Granted, but one player does not make a draft.

Geno: This makes no sense. There was a reason every team who needed a QB last year (and there were many) passed on him. He was a prospect on the decline, rather than value, and has been a waste of QB play for two seasons.

Pryor: See Milliner, and also has attitude problems.

But the billboards. The towels?

I said it at the time, all that nonsense probably did plant the seed in Woody that he should keep Idzik, rather than bend to the whim of fans, which is something he's been criticized for in the past.

I can see a backfire of epic proportion on the horizon, then we can collect donations to deport the people behind the billboards, etc.

So using your logic, we should simply eliminate those rounds from the draft, and the likes of Brady, Sherman, and Bowman would have never entered the league. Moreover, it is not as if Idzik has nailed his early selections.....

meh

his job is talent aquisition.  how do you judge him on that so far ?

Enough to make him go away. There are probably and literally over 1,000,000 people with enough business acumen to hold the purse stings tight and not over pay for football players. 

It's the only area where he's shown proficiency in his tenure.

That's great stuff but it runs coincidental to the real center of his job which is talent acquisition.  

Aside from the DROY - everything other piece of talent is question mark on the high side to horsesh!t on the low side. 

Idzik gets to stay and be actively involved in the HC search. That's the rational football move.

Yeah, meanwhile news out of Oakland is that there'll be big changes. We've beed Raiders East this year, but we're going to stay the course? Unreal.

I hope Idzik is back, he deserves to pick his own head coach. I know this has been rehashed many times but I will state my case.

His first year he traded Revis at the owners behest and got more for him than anyone expected. He then picked the DROY in the draft.

He took a flier on a 2nd round QB who was initially the highest rated QB in his draft and wanted to give him a second year to develop after showing some solid signs in his rookie year.  Smart and reasonable IMO even though Geno has sucked.

He went into this season with a solid plan IMO, even though we know how it worked out.  He had 2 young corners he hoped to develop and a stop gap vet to solidify the group. Both young corners got injured and the stop gap vet turned out to be a nut job, without any previous history of such behavior.  No team can lose both starting corners and a backup and be ok.  

He cleaned up the cap mess and didn't sign any free agents with outrageous contracts, knowing we weren't super bowl contenders this year.  It wasn't good for the coach who needed to win after 3 mediocre years, but that is Woody's fault for saddling with a coach he didn't pick who had time to outlast a rebuilding period.

He drafted a tight end and safety, both positions of need and the TE has looked respectable and the Safety has been playing out of position thanks to the coaching staff.

He signed  the best WR in free agency at a reasonable price and got a free agent RB at a reasonable price to catch passes out of the back field, and later took a flier on Harvin with no long term committment so no one could say there were no weapons to adequately evaluate Geno.  

He has had to deal with a coach who has been a buffoon at times, who has shown time and time again that he is a poor in game manager, with an undisciplined team that constantly wastes time outs and has bad penalties, and has no interest or expertise on the offensive side of the ball.  He also has had a bad track record of picking offensive coordinators with Sparano being a disaster and Marty mediocre to bad.

I know Rex is a likeable guy and fires up the fans with his bravado and refreshing honesty but like his father before him, he is a better coordinator than a head coach and has had ample time to prove himself.

I really don't understand the Idzik hate.  He is a smart Ivy League guy with a prior connection to the team and he has a patient approach that I think will eventually pay off.  I just hope Woody stops being a "fan" and starts being an owner and smart business man and doesn't cave in to public pressure from an angry mob.

Very logical and sound post....

You make too much sense that the mob driven, media manipulated fan base will simply turn a blind eye to reality.

Idzik has certainly made some mistakes, but he's not been even close to as bad as people are making him to be...he's done some good things too, in a very tough situation.  He absolutely deserves to keep his job.

You cant fire a GM until hes hired his own coach. Idzik is here at least 3 more years.

Year 3 of the idzik Error in THE offing. Also another year of of watching Geno Smith crapping the bed through next September after a stirlrng victory in Music City today. WE ARE DOOMED!

I hope Idzik is back, he deserves to pick his own head coach. I know this has been rehashed many times but I will state my case.

His first year he traded Revis at the owners behest and got more for him than anyone expected. He then picked the DROY in the draft.

He did a good job with the Revis trade and the Richardson pick. It's largely been downhill from there.

He took a flier on a 2nd round QB who was initially the highest rated QB in his draft and wanted to give him a second year to develop after showing some solid signs in his rookie year.  Smart and reasonable IMO even though Geno has sucked.

Alternately, he took the QB that every other team passed on, many of them twice, and then banked on him. The only alternative he provided was an older, has-been, Geno-like QB who also enjoys turning the ball over at an alarming rate. With decent QB names available throughout the last draft, in which he had 12 picks, he passed on all of them until a sixth round comp pick, and missed.

Most important position on the field, and he hasn't don't nearly enough there.

