Cornerbacks

Freemanm

Do you honestly believe it was a smart move to sign Revis to a 16M contract ??

It's a smart move to keep HOF caliber talent.

Talent costs money. Talent wins games.

the Jets have very little talent but they do have a ton of cap space. 

What's the point of that? Having money set aside to pay a mythical awesome player who's never showing up? 

It's a smart move to keep HOF caliber talent.

Talent costs money. Talent wins games.

the Jets have very little talent but they do have a ton of cap space. 

What's the point of that? Having money set aside to pay a mythical awesome player who's never showing up? 

You sign Revis to 16m/year and what happens if we do end up finding a franchise QB . No position player is worth 16M other than a QB period. 

Plus say we had Revis at corner this year - what's our record 5-9 ???  Sure Rex can't run his system w/o a shutdown corner , but its also been proven he can't run his system w/o #1 picks at every position on D.

If we had Revis we'd be complaining Idzik didn't sign a rush OLB. 

You sign Revis to 16m/year and what happens if we do end up finding a franchise QB . No position player is worth 16M other than a QB period. 

Plus say we had Revis at corner this year - what's our record 5-9 ???  Sure Rex can't run his system w/o a shutdown corner , but its also been proven he can't run his system w/o #1 picks at every position on D.

If we had Revis we'd be complaining Idzik didn't sign a rush OLB. 

the cap went up 10 million dollars last year. It might do the same next year. 

The "leave money for a franchise QB" is not a good argument.

The only way to get FQB is to draft them and they would be cheap while on their rookie contracts. 

It's not about having a CB instead of a QB or whatever. The Jets don't get to choose. They picked a HOF corner that's who they picked. They were lucky to find him. They traded him away and he was back in the division within a year. Not only that but the Pats are going to make a long run in the playoffs. 

And what do the Jets have? cap space. 

Cap space never did jack. It never made plays and it can't  win you a game. 

the cap went up 10 million dollars last year. It might do the same next year.

The "leave money for a franchise QB" is not a good argument.

The only way to get FQB is to draft them and they would be cheap while on their rookie contracts.

It's not about having a CB instead of a QB or whatever. The Jets don't get to choose. They picked a HOF corner that's who they picked. They were lucky to find him. They traded him away and he was back in the division within a year. Not only that but the Pats are going to make a long run in the playoffs.

And what do the Jets have? cap space.

Cap space never did jack. It never made plays and it can't win you a game.

Revis falls right into the catch 22 logic.

Then somebody needs to send him the memo about the rule changes.

He's going to cost us big time.

Pick your poison.

Do you want the harmless D we have had since 2005?   Or the first real D which is similar to the dynastic defense with Ty and Co?

I will choose the latter as it does not require Brady to be perfect.  We have survived at least two brain fart picks by Brady this year and went on to win the games.

Revis has been worth every dime and more.  However, I do not think we are 11-3 with Revis only.  10-4 tops.  ;)

Do you honestly believe it was a smart move to sign Revis to a 16M contract ??

Of course it wasn't.

But that's a hard logic-argument to make in the face of the strong emotion that reflect how utterly horrid our D-backs have been in 2014.

Paying Revis would have been utterly asinine.

As a fan of football I'll always watch Revis in awe. He is the smoothest most agile and instinctive CB ever- better than Deon.

I no he was hurt but I was very surprised when people like the ESPN analysts started saying that he was surpassed by Patrick Peterson or Richard Sherman. There has never been a doubt in my mind Revis is the best corner in the step above every buddy else. It would've been a cool

Of course it wasn't.

But that's a hard logic-argument to make in the face of the strong emotion that reflect how utterly horrid our D-backs have been in 2014.

Paying Revis $12M for 16 games may be assinine for the Jets, but it would have made considerably more sense than trading a pick for the privilege of paying Percy Harvin $7M for 9 games when you are 1-6.

Paying Revis $12M for 16 games may be assinine for the Jets, but it would have made considerably more sense than trading a pick for the privilege of paying Percy Harvin $7M for 9 games when you are 1-6.

