This weekend is my Super Bowl

bergenjets

Genuinely curious what you think the team "learned" from beating the Charlie Whitehurst led 2-11 Titans.

Then, what did the team learn last year by going 8-8 as opposed to 7-9 that has translated to this season?

The team learned that those late season wins in meaningless games are a big deal to Woody Johnson, and will play their hearts out against NE and Miami so that Rex gets retained.  Yay Jets!

rex-ryan1.gif?w=640&h=360

I'd agree with you, except the team didn't play well.  To me, wins and losses are a byproduct of performance.  If you perform well, your record usually takes care of itself.  In this case, as it always happens around the league, the team performed quite poorly, and still won.  In a good year, of course you love the games where you eek out a win after a poor performance.  In a bad year, this type of win really doesn't mean much.  Last year, at least the team looked pretty good in those meaningless wins.  This year, horrendous, so all that's really happening is that it's costing us draft positioning.  Just as you did, I thought the wins last year signified better things to come, but they didn't, thus kind of proving the point.  In this season, that win against the Titans is not going to translate because, most times, 9/10 times even, if the Jets play the way they did, they will lose.

I did play for terrible teams.  Thing is, if we got a win, we were excited that's true.  But then, in the next game, if we weren't playing a team just as bad.  We'd lose again.  Momentum isn't really as big a thing as people make it out to be.  Lastly, of course the players don't care about draft position.  They want to win.  But, that doesn't mean the fans feel the same way.  Honestly, I think you're overvaluing the role of the athletes psyche in this...  And dude, I'm actually a psychologist saying this... Ultimately, the better team usually wins.  This past week, the Jets may have been marginally better than another very bad team.  Next week, they play a much better team.  They usually play the Pats well, but that has nothing to do with their performance against the Titans, and they're probably going to lose, regardless of what they learned about winning last week, by more than a score.

Cool.  Agree to disagree.  I think overcoming adversity means something.  You dont.  All good.  

In reality, we are apparently "agreeing to disagree" about the definition of adversity.

If you say so.  I'm a dumb **** and you're super smart, so there is a very good chance I have no idea what adversity means.  In fact, I googled it and that just made me more confused.  So I'll just agree with you that winning that game wasnt overcoming adversity of any sort and nobody on the team learned or benefited from in any way, shape or form.

Thanks! 

I'll be rooting for the Patriots this weekend. The worst thing that could happen is for us to, god forbid, win the last two games of the season. That will give us 3 wins in 4 weeks, and Woody could potentially be convinced that progress is occurring. It's lipstick on a pig. I hope we get embarrassed in week 16 and 17.

We need a complete overhaul, and that won't happen if we win the last two.

If you say so. I'm a dumb **** and you're super smart, so there is a very good chance I have no idea what adversity means. In fact, I googled it and that just made me more confused. So I'll just agree with you that winning that game wasnt overcoming adversity of any sort and nobody on the team learned or benefited from in any way, shape or form.

Thanks!

Holy insecurities...

I'll be rooting for the Patriots this weekend. The worst thing that could happen is for us to, god forbid, win the last two games of the season. That will give us 3 wins in 4 weeks, and Woody could potentially be convinced that progress is occurring. It's lipstick on a pig. I hope we get embarrassed in week 16 and 17.

We need a complete overhaul, and that won't happen if we win the last two.

I could never root for the Pats over the Jets. Never.

No offense to the OP, but this mentality is what makes our team suck.  Rex throws accolades around like foot rubs.  Don't dump Gatorade over anybody, or carry on like you've won something important, unless you actually win the friggin' Super Bowl.

Then why do so many people fellate Bellichick and Harbaugh when one hasn't done it in well over a decade and the other has never done it.  The SB or bust mentality that pervades this site is nonsense.  You can have successful seasons and be a proud fan without wiNNing duh SUperBowlz!

For example I don't think it's possible to have any more gratification as a fan than that win in Foxboro a couple years ago.  That was awesome on multiple levels.  It's a shame people can't remember that feeling and instead obsess over Rex' D supposedly not being prepared the following week.  Must suck to find no joy unless you win it all. 

Rex and the team are gonna bring everything they have for the Pats in Rex's last home game. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), the Pats know that, too. They're not going to be taken by surprise.

