Some positives

DaBallhawk

It's alsways good to get a Win but in a season like this year and at this point especially I rather turn my focus on the players that could have a big impact on this team next year.

DE IK Enemkpali

Could have been the player of the game if he had some luck. Only had a handful of snaps I believe but he made all of them count...and then some. Twice he dropped back in coverage instead of rushing and the Titans QB bit, bigtime. He threw it right into IK who anticipated the passes and jumped up to break them up, he just couldn't hang on to the ball both times. What about his pass rush? Has excellent speed off the edge, very powerful bull rush. He had a huge sack but it got wiped out by Terrible Phillip Adams who got flagged on that play for defensive holding I believe. So instead of having 1-2 picks, possibly a pick 6 and a huge sack...he finishes the game with "just" 2 pass breakups. Don't worry, I see you.

DE Quinton Coples

If there's one positive thing that came out of Wilk's injury it's Coples' emergence. He's found a home at DE. His run stopping is already elite but now he brings elite pass rush as well from the 3-4 DE position. Watching him play I can't help but compare him to Richard Seymour. He's not an OLB. He's a true lineman. And I think his best position/fit might be in the 3-4 at DE. He lost a lot of weight in the offseason, I think he should put the weight back on, get to 280-290 lbs and he'll be a force next year. Yesterday once again he absolutely shredded the guys trying to block him. Two tackles, both for a loss, one sack and another 4 QB hits. One of those QB hits was his weekly highlight reel type play where he just almost gets you killed. He used to come around the edge each week and clothesline people, rip their helmets off with his gigantic reach and long arms coming out of nowhere, this time he just swallowed the QB and stomped him to the ground, sending him to the sideline...and probably on IR. Again. He's quickly developing into one of the scariest defenders in the league, he's got that Suh aura around him, he just plays vicious. Here's to you, Q. Not bad for a guy who's suppusedly not that into football and doesn't show much effort according to some. Guess he's laughing it off at this point.

FS Calvin Pryor

Finally! This is what we all hoped for after his spectacular preseason performance, this is what we wanted in week 1. Better late than never I guess. He shows zero love for his own body, he always goes full speed and hits anything that moves, playing like a heat missile. Made a bunch of great plays in the running game and didn't get exposed in the passing game. The angles he took were excellent, he didn't miss a tackle. He blew up a couple of plays in the backfield as well. I think the light finally went on.

LG Oday Aboushi

Had a HUGE key bloack/pancake on Chris Johnson's 40 yard run over the right side where he basically just slapped his guy to the ground with no effort, allowing CJ to get to the goal line. His pass protection was also very solid.

Sudfeld also deserves mention. He's become a stud special teamer and I think he had a long play on offense called back over the right side because of a holding penalty. It's unfortunate that Rex is going to do anything he can to win those final games, because that means playing those old, sucky, veterans, that got us in this mess in the first place. Play the young guys, let's see more from them. Tired of watching Pace's old ass show zero effort. And Landry. And Babin stealing snaps from guys like IK. Anybody, please if you can watch the final play of the game. With the win on the line, watch #97, watch what Calvin Pace does, how little effort this guy shows. I almost wanted to strangle him when I saw the play. I was just yelling TACKLE THE GUY and he just walks around there, reaches out with his one arm and let's the QB just go by him and lateral it off to the next guy. Ugh. Oh and Phillip Adams is just horrible. If he's more than a special teamer here next year I lose all faith in Rex. Same goes for Kyle Wilson.

When Richardson was drafted, the reason it raised so many questions was that Coples was already there and playing OK. He does not play to Richardson's level at DE but not many do.  Coples has been sorely miscast as a WOLB, If the new coach runs a 4-3 as a base, Coples play will be on a uptick. A line of Wilk, Coples, Richardson and Harrison wil have the rare ability  to get pressure from only the front four, allowing the team to flood the passing zones with 7. 

DE Quinton Coples

If there's one positive thing that came out of Wilk's injury it's Coples' emergence. He's found a home at DE. His run stopping is already elite but now he brings elite pass rush as well from the 3-4 DE position. Watching him play I can't help but compare him to Richard Seymour.