One good decision (dumping dramaqueen overpaid Revis for picks) does not mean subsequent decisions (who we picked, signing Harvin in a lost aeason) were good.

Dumping Revis and his massive contract, for a bad team not winning a title in 2014, was a great solid logical move, trading an overpriced overdrama luxury (Revis) for picks to help rebuild a pretty bad roster of talent.

It's the subsequent moves that are pretty poor and questionable.

Let's draft one in the 1st round. It's been two years. I know the Jets get a little antsy about going so long in between first round cornerbacks.

As much as it might infuriate a section of the fanbase that just wants an offensive player in the first round next year, if a CB were the BAP when they picked, it would be a smart choice. 

Fortunately for them, I'm not hearing about any CBs rated that high. The Jets will probably go DE. :)

One good decision (dumping dramaqueen overpaid Revis for picks) does not mean subsequent decisions (who we picked, signing Harvin in a lost aeason) were good.

Dumping Revis and his massive contract, for a bad team not winning a title in 2014, was a great solid logical move, trading an overpriced overdrama luxury (Revis) for picks to help rebuild a pretty bad roster of talent.

It's the subsequent moves that are pretty poor and questionable.

I wasn't all gung ho to have him back at that price, I am just pointing out that we all thought Idzik was saving up for 2015.  Then he wasted $7M on Harvin and extended Kerley with a contract that probably could have netted a guy like Andre Roberts (who can return punts) and had him on roster all year. I would have respected the guy a whole lot more if he had stayed the course and bit the bullet. 

Of course it wasn't.

Revis > unused cap space

there's no universe where that cap space helps the team more 

except maybe the pretend one where Andrew Luck shows up and says hey I'd love to sign with the Jets if only they had the room. 

As much as it might infuriate a section of the fanbase that just wants an offensive player in the first round next year, if a CB were the BAP when they picked, it would be a smart choice.

Fortunately for them, I'm not hearing about any CBs rated that high. The Jets will probably go DE. :)

4 offensive players drafted in the 1st round since SANTANA MOSS.

A corner would be an absolutely awful choice in the first round. You know they can be found elsewhere, right? Sherman and Harris are top five corners and neither were top picks. Even "elite" corners like Peterson are prone to getting roasted as evidenced by Julio Jones' (then) career high in yards in his coverage three weeks ago. The Jets have taken this position which is based more upon the pass rush than anything and turned them into demi-Gods because we lucked up and got a once in a generation player once upon a time. Enough. If we're still a 3-4, then get a ******* hybrid that can rush the passer, pretty please, with dicks on top. Sign a free agent corner and for the love of God, stop burning first round picks on the front and back four. People wanna blame Idzik for everything, but this organizational philosophy we value has GOT to change. Spend all your top picks on two ******* positions for the better part of FIFTEEN ******* YEARS, and then wonder why you lack talent. I don't give a **** if Deion Blount is available when we pick in the first round. Pass. This franchise needs a culture change. That means no corner and no defensive lineman in the first round.

Revis > unused cap space

there's no universe where that cap space helps the team more 

except maybe the pretend one where Andrew Luck shows up and says hey I'd love to sign with the Jets if only they had the room. 

Straw Man Argument Bit, because the decision to resign/trade Revis was not a decision between "Pay Revis or Have Unused Cap Space".

The SUBSEQUENT decision to have unused cap space is most certainly up for debate, and criticism.

But that subsequent decision has no bearing ont he logic of the decision to trade away Revis.

As I said, emotion vs. logic.

Logic understands that Revis was grossly too expensive (and I guarantee you he wasn't signing here for 12 million/year, stop quoting his agent as if that was gospel instead of PR) and was not worth it to us given the state of the team.  Picks and caps pace were far more valuable for a team needing to rebuild, as we were.

Judging that decision because subsequent decisions were dogsh*t poor is not logic, it's emotion.

And frankly, we're maybe one single win better today IMO if we have Revis, and the Pats are not a single win worse. 

