2015 Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame inductees

faba

All I hear you doing here is perpetuating self-identity by advocating against something you don't think represents you. It's not really a discussion of what is good, bad or anything, it's what you like and how you want to be perceived.

You've moved from "they don't belong in the RRHOF" to "they suck" to "people who like Chicago have no passion for music". It's not about the band, it's about what you are associating the band with. Totally a fair thing to do, but I think it convolutes the discussion of whether or not they were a relevant rock band in their day. They were. They actually bucked some of the trends of the time, which is what rock and roll is all about, no? 

Their musicianship was top notch. Their songwriting was excellent. They just happen to come from a time in rock where the words and music reflect a very pacified popular culture. Sure, this means it sounds bland to us today, but at the time, it was where rock and roll was at... and frankly, that's a good thing as every generation informs the next, Chicago was part of a transitional era of rock that exposed its soft underbelly. 

Either way, you're entitled to your opinion. I think debating RR HOF worthiness is pretty much obsolete. A band doesn't have a multi-generational fanbase without connecting to people, they just didn't connect with you. No biggie.

Maybe that's what you pick up if you read every other word in my posts. Chicago didn't come along during a pacified popular culture. They formed in 1967 at the height of the counter culture and their first album came out in 1969. You might have an argument had they formed in 1975. 

And Chicago did not buck any trends. They took what BS&T was already doing much better and smoothed it out for mass consumption. It's not just bland now. It was bland then, too. 

The bands that were bucking the trends in 1969 when Chicago released its first album were Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, the MC5. All of these bands are far more influential than Chicago because of this fact. 

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction is about 3 major factors: impact, influence and awesomeness. Chicago's impact was minimal as they were a slightly different pop band during an era where people were pushing the boundaries in all directions. Chicago's influence is limited to boring pop claptrap like Celine Dion. Is there a cool band from the past 40 years that cites Chicago as a major influence? NO. And Chicago is most decidedly not awesome. 

This is a band that inspires no passion even from its biggest fans. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without The Pixies, there would be no Nirvana.

I really liked Radiohead's first album, Pablo Honey. The rest of it, for me, was meh.

Exactly. Cobain said he really loved that soft-verse/loud-chorus dynamic on the Surfer Rosa album. And thus you have Nirvana's whole sound.

Agreed on Radiohead, too. Pablo Honey was great; just solid, melodic, guitar-driven rock throughout the whole thing. Somewhere after that, it seems like the band got too distracted by beeps, boops and weird effects to try something like that again--all their other stuff is way different (and in my opinion, not as good as Pablo Honey).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6lOYzbIrdc

Devo, The Replacements, Sonic Youth, Black Flag, T-Rex for goodness sakes. 

Instead we get Joan Jett (whose biggest hits were written by other people) and The Paul Butterfield Blues Band? 

Look I get it, Jan Wenner once got stoned at a Paul Butterfield concert in the 60s and wanted to **** Joan Jett when she was a teenager. But that hardly makes them more worthy of this honor than a band like Devo. 

Devo, The Replacements, Sonic Youth, Black Flag, T-Rex for goodness sakes. 

Instead we get Joan Jett (whose biggest hits were written by other people) and The Paul Butterfield Blues Band? 

Look I get it, Jan Wenner once got stoned at a Paul Butterfield concert in the 60s and wanted to **** Joan Jett when she was a teenager. But that hardly makes them more worthy of this honor than a band like Devo. 

The idea that Paul Butterfield gets inducted before John Mayall is a travesty.  Go ask Clapton, Beck, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Page and just about any great guitarist from that era if Mayall's Blues Breakers impacted the British rock scene.

As for T. Rex, for "Electric Warrior" alone, Bolan demands inclusion.  With Tony Visconti's production, T. Rex pioneered layered vocals over bizarre guitars/strings and a pounding rhythm section.  The father of glam rock should be added to the HOF.

EDIT:  This might be the first rock/rap song.

The idea that Paul Butterfield gets inducted before John Mayall is a travesty.  Go ask Clapton, Beck, Peter Green, Mick Taylor, Page and just about any great guitarist from that era if Mayall's Blues Breakers impacted the British rock scene.

As for T. Rex, for "Electric Warrior" alone, Bolan demands inclusion.  With Tony Visconti's production, T. Rex pioneered layered vocals over bizarre guitars/strings and a pounding rhythm section.  The father of glam rock should be added to the HOF.

EDIT:  This might be the first rock/rap song.

Great point, Mayall only introduced four future Hall of Famers to the world. No need for him to be in there. 

It is beyond comprehension how The Pixies are not in already. How is that even a debatable thing.