He went into this season with a solid plan IMO, even though we know how it worked out.  He had 2 young corners he hoped to develop and a stop gap vet to solidify the group. Both young corners got injured and the stop gap vet turned out to be a nut job, without any previous history of such behavior.  No team can lose both starting corners and a backup and be ok.  

Both young CBs had extensive injury histories prior to this season. It was shocking -shocking, I say!- when they both went down to injury. There were decent names available in free agency, and he missed on all of them. Even without the injury concerns, relying on a third rounder to start is a bad plan. Compounded by the Patterson signing. He completely botched the position.

He cleaned up the cap mess and didn't sign any free agents with outrageous contracts, knowing we weren't super bowl contenders this year.  It wasn't good for the coach who needed to win after 3 mediocre years, but that is Woody's fault for saddling with a coach he didn't pick who had time to outlast a rebuilding period.

Cleaning up the cap was common sense and most of his moves in that regard could've been executed by practically anyone who's been a regular poster here for a couple years. I'll even give him the first year of fielding a team completely void of talent. This year, there's no excuse.

He drafted a tight end and safety, both positions of need and the TE has looked respectable and the Safety has been playing out of position thanks to the coaching staff.

Safety and tight end are bottom rung positions in the NFL, and if you're gonna use high picks on them, you had better hit home runs. Instead, he's got a safety who we all hope someday lives up to his potential, and a TE who looks like a middle of the road starter, maybe, at this point. Meanwhile, premium positions like CB and WR were also massive needs on this team, and after all his great work there, they're still huge positions of need.

He signed  the best WR in free agency at a reasonable price and got a free agent RB at a reasonable price to catch passes out of the back field, and later took a flier on Harvin with no long term committment so no one could say there were no weapons to adequately evaluate Geno.  

Applauding him in one breath for not signing anyone to outrageous contracts, then congratulating him for the Harvin trade is a tad contradictory. You can still say they don't have weapons, because Harvin is more gadget player than true WR, and he's also gonna be tough to keep.

The best WR in free agency was DeSean Jackson, who would've been a tremendously better pickup than Percy Harvin, and wouldn't've cost a draft pick.

He has had to deal with a coach who has been a buffoon at times, who has shown time and time again that he is a poor in game manager, with an undisciplined team that constantly wastes time outs and has bad penalties, and has no interest or expertise on the offensive side of the ball.  He also has had a bad track record of picking offensive coordinators with Sparano being a disaster and Marty mediocre to bad.

I know Rex is a likeable guy and fires up the fans with his bravado and refreshing honesty but like his father before him, he is a better coordinator than a head coach and has had ample time to prove himself.

Rex needing to go doesn't make Idzik any good.

I really don't understand the Idzik hate.  He is a smart Ivy League guy with a prior connection to the team and he has a patient approach that I think will eventually pay off.  I just hope Woody stops being a "fan" and starts being an owner and smart business man and doesn't cave in to public pressure from an angry mob.

Being smart doesn't mean anything if you don't have the aptitude for the position you're in. Idzik has no talent for evaluating talent, which is easily the most important skill for a GM to have. Any underling exec could manage the cap. His slow, deliberate, methodical way of doing things paralyzes him when it comes to making draft day trades or signing free agents. Everyone else is capable of moving faster than him, leaving him with his dick in his hand.

Most importantly, though, the man is obviously on the hot seat. The best head coaching candidates will take other opportunities before they sign on with a GM who, himself, needs to win in a hurry or face the ax. It's bad enough having a lesser candidate at GM because of the Rex requirement. Having that lesser candidate try to bring in a new head coach is doubling down on that bad idea, and just extending the status quo around here - never truly cleaning house, and never having the whole team completely on the same page. It's always either the GM throwing the coach under the bus with the Jets or vice versa. This is the perfect time to start over.

Idzik has to go.

If you are a Jets fan you can not want Idzik back.  

He is lost , he has done the worst job of any GM in Jets history and that is saying a lot.

I don't want him hiring our next coach, drafting our new QB or running another draft.  

There are som many bad things about Idzik that we all know what they  are,  so no point in going through them again.

You didn't really refute anything I said about him.  I am a Jet fan since 1968 and I think he deserves another year to pick a coach and follow his plan.  Who is to say Woody can find someone better?  There have been many worse GMs and draft performances in the last 46 years.

Enough to make him go away. There are probably and literally over 1,000,000 people with enough business acumen to hold the purse stings tight and not over pay for football players. 

It's the only area where he's shown proficiency in his tenure.

That's great stuff but it runs coincidental to the real center of his job which is talent acquisition.  

Aside from the DROY - everything other piece of talent is question mark on the high side to horsesh!t on the low side. 

I was talking to someone the other day and said it's so obvious they need a real football man in charge, and you hire an asst GM to crunch the numbers close deals if that is a weakness of the football guy

so obvious to everyone but woody

Archived