Revis is not, and never will be, worth 12-16 million a season.

I go back and forth on Revis...the guy is a douche. But as simply as Bit put it, when you have the best one you keep him. He wasn't preventing us from doing anything.

I agree but the best one part applies to QB's only IMO.. Look How many teams Deion (5) Rod Woodson (4) Ty Law (4) and Revis (3) have. Revis may surpass Sanders in teams before he's through.. 

And frankly, we're maybe one single win better today IMO if we have Revis, and the Pats are not a single win worse. 

This is speculation. I could say the Jets are 3 wins better you can say 1 and no one can prove anything 

The problem for me wasn't necessarily the trade, it was not even trying to re-sign him when he hit the open market. They let him waltz back inside the division.  They could have taken the first rounder, and got Revis back after he spent a year rehabbing in Tampa Bay, and all it cost was money.

Money that the team couldn't find ways to spend, even if they wanted to. 

Look at how the Vontae Davis negotiations went. Just having cap space doesn't mean it's useful. 

Straw Man Argument Bit, because the decision to resign/trade Revis was not a decision between "Pay Revis or Have Unused Cap Space".

The SUBSEQUENT decision to have unused cap space is most certainly up for debate, and criticism.

But that subsequent decision has no bearing ont he logic of the decision to trade away Revis.

Logic understands that Revis was grossly too expensive (and I guarantee you he wasn't signing here for 12 million/year, stop quoting his agent as if that was gospel instead of PR) and was not worth it to us given the state of the team.  Picks and caps pace were far more valuable for a team needing to rebuild, as we were.

Judging that decision because subsequent decisions were dogsh*t poor is not logic, it's emotion.

Agree Fish that "I want to play for the Jets" that Revis's agents put out was to get the Pats to up their offer..

This is speculation. I could say the Jets are 3 wins better you can say 1 and no one can prove anything 

The problem for me wasn't necessarily the trade, it was not even trying to re-sign him when he hit the open market. They let him waltz back inside the division.  They could have taken the first rounder, and got Revis back after he spent a year rehabbing in Tampa Bay, and all it cost was money.

Money that the team couldn't find ways to spend, even if they wanted to. 

Look at how the Vontae Davis negotiations went. Just having cap space doesn't mean it's useful. 

And the Pats let Bledsoe and Lawyer Milloy go to the Bills and Ty Law go to the Jets.. Had Revis been easy to deal with he never would have been traded to begin with..

And the Pats let Bledsoe and Lawyer Milloy go to the Bills and Ty Law go to the Jets.. Had Revis been easy to deal with he never would have been traded to begin with..

unlike those other guys, Revis is still making a significant difference in his team's fortunes. 

If Revis is truly the mercenary you believe he is, he would have listened to a Jets offer.  All reports are the Jets didn't even try to get him back. 

I personally believe that the Jets would be considerably more than one game better with Revis.  Contrary to popular belief, they have not been blown out of every game this year.  Do you think Jordy Nelson goes for 209 against Revis? That was a one score game.  Golden Tate going for the century against Revis?  Those were close games.  Were those two stiffs in Minnesota both going for 100 with Revis on the Jets?  The amount of long completions is insane.  With Revis manning up there is more room for safety help elsewhere, of course with Allen blowing the assignment like he did against Vereen that goes out the window.  This team would certainly be considerably more competitive with Revis.  Jordy Nelson for 80, Ross for 60, Johnson for 60.  Those things probably don't happen if Revis is on the field.  Worth $12+M to this team?  Probably not, but the conversation should not have been Revis vs. nobody.  

unlike those other guys, Revis is still making a significant difference in his team's fortunes. 

If Revis is truly the mercenary you believe he is, he would have listened to a Jets offer.  All reports are the Jets didn't even try to get him back. 

I don't believe anything the NY Sports media puts out from their alleged sources.. BTW Ty Law with the Jets had 10 picks and a TD in 2005 and made the Pro Bowl not to shabby in my book..

Archived