Just like anything else in life, you learn and grow from experience. I think there is a lot to be said about battling through adversity and coming together to get a win during a sh*tty season. The Jets were 2-11 and on the road, so its not like they're above the Charlie Whitehurst led 2-11 Titans. Charlie is probably better than anything the Jets have at QB so I dont think its means any less because of the opponent. Its valuable for guys that are battling for a roster spot next season, for the rookies and the young guys who are going to be around for a while. Who knows what Black Monday could bring. Maybe Woody actually gets it right and finally cleans house, maybe he doesnt but its important to know what you have in certain players. Some rise to the occasion in the face of adversity, others fold.

In terms of last season, I think the way they finished really should have benefited guys like Geno, Milliner, Richardson, Winters, Coples, Davis, etc. Unfortunately, it didnt translate to this season but the league often sees teams who finish strong the year before bounce back with a solid next season and battle for the playoffs. The Steelers come to mind. They started of 2-6 last season and ended 6-2 and now they're making a playoff push. If you watch how they finished last season, this year really shouldnt be a surprise. They're much younger than they have before in the past and that experience of overcoming a slow start to finish strong, carried into this season.

I hate to pull this card, but have you ever played for a terrible team? You almost go into games expecting to lose and hoping not to get blown out. But then you get that one win, taste victory, doesnt matter the opponent and you start to gain a little confidence in your ability to make plays and it builds confidence in your teams ability to actually win. It starts to not feel so impossible anymore. That's what winning does. How did you prepare that week? What was the intensity level in practice? What was your diet? How much film did you watch? All those things you now try to mirror for weekly preparation. Sounds cheesy but its true, this is what you learn from winning.

Did you see the response of the players after the victory to the fans who were pissed because of draft position? They dont care about some kid that may or may not be a player at the next level. They care about fixing whats broken and getting a victory so they can learn to repeat it week in week out...doing it for the guy next to you that has been grinding.

Honestly, I dont see how this is lost on fans. I'm sure the cool guys will take this and run with their #learningtowin...and that's cool but this is my belief and I think coaches, players, GM's would agree.

What I Learned By Watching Jason Babin Play 59 Snaps

by IK Enkempali

Then why do so many people fellate Bellichick and Harbaugh when one hasn't done it in well over a decade and the other has never done it.  The SB or bust mentality that pervades this site is nonsense.  You can have successful seasons and be a proud fan without wiNNing duh SUperBowlz!

For example I don't think it's possible to have any more gratification as a fan than that win in Foxboro a couple years ago.  That was awesome on multiple levels.  It's a shame people can't remember that feeling and instead obsess over Rex' D supposedly not being prepared the following week.  Must suck to find no joy unless you win it all. 

You missed my point.  Fans might "orally gratify" the coaches you mention, but both those guys would not celebrate anything but winning it all.  Rex, on the other hand, is doing cannon balls into pools after beating a POS Titans team or when we go 8-8.

Also, I think the OP was equating a win sunday over the Pats as winning the "Super Bowl".  I hate that concept.  Winning this week means sh1t, even if we stick it to Belicheat.  We'll still be out of the playoffs for the fourth straight year.  That performance warrants no celebration by anybody, especially our dildonic coaching staff.

A couple years ago lol, try 4

Where you been?

A couple years ago lol, try 4

Where you been?

Also, I think the OP was equating a win sunday over the Pats as winning the "Super Bowl".  I hate that concept.  Winning this week means sh1t, even if we stick it to Belicheat.  We'll still be out of the playoffs for the fourth straight year.  That performance warrants no celebration by anybody, especially our dildonic coaching staff.

Disagree. Beating the Pats ALWAYS means something. Of course this is not "The Super Bowl", but I will have more emotion in this game than the actual Super Bowl. Hence, my Super Bowl, my last opportunity to care about the outcome of a game in a lost and wasted season. That does not mean I don't want Woody to clean house. 

'

so what , now all us sorry jets fans will go to the next city( I thinks its Chicago in 2015) to celebrate our yearly SB.

Just so everyone clearly understands, "our" in the case of SOJFan, aka bigdanNJ are his beloved Giants

Disagree. Beating the Pats ALWAYS means something. Of course this is not "The Super Bowl", but I will have more emotion in this game than the actual Super Bowl. Hence, my Super Bowl, my last opportunity to care about the outcome of a game in a lost and wasted season. That does not mean I don't want Woody to clean house. 

'

Possibly taking home-field advantage away from the Pats would be huge.  Unfortunately I can see the Jets not showing up tomorrow and Brady scoring 40+ points in fantasy.  That's too bad I have Brady in fantasy and got eliminated in the playoffs last week because Ben Roethlisberger decided he didn't need to throw in the red zone against the falcons.

Archived