Let's all play 2015 NY Jet GM....

CanadaSteve

Jason knows more about this than any of us and here is his take:

Defensive End Muhammad Wilkerson is not coming off the kind of season he had in 2013, which should make for an easier negotiation. If they work quickly to extend him they can roll his $6.969 million salary into his new contract guarantee, giving them more long term protection if he plays poorly. It’s a hard position to gauge but he will likely end up as an $11M-$12M a year player and the Jets gain nothing by waiting to extend him.

http://overthecap.com/jets-2015-salary-cap-outlook/

Market value is not necessarily overpaying.

So with holes galore on both sides of the roster we're supposed to commit another $10 mil in cap room to a guy who is basically commited to us the next 2 seasons (if we use franchise tag in 2016) and we even have depth on the roster behind him?

We didn't work out an extension for a more valuable player like Revis in '13 who we had no replacement for but we have to commit a $50 million deal to Wilk who we do have replacement for because God forbid we might have to trade him for a pick in 2016.

So with holes galore on both sides of the roster we're supposed to commit another $10 mil in cap room to a guy who is basically commited to us the next 2 seasons (if we use franchise tag in 2016) and we even have depth on the roster behind him?

We didn't work out an extension for a more valuable player like Revis in '13 who we had no replacement for but we have to commit a $50 million deal to Wilk who we do have replacement for because God forbid we might have to trade him for a pick in 2016.

What replacement?

Move Coples to DE. Trade Wilk for a 1st round pick.

We probably need Babin and Pace for one more season and they're both fine.  Keep'em

Cooper isn't falling to us at 6 keep dreaming guys.  Unless the teams ahead of us start winning games we're stuck at 6 and Melvin Gordon is the pick (please, no more crappy need based bust draft picks on defense).

Cut Chris Johnson since we're drafting Gordon and will get cap savings.

Cut Harvin before it's too late.

Trade a draft pick for Mike Glennon.

Sign Mike Iupati and Darrelle Revis.

Fire Idzik.

GM - Pay $$$ Parcells or Holmgren to come here.

HC - Let Parcells or Holmgren pick whoever they want.

Regarding Cooper, he may not even be the first receiver taken as Kevin White seems to be moving up the draft boards and some now project him going to the Raiders at 4 and not Cooper.  Personally I prefer White or Parker over Cooper anyway.  I just do see him dominating in the NFL.  Don't get me wrong I think he is going to be a very good receiver; I just think White and Parker will be better. 

You understand what the tag is going to be next year 17mill at minimum. Watt and McCoy are already close to 19, Mario Williams is close to 17, Suh is going to get close to 18-19. You don't get Wilkenson for 7 this year and 10 or 11 next year on the tag. . He is going to make 24 mill over the next two years.

Regarding Cooper, he may not even be the first receiver taken as Kevin White seems to be moving up the draft boards and some now project him going to the Raiders at 4 and not Cooper. Personally I prefer White or Parker over Cooper anyway. I just do see him dominating in the NFL. Don't get me wrong I think he is going to be a very good receiver; I just think White and Parker will be better.

Cooper will be the first receiver drafted. You don't get 124 catches 1700 yards and 16tds in the toughest conference in college by accident and he has the physical intangibles to translate to the nfl.

I wish you were right and Cooper fell to 6

Archived