2015 QB

Dennis Byrd 90

With us winning yesterday the likelyhood of the Jets having the top 3 picks is probably out of the questions.  With two weeks left many things can happen and we can trade up in the draft.  That being said we will probably have to sign a qb in the offseason.  Who would you be happy with?  Here are some options.

1.  Brian Hoyer:  a free agent to be.  Played bad the last few weeks befor being benched.  Has shown he could be an average qb who could win games.  I'd be happy with him but am hearing Houston will go after him and he has a relationship with O'brien from New England.

2.  Matt Moore:  free agent.  Backup in Miami.  When he's played he's played well.  Not my favorite but would be a good stop gap.

3.  Locker:  I like him but can't stay healthy.

4. Sanchez:  Lets not go back there.  He's showing us why we got rid of him.

5. Ryan Mallet:  Not a bad option but if Houston gets rid of him I don't think he'll make it in the NFL.

6.  Blaine Gabbert:  Might go with Harbaugh somewhere.  Might be willing in a low risk reward type deal.  

7.  Vick:  Don't think he wants to be back here.

The other qbs listed are backups who don't interest me.

Trade wise we can go after RG3 (coach killer), Cutler (coach killer and Jeff George), and maybe Kapernick (who would need his offense or he won't succeed).

Kapernick is the only one that interests me out of that group.

I'd love Hoyer.  I think if Houston doesn't want him we could have him.  The rest are risk rewards and we better hope we can trade up to get Mariotta or Connor Cook falls to us.  Not a big Winston fan.  Too many ints for me but he'll probably be out qb next year.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a sad list of QBs.  While most are probably a step up from Geno, I think this just proves that we have to get the right QB in the draft and hope he can beat out one of these guys in a true competition.  Otherwise it's going to be another 3-13 debacle like this year.

No to everyone on that list.

Jets will retain Geno Smith.  He'll be the #1 for a few weeks in 2015.

Jets will trade up (at massive cost) for Winston (they won't be able to get Mariotta) who will start.

Jets will continue to waste the #3 spot on a guy they have no belief, plans or faith in.  Might even be Simms again.

That's the most likely outcome I see right now.  if Idzik is retained, the pressure to get "a Franchise QB" will force him to sell the Franchises future to get one of the top two, and only one is possible for us to get (as Tampa, at #1, will not win again, and will select Mariotta).

Jets will trade up (at massive cost) for Winston (they won't be able to get Mariotta) who will start.

Jets will continue to waste the #3 spot on a guy they have no belief, plans or faith in.  Might even be Simms again.

That's the most likely outcome I see right now.  if Idzik is retained, the pressure to get "a Franchise QB" will force him to sell the Franchises future to get one of the top two, and only one is possible for us to get (as Tampa, at #1, will not win again, and will select Mariotta).

Its this or they take a flier on a mid round prospect.  Geno is the week 1 starter though.  You can be that.

In order to do this they're going to need to have faith Winston can be the future.  I don't see them doing it...

What about trading for RGIII - might be worth a shot

I'd take a shot on locker ..... But I also have a feeling idzik is still gonna be here so who knows. The one guy on the list I want no part of is krapernic. He's is done

I would LOVE Kaepernick...

he's having a bad year...but his talent is off the charts....There's a better chance of getting him right than there is that either Winston or Marriotta becoming franchise guys...

Its this or they take a flier on a mid round prospect.  

That would be my preference .

If I was the GM, I look around the league and try to "pull a Sanchez", i.e. I look for highly talented guys who failed in their first city, and who might just need a change of scenery to succeed.

I often call this my "Patrick Ramsey Theorum", and while I was dead wrong on Ramsey, I still believe in the core concept.

I look at a guy like McCoy in Washington.  Or Kirk Cousins, also in DC.  Both are guys I could see being cheap enough to aquire (mid-round pick) and available, and may simply need a better environment than DC< and the Skins are a long-time trade partner for us. 

If I'm the GM, I try to package one of our front-line D-Linemen and some picks for the Skins #1 pick and one of their QB's.  Knowing the Skins, I think they'd do it.

I cut Geno Smith.  Sorry, but while I appreciate he is cheap, he's so bad and has so little future, I just don't see wasting the spot on him.

I draft a QB in the mid-rounds, a tall, non-running, pocket passer.  Sorry, I'm not sold on the "fast, running, black QB is the future of the NFL" concept.  Give me a slowfooted big-armed bullet-pass throwing kid any day.

I start the Recycled Vet (Cousins).

My rookie QB sits a year minimum.