It's only beyond comprehension if you don't understand that the thing only ******* exists as post-purchase marketing directed at people who bought records when people bought records. Black Francis ain't exactly a volume scorer. How many people can there really be who give a sh*t about both the Pixies and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

It's only beyond comprehension if you don't understand that the thing only ******* exists as post-purchase marketing directed at people who bought records when people bought records. Black Francis ain't exactly a volume scorer. How many people can there really be who give a sh*t about both the Pixies and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

THE NIRVANA REUNION WAS COOL YOU CYNICAL PRICK I DONT CARE WHAT YOU SAY

I love the Pixies, top 10 favorite bands of all time and I dont give a **** about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Although I thought the Beastie Boys Tribute when they got in was pretty awesome. 

These threads are always rage inducing.....the music debates rage on just as hotly as politics and religion topics.

You like what you like and that's pretty much it, the R&R HOF has discredited itself years ago with a lot of it's head-scratching inductions. 

Mistakes by the lake. 

Indeed. 

These threads are always rage inducing.....the music debates rage on just as hotly as politics and religion topics.

You like what you like and that's pretty much it, the R&R HOF has discredited itself years ago with a lot of it's head-scratching inductions. 

Mistakes by the lake. 

The very concept of the RR HOF is laughable. Arguing over who should be in and out based on parameters like "general awesomeness" is borderline psychotic and can only be explained as some sort of self-identification ritual for those who have subscribed to a "rulebook" of taste, meaning if you are a fan of X, Y, Z then you must have this opinion on A, B, C. 

Music is art. Art is supposed to be subjective and interpreted. Subjectivity cannot be catalogued fairly, which is why it's foolish to give awards and induction into a HOF. All this does is create yet another tier of order to compartmentalize the art and the through-space around it, rather than just letting it be enjoyed. I have a very hard time not poking holes in a conversation about this.

The Replacements, Sonic Youth, Black Flag,  for goodness sakes. 

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band was brought on stage by Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival as his band and changed the course of domestic music going forward.

Mike Bloomfield's electric riffs on Maggie's Farm changed the culture and solidified electric guitar leads into our world of music (  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Dylan_controversy )

get it that you're passionate about your music, but your speech on the 3 major factors: impact, influence and awesomeness to qualify induction explains why The PBBB is rightfully being inducted and the guys wearing dog food dishes for hats aren't.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band was brought on stage by Dylan at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival as his band and changed the course of domestic music going forward.

Mike Bloomfield's electric riffs on Maggie's Farm changed the culture and solidified electric guitar leads into our world of music ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Dylan_controversy )

I get it that you're passionate about your music, but your speech on the 3 major factors: impact, influence and awesomeness to qualify induction explains why The PBBB is rightfully being inducted and the guys wearing dog food dishes for hats aren't.

Impact, influence, and awesomeness don't mean anything in a vacuum. The part you should have amped up is '1965.'

It took until 2012 for Steve Marriott to get inducted. 2012! The place is and has been a piece of sh*t establishment from the get-go.

Totally agree.  I am a huge Steve Marriott fan.  

But as I mentioned earlier, Deep Purple isn't in the HOF.  That means Stevie got in before Blackmore, Jon Lord and Ian Gillan.  I can't comprehend the level of that snub. Those guys are rock gods who are still influencing musicians.

But as I mentioned earlier, Deep Purple isn't in the HOF.  That means Stevie got in before Blackmore, Jon Lord and Ian Gillan.  I can't comprehend the level of that snub. Those guys are rock gods who are still influencing musicians.

I agree with you dude, DP was a monster force in 70's rock music. And I also agree totally on Mayall needing to be in there - a long time ago.

When I see ABBA, Donavan, Alice Cooper (who is actually more deserving than a lot of the schebs in there) The Flamingo's, Frankie Lyman, Isaac One Hit Wonder Hayes, The Impressions ...etc ... it just confirms the fact that this is less representative of reality than Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Guitar Players abortion and should only be a destination to look at memorabilia  - not a taken seriously tribute to artists.   

I agree with you dude, DP was a monster force in 70's rock music. And I also agree totally on Mayall needing to be in there - a long time ago.

When I see ABBA, Donavan, Alice Cooper (who is actually more deserving than a lot of the schebs in there) The Flamingo's, Frankie Lyman, Isaac One Hit Wonder Hayes, The Impressions ...etc ... it just confirms the fact that this is less representative of reality than Rolling Stones 100 Greatest Guitar Players abortion and should only be a destination to look at memorabilia  - not a taken seriously tribute to artists.   

Kinda found Alice Cooper's stuff later in life. This guy is a treasure. So many metal people borrowed from him  and he's never been anything but nice. Perhaps that he is now such a good guy works against him.

Didn't Bruce Springsteen get inducted but not the E-Street band?  What the hell kinda hall of fame is this?

yea he did and now he used his influence with the hoF to get his wife in there. Meanwhile Bon Jovi's name never gets mentioned or considered-not to mention the 2 dozen other groups and artists that should be in there. 

Agreed. Doesn't make any kind of sense. **** that stupid place. 

Archived