How can you whiff on 12 picks in one draft

Jets723

How many threads are we going to create on the exact same topic?  Kind of ridiculous.....

and it's absolutely impossible to judge this draft after only a year.

Pryor, Amaro, McDoogle, Dozier are all still unknowns with a  lot of upside...

Stop making sense.

Five picks spent at the desperate need positions of CB and WR, and not a single one of them has even contributed. That's pretty amazing.  

the problems I had with this draft were

1. pryor- I just don't see how this player had a first round grade. I know the world had a 1st round grade on him, but I saw 2nd-3rd round grade. incomplete player at an un-premium position

3. dexter mcdougle- major reach. posters around these parts claiming he is a sure thing, even tho his last game was 2 years ago. idzik panic move right here

4.jalen saunders- no explanation needed. I think 100% of jets fans hated this pick. 99% even before he played a snap hated this pick

5. jeremiah George- saw a square player in a team with round holes. he is the ultimate " doesn't fit the system player".

I thought/think the rest of the players are fine at where they are drafted. he bombed the 1st,3rd, and first 4th round picks. quality starters were available at these picks and were basically no brainers.

regardless on how the rest of the draft works out(both yerars), the top half of his drafts( picks 1 thru 4) leaves much to be desired

ps. there were quality qb's available throughout the draft, but idzik decided to drive the qb position into the ground

regardless of idziks restrictions when hired, his awesome plan, and his unlimited patience,  he is just not a general manager in the nfl. no matter how many more years you give him. for the fans that want to keep him, fine. just have him do something he is good at, like proof reading contracts and making coffee

I understand not every pick will work out but to have none is hard to do. i do like Amaro and he has done some good things so i should take him off the list but how in the world does a GM strike out on 11 other picks.  Idzik should have already been gone along with the scouts

Because God hates the jets!

To be fair, Pats, Seahawks, Packers, they have all had such drafts. Every team does. If it happens twice in a row, then we have legitimate reasons to burn down everything Idzik has ever owned.

Pryor and Amaro are going to be JAG type players who will have a career in the league.  I wouldnt bank on another player from that draft being able to say the same.  I see a lot of these guys seeing the league average 3 years, barely being heard of and then will soon be selling cars in their home town.

Agree- the best possible outcome for amaro/pryor is being jags. These guys wont be in the league long. They have no upside

Enunwa can probably play over graham. rex needs to get him in the game. but no, we need our best guys on the field so we can win out.

Graham is one of the team's best special teamers and a legit (if crappy) NFL WR.  Owusu is the guy that Enunwa would step in for.   

1. Go find a team that you think drafts well

2. Count how many of their picks over the last three years are contributors

3. Astonish yourself at the ratio of those players to absolute trash.

This is correct.  Be sure that T0m knows this from his days scouring the league for information to bad mouth Tannenbaum.

JOhn Idzik screwed Rex with this roster. It's that simple. They are spending 95-100 mil on a 133 mil cap (the cap reads 118 mil because of dead space to Cro, Sanchez and Holmes) Not even Vince Lombardi would have this team winning games.

Poor Rex. The guy can coach up anyone, until he can't.

How many threads are we going to create on the exact same topic?  Kind of ridiculous.....

What's Calvin Pryor's upside? Eric Smith? Do we have to wait until 2029 to know the 3 WRs Idzik drafted in the best wr draft since 1996 all suck or do I have to watch them play in Canada for 5 years?

Step 1: Fire the mediocre scouting staff

Step 2: Bring in your own abysmal scouting staff (while retaining the one that should have been let go - Bradway) 

They did't really do too much of that. JoJo Wooden left.  Ari Nissim and Scott Cohen were canned along with scouts Mike Davis and (JN interviewee and current Italian Leaguer) Joe Bommarito.  Idzik brought in Graves, and a couple of scouts - Stigall and Seth Turner.   Barzigan was promoted.  None of these names mean much to most of us, but the changes have been incremental.  My understanding is most new GMs work with the scouts in place their first draft and then clean house.  Idzik has not done that.

They did't really do too much of that. JoJo Wooden left.  Ari Nissim and Scott Cohen were canned along with scouts Mike Davis and (JN interviewee and current Italian Leaguer) Joe Bommarito.  Idzik brought in Graves, and a couple of scouts - Stigall and Seth Turner.   Barzigan was promoted.  None of these names mean much to most of us, but the changes have been incremental.  My understanding is most new GMs work with the scouts in place their first draft and then clean house.  Idzik has not done that.

what it probably tells you is that iddy is inept at evaluating the scouting staff.

That sounds more like overhaul than incremental, even if it was done in pieces. 

Under the radar move, but signing Decker over Tate in hindsight looks terrible. There was always a thought Woody was behind that...but we didnt get the best WR on the market like we had hoped. Decker's been so disappointing.

The problem wasn't Decker. Sure, we got hurt but if he was on Detroit and we had Tate, Decker would have the big year.

We can partially judge it, almost half of the draft are players the Jets judged not to be good enough.  Obviously there are some players left none of them have really turned into anything special.

Under the radar move, but signing Decker over Tate in hindsight looks terrible. There was always a thought Woody was behind that...but we didnt get the best WR on the market like we had hoped. Decker's been so disappointing.

The real mistake was not signing both or signing decker and desean Jackson when we had cap space. Oh I forgot we have to get $50 mil under the cap to give an insane contract to Mo Wilk. We haven't even missed that guy last couple games with coples at de and babin at olb

We can partially judge it, almost half of the draft are players the Jets judged not to be good enough.  Obviously there are some players left none of them have really turned into anything special.

The 2014 draft was a disaster. Amaro is the only decent pick. I love these people saying we need to wait ten years to judge it half the friggin players aren't on the roster and Pryor looks totally mediocre

Archived