Jets projected at #6 to take Amari Cooper as per Mcshay

CobraVerde

What do you think of Mschay's pick?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Do You like taking Amari Cooper @ #6?

• Yes. Good Deal. We need offensive firepower
    • No. Should move up to get either Winston or Mariotta. Do what you gotta do.
    • No. Should get someone else at #6 (please state who in post) or move down for more picks

Cooper just doesn't look like a top 10 pick to me. His route tree is pretty sharp for his age, but he is not very elusive with the ball in his hands and his size is below average. This is not Julio Jones, he's more like Maclin from Philly. We have been waiting for a #1 WR since Meeshawn.

This is a deep O-line draft and we have a major need. I'd try anything to trade down and make our 1st pick a tackle.

Not Elusive????? what games are you watching mon? this kid is better than Julio and I love me some Julio

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take someone else (depends who's available - it's a long ways away but probably an edge rusher or an offensive lineman) or move down. Cooper will "slide" between now and draft day. Feels like this happens every year, particularly with Lane Kiffin WR's. While he's a reasonably good bet to be a solid NFL receiver, he has no physical traits that would lead you to believe he's going to be able to make plays when NFL defenses focus on stopping him. And to warrant taking a WR that high, he's got to be that kind of a player.

Watch old college footage of A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Sammy Watkins, Calvin Johnson, even Dez Bryant who was a top ten talent but slipped due to off the field concerns - Cooper's good and putting up numbers but not on their level. Or compare him to the guys who came out last year, I think maybe he would've been the fourth best WR talent in that draft, especially when you look at those kinds of traits (making big plays after the catch, going up and getting contested balls). You pass at 6.

How is Cooper a "Kiffin WR"? Kiffin has been the OC for 1 year, Cooper is a junior.

I watched AJ Green and Julio Jones get shut down by Joe Haden and Janoris Jenkins when the defense "focused" on them.  They turned out alright. This year I watched Cooper eat Vernon Hargreaves alive, who is a first team all-american, future 1st rounder lockdown CB and might be better than both of those other guys.

Kids special.  He's got big play ability, he's very good with ball in hands and he's as pure of a WR as you get.

If the Jets landed Cooper, they'd be very lucky.

How is Cooper a "Kiffin WR"? Kiffin has been the OC for 1 year, Cooper is a junior.

I watched AJ Green and Julio Jones get shut down by Joe Haden and Janoris Jenkins when the defense "focused" on them.  They turned out alright. This year I watched Cooper eat Vernon Hargreaves alive, who is a first team all-american, future 1st rounder lockdown CB and might be better than both of those other guys.

Kids special.  He's got big play ability, he's very good with ball in hands and he's as pure of a WR as you get.

I'm not saying Kiffin groomed him. He's playing in Kiffin's system this year. That system inflates #1 WR stats. Happened with Lee, happened with Woods before Lee. Those guys put up huge numbers, everyone thought they were going to be top 10 picks, turned out they were really average physically and went in the second round. I think Cooper's better than they were, but guys in that system get overhyped because they put up absolutely silly numbers. 

Wide receivers who go in the top 10 are absolute physical freaks, along with being good wide receivers. I've watched a good amount of Cooper, and don't think he falls into that category. Probably above average across the board, not special athletically. I think he's a good wide receiver and supposedly a ridiculously hard worker so he'll probably be a good NFL player, I just don't think he fits the stud #1 WR profile. I'll certainly agree to disagree and we'll see how things shake out.

These mock drafts are absolutely worthless and 100% inaccurate at this point. Who cares. If this was 1-2 weeks from the actual draft I'd pay some attention to it but we're like half a year away. You might as well just throw out random names and be more accurate than these so called experts are. Winston could go in round 5 for all we know.

we're jets fans draft only thing we have to hope on

I'm not saying Kiffin groomed him. He's playing in Kiffin's system this year. That system inflates #1 WR stats. Happened with Lee, happened with Woods before Lee. Those guys put up huge numbers, everyone thought they were going to be top 10 picks, turned out they were really average physically and went in the second round. I think Cooper's better than they were, but guys in that system get overhyped because they put up absolutely silly numbers. 