56168-50-Cent-driving-Patrick-Stewar-p5T

It will be very interesting to see not only who coaches the Jets next year but who that person tabs to coach this defense.

Is Rex really a defensive genius?

How the new DC uses some of these players like Coples & Pryor.

If we do get a guy that plays a 4-3 someone like Wilkerson could be trade bait if his agents hold us hostage.

Say Wilks agents want the same $ as Suh? Who would you want?

You might get a1st for Wilk, so your Dline would be just as strong BUT you added more draft picks.

I know Coples doesn't play like his hair is on fire, (Watt like), but honestly, I think Mo gets lazy too. Suh plays harder on every snap.

We need one more stud LB, who will be available in FA? Davis has played very well & usually LBs get better each year.

Pryor was flying around last night but he doesnt take very good angles.  Maybe because he pursues so hard but he whiffs a lot.  He missed an easy, what should have been, like a 7 yard loss by doing some slide arm tackle sh*t that was just ridiculous...he could have leveled the guy.  He does some head scratching sh*t but he does have some good instincts.  He's alright.  Nothing special.

Coples is a monster.  He's not an OLB.  I understand Rex trying to get his best players on the field at the same time but thats not his position.  Kids a handful though.  He creates havoc on an OL.

Aboushi has been a pleasant surprise.  Better than Winters for sure.  Still should look to upgrade all across the OL.

When Richardson was drafted, the reason it raised so many questions was that Coples was already there and playing OK. He does not play to Richardson's level at DE but not many do.  Coples has been sorely miscast as a WOLB, If the new coach runs a 4-3 as a base, Coples play will be on a uptick. A line of Wilk, Coples, Richardson and Harrison wil have the rare ability  to get pressure from only the front four, allowing the team to flood the passing zones with 7. 

Either way I think we part ways with Snacks. He's not a 4-3 fit and in the 3-4 we could save a lot of money by re-signing Ellis instead. Wilk however is a must re-sign.

It will be very interesting to see not only who coaches the Jets next year but who that person tabs to coach this defense.

Is Rex really a defensive genius?

How the new DC uses some of these players like Coples & Pryor.

If we do get a guy that plays a 4-3 someone like Wilkerson could be trade bait if his agents hold us hostage.

Say Wilks agents want the same $ as Suh? Who would you want?

You might get a1st for Wilk, so your Dline would be just as strong BUT you added more draft picks.

I know Coples doesn't play like his hair is on fire, (Watt like), but honestly, I think Mo gets lazy too. Suh plays harder on every snap.

We need one more stud LB, who will be available in FA? Davis has played very well & usually LBs get better each year.

Lance Briggs. He's getting old but he's still a stud and a perfect fit for the 3-4 and he's been a Pro Bowler in the 4-3 as well (WLB). Bruce Carter (DAL) is kind of like DD. Emanuel Lamur is an up and comer from the Bengals.

Jets should go 4/3, put feelers out for trading Big Mo (Sheldon makes him expendable) if his agents hold Jets hostage, sign Suh, now that your committed to a 4/3, trade Snacks (many, many teams need run stoppers, Cowboys, Giants, Bears, Ravens come to mind).

Snacks was the best run stopper in the league last year, someone would give up a #2 if it's late round.

Mo would bring a #1.

If someone like Harbaugh took over ( I know I'm dreaming but play along), and all of the above scenarios played out,

We would be going into the draft with Suh, Richardson, Coples, (Maybe Ik) running a 4/3.

2 big FA signing (Suh & Iupati) adding 2 nasty SOBs to our Oline & Dline (great start).

You would go into the draft with 2-#1s, 2-#2s, and even after signing Suh & Iupati still might have 25-28 million left depending on how you structure their contracts.

Now you trade your 3rd for Glennon.

Draft BPA with both 1st rounders, draft a QB to groom with one of your 2nds and sit him behind Glennon.

So many Jet fans don't even want to consider trading a player like Mo but I would rather have 2 first round picks + Suh + Iupati then have to pay both Mo & Richardson. I think Richardson is the better player & I want players that go 100% all the time.