I draft the best overall WR available.  Then I draft the best CB available (Skins pick).  Then in the second, I draft the best tallest WR available.

In the third, I draft a guy to fill the now-empty D-Line Spot.

Rest of the Draft I alternate D-backfield with O-Line.

And I go into 2015 happy and (IMO) reloaded and far better balanced.

That would be my preference .

If I was the GM, I look around the league and try to "pull a Sanchez", i.e. I look for highly talented guys who failed in their first city, and who might just need a change of scenery to succeed.

I often call this my "Patrick Ramsey Theorum", and while I was dead wrong on Ramsey, I still believe in the core concept.

I look at a guy like McCoy in Washington.  Or Kirk Cousins, also in DC.  Both are guys I could see being cheap enough to aquire (mid-round pick) and available, and may simply need a better environment than DC< and the Skins are a long-time trade partner for us. 

If I'm the GM, I try to package one of our front-line D-Linemen and some picks for the Skins #1 pick and one of their QB's.  Knowing the Skins, I think they'd do it.

I cut Geno Smith.  Sorry, but while I appreciate he is cheap, he's so bad and has so little future, I just don't see wasting the spot on him.

I draft a QB in the mid-rounds, a tall, non-running, pocket passer.  Sorry, I'm not sold on the "fast, running, black QB is the future of the NFL" concept.  Give me a slowfooted big-armed bullet-pass throwing kid any day.

I start the Recycled Vet (Cousins).

My rookie QB sits a year minimum.

I draft the best overall WR available.  Then I draft the best CB available (Skins pick).  Then in the second, I draft the best tallest WR available.

In the third, I draft a guy to fill the now-empty D-Line Spot.

Rest of the Draft I alternate D-backfield with O-Line.

And I go into 2015 happy and (IMO) reloaded and far better balanced.

What makes you believe in this theory?  Has it ever worked?  

I honestly cant think of one other than Warner in Arizona. 

In two years, Idzik hasn't been able to consummate a single draft day trade. The only pick I think he might be able to pull off a trade for is the #1 overall, and only because he'll have months to negotiate. 

What makes you believe in this theory?  Has it ever worked?  

I honestly cant think of one other than Warner in Arizona. 

Depends on what you by "Worked".

All I want is a shot at a decent recycled QB.  He's not the real plan, the rookie tall-big-arm is.

If the Vet works out, great.  The kid can sit 2 seasons.

If the Vet is what I'd expect, it's still a major step up from Geno Smith and makes us competitive at the least.  This happens all the time, bring in a Vet to replace a busted kid, and the Vet plays "ok".  "Ok" is a huge step up for us.

if the Vet Drops the ball completely, fine, so would Geno, so nothing is really lost.

"Worked" does not mean super Bowl 2015.  There is no chance, 0%, that we win a Super Bowl in 2015.

We're playing for 2016 (Playoff berth) and 2017 (hopefully, a run) now. 

Need to get used to that idea if we're not already.

Depends on what you by "Worked".

All I want is a shot at a decent recycled QB.  He's not the real plan, the rookie tall-big-arm is.

If the Vet works out, great.  The kid can sit 2 seasons.

If the Vet is what I'd expect, it's still a major step up from Geno Smith and makes us competitive at the least.  This happens all the time, bring in a Vet to replace a busted kid, and the Vet plays "ok".  "Ok" is a huge step up for us.

if the Vet Drops the ball completely, fine, so would Geno, so nothing is really lost.

"Worked" does not mean super Bowl 2015.  There is no chance, 0%, that we win a Super Bowl in 2015.

We're playing for 2016 (Playoff berth) and 2017 (hopefully, a run) now. 

Need to get used to that idea if we're not already.

So you're just talking about it as a stop-gap measure while they search for the future?  Not the actual solution.

I don't like Kaepernick.  He throws like he is playing dodgeball.  I assume they'd want a premium.  The guys with huge contracts could probably be had much cheaper, RGIII or Bradford.  I would like to have Bradford or Locker, at least we have a chance.  Idzik has some pieces on the IR, maybe they can all come together for a bit.  I am not an RGIII fan, but I think with a strong team around him he could give some wins.  I have no problem with bringing in a Matt Moore, Hoyer type.  Like some of us wanting to bring in Henne a few years ago they would probably be an upgrade, but IMO your #1 pick is not sitting behind them for long - as in not a full season.  You can throw Cousins in that boat.  I am underwhelmed.

So you're just talking about it as a stop-gap measure while they search for the future?  

Yes.