Wide receivers who go in the top 10 are absolute physical freaks, along with being good wide receivers. I've watched a good amount of Cooper, and don't think he falls into that category. Probably above average across the board, not special athletically. I think he's a good wide receiver and supposedly a ridiculously hard worker so he'll probably be a good NFL player, I just don't think he fits the stud #1 WR profile. I'll certainly agree to disagree and we'll see how things shake out.

He had over 1000 yards receiving and 11 TD's his freshman year.

Do you consider Sammy Watkins a "physical freak"?...because they are the same size and will probably run a very similar 40.  Tavon Austin is midget and went 8th overall.

I always believed you knew your sh1t lol

People who believe Cooper is not a top 5 talent, are watching the wrong sport.

If it be the next Walter Jones or Joe Thomas I'm all for it.

I love this reference.  I keep hearing how Parcells valued the players in the trenches and builds his teams from the lines out, but he managed to trade out of #1 overall (where Orlando Pace went) to #6 overall (where Walter Jones went) to draft Farrior  Farrior had a nice enough career, but Parcells basically benched him.  He could never rush the passer much and was a failure as an OLB (why Parcells drafted him).  Farrior didn't have any real success until he was moved inside by Herm.  He had one good year and left as a FA for the Steelers.  The bounty for trading down away from HOF OTs?  Hard to say because he traded down so many damn times, but we ended up with Terry Day, Leon Johnson, Dedric Ward, Chuck Clements, Jason Ferguson,  That haul doesn't even seem that bad, but they had additional trade downs that netted more/better picks moving the 3rd that the Broncos used to get Dan Neill who started like 100 games for them at G and has 2 rings.  Parcells obviously valued the line more than these other coaches, 3 of whom traded picks to pick lineman.  Ferguson was the only + starter of the group and he was in the 7th.  Day and Clements did not deserve to make it out of their first camp.  Idzikian.

Cooper just doesn't look like a top 10 pick to me. His route tree is pretty sharp for his age, but he is not very elusive with the ball in his hands and his size is below average. This is not Julio Jones, he's more like Maclin from Philly. We have been waiting for a #1 WR since Meeshawn.

This is a deep O-line draft and we have a major need. I'd try anything to trade down and make our 1st pick a tackle.

If Idzik feels the same way, he'll wait 'till the fourth round to take a tackle.

I think the OL problems are overblown on this board, and prefer a sexier pick (today, I'd take Cooper here if that was an option), but I wouldn't be opposed to a mauler LT at the top of the draft - a guy you could play at RT for a couple years (potentially), moving Breno inside to guard. That would be an OL that would be hard to complain about.

If Idzik feels the same way, he'll wait 'till the fourth round to take a tackle.

I think the OL problems are overblown on this board, and prefer a sexier pick (today, I'd take Cooper here if that was an option), but I wouldn't be opposed to a mauler LT at the top of the draft - a guy you could play at RT for a couple years (potentially), moving Breno inside to guard. That would be an OL that would be hard to complain about.

They've been pretty bad in pass protection. Geno doesnt help...but the line has not been good. It's also the quickest fix in terms of turning a team around with shaky(to say the least) QB play.

They've been pretty bad in pass protection. Geno doesnt help...but the line has not been good. It's also the quickest fix in terms of turning a team around with shaky(to say the least) QB play.

Like I said, I wouldn't be opposed if a LT turned out to be the BAP when they pick. It's something of a need, I just think it's overblown here. It doesn't come close to the needs at QB, CB, or any kind of offensive playmaker.

Like I said, I wouldn't be opposed if a LT turned out to be the BAP when they pick. It's something of a need, I just think it's overblown here. It doesn't come close to the needs at QB, CB, or any kind of offensive playmaker.

I just hope we take the best player on the board....something we seemingly never do.

Cooper is fine...idk if he's a top 10 talent though. Rashad Greene in the later rounds would be a decent consolation as they're similar players after the catch.

FWIW - Cooper had a career day vs. Hargreaves.  Whereas, Rashard couldnt get open vs him.

I think Rashard is going to be a nice slot guy.  I dont he's someone who can consistently beat physical corners in the league like Cooper lining up on the outside. 

FWIW - Cooper had a career day vs. Hargreaves.  Whereas, Rashard couldnt get open vs him.