Coples will be WAY better in a 3/4 especially playing alongside 2 monsters like Sheldon & Suh.

What say ye.

You will have to find a team willing to give up those picks first. I don't see it. And personally I'm not interested in paying Suh ridiculous amounts of dollars. We can re-sign Mo for basically half of what he's gonna get. Trade Snacks, re-sign Ellis & Mo and then let's go. That's our D-Line. 3-4 or 4-3, it works. Then bring in a good linebacker and an elite corner.

By the way here's the play. Watch Aboushi pancake the poor kid:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap3000000443916/Chris-Johnson-37-yard-run

Coples is only useful with his hands in the dirt....this is what happens when you refuse to draft offense, you get overlapping players. That's fine if you're a good team....but the Jets have a habit of treating the first round as if they're one player away from the SB and refuse to go BAP.

We have some good players on the D Line!  Let's monkey around with it and **** it up so that we can save a few nickels when we are already way the **** under the cap! 

Damon Harrison is an RFA.  He is not going anywhere, talking about letting him walk is insane no matter what D the new guy plans.  He is a FA, so I don't see him being traded.  Kenrick Ellis will be a FA, but has had a ton of injury problems and is barely able to see the field even in the limited role behind Harrison.  He has had back problems which don't generally go away, especially when you are 350-360.  I'm not sure what kind of deal Barnes is on, but he has looked decent.  I can't see having all 3 back, but you never know.  It would be cheap enough.  If you want to go 4-3, I see no problem with Coples-Richardson-Harrison-Wilkerson.  Richardson in the Sapp role, Harrison at NT.  People that think that will be such a big change will probably be in for a rude awakening because it is pretty much what we play now, but hey why quibble.

You will have to find a team willing to give up those picks first. I don't see it. And personally I'm not interested in paying Suh ridiculous amounts of dollars. We can re-sign Mo for basically half of what he's gonna get. Trade Snacks, re-sign Ellis & Mo and then let's go. That's our D-Line. 3-4 or 4-3, it works. Then bring in a good linebacker and an elite corner.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/new-york-jets/0ap3000000443916/Chris-Johnson-37-yard-run

Don't take to much out of the this Titans are #32 vs the run.

Jets should go 4/3, put feelers out for trading Big Mo (Sheldon makes him expendable) if his agents hold Jets hostage, sign Suh, now that your committed to a 4/3, trade Snacks (many, many teams need run stoppers, Cowboys, Giants, Bears, Ravens come to mind).

Snacks was the best run stopper in the league last year, someone would give up a #2 if it's late round.

Mo would bring a #1.

If someone like Harbaugh took over ( I know I'm dreaming but play along), and all of the above scenarios played out,

We would be going into the draft with Suh, Richardson, Coples, (Maybe Ik) running a 4/3.

2 big FA signing (Suh & Iupati) adding 2 nasty SOBs to our Oline & Dline (great start).

You would go into the draft with 2-#1s, 2-#2s, and even after signing Suh & Iupati still might have 25-28 million left depending on how you structure their contracts.

Now you trade your 3rd for Glennon.

Draft BPA with both 1st rounders, draft a QB to groom with one of your 2nds and sit him behind Glennon.

So many Jet fans don't even want to consider trading a player like Mo but I would rather have 2 first round picks + Suh + Iupati then have to pay both Mo & Richardson. I think Richardson is the better player & I want players that go 100% all the time.

Coples will be WAY better in a 3/4 especially playing alongside 2 monsters like Sheldon & Suh.

What say ye.

if you want to switch to a 4/3, why would you trade mo? he is a natural 4/3 defensive tackle. as is Richardson and coples.

Don't take to much out of the this Titans are #32 vs the run.

Total yards means nothing, teams just run the ball on them all the time because their offense can't score any points. In terms of yds/carry they're right in the middle. They have a decent front 7. Plus we have the 2nd best rushing attack in the NFL, it's not like we can't move the ball.

when Quentin Coples is pass rushing like that, its like letting Frankenstein's monster run wild. He crushed Jake Locker into little pieces 

isn't there a thread around here with people calling this player a bust? 