It's a low-% risk move that fills the hole for 2015 with a "average" QB, an improvement vs. our current "worst QB in NFL" situation.

It has a possibility, albeit small, to work out and the once-highly-touted guy blossoms.

And it guarantees we sit our young, upper-mid-round tall, big-armed kid at a minimum a full year before he has to play.

This is how the NFL used to work, and I believe can still work. 

I think playing young QB's early is part of what leads to so many busted young QB's.

And I reject, wholesale, the "running QB is a must" idea, which I think is a pure fad, not solid long-term planning.

A Manning or Brady beats an RGIII or the like every time.

If I am trying to make the rookie sit I would go in pretty heavily on Jason Campbell.  Physically capable, positive TD to turnover ratio and cheap.  Checks all the boxes for me.  OTOH, we could have done that a few times in the past few years and didn't.  If Idzik didn't hate him he probably would have signed him and saved $4M over Vick. Guy might actually prepare to play too, but who knows? 

Yes.

It's a low-% risk move that fills the hole for 2015 with a "average" QB, an improvement vs. our current "worst QB in NFL" situation.

It has a possibility, albeit small, to work out and the once-highly-touted guy blossoms.

And it guarantees we sit our young, upper-mid-round tall, big-armed kid at a minimum a full year before he has to play.

This is how the NFL used to work, and I believe can still work. 

I think playing young QB's early is part of what leads to so many busted young QB's.

And I reject, wholesale, the "running QB is a must" idea, which I think is a pure fad, not solid long-term planning.

A Manning or Brady beats an RGIII or the like every time.

Agreed 100% on pocket passer vs. the flashy QB that can move.

I'm with you on the philosophy in general.  I like Matt Moore.  Always have.  Never understood why he agreed to be a back-up instead of seeing if he could start somewhere.  

2015 NFL Free Agents

QB Ryan Lindley ARI 26 R
QB T.J. Yates ATL 28
QB Tyrod Taylor BAL 26
QB Joe Webb CAR 29
QB Jimmy Clausen CHI 28
QB Jason Campbell CIN 34
QB Brian Hoyer CLE 30
QB Kellen Moore DET 26 R
QB Dan Orlovsky DET 32
QB Matt Flynn GB 30
QB Scott Tolzien GB 28
QB Matt Moore MIA 31
QB Christian Ponder MIN 27
QB Ryan Mallett NE 27
QB Luke McCown NO 34
QB Michael Vick NYJ 35
QB Mark Sanchez PHI 29
QB Matt Hasselbeck SEA 40
QB Tarvaris Jackson SEA 32
QB Terrelle Pryor SEA 26
QB Blaine Gabbert SF 26
QB Josh Johnson SF 29
QB Austin Davis STL 26 R
QB Shaun Hill STL 35
QB Jake Locker TEN 27
QB Colt McCoy WAS 29

They guys I'd look at bolded/underlines, but I'd also look at current #2's (like Cousins) as well.

Well the good news is that any of the QBS mentioned can potentially lose 15 games for us next year.

How pathetic are we to be getting g excited for Hoyer (who has been Geno bad for the last month or so) and Matt freaking Moore.

And if we take Winston, let alone trade up to get him, we deserve everything that's coming. Of every potential 1st round QB since 1998, Winston has the best chance to replicate Ryan Leaf. Only the Jets.

2015 NFL Free Agents

QB Ryan Lindley ARI 26 R

QB T.J. Yates ATL 28

QB Tyrod Taylor BAL 26

QB Joe Webb CAR 29

QB Jimmy Clausen CHI 28

QB Jason Campbell CIN 34

QB Brian Hoyer CLE 30

QB Kellen Moore DET 26 R

QB Dan Orlovsky DET 32

QB Matt Flynn GB 30

QB Scott Tolzien GB 28

QB Matt Moore MIA 31

QB Christian Ponder MIN 27

QB Ryan Mallett NE 27

QB Luke McCown NO 34

QB Michael Vick NYJ 35

QB Mark Sanchez PHI 29

QB Matt Hasselbeck SEA 40

QB Tarvaris Jackson SEA 32

QB Terrelle Pryor SEA 26

QB Blaine Gabbert SF 26

QB Josh Johnson SF 29

QB Austin Davis STL 26 R

QB Shaun Hill STL 35

QB Jake Locker TEN 27

QB Colt McCoy WAS 29

They guys I'd look at bolded/underlines, but I'd also look at current #2's (like Cousins) as well.

Just put a monkey in a room with this list and 2 darts.  We sign whichever 2 names he hits and have them compete in camp.

Archived