I think Rashard is going to be a nice slot guy.  I dont he's someone who can consistently beat physical corners in the league like Cooper lining up on the outside. 

Didnt Cooper struggle against LSU's corner? Forget his name...I like Cooper a lot....but I think you'll have to move him around a bit and create stuff for him. He's not just going to line up and take the top off like he does in college.

Didnt Cooper struggle against LSU's corner? Forget his name...I like Cooper a lot....but I think you'll have to move him around a bit and create stuff for him. He's not just going to line up and take the top off like he does in college.

Not that I recall...the only bad game he had this year was vs. Arkansas. 

I think Cooper has a lot more speed than people are giving him credit for this thread.  He runs away from defenders, a lot.

Not that I recall...the only bad game he had this year was vs. Arkansas. 

I think Cooper has a lot more speed than people are giving him credit for this thread.  He runs away from defenders, a lot.

Cooper also has Blake Sims throwing him the ball, when he gets a real QB...watch out

Mini Cooper is the ideal player for the Jets. Once he gets a grip on the game, Jets can then draft a QB who will have established WRs in Coops n Decks rather than drafting a QB, then trading for a couple of WRs mid yr, and finally drafting a 2nd round bust for him. 

He had over 1000 yards receiving and 11 TD's his freshman year.

Do you consider Sammy Watkins a "physical freak"?...because they are the same size and will probably run a very similar 40.  Tavon Austin is midget and went 8th overall.

Austin's draft was atrocious. Two guards went in the top ten. And Watkins appeared stronger and faster at Clemson. Plus he was extremely explosive after the catch, like a running back with the ball in his hands. Cooper is not. Austin also has been a huge bust, though he was outstanding after the catch in college as well.

Again, obviously we disagree here. I think Cooper's going to measure in lighter than he's listed - he's certainly not as strong as Watkins. And I don't think he's as fast as Watkins either. We'll see how things shake out. My opinion isn't for lack of watching the guys - people disagree on this stuff all the time.

Austin's draft was atrocious. Two guards went in the top ten. And Watkins appeared stronger and faster at Clemson. Plus he was extremely explosive after the catch, like a running back with the ball in his hands. Cooper is not. Austin also has been a huge bust, though he was outstanding after the catch in college as well.

Again, obviously we disagree here. I think Cooper's going to measure in lighter than he's listed - he's certainly not as strong as Watkins. And I don't think he's as fast as Watkins either. We'll see how things shake out. My opinion isn't for lack of watching the guys - people disagree on this stuff all the time.

All good brother, I'm just giving you examples of 2 guys recently who went top 10 that arent "physical freaks", like you said earlier.

I get Cooper doesnt have the same qualities as AJ, Calvin and Julio, but that doesnt mean that he's not going top 5. 

All good brother, I'm just giving you examples of 2 guys recently who went top 10 that arent "physical freaks", like you said earlier.

I get Cooper doesnt have the same qualities as AJ, Calvin and Julio, but that doesnt mean that he's not going top 5. 

I want Jameis. I think.

Oh yeah, I've got you. Trust me, I follow the draft religiously, I recall both guys going top 10. I do think both had special attributes - namely YAC ability. I think Cooper's best talent is getting open right now - that's so much harder to translate when you're going against polished NFL corners.

If you double, guys like Julio and Green can jump over two guys, Watkins can run over/around them. I'm not sure what Cooper's going to do to make a play if he's doubled.

Really the reason I think Cooper's going to fall is that we've seen this happen before. Maybe the difference between him and Lee/Woods is that he's coming off a good season when they came off of down years. I just think 6'1, 205 running in the 4.48 range isn't going to get him in the top 10. That's what he looks like to me at least, then he'll "fall" due to a bad combine but I think he just is who he is. Maybe I'm wrong and he absolutely kills the 40, but he doesn't look special fast to me.

You're a Florida fan obviously, I'll have to re-watch that game tonight and see if I missed some things. My recollection is that he had a boatload of targets and a ton of that production came on a busted coverage.

The meaningless Win blow any chance of Cooper.

I think this is true. I just don't see Jokeland passing up on Cooper. If that happens, I hope we end up in a mega trade or something and drop to the 20s while picking up a 2nd and another 1st in 2016 or something similar. 