Tennessee was starting what, it's 6th and 7th option at Tackle?

I do like your post - But Wilkerson money is not going to be that far from Suh/Watt money. If Watt and Suh are getting 15m, Wilk is going to get 13m. 

If we do think Coples is going to be much better in the 4-3 the time to sign him is this offseason as he will be very cheap. I do hope we move to a 4-3. 

if you want to switch to a 4/3, why would you trade mo? he is a natural 4/3 defensive tackle. as is Richardson and coples.

Depending on Wilkersons price Im thinking our line would have Coples and perhaps a draft pick as the ends and Wilkerson and Richardson as the DT's?  Its much harder to get an elite DT. 

I do like your post - But Wilkerson money is not going to be that far from Suh/Watt money. If Watt and Suh are getting 15m, Wilk is going to get 13m. 

If we do think Coples is going to be much better in the 4-3 the time to sign him is this offseason as he will be very cheap. I do hope we move to a 4-3. 

Watt got a 100 mil. deal, half of it guaranteed. Suh will likely top that in the offseason because he will be a free agent. The Lions can't/won't tag him and any team with a decent amount of cap space will try to sign him which is only going to push his value up. Wilk hasn't made a Pro Bowl yet, he probably won't make it this year either. He just isn't up there yet with Watt/Suh. And he doesn't have any leverage. He's not hitting the FA market anytime soon. If we can't hammer out a long term deal now he will be paid 7 mil. next year. If we can't hammer out a deal next year we can tag him and he'll make 13 mil. that year. So basically we have him wrapped up for 2 more years. Great situation for us. For him not so much. I think he'll settle for a 60 mil. deal with about 20-25 mil. guaranteed this offseason. He's not gonna risk playing on a 1 year deal the next 2 years and then hope for a bigger contract as he becomes a free agent. It's too risky.

when Quentin Coples is pass rushing like that, its like letting Frankenstein's monster run wild. He crushed Jake Locker into little pieces

isn't there a thread around here with people calling this player a bust?

Which was the beastlier sack: the one where Locker fell on the bobbled snap and Coples touched him down, or that time in preseason against the Giants where no one blocked Gholston off the edge and he tackled David Carr?

Which was the beastlier sack: the one where Locker fell on the bobbled snap and Coples touched him down, or that time in preseason against the Giants where no one blocked Gholston off the edge and he tackled David Carr?

He put the guy on IR. Again. Had 2 tackles for a loss, 1 sack and 4 QB hits. Yet people still complain. What a bunch of losers...

By the way just FYI: The play you're referring to was NOT a sack.

I'll take "later" picks like Mo & Sheldon over early picks like Snatchez & Gholston all day.

I hear you dude, but I'd like to think that maybe someday we won't be schwanzing draft picks with the regularity and to the degree that we have done in the past. 

This is going to be a lean draft year, but position isn't irrelevant. 

It's alsways good to get a Win but in a season like this year and at this point especially I rather turn my focus on the players that could have a big impact on this team next year.

DE IK Enemkpali

Could have been the player of the game if he had some luck. Only had a handful of snaps I believe but he made all of them count...and then some. Twice he dropped back in coverage instead of rushing and the Titans QB bit, bigtime. He threw it right into IK who anticipated the passes and jumped up to break them up, he just couldn't hang on to the ball both times. What about his pass rush? Has excellent speed off the edge, very powerful bull rush. He had a huge sack but it got wiped out by Terrible Phillip Adams who got flagged on that play for defensive holding I believe. So instead of having 1-2 picks, possibly a pick 6 and a huge sack...he finishes the game with "just" 2 pass breakups. Don't worry, I see you.

