2015 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame inductees

faba

By Andy Greene | December 16, 2014

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has officially announced next year's inductees: Lou Reed, Green Day, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Bill Withers and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band will all join the class of 2015. Ringo Starr will be given the Award For Musical Excellence and 1950s R&B group the "5" Royales will receive the Early Influence Award.

The induction ceremony will be held at Cleveland's Public Hall on April 18th, 2015. Once again, the general public will be allowed to attend. Tickets go on sale this Thursday.

Artists are eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25 years after the release of their first album or single. Green Day, whose debut EP, 1,000 Hours, came out in 1989, are entering the institution in their first year of eligibility. "I had to go for a walk when I heard the news," says Green Day frontman Billie Joe Armstrong. "We're in incredible company and I'm still trying to make sense of this. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has always held something special for me because my heroes were in there. This is a great time for us to sort of reflect and look back with gratitude."

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a side note, I've officially given up on trying to figure out the logic of how they choose artists for this. Still no Smiths, Judas Priest, Cure, Depeche Mode, Slayer, Bon Jovi, N.W.A., Chicago, Whitney Houston, Steppenwolf, Journey, REO, Paul Revere, Moody Blues, Huey Lewis, Doobies, Joan Baez, Dolly Parton, Iron Maiden, etc. but Green Douche gets in during their first year of eligibility.

On a side note, I've officially given up on trying to figure out the logic of how they choose artists for this. Still no Smiths, Judas Priest, Cure, Depeche Mode, Slayer, Bon Jovi, N.W.A., Chicago, Whitney Houston, Steppenwolf, Journey, REO, Paul Revere, Moody Blues, Huey Lewis, Doobies, Joan Baez, Dolly Parton, Iron Maiden, etc. but Green Douche gets in during their first year of eligibility.

The Cars, Deep Purple, Husker Du, The Pixies, Soundgarden. 

lol, they were great at what they did - whether you liked it or not doesn't matter

I couldn't resist. 

To me, Chicago is a great band to people who don't love music. 

Blood, Sweat and Tears did the whole rock/jazz fusion thing better and were overall more influential (i.e. they influenced Chicago and not vice versa) and they ain't in the Hall of Fame. 

Chicago is lame ass lifestyle music for people who want something on in the background but don't really want to be challenged in any way and don't feel music in their gut. It's good.... if you don't give a **** what you are listening to. 

The whole concept of a "Hall of Fame", the enshrinement of acceptance, is the most anti- rock n' roll thing I've ever heard of. 

Rock & Rollers becoming the establishment is the definition of sell out.  Every rock artist still has the ability to tell the R&RHOF to go fuk themselves if/when they come calling.

seriously its almost criminal that Depeche Mode isn't in the hall of fame.  They basically invented a genre and numerous bands cite them as a main influence.

I saw Greenday at nassau collesium in 1995 or 1996.....terrible then, terrible now

I used to go see good indie/punk bands in venues appropriate for underground music, and Green Day would often open for them, and that was about as good as they really are.

Coliseum shows are for Billy Joel.

I couldn't resist. 

To me, Chicago is a great band to people who don't love music. 

Blood, Sweat and Tears did the whole rock/jazz fusion thing better and were overall more influential (i.e. they influenced Chicago and not vice versa) and they ain't in the Hall of Fame. 

Chicago is lame ass lifestyle music for people who want something on in the background but don't really want to be challenged in any way and don't feel music in their gut. It's good.... if you don't give a **** what you are listening to. 

Most of popular music can be categorized this way, in the case of Chicago, their musicianship is better than good - even if you don't like what they are playing - and you also have to weigh-in context. These guys were a transitional band, taking popular culture from one style of rock into another, and the fans they had when their music was new and fresh were most certainly affected by it. All you are doing is giving the current day, "it sounds like elevator music" point of view. 

You can watch a movie from the 1940's and complain about the special effects and bad acting from the modern day point of view, but if you look at the art in the context of when it was created, you can appreciate it for what it was at the time, through the lens of the people it meant something to, quite easily.

