ny sports writer Manish Mehta kills Idzik in article

ebonix

...www.nydailynews.com   --- ( partial reprinting below)

Before the GM engaged in questionable negotiating tactics during free agency last offseason, left the roster barren at Rex Ryan’s most valued position, whiffed on arguably the deepest wide receiver draft class in NFL history and stumbled through a disjointed midseason press conference, he botched the Darrelle Revis situation in epic fashion.

The Patriots, frankly, think the whole thing is hilarious.

It’s impossible to look at Idzik these days without hearing the theme music to The Benny Hill Show in your head. He’s become a punchline in league circles. Respect level on a 10-point scale: 0.311.

Woody Johnson is mulling a massive overhaul thanks, in part, to Idzik’s unrivaled stubbornness and fundamental lack of understanding of how to construct a winning roster.

It started by trading away Revis nearly two years ago.

The biggest myth surrounding the saga: Johnson demanded that his new general manager get rid of the Pro Bowl cornerback.

Johnson’s deep-seated disdain for Revis and his camp is a convenient narrative steeped in fiction.

There's really no arguing he blew the draft, especially at the WR position, and he left us in a bad situation at CB that went to worse once Patterson went AWOL (not like he was anything special anyways) and Milliner went down.

Bringing back Cro for a similar deal like Arizona offered was a much better low risk high reward option than Patterson. I can live with not resigning Revis, although I wanted him back I can see the logic behind that move.

Either way I don't want Idzik anywhere near our top draft pick or involved in hiring our next HC.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Strictly a case of Manish being bitch slapped a few times and getting cranky about it.  I have no problem with people going after Idzik for the things he truly had a major hand in.  That being the draft and mainly his patterson FA choice.  Revis was not coming back here, go ask the owner of the team if he would endorse him coming back.

Just for fun, here's what Mehta wrote the day after the trade happened:

Although Rex Ryan said last month that the initial trade speculation was “ridiculous” and a deal was not a “foregone conclusion,” Revis’ departure was, in fact, a fait accompli before Idzik was even hired in January.

After firing Mike Tannenbaum the day after the Jets finished 6-10, Johnson made it clear to prospective G.M. candidates during the interview process that the team needed an exit strategy for Revis, who was rehabbing a season-ending ACL injury suffered in Week 3.

Idzik is a below average GM but from all reports, honest, hard working, a good citizen and person

Mehta World Sleaze is, OTOH, a disgusting little rodent, a lazy and incompetent writer and an all around lowlife who should be covering, instead of football, Yak racing, field hockey and cricket

...www.nydailynews.com   --- ( partial reprinting below)

Before the GM engaged in questionable negotiating tactics during free agency last offseason, left the roster barren at Rex Ryan’s most valued position, whiffed on arguably the deepest wide receiver draft class in NFL history and stumbled through a disjointed midseason press conference, he botched the Darrelle Revis situation in epic fashion.

It’s impossible to look at Idzik these days without hearing the theme music to The Benny Hill Show in your head. He’s become a punchline in league circles. Respect level on a 10-point scale: 0.311.

Woody Johnson is mulling a massive overhaul thanks, in part, to Idzik’s unrivaled stubbornness and fundamental lack of understanding of how to construct a winning roster.

The biggest myth surrounding the saga: Johnson demanded that his new general manager get rid of the Pro Bowl cornerback.

Johnson’s deep-seated disdain for Revis and his camp is a convenient narrative steeped in fiction.

I read that article and agree completely. Instead of Benny Hill however when it comes to Rex, Woody and Idzik what could be more appropriate than Three Stooges theme music.

Idzik is a below average GM but from all reports, honest, hard working, a good citizen and person

Mehta World Sleaze is, OTOH, a disgusting little rodent, a lazy and incompetent writer and an all around lowlife who should be covering, instead of football, Yak racing, field hockey and cricket

Who cares if Idzik is a good guy? He sucks at what he is PAID to do and THAT is what he should be judged on. I am a nice guy so I can be the next Jets GM?

Although Rex Ryan said last month that the initial trade speculation was “ridiculous” and a deal was not a “foregone conclusion,” Revis’ departure was, in fact, a fait accompli before Idzik was even hired in January.

After firing Mike Tannenbaum the day after the Jets finished 6-10, Johnson made it clear to prospective G.M. candidates during the interview process that the team needed an exit strategy for Revis, who was rehabbing a season-ending ACL injury suffered in Week 3.

lol

There's really no arguing he blew the draft, especially at the WR position, and he left us in a bad situation at CB that went to worse once Patterson went AWOL (not like he was anything special anyways) and Milliner went down.

Bringing back Cro for a similar deal like Arizona offered was a much better low risk high reward option than Patterson. I can live with not resigning Revis, although I wanted him back I can see the logic behind that move.

Either way I don't want Idzik anywhere near our top draft pick or involved in hiring our next HC.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Idzik should be kept far, far away from ANY more personnel moves made by the Jets whether it is hiring a HC or drafting players. Whether you think Calvin Pryor is playing out of position or whatever, he should NOT have been the Jets first choice in the draft. Safety was pretty far down on priority list in the draft and I instantly questioned the pick. Would rather have had Kyle Fuller from Va.Tech.

lol

In things like this on which he should be called out...Publicly.  It's just ridiculous that he gets away with writing whatever he wants, regardless of truth and he simply continues to get away with it...

Who cares if Idzik is a good guy? He sucks at what he is PAID to do and THAT is what he should be judged on. I am a nice guy so I can be the next Jets GM?

I said he was a below average GM. I think he should be fired.

Maybe you should try learning how to read before ignorantly attacking other posters

So, Woody Johnson was for trading Revis before he was against it.

Uh,

"According to sources, owner Woody Johnson has told the Jets’ brain trust that it should move on from Revis, who is a little more than four months removed from season-ending knee surgery and is expected to command a new multi-year deal ranging anywhere from $12 million to $16 million per season." Manish Mehta, 3/6/13 NYDN

Does this Manish Mehta guy read Manish Mehta, since this must be 2 different people?

The problem is Mike.T decided to go Scout mode his last two years+two years of JI=another 4 years wasted. Brick and to a lesser extent Mangold have been wasted.

Just another year in jetland. This teams been rebuilding forever with nothing to show for it!

The problem is Mike.T decided to go Scout mode his last two years+two years of JI=another 4 years wasted. Brick and to a lesser extent Mangold have been wasted.

Just another year in jetland. This teams been rebuilding forever with nothing to show for it!

I don't care how many times you guys write it, JI is not John Idzik, it is jetsinsider - and I probably haven't posted there since 2007.  Couple that with a Scout reference and this whole post reads like some kind of coded complaint about a certain webmaster. 

Archived