DE Quinton Coples

If there's one positive thing that came out of Wilk's injury it's Coples' emergence. He's found a home at DE. His run stopping is already elite but now he brings elite pass rush as well from the 3-4 DE position. Watching him play I can't help but compare him to Richard Seymour. He's not an OLB. He's a true lineman. And I think his best position/fit might be in the 3-4 at DE. He lost a lot of weight in the offseason, I think he should put the weight back on, get to 280-290 lbs and he'll be a force next year. Yesterday once again he absolutely shredded the guys trying to block him. Two tackles, both for a loss, one sack and another 4 QB hits. One of those QB hits was his weekly highlight reel type play where he just almost gets you killed. He used to come around the edge each week and clothesline people, rip their helmets off with his gigantic reach and long arms coming out of nowhere, this time he just swallowed the QB and stomped him to the ground, sending him to the sideline...and probably on IR. Again. He's quickly developing into one of the scariest defenders in the league, he's got that Suh aura around him, he just plays vicious. Here's to you, Q. Not bad for a guy who's suppusedly not that into football and doesn't show much effort according to some. Guess he's laughing it off at this point.

FS Calvin Pryor

Finally! This is what we all hoped for after his spectacular preseason performance, this is what we wanted in week 1. Better late than never I guess. He shows zero love for his own body, he always goes full speed and hits anything that moves, playing like a heat missile. Made a bunch of great plays in the running game and didn't get exposed in the passing game. The angles he took were excellent, he didn't miss a tackle. He blew up a couple of plays in the backfield as well. I think the light finally went on.

LG Oday Aboushi

Had a HUGE key bloack/pancake on Chris Johnson's 40 yard run over the right side where he basically just slapped his guy to the ground with no effort, allowing CJ to get to the goal line. His pass protection was also very solid.

Sudfeld also deserves mention. He's become a stud special teamer and I think he had a long play on offense called back over the right side because of a holding penalty. It's unfortunate that Rex is going to do anything he can to win those final games, because that means playing those old, sucky, veterans, that got us in this mess in the first place. Play the young guys, let's see more from them. Tired of watching Pace's old ass show zero effort. And Landry. And Babin stealing snaps from guys like IK. Anybody, please if you can watch the final play of the game. With the win on the line, watch #97, watch what Calvin Pace does, how little effort this guy shows. I almost wanted to strangle him when I saw the play. I was just yelling TACKLE THE GUY and he just walks around there, reaches out with his one arm and let's the QB just go by him and lateral it off to the next guy. Ugh. Oh and Phillip Adams is just horrible. If he's more than a special teamer here next year I lose all faith in Rex. Same goes for Kyle Wilson.

Good post, DaB... Just one little nit-picky thing... Coples should have never been moved to LBer, his home was always on the DL. The reason we suck is because we are 2 strings deep on first round DL talent, and blow every other draft pick we make.

Keep coples... I don't know how many years I'm gonna say that, but I've sen enough to want to see a coach that isn't married to a scheme in favor of one that is....maybe that guy can get this D going.

There are a zillion reasons to hate Rex, but you want a coach that won't get the best 11 on the field on D?  Coples plays out of position because otherwise he won't play.  Richardson is better.  Wilkerson is better than that.

I hear you dude, but I'd like to think that maybe someday we won't be schwanzing draft picks with the regularity and to the degree that we have done in the past. 

This is going to be a lean draft year, but position isn't irrelevant. 

It's not that I don't trust our scouts but more the fact that a lot of times the guys expected to go off the board first just don't turn out to be the best players in football. See the Alex Smith / A-Rod situation. So I'm with Rex on this one. Unless there's a Peyton Manning out there you go try to win as many games as possible and then we'll see where we pick and who's gonna be available. There is no elite QB available. Mariota is a boom or bust prospect, he could be another David Carr for all we know. Winston is probably not even a 1st rounder. Do you want to be the team that takes either guys off the board so that some other team gets to pick an All Pro player instead? No way. Let somebody else gamble on them, we've done that too many times the last few years. Go sign a proven QB who knows the game and can play at a high level (Bradford?) and then let's go. If he sucks we'll have an opportunity to get that franchise QB the year after. If he plays well he's our guy for years to come. Don't gamble again on highly questionable guys like Mariota or Winston. It's not gonna turn out good.

Archived