I'm not a fan of them, other than in that tongue-in-cheek songs I might sing to my wife to make her get warm and fuzzy laughs before I beg for sex sort of way. In other words super-cheesy... but I can certainly understand the meaningfulness of their music to the peeps that thought they were great back at the time. You've got to remember, these were also people that parted their feathered mullets in the middle.

Times dictate the relevancy. Love songs then sounded like Chicago... love songs now sound like Iggy Azalea apparently.

I'm not a fan of Chicago either, but I always liked the guitar solo in "25 or 6 to 4." (Ironically, Green Day "borrowed" the riff in "Brain Stew.") Those dudes from Chicago can play, ya gotta give 'em that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLiuMkGCOC4

The Cars, Deep Purple, Husker Du, The Pixies, Soundgarden. 

Would agree with every one but the Cars. Could be the worst live act I've seen. Played about 50 minutes at MSG, did one encore and acted like it was an imposition to do that much. 

Yes, Judas Priest,  Def Leppard,  the Cure and Depeche Mode have a better argument than the Cars; those bands are all fun 

Saw Priest a few months back. Sadly despite a great catalogue another act that doesn't grasp NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR BUT A SONG OR 2 FROM YOUR NEW ALBUM. IF I'M PAYING TOP DOLLAR PLAY POINT OF ENTRY START TO FINISH OR TELL US UPFRONT YOU WILL BE HEAVY ON THE NEW SHEET. Still played a few goodies. Rob Halford is now the Elton John of heavy metal, including numerous costume changes between songs. One thing they get; a sense of humor goes a long way, it's rock and roll not dinner at Buckingham Palace. Even with all that a good show, but could've been that much  better if they got with the program and played the hits. 

Friend of mine sees Joan Jett in his LI supermarket all the time. 

Ringo Starr as a member of the band, sure. Him as a solo artist? Ugh.

We all George Harrison was the talent in that band.

Really odd that Ringo isn't even the best drummer in his family; his son, Zack Starkey, is way better.Zack tours with the Who and several other bands. Long been rumored Ringo's duties were cut from several of the last few Beatles album tracks or dubbed by other drummers. By all accounts a nice man but nobody thinks he was much more than along for the ride and very lucky Pete Best didn't fit in well  with the other 3. 

Would agree with every one but the Cars. Could be the worst live act I've seen. Played about 50 minutes at MSG, did one encore and acted like it was an imposition to do that much. 

Yes, Judas Priest,  Def Leppard,  the Cure and Depeche Mode have a better argument than the Cars; those bands are all fun 

Saw Priest a few months back. Sadly despite a great catalogue another act that doesn't grasp NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR BUT A SONG OR 2 FROM YOUR NEW ALBUM. IF I'M PAYING TOP DOLLAR PLAY POINT OF ENTRY START TO FINISH OR TELL US UPFRONT YOU WILL BE HEAVY ON THE NEW SHEET. Still played a few goodies. Rob Halford is now the Elton John of heavy metal, including numerous costume changes between songs. One thing they get; a sense of humor goes a long way, it's rock and roll not dinner at Buckingham Palace. Even with all that a good show, but could've been that much  better if they got with the program and played the hits. 

Friend of mine sees Joan Jett in his LI supermarket all the time. 

Saw Priest a couple of months ago on that same tour. I'd no problem with them playing four or five songs of the new album - it's a good album, and since they're touring to promote that album I'd expect to hear a bunch of songs from it.

If they were to do a tour in a couple of years, without recording a new album, then I'd expect a lot more old stuff.

Like with what Maiden do - they do a tour for an album they'll lean on the new album. Hell, I remember the time they did A Matter of Life and Death in its entirety on that tour.

But Maiden also do those nostalgia tours where they pick a certain time period and play nothing but that era's material.

Only issue I had about Priest's show was they totally ignored Painkiller era stuff. Maybe they figured it was too heavy for the Point of Entry people... :biggrin:

Oh, and the support act they chose were utter s**t - but the audience seemed to love them.

Archived