Oh yeah, I've got you. Trust me, I follow the draft religiously, I recall both guys going top 10. I do think both had special attributes - namely YAC ability. I think Cooper's best talent is getting open right now - that's so much harder to translate when you're going against polished NFL corners.

If you double, guys like Julio and Green can jump over two guys, Watkins can run over/around them. I'm not sure what Cooper's going to do to make a play if he's doubled.

Really the reason I think Cooper's going to fall is that we've seen this happen before. Maybe the difference between him and Lee/Woods is that he's coming off a good season when they came off of down years. I just think 6'1, 205 running in the 4.48 range isn't going to get him in the top 10. That's what he looks like to me at least, then he'll "fall" due to a bad combine but I think he just is who he is. Maybe I'm wrong and he absolutely kills the 40, but he doesn't look special fast to me.

You're a Florida fan obviously, I'll have to re-watch that game tonight and see if I missed some things. My recollection is that he had a boatload of targets and a ton of that production came on a busted coverage.

Watkins ran 4.43 in combine, u really think 4.48 is that much different LOL

Cooper has 1 thing Sammie doesn't have, the desire to be the best to ever play

I know what you are saying about a sexier pick. I just don't see a stud QB or WR in the top 15 of this draft. And we certainly can't chase a pass rusher considering all of the defensive 1st rounders we have wasted picks on over the past decade. It's time to focus on offense.

I really cant stand the kid but how the F do you pass on him if he's there? 

Because he's awful.

How the F do you draft someone in the top 5 who has 17 INT in 12 games, playing against ACC defenses? Unless you're just looking to steal the back pages of the NYP and NYDN.

But considering I'm talking to someone who regards Rex Ryan as a top 5 NFL coach, it stands to reason that you'd think Jameis Winston is a promising NFL prospect.

Because he's awful.

How the F do you draft someone in the top 5 who has 17 INT in 12 games, playing against ACC defenses? Unless you're just looking to steal the back pages of the NYP and NYDN.

But considering I'm talking to someone who regards Rex Ryan as a top 5 NFL coach, it stands to reason that you'd think Jameis Winston is a promising NFL prospect.

The picks are a little high this year...but the kid makes adjustments at the line, figures out defenses and then picks them apart. Its a pro style offense, he can play under center. Not a perfect prospect by any means...but his coaches and teammates both love him. He's not Jamarcus Russell. He's not the first QB to be goofy...his personality actually reminds me of Harbaugh's when he was playing.

I hope Amari drops to our draft slot, and then we trade out if it.

Carolina picks at 11. Think they'd wanna pair up Benjamin with Cooper? I do. For a second round pick. I take that trade and aim for DGB, Jalean Strong, or Davante Parker at the top of the second round.

I hope Amari drops to our draft slot, and then we trade out if it.

Carolina picks at 11. Think they'd wanna pair up Benjamin with Cooper? I do. For a second round pick. I take that trade and aim for DGB, Jalean Strong, or Davante Parker at the top of the second round.

they already got Cotchery teamed up with Benjamin, they are fine.

We need  Cooper.

The picks are a little high this year...but the kid makes adjustments at the line, figures out defenses and then picks them apart. Its a pro style offense, he can play under center. Not a perfect prospect by any means...but his coaches and teammates both love him. He's not Jamarcus Russell. He's not the first QB to be goofy...his personality actually reminds me of Harbaugh's when he was playing.

He will be worse than Geno Smith, but unlike Geno we will be wedded to him for 3 years minimum due to where he will be drafted.

If we're dumb enough to draft him, every "fan" that lobbied for him will IMO be every bit as culpable for the fallout as the FO/GM that drafts him.

And he doesn't pick apart sh*t - he dumps the ball off to Greene or O'Leary who do 99% of the work…and he's playing behind an O-Line with 3 guys who will go no later than the 2nd round.

Jameis is the beneficiary of playing on that team; their success is in spite of him, not because of him.

they already got Cotchery teamed up with Benjamin, they are fine.

We need Cooper.

When it's all said and done, Cooper won't even be the best WR of this class. Getting comparable talent at WR while also building up the OL (with the same pick) is the better way to go.

Archived